Texas & OK ask to join SEC? | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Texas & OK ask to join SEC?

Reaction Score
The Big 10 needs to get bigger to diversify away its exposure to Ohio State and Michigan leaving,

That's like saying I need to diversify away from my heart so I'm not so dependent on it for life.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Alston would have revolutionized recruiting if everything had stayed the same. The blatant cheating schools like Auburn and Alabama had a massive advantage in a world where other schools were not cheating or just pushing the envelope on the edges. Now, everyone can pay their players, and literally any school can compete for top talent if it has a good marketing department. It is no longer about selling tickets or tradition, it is about turning high profile athletes into spokespeople, even on a local level, and then monetizing that in real time.

It is important to note that the ruling does not allow schools to pay players directly, it just says that the schools can not stop them from making additional income on their name, image and likeness. The schools still have a standing agreement between themselves to not pay players, for what that is worth.

What brand business isn't looking at a massive school like UCF and wondering how do we get more access to that customer base? One thing is for certain in this new environment, you got to play to get paid. The days of 5*s sitting on the bench for 3 years with the hope of playing their junior or senior year are OVER. It will be much more difficult for schools to stockpile talent, because recruits are leaving hundreds of thousands of dollars on the table by not playing. It appears that a lot of the blue blood football schools reached this exact conclusion as Alston was working its way to the Supreme Court, because now we have the Super-SEC. The SEC is making a power play to wipe out its competition under the old recruiting model before their competitive advantage evaporates under the new recruiting model.

In a world where advertising and brands dominate, schools that have new or untapped markets can compete for talent with the top programs in the country. UConn and UMass both reside in big, wealthy markets that are very attractive to advertisers. It is very realistic that players at those two schools can attract big time talent that will get paid very, very well. Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd are about to prove that. If you are a 4* cornerback from Florida, do you want to go to FSU or UF where you can ride the bench and maybe get on the field in your 4th or 5th year if you are lucky, making maybe $25k a year along the way, if that, or go to UConn or UMass where you will be a 4 year starter, earning $100k+ a season for 4 years?

Anyone who says kids will go to the major programs to sit on the bench with the hope of playing their senior year when they could be making 3-4x that starting at a lower tier program is an idiot.

If I were the Big 10, I would add Kansas, UConn, UMass and maybe OSU or WVU, offering $10MM a year at first, and putting them all on an earn-in program where they have to show that they are additive on a revenue basis before they get full shares, if they ever get full shares. On some level, put them on an earn-in, performance based revenue split and tell them it will be revisited in 10 years. 10 years is an eternity, but the Big 10 needs to broaden its footprint now.

I'm not entirely sure how the Big12 can't backfill with the AAC/MWC leftovers at 8 teams, but the big ten at 14 teams should add 4 teams from the Big12/Indy ranks.

UConn and UMass football tv deals combine for like $1M annually.. and the big ten needs to subsidize us and them to the tune of $20M?

Reaction Score
If the aforementioned TV consultants are correct in their estimate that Oklahoma and Texas generated 50 percent of that value, then the Left-Behind 8 would expect to see that number drop to $12 million per school.
in other words, still more than the AAC pays out per school.

Reaction Score
Also the B1G has put a lot of its eggs in the rust belt and farm country. Probably best to diversify given population trends.
People; why did the B1G add Rutgers?? Maryland?? Wth?? Rutgers sucks at everything!

Same people; the B1G needs to diversify. Too many Midwestern farms.

There are only so many options. Aside from OU/TX (and Notre Dame), the next two schools the B1G would like would be UVA & UNC, but that’s not happening. UMass? Seriously?

This is why, IMO, Kansas is an easy #15. Contiguous, AAU status and basketball blueblood = academics & national brand. Those are very rare. Football sucks but oh well. Who else is there?? #16+ is the big question (((imo))).

UConn makes sense as well in many ways. Contiguous, elite basketball brand, more eastern expansion. AAU might be the problem.

Reaction Score
The guy who could have helped us get into AAU is Tom Katsouleas. But unfortunately, he is no longer president.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
People; why did the B1G add Rutgers?? Maryland?? Wth?? Rutgers sucks at everything!

Same people; the B1G needs to diversify. Too many Midwestern farms.

There are only so many options. Aside from OU/TX (and Notre Dame), the next two schools the B1G would like would be UVA & UNC, but that’s not happening. UMass? Seriously?

This is why, IMO, Kansas is an easy #15. Contiguous, AAU status and basketball blueblood = academics & national brand. Those are very rare. Football sucks but oh well. Who else is there?? #16+ is the big question (((imo))).

UConn makes sense as well in many ways. Contiguous, elite basketball brand, more eastern expansion. AAU might be the problem.
AAU is meaningless when you see some of the members. And UConn has an ag school/is land grant, FWIW.

Reaction Score
Aren’t we still pursuing AAU? I remember reading somewhere that we were a few years away, but very close to inclusion. Does anyone have any idea where this stands today?

Reaction Score
Aren’t we still pursuing AAU? I remember reading somewhere that we were a few years away, but very close to inclusion. Does anyone have any idea where this stands today?
Had not heard that. Would be awesome if true. The only thing is the people that get to decide if you can be a member are for the most part the same ones that get decide if you're P5 or not. A true good ol' boys club that they like to protect.

Reaction Score
UMass has no hope of getting into the Big Ten right now. Before, drop football, and now, add UMass??? Stop embarrassing us.

Reaction Score
This is why, IMO, Kansas is an easy #15. Contiguous, AAU status and basketball blueblood = academics & national brand. Those are very rare. Football sucks but oh well.
that last bit is kinda the most important part of the calculus though. really really hope KU has to join the AAC or conversely the big12 remnants backfill with some AAC midmajors, maybe BYU. dont want any of them finding P4 life rafts. reality check for these schools. KU is the UConn of the plains.

Last edited:

Orc

Reaction Score
West Virginia is on the wrong side of all demographic arguments.

Can’t fault them for hooring themselves out to the Acc. At least they’re doing something and not just “monitoring” the situatiation

Reaction Score
AAU is meaningless when you see some of the members. And UConn has an ag school/is land grant, FWIW.

That’s fine. AAU is the marker the B1G, and most everyone, has historically used. Which schools??

that last bit is kinda the most important part of the calculus though. really really hope KU has to join the AAC or conversely the big12 remnants backfill with some AAC midmajors, maybe BYU. dont want any of them finding P4 life rafts. reality check for these schools. KU is the UConn of the plains.

But like I said, who else is there? What football powerhouse is just out there floating around? What’s more important, adding land or adding brands? Bc the KU bball brand (+AAU) is the biggest thing available on the table (aside from raiding the PAC which I would hate to see).

Reaction Score
Orc is totally right. Colleges that wait for the invite without pushing themselves, wind up in subpar or no conferences at all

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
BAHAHAHAHAHA

Adding UMass because it's located in a wealthy region ... by this logic, everyone should be going whole hog to land Fordham or Fairfield.

Cable boxes. It is all about cable boxes and tradition.

Edit: I am being sarcastic. I bet you think that wins and losses matter in this too.

Reaction Score
But like I said, who else is there? What football powerhouse is just out there floating around? What’s more important, adding land or adding brands? Bc the KU bball brand (+AAU) is the biggest thing available on the table (aside from raiding the PAC which I would hate to see).
as a PAC fan i agree and dont think it would happen given their allegiance with the BIG10 and the geographic constraints. LA to NJ and MD is absurd. i'd like to see a scheduling agreement instead.

but to your question there is no school besides ND that would increase the BIG10's revenue enough to offset the 1/15th share the current schools would have to pay out. that's the only number that matters.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm not entirely sure how the Big12 can't backfill with the AAC/MWC leftovers at 8 teams, but the big ten at 14 teams should add 4 teams from the Big12/Indy ranks.

UConn and UMass football tv deals combine for like $1M annually.. and the big ten needs to subsidize us and them to the tune of $20M?

The Big 10 needs to beat whatever any school it adds is making by a few million dollars. That is all they have to do. Or the Big 10 can do nothing, and failure will be guaranteed. The Pac 12/Big 10 merger idea is terrible. Trucking olympic sports around the country is a terrible idea, and a lot of the athletes will simply refuse to do it. It won't work for basketball either. Remote outposts generally do not do well in basketball.

People, like several in this thread, who thinks realignment will be decided between brand names from the 80's should stop posting on the topic.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
as a PAC fan i agree and dont think it would happen given their allegiance with the BIG10 and the geographic constraints. LA to NJ and MD is absurd. i'd like to see a scheduling agreement instead.

but to your question there is no school besides ND that would increase the BIG10's revenue enough to offset the 1/15th share the current schools would have to pay out. that's the only number that matters.

Everyone does not need to get an equal share.

Reaction Score
Everyone does not need to get an equal share.
if they arent increasing revenue proportionately why include them at all?? that's charity not business.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
but to your question there is no school besides ND that would increase the BIG10's revenue enough to offset the 1/15th share of the profit the current schools would have to pay out. that's the only number that matters.
That’s all good. Then we go back to the original topic that started some of the posts; does the B1G need to expand or potentially be left in the dust, or can they hold firm?? I’m of the opinion they can hold firm and only add if there is value. They might be a #2 to the SEC overall, but they will be an incredibly strong #2 and doing it on their own terms/values (instead of ESPN hand puppets)

The idea of anyone leaving the B1G is a non-starter and any action bc of that fear won’t happen. We have a GOR too (we were the first bc we had the first conf network).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
if they arent increasing revenue proportionately why include them at all?? that's charity not business

Why does any M&A occur anywhere in the world? Because the buyer and seller find a price where a combination between the two is mutually beneficial.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom