Texas & OK ask to join SEC? | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Texas & OK ask to join SEC?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The guy who could have helped us get into AAU is Tom Katsouleas. But unfortunately, he is no longer president.
He was too busy trying to study up so he could understand the Boneyard.
1627406762965.png

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Everyone can be in one of two camps:

1) You believe that college sports will consolidate to a handful of super powers that dominate across sports and every other school drops to D2 or effectively eliminates their athletic program; or

2) The Alston case will re-fragment college athletics because the major powers can't dominate by cheating anymore.

Every post in this and the other threads falls under one of those two schools of thought about what will happen in realignment.

Reaction Score
Why does any M&A occur anywhere in the world? Because the buyer and seller find a price where a combination between the two is mutually beneficial.
ok if the PAC only has to pay each of the big12 refugees $12 million a year (half that for k-state) to merge into a 20 team conference then i'm all for it.

otherwise the PAC and BIG stand to benefit more by snuffing out their competition and having a Power4 then by carrying dead weight.

Reaction Score
The Big 10 needs to beat whatever any school it adds is making by a few million dollars. That is all they have to do. Or the Big 10 can do nothing, and failure will be guaranteed. The Pac 12/Big 10 merger idea is terrible. Trucking olympic sports around the country is a terrible idea, and a lot of the athletes will simply refuse to do it. It won't work for basketball either. Remote outposts generally do not do well in basketball.

People, like several in this thread, who thinks realignment will be decided between brand names from the 80's should stop posting on the topic.
Do you have any real ideas who the B1G should add, or are you content just saying they’ll fail if they don’t add anyone?
Everyone does not need to get an equal share.
Which goes against the B1G fundamental values. Not sure you understand the core values of the B1G, or the depth of our history. When half the conf is spending close to $1B/yr on research, they are going to be much more selective and much more mutually respectful. It’s about much more than football games. The B1G doesn’t HAVE to do anything.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The Big 10 needs to beat whatever any school it adds is making by a few million dollars. That is all they have to do. Or the Big 10 can do nothing, and failure will be guaranteed. The Pac 12/Big 10 merger idea is terrible. Trucking olympic sports around the country is a terrible idea, and a lot of the athletes will simply refuse to do it. It won't work for basketball either. Remote outposts generally do not do well in basketball.

People, like several in this thread, who thinks realignment will be decided between brand names from the 80's should stop posting on the topic.

Have fun selling to Ohio State and Michigan football season ticket holders conference games against UConn, UMass, Rutgers, and Maryland.

Tv revenue is huge.. but it's not everything that encompasses an athletic departments revenue.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
People; why did the B1G add Rutgers?? Maryland?? Wth?? Rutgers sucks at everything!

Same people; the B1G needs to diversify. Too many Midwestern farms.

There are only so many options. Aside from OU/TX (and Notre Dame), the next two schools the B1G would like would be UVA & UNC, but that’s not happening. UMass? Seriously?

This is why, IMO, Kansas is an easy #15. Contiguous, AAU status and basketball blueblood = academics & national brand. Those are very rare. Football sucks but oh well. Who else is there?? #16+ is the big question (((imo))).

UConn makes sense as well in many ways. Contiguous, elite basketball brand, more eastern expansion. AAU might be the problem.

Colorado is the better partner to go with KU. Rapidly growing state. AAU. Bigger national following than UConn. Contiguous, better football by a lot. PAC GOR runs out in 2024. The only P5 that would consider UConn is the ACC.

Can't imagine people mentioning UMass. There is too much behind the times thinking here. Media markets and how wealthy your state is don't matter. UMass doesn't move the needle in its home state. Think in terms of every game streaming live at the same time. What do people watch? Fanbase + national appeal = total viewers. National appeal is going to fluctuate and go up with quality of the team, but you can look at it over time. Clemson for example, has way more now than 10 years ago. Texas is actually down from what it was. So is USC. They don't lose everything, but they fall off.

Reaction Score
Colorado is the better partner to go with KU. Rapidly growing state. AAU. Bigger national following than UConn. Contiguous, better football by a lot. PAC GOR runs out in 2024. The only P5 that would consider UConn is the ACC.
stop praying for the big10 to poach the PAC just to save the jayhwaks from having to join the american. the two conferences have been aligned for over a hundred years and KU football is not going to suddenly change that.

Reaction Score
Cable boxes. It is all about cable boxes and tradition.

Edit: I am being sarcastic. I bet you think that wins and losses matter in this too.
Of course it matters. That doesnt mean it's the deciding factor. It is one of many things to consider.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
stop praying for the big10 to poach the PAC just to save the jayhwaks from having to join the american

They'd never join the American. The B1G 12 still has a contract and will just expand. If they only lose two, that's easy: Houston and either BYU or UCF. There is a chance that if KU also leaves, and WVU, then they'd need two more teams in the B12. But they'd keep the brand and kill the American. No matter what, a league with OK State, K State, Iowa State, TCU, TT, Baylor is vastly better than the AAC is now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Of course it matters. That doesnt mean it's the deciding factor. It is one of many things to consider.

Texas has dominated in football the last 10 years.

Reaction Score
They'd never join the American. The B1G 12 still has a contract and will just expand. If they only lose two, that's easy: Houston and either BYU or UCF. There is a chance that if KU also leaves, and WVU, then they'd need two more teams in the B12. But they'd keep the brand and kill the American. No matter what, a league with OK State, K State, Iowa State, TCU, TT, Baylor is vastly better than the AAC is now.
i agree i said the same in my posts above. was just joking b/c i know you are desperate for them to get into the big10 at any cost and the aac is worst case scenario.

Reaction Score
My guess is the remaining 8 B12 schools shop the best alliance they can get $ wise because the blow to their established finances is to great. Probably their best fit is to affiliate with the AAC schools culturally and locality wise if they can convince tv partners to up everyone's game. They're not going to command what they had with Texas and Oklahoma, but as good as AAC football has been lately my guess is it's a more formidable football league than going west. Pac12 tv deals are not ideal either and with the added additions of teams who are not particularly big tv ratings players it won't help them that much. I read today where non Texas and Oklahoma games are not much different rating wise than AAC games. Cbs reported they would only get about 1/4 of what they get now in the current B12 contract. Big, big hit for schools who are used to having that money, and by the way may not get any buyout from the 2 leaving if they stay till 25.

Reaction Score
Here's a silly question. If the Big 12 effectively kills the AAC does UConn still have to pay the exit fees?
Ha… I think we (UConn, USF & Cincy) still got the Big East exit fees after that was killed tho’

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
i agree i said the same in my posts above. was just joking b/c i know you are desperate for them to get into the big10 at any cost and the aac is worst case scenario.

Oh sure. I want a stable situation. AAC makes no sense for them. Old B12 with new members beats that. The B12 can kill the AAC if that's what it comes to. I've said since this started that it can be small, B12 backfills 2, or it can be bigger.
  • If the B10 goes to 16, I think KU is the most logical fit. I don't think Iowa State is getting in with Iowa there, and UVA and NC have a tough ACC GOR plus regional ties. Colorado can get out and would get out.
  • The Pac then has some decisions. It could expand eastward, grab Texas Tech, K State, OK State, maybe Baylor (good athletics, but eastern TX and has issues). If they lost CU they'd need a 5th. But those 4(5) plus Utah and the AZ schools make a decent southwestern pod. It's feasible, and the PAC needs more games not on Pacific time.
  • If the ACC does nothing, and the Pac raids the B12, then WVU, Iowa State, TCU keep the name and fill with the best AAC schools and perhaps BYU, Boise, Colorado State. It would still be better than the current American, and they'd dump Tulane, ECU, WSU and probably Temple.

Reaction Score
If I were the Big 10, I would add Kansas, UConn, UMass (NO) and maybe OSU or WVU, offering $10MM a year at first, and putting them all on an earn-in program where they have to show that they are additive on a revenue basis before they get full shares, if they ever get full shares. On some level, put them on an earn-in, performance based revenue split and tell them it will be revisited in 10 years. 10 years is an eternity, but the Big 10 needs to broaden its footprint now.

If I woke up tomor and found out the B1G added KU, UConn, OKST, and WVU...I wouldn't be mad. I would in the sense that college sports are all going to hell, but I wouldn't be surprised or super disappointed.

KU & UConn add 2 x basketball elites + 1 AAU + big east coast market.

OKST & WVU add athletics first, always stout FBall and BBall + OKST blueblood wrestling (bc the B1G loves wrestling) + WVU couch burners.

Doubt it bc of the academics, but if AAU gets thrown out then these four would be a digestable swath of additions with each adding some value. It would be a solid C+/B- group to add. If we're going there, then these four would be the four to go there with.

Srs question - does UConn have D1 lacrosse or hockey??

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If I woke up tomor and found out the B1G added KU, UConn, OKST, and WVU...I wouldn't be mad. I would in the sense that college sports are all going to hell, but I wouldn't be surprised or super disappointed.

OKST & WVU add athletics first, always stout FBall and BBall + OKST blueblood wrestling (bc the B1G loves wrestling) + WVU couch burners.

Doubt it bc of the academics, but if AAU gets thrown out then these four would be a great swath of additions with each adding some value. It would be a solid C+/B- group to add. If we're going there, then these four would be the four to go there with.

Yes, UConn has D1 hockey. Hockey East. But it won't get us into the B1G with bad football and no AAU.

Reaction Score
Someone here said no program would wait four years to leave a conference. Its looking like he was dead wrong. lol

This is OU and UT doing the dance one has to do to avoid accusations of acting in bad faith or in violation of existing contractual agreements, so they can set up for a much more smooth negotiation later.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Doubt it bc of the academics, but if AAU gets thrown out then these four would be a digestable swath of additions with each adding some value. It would be a solid C+/B- group to add. If we're going there, then these four would be the four to go there with.

My prediction is that the Big 10 will do nothing, because that is what conferences always do when faced with a threat.

Reaction Score
Oh sure. I want a stable situation. AAC makes no sense for them. Old B12 with new members beats that. The B12 can kill the AAC if that's what it comes to. I've said since this started that it can be small, B12 backfills 2, or it can be bigger.
not to mention if the big12 refugees joined another conference including the aac theyd be forfeiting $20 million each in exit fees from UT and OU.

imo the easiest/most realistic path forward is to backfill with BYU, UCF, Cincy, and Houston. they'd remain a p5 (barely) by virtue of destroying the aac, would keep their name/branding, rivalries, and the exit fees.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Big 10 isn't focused on the wrong things. College sports is almost immaterial to the bottom line of any of those schools. The research money dwarfs it as does tuition. I know people talk about college sports like it's "big business" and it is compared to when it was really an amateur sport, but it's small potatoes really.

In the last real season, 2019, the Big 10 lead in revenue (it did in 2020 as well). B10 conference led the P5 in revenue in 2019 according to USA Today But that was just $781m. That's it. That's not a lot. Disney is #49 on the Fortune 500. ESPN is a piece of Disney, and they fund half of college football as a part of their expenditures.

College football will destroy itself, and the Big 10, like the Ivy League, will still mean something. They won't be losing any schools to the SEC. Bet bets to add, if they can make it work, is Kansas and Colorado.
I agree- people act like Big 10 Universities will just lock their doors and close their campuses. Last time I checked- a degree from Wisconsin, Northwestern or Purdue was worth more than a degree from Mississippi State. 99.9 percent of students go to Universities to get an education. It's great when your Hoops team or Football team wins a championship- but you can't put that on your resume unless your name is Kemba Walker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom