Texas & OK ask to join SEC? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Texas & OK ask to join SEC?

Reaction Score
One misconception about media revenues. College basketball actually produces more media revenues than college football, BUT, football revenues go to the conferences directly and the NCAA tournament money goes towards paying for NCAA costs such as non revenue sports championships, NCAA overhead,…

If there was no NCAA, college basketball would be a much more important revenue source for schools if a tournament still existed. My point is don’t dismiss the importance of college basketball.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Pure academia - let's put together a committee to explore why Texas and Oklahoma want out and what are the reasons. Head bang

Reaction Score
Fairfield county product here, who spent 10 years in Hartford and Tolland counties, and I beg to differ that people here think we're in NYC. We consider ourselves part of Connecticut. Sorry our courthouses are a little bigger than Rockville.

Reaction Score
Fairfield county product here, who spent 10 years in Hartford and Tolland counties, and I beg to differ that people here think we're in NYC. We consider ourselves part of Connecticut. Sorry our courthouses are a little bigger than Rockville.
So, I don’t know why this is relevant to the current conversation but I too am a Fairfield County product and I never felt connected with CT. My TV channels growing up were all NYC and NJ. Never got a CT channel and felt more connected with NY than Hartford or New Haven or whatever. Wasn’t until I attended UCONN that realized CT had TV or an identity. Perhaps it’s a generational or geographical thing?

Reaction Score
So, I don’t know why this is relevant to the current conversation but I too am a Fairfield County product and I never felt connected with CT. My TV channels growing up were all NYC and NJ. Never got a CT channel and felt more connected with NY than Hartford or New Haven or whatever. Wasn’t until I attended UCONN that realized CT had TV or an identity. Perhaps it’s a generational or geographical thing?
Same. After exit 11 that might as well be where dragons live.

Reaction Score
Fairfield County is, at best, an appendage of Connecticut. It is....... culturally, economically and demographically.... a suburb of New York City. New York is not a college town. It is a pro sports town. Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Devils, Islanders Giants, Jets, Yankees, Mets, et al, rule. Columbia, NYU, St. John's, Manhattan, LIU................poor stepsisters.

Yes, Manhattan elites will spend big bucks to attend the Big East basketball tourney at The Garden. Because they identify with UConn or Syracuse? Perhaps. Maybe because it is an opportunity to be seen, to put a notch in one's holster.

Connecticut has eight counties............six and one half that identify with Connecticut..............one (Fairfield) and one half (Litchfield) that are pure New Yawk.

I don’t know about Fairfield. Disagree completely on Litchfield County.

Reaction Score
I don't have a TV so maybe that makes a difference. We get CT channels around the Bridgeport area.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Pure academia - let's put together a committee to explore why Texas and Oklahoma want out and what are the reasons. Head bang

Texas and Oklahoma are leaving, just a question of where. Are you saying they shouldn't meet to discuss it? What should they do? Try telepathy? Binge watch Breaking Bad? I am sure they are open to ideas right now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Remember when UConn and the rest of the Big East threw Kansas State, Kansas, Iowa State, and Baylor lifelines when it looked like OU, UT, Texas Tech and OSU were all leaving? I do.

Remember five years later when those same 4 schools made UConn dance to try to get into the Big 12, and then told UConn that they would rather add no teams than add UConn? I do.

I am really, really enjoying this.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If we are going to use the Big 12 as a mall analogy, it is more like this:

Texas = Jake
Oklahoma = Elwood

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big 12 is better off letting Texas and Oklahoma out of the Grant of Rights for a big buyout and moving on. A lot can go wrong in 4 years if the Big 12 tries to be punitive. Most obviously, the Big 12 can't be the aggressor with the AAC or MWC if it is locked up with UT and OU through 2025. The Big 12 needs to reconstitute quickly and try to stand up a new league, because the uncertainty will kill its programs, especially in coaching and recruiting.

Reaction Score
Remember when UConn and the rest of the Big East threw Kansas State, Kansas, Iowa State, and Baylor lifelines when it looked like OU, UT, Texas Tech and OSU were all leaving? I do.

Remember five years later when those same 4 schools made UConn dance to try to get into the Big 12, and then told UConn that they would rather add no teams than add UConn? I do.

I am really, really enjoying this.
The more I think about this, the less likely I see other conferences adding teams. Is there anyone they really want? People keep assuming Kansas is getting picked up - why? Basketball doesn't matter. It's an average school. No one lives in Kansas. They don't make any money. People assume Iowa State gets picked up. Well, again, why? Because they had a few good years of football? No one wanted WVU besides the Big XII.

I'll be happiest to see them all get stuck with each other and have to add the mormons and cincinatti or florida directional A and florida directional B.

Reaction Score
That's good to know.

I've wondered since moving to Connecticut in 2017 why UConn athletics isn't more active/present in Fairfield County. Glad past leadership saw an opportunity there, and like you, hope the current leaders get back to it. (Do wish that venue was in/a bit closer to Stamford/Darien, but...)
Guys,

Its at most 90 minutes to Hartford if there is road construction. Its Bad enough they play half the home schedule there. Maybe we should build a domed stadium in Wallingford and one in Newtown. That way they can play near everyone…of course the fans in Canaan will complain then.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is better off letting Texas and Oklahoma out of the Grant of Rights for a big buyout and moving on. A lot can go wrong in 4 years if the Big 12 tries to be punitive. Most obviously, the Big 12 can't be the aggressor with the AAC or MWC if it is locked up with UT and OU through 2025. The Big 12 needs to reconstitute quickly and try to stand up a new league, because the uncertainty will kill its programs, especially in coaching and recruiting.
What would happen with the existing tv contract if that happened? The rest of the Big 12 needs to collect those checks as long as possible before they get halved.

Reaction Score
I have been checking around and found that.

West Virginia is already in the Acc, from the sounds of it.

Kansas and Iowa st are locks for the Big 10

Houston and Unlv are packed for the pac.

Cinncy ucf memphis and usf are already playing in the new big 12

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What would happen with the existing tv contract if that happened? The rest of the Big 12 needs to collect those checks as long as possible before they get halved.

UConn dragged out its own realignment process to cash in on a few extra bucks in other schools’ exit fees. How did that work out?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom