Tevin Mack (Committed to Texas) | Page 64 | The Boneyard

Tevin Mack (Committed to Texas)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If Texas is really recruiting this kid, then well, that's pretty low.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Why? He made a commitment to Smart and vice versa; why shouldn't Smart be able to take him with him?

Reaction Score
Why? He made a commitment to Smart and vice versa; why shouldn't Smart be able to take him with him?

The argument is that he recruited Mack to VCU on VCU's dime, and then bailed for Texas. Taking Mack with him seems kind of skeezy, but from VCU's perspective, it really shouldn't matter, since they aren't getting him either way.

Reaction Score

It's low in the sense that VCU foot the bill for Shaka's trips to visit Mack, Mack's trips to VCU, etc. and now Texas likely ends up with the player.

But I'm sure this is pretty low on the totem poll of "ugly" things that happen in the world of recruiting.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The argument is that he recruited Mack to VCU on VCU's dime, and then bailed for Texas. Taking Mack with him seems kind of skeezy, but from VCU's perspective, it really shouldn't matter, since they aren't getting him either way.

I guess if I'm VCU, I'm more ticked off that our coach just split town and left the team in shambles, and less concerned about where a guy who never even played for the school ends up.

I don't really get how anyone could find fault with UT for taking Mack if that's where he wants to be.

Reaction Score
CallMeBruce said:

The practice also allows coaches to use players as leverage in job interviews. Hire me and I'll have x,y and z coming with me. If the ad wants to win right away, that could be a big factor, which is sort of shady (but I suppose not that much different than the real world).

Reaction Score
The practice also allows coaches to use players as leverage in job interviews. Hire me and I'll have x,y and z coming with me. If the ad wants to win right away, that could be a big factor, which is sort of shady (but I suppose not that much different than the real world).

So right, especially in the real world. But be careful as to what you promise.

Reaction Score
No, it's not. If Smart knew that he was jumping ship and still recruited him on VCU's dime, then you might have an argument but that's not what happened.

Reaction Score

Yeah, I agree that this would be a dirty move, but I think we all know that UT wanted Smart because they wanted Smart, not because he brought Mack or Kenny Williams with him. I don't personally have a problem with it if Mack goes to UT, and I don't think it matters at all for VCU, since he's definitely not staying there. I just wanted to articulate what the argument was that it wasn't cool.

Reaction Score
Most ADs are putting recruiting clauses in contracts now. The biggest one that comes to mind is Will Muschamp's(Ex Florida football head coach) in that clause it said if he went to another school he couldn't recruit a florida recruit/commit if his new school hasn't contacted that recruit before he got there. This is a way to help ensure something like the Shaka-Mack thing doesn't happen

Reaction Score
Since it doesn't seem that UConn is pursuing Mack, it makes me wonder if KO either has some players either close to committing or have told him they are coming but haven't announced yet. I've been always a bird-in-the-hand type of person when it comes to recruiting, though depending the circumstances. I would have been all over Mack once he decommitted from VCU, with the hope that he would still be highly interested.

Now it could be the case that he really doesn't want to play up north, or just isn't that interested in UConn any more.

Or it could be that KO would rather fill other positions of need and sees him more as a 3 than a 2, which is a greater need. As much as they need another jump-shooter, they really need more ball handlers. Although you can play a 3-G set, you really can't play a 1-G with 2 wings and 2 bigs unless one of those wings can really handle the ball and defend smaller-quicker guards.

Maybe I'm over thinking this and overly optimistic, but I wonder if KO has a guard-in-the-hand or a few on the hook that he feels he has a great shot at landing. If my memory serves me, which to often it fails me, we have two more ships to fill. Is that right. If so, the top priority would be to add a 2G-Combo who can shoot the 3 well and has a PG handle or something close to it. The 2nd would be to add either a game-ready 5 or 4/5 combo or one that has a very high ceiling to take over for when Brimah moves on.

------- It's been a while since I've gone a muck with a long post, so if interested read on. If not, here's a good place to stop. -------

I like the current additions of Adams, Enoch and Miller. Adams and Miller will likely be starters sooner rather than later. IMO, those two, plus Brimah, Hamilton and Purvis should be able to play at a solid to very good high major level. Enoch will likely need some time to develop. Freshman bigs, even the very good ready-to-play ones, struggle to stay on the floor, especially with the new rules where if you breath on the opponent it's a foul. The rest of the bench IMO, are would struggle to see the floor for most top 25 high major programs.

Facey has shown some nice moments and could be quite a player by his senior season if he gets enough PT along the way to develop, but he's a few minutes off the bench type combo forward on most good teams. Nolan regressed last season. He has no offensive game and gets more shots blocked that ones that hit the rim. Maybe he'll have a bounce back year, but he's an off-the-bench level at best. I love TSam, who can be effective off the bench for 3 to 5 minutes here and there, but his play seems to diminish the longer he stays out there. He too could be a solid off-the-bench player by his senior season. He's a hard worker, but he's not a top 25 type starter. I don't know what SCJr will bring to the table if healthy. He really lacks high major athleticism and quickness. Maybe if healthy that won't be as big an issue. But he needs to shoot the ball a lot better and show some above average PG instincts if hes' going to see the floor. Again, he didn't look like a top 25 program type starter. Oh, and I almost forgot about Omar. I think OC can be a solid off-the-bench contributor, but needs to be more consistent. He shows flashes at times and can be a huge part of next season if he can shoot the 3 more consistently, put the ball on the floor and knock down mid-range shots, which he began to show us late last season and play solid D, which is his biggest challenge. He just doesn't seem to have a quick first step or two making it hard for him to keep quicker 2s and 3s from blowing by him. Maybe if he can stay healthy for a while, he can improve in all of those areas.

My point here is it looks like we have 5 legit top 25 program type players. A couple that can contribute at a solid level for short stints off the bench but need to do so more consistently. One player (Enoch) who might play himself into that group by the end of the season or by his sophomore season. That points to this team needed at least one more ready-to-contribute player to be added to this team for it to be a major threat this coming season. It would be nice to have a 3rd very good guard to add to the mix (Adams & Purvis) and a 3rd big to add to Brimah and Miller. I think Omar will be good enough to spell DHam and if we had that 3rd guard they can play a lot of 3G-sets. Then they can use TSam, SCJr, Facey, Nolan and Enoch for spot minutes when needed.

Reaction Score
Most ADs are putting recruiting clauses in contracts now. The biggest one that comes to mind is Will Muschamp's(Ex Florida football head coach) in that clause it said if he went to another school he couldn't recruit a florida recruit/commit if his new school hasn't contacted that recruit before he got there. This is a way to help ensure something like the Shaka-Mack thing doesn't happen

Except that it wouldn't have helped VCU. If Shaka wasn't allowed to recruit Mack, he'd just go to Georgia or Kansas or something. He's not going to VCU regardless of what Texas does.

Reaction Score
Can't Compare SEC football with any other sport. Only there do they pay thousands for players (reportly).

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Seems like Kansas is feeling pretty comfortable with getting him

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If the kid just wanted to play for Shaka, no problem.
If Shaka plotted it, not so cool. I'm surprised more contracts don't forbid it.

Reaction Score
I'm very critical of this staff outside our amazing Coach Ollie, but kudos to them for not wasting a second on this kid the second time around. Would have been a waste of resources. Good job guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom