Terry Larrier | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Terry Larrier

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

These guys are all already to be able to rebound and work it inside. Can Travis teach technique, timing, reading the shot or rebound? If not they can lift all they want, if the technique and other areas don't improve nothing else will either.

Quite frankly, I don't disagree. Those are the things Coach Miller needs to be able to effectively communicate. I did notice last season when Brimah actually had position - it was ineffectual since he got moved out of the way so easily - so that core/lower body strength is needed too.

To the "this is not complicated" posters - I agree with that too - that's why to me it's so frustrating.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
These guys are all already to be able to rebound and work it inside. Can Travis teach technique, timing, reading the shot or rebound? If not they can lift all they want, if the technique and other areas don't improve nothing else will either.

Exactly. We won a championship in 2014 against some very intimidating front lines, when UCONN's was decidedly not.

And fact is, we don't have any 40 year old Wayne Seldon's underneath either. They came in skinny dudes.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I don't disagree. Those are the things Coach Miller needs to be able to effectively communicate. I did notice last season when Brimah actually had position - it was ineffectual since he got moved out of the way so easily - so that core/lower body strength is needed too.

To the "this is not complicated" posters - I agree with that too - that's why to me it's so frustrating.

I do think you fail to admit that Amida will always be challenged in the "getting moved out" category. His center of gravity is so high, just the longest legs with a small to average torso at best. He's at a disadvantage from the get go. He'll never pack on much muscle in those legs either. They are just natural bean poles.

Reaction Score

Glen Miller can't coach the natural instincts so now it is definitely not on him or the staff. Watching the games you will notice both AB and KF at times are not even ready to box out never mind getting moved. They both have had a bad feel for when to begin and the instincts of knowing when the shot is going up. 4 years later we can only hope they have learned some to be more productive. Funny, with KF he knows he doesn't get the ball so he is always ready to react to the offensive rebound as is so much better doing so. Not strength there, pure athletic ability and knowing what you need to do.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Glen Miller can't coach the natural instincts so now it is definitely not on him or the staff. Watching the games you will notice both AB and KF at times are not even ready to box out never mind getting moved. They both have had a bad feel for when to begin and the instincts of knowing when the shot is going up. 4 years later we can only hope they have learned some to be more productive. Funny, with KF he knows he doesn't get the ball so he is always ready to react to the offensive rebound as is so much better doing so. Not strength there, pure athletic ability and knowing what you need to do.

On the flip side, when the staff decide to recruit players who aren't natural rebounders it falls on the HC to have coaches who will emphasize technique and prioritize film study to help the players improve. The coaching staff's teaching techniques and strengths need to support the growth the players need.

Reaction Score
Larrier, Facey, and Brimah need to have a decent deli next to the weight room. Mickey Mantle's who was 145 pounds, first apartment in NY in the 50's was over the Carnegie Deli, he gained 20 pounds in no time flat.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Larrier, Facey, and Brimah need to have a decent deli next to the weight room. Mickey Mantle's who was 145 pounds, first apartment in NY in the 50's was over the Carnegie Deli, he gained 20 pounds in no time flat.

jibsey. I love your avatar pic.

I have to wonder though, why they would bother with the lettuce and tomato. Its a perfect thing of beauty without them.

Reaction Score

I have to wonder though, why they would bother with the lettuce and tomato. Its a perfect thing of beauty without them.
The first thing to do is to throw the lettuce and tomato away. BTW, Harold's in New Jersey builds sandwiches like this and bigger.

Reaction Score
Am I suppose to be impressed and disregard the NBA consensus that after 2 years under Travis, DHam had to get much stronger?

The picture of Larrier is maybe a starting point - what many 20 year old students look like who casually workout - our UConn MBB standard needs to be much higher.

Quite frankly, I will gladly be impressed when someone shows me a picture and I see functional strength performance in a basketball game - I will be the first to congratulation Travis and the player.

Again I wish Travis the best - but these gymnastic pictures are totally unrelated to Travis or the team he worked with at Bama - check his work history - I may soon reveal why they are so ridiculous - but I want someone else to do some basic research.
Uh, I hate to break it to you, but the S&C coach can't actually do the workouts for you. If Hamilton didn't want to put in the time in the gym - which seems pretty obvious - there is only so much the coach can do for you.

Reaction Score
Ok - I admit I loved Calhoun and what he did and the attitude he did it with. Man, the dude is a Hall of Fame coach - why are you hating on me for admiring that?

Suffice to say, Calhoun is not a HOF coach because he had a great S&C coach. If there was any relationship between the two at all, it would run the other way - UConn hired a great S&C coach because the head coach was HOF caliber.

These are not complex issues to understand.

Reaction Score
On the flip side, when the staff decide to recruit players who aren't natural rebounders it falls on the HC to have coaches who will emphasize technique and prioritize film study to help the players improve. The coaching staff's teaching techniques and strengths need to support the growth the players need.

3 years later, lots of game time and they have the same habits and they've been taught everything possible. On the players not the coaches I'm afraid.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Do we know they aren't doing this? And most of these guys fall into the "recruiting restrictions" category of players.

Reaction Score

Post/avatar?

Reaction Score

W/out them it would be unhealthy:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
My gut feeling is TL is going to have a big impact for us. Just hope he steps up.

He is a pretty important piece in where this team goes this year 34, I hope you're right. I agree with your thoughts. Had a decent freshman year at VCU on a good team but needs to improve inures. This just may be the perfect scenario for a talent like him, sitting out the year to mature both physically and mentally.

Reaction Score
He is a pretty important piece in where this team goes this year 34, I hope you're right. I agree with your thoughts. Had a decent freshman year at VCU on a good team but needs to improve inures. This just may be the perfect scenario for a talent like him, sitting out the year to mature both physically and mentally.

"improve inures"?? This thing changed "in areas" to that? Hate it sometimes

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We need Larrier to come through. I'm glad he's been putting in the work and getting stronger. The rest is just noise. I'm not sure why, but I'm expecting Facey to break out a bit this year. It's just a feeling that he'll be much improved. We've seen it before from others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom