Terry Larrier | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Terry Larrier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We need Larrier to come through. I'm glad he's been putting in the work and getting stronger. The rest is just noise. I'm not sure why, but I'm expecting Facey to break out a bit this year. It's just a feeling that he'll be much improved. We've seen it before from others.

what would constitute a break-out from facey?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
what would constitute a break-out from facey?

Think the jump that Hilton Armstrong made senior year. I simply think there is a chance that he improves his defense and scoring, to go along with his already strong rebounding. I think Adams distributing and our overall backcourt scoring strength will create openings for the bigs around the basket, and that Facey can finish. He can get out on the break as well, or rebound and provide outlet passes. It's just a feeling.

Reaction Score
Not speaking for the other poster, but 8 and 8 a game would be amazing. Is that sufficient for a "breakout" season? Maybe only relatively speaking, but that's a stat line that could really help this team realize its potential.

Agreed. 8 and 8 and maybe 1.5 blocks would be awesome.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
If a guy hasn't gotten it together by his Junior year, it's an almost certainty he won't as a senior. Guys like Hilton are the massive exception, not the rule.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If a guy hasn't gotten it together by his Junior year, it's an almost certainty he won't as a senior. Guys like Hilton are the massive exception, not the rule.

I disagree. I think there is a ceiling by talent, but that experience can play a huge role. I can think of many UConn players that were much better as seniors than juniors, and that even includes Calhoun last year. Giffey was much, much better senior year than as a junior. I think this is most common with the guys who aren't star players and aren't NBA caliber guys.

Reaction Score
Kentan Facey

As a sophomore he averaged 21.5 minutes, 4+ points and 5+ rebounds. Even though he played less than 13 mpg last year, his production over 40 minutes increased for points, rebounds, and blocks. His per 40 numbers last year were 9.8 pts, 11.4 rebs, and 2.7 blks.

Without Miller and Nolan, he should get at least 25 mpg. I think 8 and 8 is reasonable if he can stay out of foul trouble (which he did as a sophomore, average only 4 fouls/40 minutes). My hope is that his foul problems last year were because he knew he had fouls to give because he wasn't going to be playing a lot of minutes.

But....this thread was about Larrier. He is a bigger piece of the puzzle. I'm more excited to see his impact on the court this year than Facey's.

Reaction Score
Kentan Facey

As a sophomore he averaged 21.5 minutes, 4+ points and 5+ rebounds. Even though he played less than 13 mpg last year, his production over 40 minutes increased for points, rebounds, and blocks. His per 40 numbers last year were 9.8 pts, 11.4 rebs, and 2.7 blks.

Without Miller and Nolan, he should get at least 25 mpg. I think 8 and 8 is reasonable if he can stay out of foul trouble (which he did as a sophomore, average only 4 fouls/40 minutes). My hope is that his foul problems last year were because he knew he had fouls to give because he wasn't going to be playing a lot of minutes.

But....this thread was about Larrier. He is a bigger piece of the puzzle. I'm more excited to see his impact on the court this year than Facey's.

based on the above - it seems the 8 and 8 may even be a conservative estimate.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Not speaking for the other poster, but 8 and 8 a game would be amazing. Is that sufficient for a "breakout" season? Maybe only relatively speaking, but that's a stat line that could really help this team realize its potential.
Quite frankly I'd be ecstatic with 5 and 6

Reaction Score
Absolute numbers in a vacuum aren't necessarily meaningful.

If Facey is averaging 7 and 6, but he's playing 30 mpg and starting because we haven't found a better option at the 4, that's not good.

I think our best case, realistic scenario is to have Facey as a reliable bench player, and hope that some combination of Larrier/Jackson/Durham can hold down the 4 position (yes, I think in the best scenario we play 4 out, 1 in, and spread the floor).

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This just may be the perfect scenario for a talent like him, sitting out the year to mature both physically and mentally.
The year off working with the team .Another year of growth is what I'm banking on.

It's probably going to take a while to knock off the rust, a la Purvis in his first year back.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I disagree. I think there is a ceiling by talent, but that experience can play a huge role. I can think of many UConn players that were much better as seniors than juniors, and that even includes Calhoun last year. Giffey was much, much better senior year than as a junior. I think this is most common with the guys who aren't star players and aren't NBA caliber guys.

Gavin Edwards too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS