Terrence Samuel Transferring | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Terrence Samuel Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'd put jump shooting near the top of the list of things that can be fixed at TSams age. Dribbling near the bottom.

Oh, no - it's just about at the bottom.

Terrence is 21 years old.

He's played organized basketball for well over a decade - he's been in front of a coach nearly every day since then...and he still cannot shoot.

There's so much coordination involved in a jump shot during game conditions that's it's truly a skill.

Someone used Kevin Ollie as an example of a guy who worked hard and became a decent shooter...well, not really.

What Kevin did was realize that he was never going to be a jump shooter, (and who works harder than KO), and he adjusted. There was a lot of layups during his senior year at UConn and in the NBA. (Tidbit - in his 37-year NBA career, Ollie was just 9-29 from three. That is some serious self-discipline. 2090 shots...just 29 three-point attempts. He hit a three-point bucket in late 2005 for the 76'ers and never hit another. )

Reaction Score
There are a lot of mediocre shooters in college who turn into good shooters in the pros with a few tweaks and good coaching and this is what confuses people. If you have a completely broken jumper, you are what you are.

caw

Reaction Score
Oh, no - it's just about at the bottom.

Terrence is 21 years old.

He's played organized basketball for well over a decade - he's been in front of a coach nearly every day since then...and he still cannot shoot.

There's so much coordination involved in a jump shot during game conditions that's it's truly a skill.

Someone used Kevin Ollie as an example of a guy who worked hard and became a decent shooter...well, not really.

What Kevin did was realize that he was never going to be a jump shooter, (and who works harder than KO), and he adjusted. There was a lot of layups during his senior year at UConn and in the NBA. (Tidbit - in his 37-year NBA career, Ollie was just 9-29 from three. That is some serious self-discipline. 2090 shots...just 29 three-point attempts. He hit a three-point bucket in late 2005 for the 76'ers and never hit another. )

Just so we are clear:

1) You didn't answer my question on what would be easier to fix. I personally love when numbskulls shoot something down without putting in any sort of option/opinion/alternative. Good way to not accomplish anything and look like an a**.

2) You took my general question and answered with unproven, speculative anecdotal evidence about one specific individual in TSam. So worthless.

3) I didn't use KO, so I don't really care about that anecdote either, but there are a ton of examples that do show shooting can improve.

You rarely see someone become a better dribbler at TSams age, or a better passer. Shooting, plenty of anecdotal evidence showing one can improve considerably. So my question remains, what would you say is an easier skill to improve than shooting? Not easy, easier.

Reaction Score
Just so we are clear:

1) You didn't answer my question on what would be easier to fix. I personally love when numbskulls shoot something down without putting in any sort of option/opinion/alternative. Good way to not accomplish anything and look like an a**.

2) You took my general question and answered with unproven, speculative anecdotal evidence about one specific individual in TSam. So worthless.

3) I didn't use KO, so I don't really care about that anecdote either, but there are a ton of examples that do show shooting can improve.

You rarely see someone become a better dribbler at TSams age, or a better passer. Shooting, plenty of anecdotal evidence showing one can improve considerably. So my question remains, what would you say is an easier skill to improve than shooting? Not easy, easier.

For a guy who is decent at shooting, dribbling and passing, I think shooting is the easiest to fix. A guy like T Sam will have an extremely hard time becoming a good shooter but I can imagine him being a decent dribbler and passer. That said, all these skills are innate and it really depends on the player with regards to what is easiest to fix.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Just so we are clear:

Just so we are even more clear....

Name a given skill in basketball....it'll be easier to improve than shooting.

Since you hate examples, we'll try to be more clear by being more vague.

You can make a player into a better defender, you can make him a more proficient passer, you can make him a better ball-handler or rebounder. You can teach him spacing that makes it easier for him to deliver the ball to teammates. You can teach him how to recognize what a defense will do and what he can do in response to avoid picking up his dribble, getting trapped whatever.

But if he's a lousy jump shooter, you're never going to be able to give him the physical coordination to become a proficient jump shooter. You can pull his shot apart, rebuild it, whatever - he still needs the coordination and ability to reliably send a ball through space and into a bucket under any number of variable distances and angles.

You are one sensitive flower, son.

Reaction Score

You can make a player into a better defender, you can make him a more proficient passer, you can make him a better ball-handler or rebounder. You can teach him spacing that makes it easier for him to deliver the ball to teammates. You can teach him how to recognize what a defense will do and what he can do in response to avoid picking up his dribble, getting trapped whatever.

But if he's a lousy jump shooter, you're never going to be able to give him the physical coordination to become a proficient jump shooter. You can pull his shot apart, rebuild it, whatever - he still needs the coordination and ability to reliably send a ball through space and into a bucket under any number of variable distances and angles.

I'm not so sure any of this can be applied universally.

Shooting requires a considerable deal of physical coordination, yes, and for some, regardless of how much they practice, there is a glass ceiling on their potential.

But we're not discussing whether you can make somebody a great or even good shooter, we're talking about whether you can make somebody an improved shooter. To the extent that you can make somebody a better ball-handler or passer is probably a negligible difference in comparison - some guys are simply never going to be good ball-handlers or passers, just as some are never going to be good shooters. There is a certain instinctual gift to being able to weave through traffic and process the shifting chess pieces on the floor that can't really be taught.

caw

Reaction Score

I was going to applaud you for proving you are capable of cogent thought without being an a@@ but well...

At least you have one or two neurons firing up there.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
There are a lot of mediocre shooters in college who turn into good shooters in the pros with a few tweaks and good coaching and this is what confuses people. If you have a completely broken jumper, you are what you are.

I'd add that it's more than a just few tweaks. A few tweaks is just the start. Then it takes 1000s and 1000s of repitions to take hold.

It likely happens at the professional level because guys have the time and support to get these reps.

All the time and effort shows that this is a very hard skill to improve. In fact how many skills are harder.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I was going to applaud you for proving you are capable of cogent thought without being an a@@ but well...

At least you have one or two neurons firing up there.

How about tackling the problem at hand. Any response to the post?

Im having a hard time thinking of skills that would be harder to improve than shooting.

Rondo is an anecdotal example. That guy worked on his shooting like a mad man, but still has a barely functional NBA pg jump shot.

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with penn state just never would have guessed that could have been a potential destination. At least the rural environment won't be culture shock to him

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with penn state just never would have guessed that could have been a potential destination. At least the rural environment won't be culture shock to him
Well Penn State is awful, so he will get much more PT than he'd get here. And, they're P5 so there's always that

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Good spot for TSam. Plenty of PT to work on his shooting.

Reaction Score
Appreciate what he did for us for a short spurt during the NCC run but frankly I was never crazy about him as a player and took a lot of heat here for saying so. He wasn't talented or athletic enough in any area of the game including defense. Loved his toughness and his lack of production was never due to lack of effort. Good luck to TSam at Penn State.

Reaction Score
Also kind of ironic that he might transfer to arguably the BEST basketball conference to get more minutes..
Well I mean PSU pretty much plays A-10 level ball right now, which is why he is going to get more minutes. And he'll still get to play the best teams. I hope he's ready to lose a lot, though.

Reaction Score
PS been to the NCAA tour. twice in the last 15 years winning one game. I would say TS in taking a huge step backwards. He maybe playing against some VG teams but usually getting their A-- kicked!

Reaction Score
coached @ the 16u level for two years, and the easiest way to become a better shooter is to become an above average free throw shooter. which isn't hard if you aren't maligned with strange sized hands or you broke an arm at some point in life. You naturally become a better spot up shooter if you learn the mechanics of hitting 20/20 at the line in practice. Samuel was a terrible ft shooter, and really i've heard first hand he was far from 'a gym rat'. Frankly his jumper wasnt the worst part of his game; it was his 'stiff arming' that he tried to masquerade as ball handling. he looked like delly does in the nba but at the ncaa level. not a good look. The kid just never improved his game after a promising 2014 spring.

Reaction Score
his 'stiff arming' that he tried to masquerade as ball handling. he looked like delly does in the nba
And he walloped that one guy and got a T, so he's like Delly there, too.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
coached @ the 16u level for two years, and the easiest way to become a better shooter is to become an above average free throw shooter. which isn't hard if you aren't maligned with strange sized hands or you broke an arm at some point in life. You naturally become a better spot up shooter if you learn the mechanics of hitting 20/20 at the line in practice. Samuel was a terrible ft shooter, and really i've heard first hand he was far from 'a gym rat'. Frankly his jumper wasnt the worst part of his game; it was his 'stiff arming' that he tried to masquerade as ball handling. he looked like delly does in the nba but at the ncaa level. not a good look. The kid just never improved his game after a promising 2014 spring.

Samuel didn't start out great at the line (as a freshman) but was solid toward the end of his first year and all of last year.

Reaction Score
Samuel didn't start out great at the line (as a freshman) but was solid toward the end of his first year and all of last year.
youre right my judgdement is clouded by all the clutch ft's he missed. seemed much worst than what his numbers were, possibly because his overall ts% was below average ( wow didn't make a single three his two years here)

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
youre right my judgdement is clouded by all the clutch ft's he missed. seemed much worst than what his numbers were, possibly because his overall ts% was below average ( wow didn't make a single three his two years here)

I remember once he shot from 3, his form was perfect and the shot was a swish. There were just two problems a) It happened seconds after a whistle blew the play dead and b) It never happened again.

That was quite a taunting moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99