Terrence Samuel to UConn | The Boneyard

Terrence Samuel to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like this signing a lot, he seems underrated, he's got a great build for a point guard at 6'3 and with a strong build, he's a very good passer, good at going into the lane and very athletic. Best thing is that the staff seemed to make him a priority and I think they are planning on him being a point guard.

Reaction Score
I like what Konchalski, as good an evaluator of talent that you will find, has to say about Samuel (in bold below).

Not sure of the significance, but I read that in addition to being an AAU teammate of fellow Husky 2013 commit Kentan Facey, Samuel is also of Jamaican descent.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/09/02/terrence-samuel-to-uconn/#more-78829

“[Samuel] is a throwback, he’s a point guard, he’s pass-first point guard who looks to make other people better,” New York recruiting expert Tom Konchalski said. “He plays for result rather than for effect.”

He added: “Obviously, UConn is gearing their recruiting to the New York area. They have three in two classes from the New York area. When was the last they’ve done that?”

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Glad we landed the kid - apparently the staff wanted him. Having said that, he chose us over URI. Not exactly a ton of top schools that he was choosing from.

Reaction Score
According to other "major sites", he had offers from Cincy, Iowa St and VCU. Pitt, L-Ville, Nova, Dayton, TN, Temple...

Reaction Score
Who's at URI now? Isn't Baron gone in which maybe they now have an impact recruiter?

The thing I like about what I'm reading is his fundamental skills, control and intelligence on the court. I believe you don't have to look farther than the point person recruiting him to see a similar recruit who came in the early 90's!!!!! Guessing there's a work ethic involved in which to get better and stronger that someone saw also.............welcome aboard terrence!!

Reaction Score
My convo with Zach Braziller of the NY Post. He knows Samuel very well.

sam s@huskiesnyc
@NYPost_Brazille how good is Terrence Samuel? He seems very underrated by @DaveTelep and ESPN. Best PG in NYC?

Zach Braziller@NYPost_Brazille
@huskiesnyc yeah probably best PG in NY. He's a big PG, knows how to run a team, good kid, shot is weakness
@huskiesnyc NYC kids are now underrated nationally, kid can play
sam s@huskiesnyc
@NYPost_Brazille Thanks, I trust Jim Calhoun and Kevin Ollie's judgement just surprised espn has him a 2 star
@huskiesnyc Rivals has him ranked. If he lived in North Carolina he would be top 75.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
He added: “Obviously, UConn is gearing their recruiting to the New York area. They have three in two classes from the New York area. When was the last they’ve done that?”

The only thing I don't like about the quote is that they are acting like we've never recruited the greater NYC area before. Kemba Walker, AJ Price, Taliek Brown, Curtis Kelly, and Ben Gordon ring any bells??

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
The only thing I don't like about the quote is that they are acting like we've never recruited the greater NYC area before. Kemba Walker, AJ Price, Taliek Brown, Curtis Kelly, and Ben Gordon ring any bells??
with cuse gone uconn is only competing with st johns now for nyc? not saying we competed with cuse

Reaction Score

I thought the same thing when I read that quote, we recruit NY almost every year. A lot of people also say there are no good recruits around UConn. I assume they mean Connecticut but still. Being situated between Boston and New York City seems to work out pretty well.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I thought the same thing when I read that quote, we recruit NY almost every year. A lot of people also say there are no good recruits around UConn. I assume they mean Connecticut but still. Being situated between Boston and New York City seems to work out pretty well.

If they meant Connecticut, they would be wrong, by the way. Andre Drummond and Kris Dunn are nothing to shake a stick at. Kuran Iverson looks pretty good to me, too. And it isn't like this state hasn't produced NBA talent, like Marcus Camby and Ryan Gomes, and Chris Smith is one of the people that got the UConn ball rolling. For a state of three and a half million people, we produce some nice bball players...

Reaction Score

And CV=NYC

Reaction Score
Yes, but we have 3 NCs in 15 years and we struggle to land top 100 kids.

I get there are a number of reasons, but somewhat disappointing.

My convo with Zach Braziller of the NY Post. He knows Samuel very well.

sam s@huskiesnyc
@NYPost_Brazille how good is Terrence Samuel? He seems very underrated by @DaveTelep and ESPN. Best PG in NYC?

@huskiesnyc yeah probably best PG in NY. He's a big PG, knows how to run a team, good kid, shot is weakness
@huskiesnyc NYC kids are now underrated nationally, kid can play
sam s@huskiesnyc
@NYPost_Brazille Thanks, I trust Jim Calhoun and Kevin Ollie's judgement just surprised espn has him a 2 star
@huskiesnyc Rivals has him ranked. If he lived in North Carolina he would be top 75.

Reaction Score

We've landed 4 top 100 kids in the past 2 seasons with limited scholarships -Daniels, Boatright, Drummond, and Omar. Not exactly struggling.

Reaction Score

Yeah it's great to land Top 100's like AO, Jamal Coombs-McDaniel, RS and AD isn't it?

Give me the kids with a chip on their shoulder any day rather than those believe they have the world by the balls. I agree we need some Top 100's but we have a few right now. Boatright, Daniels, Omar are fine. They will get into battles with others I'm sure, relax. These 2 kids are good gets to start off the season!

Reaction Score
Guy's our MO is to win with a few stars and some solid solid jr's and sr's who can step in and contribute and lead. Maybe these 2 will fill that role maybe more. You know their tough coming out of the City. I'm sure they can't be to thin skinned. I think we had enough of them recently. If we can add XM/Hamilton and DW we have a solid to great class.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Guy's our MO is to win with a few stars and some solid solid jr's and sr's who can step in and contribute and lead. Maybe these 2 will fill that role maybe more. You know their tough coming out of the City. I'm sure they can't be to thin skinned. I think we had enough of them recently. If we can add XM/Hamilton and DW we have a solid to great class.
We turn no body's into nba lottery picks

Reaction Score
Don't forget Charlie V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01