Terrapins WBB 2021-22 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Terrapins WBB 2021-22

Reaction Score
That game had some really unusual matchups. How often do you see a point guard matchup with someone as tall as 6-4 in Amihere or as wide a body as Owusu. Then Reese and Boston sometimes guarding each other was interesting too with Boston a big strong big, and Reese very mobile with a number of very unusual moves to say the least.

Reaction Score
Is this the Maryland thread or the South Carolina thread? Just checking.
Didn’t you go out of your way to bring up a South Carolina player yesterday in response to my post about Reese? Just checking.

Reaction Score
Was able to catch highlights of the game, Reese's ceiling is high, and once she puts it all together she'll be a force. Some of the shots Owusu took seemed atypical, but these types of games will definitely aid this team moving forward. Once Miller is back and acclimated, I believe this team could do some damage in March, and they can get over their recent blips in the Tournament (though I had them penciled in the 2020 FF before it got cancelled:()

Reaction Score
Reese got 10 rebounds but consistently was beat out for boards by Saxton and Boston who combined for 13 offensive rebounds. Reese should've grabbed more boards IMO considering she was in the paint defensively all game rather than chasing players on the perimeter.

Defensively she had the great steal on Cooke, but that's one play in the entire game. I thought she was inconsistent defending in the paint. She has all of the tools to become a top tier defender.

Decision making is in reference to her continually attacking double teams in the paint and getting her shot blocked due to her low release point. In the second half she shot 3-10 on layups and had 5 of them blocked. Attacking the basket wasn't working and she should've chosen her moments more effectively. That'll improve with time and Brenda is one of the best coaches at developing talent.

I dont mean for this post to have a negative tone-- I was watching her more closely than others and came away extremely impressed by her ball handling and ability to create. She's a great player already and showed off a tremendous skill set. Definitely a bright spot for Maryland yesterday and she's living up to her HS ranking.
Reese got 10 rebounds but consistently was beat out for boards by Saxton and Boston who combined for 13 offensive rebounds. Reese should've grabbed more boards IMO considering she was in the paint defensively all game rather than chasing players on the perimeter.

Defensively she had the great steal on Cooke, but that's one play in the entire game. I thought she was inconsistent defending in the paint. She has all of the tools to become a top tier defender.

Decision making is in reference to her continually attacking double teams in the paint and getting her shot blocked due to her low release point. In the second half she shot 3-10 on layups and had 5 of them blocked. Attacking the basket wasn't working and she should've chosen her moments more effectively. That'll improve with time and Brenda is one of the best coaches at developing talent.

I dont mean for this post to have a negative tone-- I was watching her more closely than others and came away extremely impressed by her ball handling and ability to create. She's a great player already and showed off a tremendous skill set. Definitely a bright spot for Maryland yesterday and she's living up to her HS ranking.
Reese was involved in a few steals beside Cooke… one was when she interrupted a pass & got the ball started the fast break & blew a layup with a crazy looking shot. She stopped Amerihere on the baseline a few times causing a jump ball & also had like 3 blocks. They were in a zone defense & often seemed like a stretch zone. Reese was not always in the middle of zone. Also there were 2 other post players on her team that should’ve been rebounding. Seems like folks think Reese was the only one on MD responsible for rebounding. Reese did not want to foul out as mentioned several times in the broadcast.
Good competitive game nonetheless

Reaction Score
I believe this team could do some damage in March, and they can get over their recent blips in the Tournament (though I had them penciled in the 2020 FF before it got cancelled:()
I think Owusu was playing better at the end of 2020 (when she won MOP in the Big 10 tournament) than she is at this point in the season. The Terps were on fire at the end of 2020 but they were in 2021 and look what happened. It only takes one bad game and you're out.

Reaction Score
Was able to catch highlights of the game, Reese's ceiling is high, and once she puts it all together she'll be a force. Some of the shots Owusu took seemed atypical, but these types of games will definitely aid this team moving forward. Once Miller is back and acclimated, I believe this team could do some damage in March, and they can get over their recent blips in the Tournament (though I had them penciled in the 2020 FF before it got cancelled:()
Reese averages 18 and 10. I would say she's a force now. Big time.

Maryland is a national title contender is the takeaway that I had confirmed.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I thought Masonis had some nice plays. Did a facial on Aaliyah I think.

Reaction Score
I think Owusu was playing better at the end of 2020 (when she won MOP in the Big 10 tournament) than she is at this point in the season. The Terps were on fire at the end of 2020 but they were in 2021 and look what happened. It only takes one bad game and you're out.
I have no doubt that Owusu will get things figured out, like @undersized said, I also think having Miller back will aid in that. I think Brenda scheduling top teams in different conferences will help as having a variety of opponents can perhaps prepare the team for different styles going into the tourney. Obviously last year was COVID and there wasn't much outside of conference games so it wasn't like teams could schedule much in the OOC.

Reaction Score
So glad to see Diamond back! Hopefully she can stay healthy and be a force in B10 conference play. Owusu seems to be still dealing with her shooting woes but she did manage to get her teammates involved with 7 assists. It will be interesting to see if Diamond can get back to full strength and in the starting lineup how Collins or Bibby will respond off the bench.

@TerpWomenFan I'd be interested in who you think the starting lineup should include. I would go with Owusu/Benzan/Miller/Collins/Reese

Reaction Score
So glad to see Diamond back! Hopefully she can stay healthy and be a force in B10 conference play. Owusu seems to be still dealing with her shooting woes but she did manage to get her teammates involved with 7 assists. It will be interesting to see if Diamond can get back to full strength and in the starting lineup how Collins or Bibby will respond off the bench.

@TerpWomenFan I'd be interested in who you think the starting lineup should include. I would go with Owusu/Benzan/Miller/Collins/Reese
I would probably go with Bibby over Collins.

Reaction Score
Maryland also needs a big center who can rebound. The only way to get one for next year is through the transfer portal. It would take away a lot of pressure from Reese.

Reaction Score
Except for one player (Gony) there isn't any post players in the portal according to wbb blog. And she isn't considered a rebounder but she is known as a rim protector because of her wingspan.

Reaction Score
Coach Frese will not coach against tOSU due to funeral arraignments for her father. Karen Blair will coach the team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom