Terrapins WBB 2021-22 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Terrapins WBB 2021-22

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Reese has star potential but needs to keep her emotions in check. Can’t be yapping like that on the court when you shot 35% from the floor.
Oh well then, please tell us while you're still in lecture mode what's the minimum field goal percentage that makes a player eligible to yap. Can't wait to hear this one.

Reaction Score
Good game Terps fans! The sky is the limit with Angel Reese. She reminds me of Amihere in the sense that she could be unstoppable once the game clicks for her.
Reese is way, way ahead of Amihere currently with less experience.

Reese is an all conference/alll American while Amihere is still mostly potential.

It was a fun game to watch.

Still, South Carolina beat a top 10 team without an actual point guard and the defense and offensive rebounding is a super power that's going to be hard to nullify.

Looking forward to Duke and Stanford.

Reaction Score
Reese is way, way ahead of Amihere currently with less experience.

Reese is an all conference/alll American while Amihere is still mostly potential.

It was a fun game to watch.

Still, South Carolina beat a top 10 team without an actual point guard and the defense and offensive rebounding is a super power that's going to be hard to nullify.

Looking forward to Duke and Stanford.
I thought the rebounding was the difference in the game. SC came in with a 45% offensive rebound rate and they surpassed that against the Terps. It seem like the only time the Terps got a defensive rebound, SC was running back to set up their defense.

Reaction Score
I don’t enjoy the methodical way we play without Henny on the floor. Not only does she shoot 50% from 3 but she’s also the fastest guard in the country with the ball. The entire game dynamic would have changed with her on the floor. I don’t think Maryland would’ve stayed in a zone long had she played and that would’ve created a lot more scoring opportunities since we’re used to seeing more man to man. Overall it was a good competitive game. I can’t wait to see what Maryland looks like with Miller. Definitely a Final Four team fully healthy.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Without Henderson and Johnson South Carolina seems unsure of itself. I would expect things to get back to normal when Henderson returns. I am not sure Amihere is the answer. She seems to be too "herky jerky".

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Just watched yesterday's game. Not the prettiest but was entertaining throughout. Takeaways for both teams:

-Major props to Amihere who did an admirable job at PG even if the statline is rough. I never would've expected her to take over PG duties or look somewhat comfortable operating out on the perimeter. SC definitely missed Henderson/Johnson but I was impressed by how fluid Amihere looked. She's still a major work in progress and will continue to get better, hopefully as a forward rather than a PG.

-The story of the game was rebounding. SC was so aggressive in attacking the glass and their players (specifically Saxton/Boston) are able to read rebounding angles incredible well.

-Angel Reese is definitely a work in progress but has all the tools to be a true star. Great handles and length, fearless attacking the basket and is very hard to defend on a 1 on 1 clear out. Her crossover is scary good for a 6-3 forward. Not the best decision maker yet and SC seemed to figure her out as the game went on, and she wasn't able to adjust. The major area of improvement needed is on defense and rebounding. She just looked lost out there at times and didn't challenge nearly as many shots as I thought she should've. Maybe Brenda told her not to so she didn't get into foul trouble, but i wasn't impressed by her defense. She also did not box out hard like SC players did. Definitely plays with a lot of attitude/talks trash but I enjoyed it in the sense that it fired up both sides and it didn't seem like there was any dirty play, just a lot of emotion. Her and Miller are going to be an insane combination of size, skill and athleticism if both can stay healthy.

-Owusu had one of the worst games I've seen her play. SC is tough defensively but her drives to the basket were just bad and she wasn't able to get anything going from midrange. Also didn't create for others. Just a bad game.

-Boston showed up again and added another outstanding performance for her POY campaign, which at this point she seems to be the clear frontrunner. She played phenomenal interior defense, did a good job scoring and was a monster on the glass. The segment about her working with Tim Duncan and staying patient in the post was great and it has shown up in her play. She looks very unrushed and is playing with great composure.

-Cooke I thought did a really nice job too. The game has slowed down a lot for her and she looks like a calm veteran now. If she continues to play smart and within the offense I think SC will continue to dominate.

-First time I saw big minutes from Rivers. Honestly I wasn't very impressed....not a great showing for her. Airmailed a couple of 3s. For all the hype of UCONN/SC's freshman classes, all of them have been quite underwhelming so far.

-Masonius should've played more minutes IMO, she was phenomenal finishing around the rim (as she usually is) and plays hard even though she's undersized. Maryland got next to zero contributions from Bibby and Collins who are typically pretty steady contributors. One of the worst plays of the game was Collins taking Boston 1 on 1 at the end and throwing up a tough shot (that actually nearly went in) and it would've tied the game or given MD the lead, but I thought it was a terrible shot to take. Not very good games for her/Bibby.

-I'm not sure why more plays weren't run for Benzan coming off screens. She has one of the prettiest shots in women's college basketball and a quick release. Especially when Maryland had a tough time manufacturing points vs SC, they should've worked harder to create looks for their hot shooter. I also thought Benzan got a couple of really tough calls go against her. The bad calls evened out but Benzan often seemed like the victim of them on MD's side.

Overall/big picture:
For South Carolina-another terrific win for the clear cut #1 team in the country. Very impressed that they were able to pull this off without either PG. They are in the midst of an absolutely brutal schedule, playing at Duke next followed by a home game vs. Stanford. They're just really difficult to beat due to their size and all out effort. They play very hard defensively and have so much depth in the front court. Hope Henderson comes back soon.

For Maryland- Considering they were without Miller, had an awful game from Owusu, and got clobbered on the glass but still made this a winnable game is a testament to this team. Much better showing than vs Stanford and NC State. Maryland showed a lot of toughness. Also, very happy to see Brenda has finally put together a terrific non conference schedule even if it means MD has a few losses. If they can get Miller healthy, MD will be incredibly dangerous.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Amihere has her pros and cons. She frustrated Owusu and did a decent job taking care of the ball. What we missed from Henderson the most is her outside shooting. She is a 50% 3pt shooter, the best we got. Maryland is a pretty good defensive team with quick hands and we are not that great at passing the ball even with Henderson. Ball security, bad passes and turnovers overall is our number one thing we need to get better with.

Reaction Score
Just watched yesterday's game. Not the prettiest but was entertaining throughout. Takeaways for both teams:

-Major props to Amihere who did an admirable job at PG even if the statline is rough. I never would've expected her to take over PG duties or look somewhat comfortable operating out of the perimeter. SC definitely missed Henderson/Johnson but I was impressed by how fluid Amihere looked on the perimeter. She's still a major work in progress and will continue to get better, hopefully as a forward rather than a PG.

-The story of the game was rebounding. SC was so aggressive in attacking the glass and their players (specifically Saxton/Boston) are able to read rebounding angles incredible well.

-Angel Reese is definitely a work in progress but has all the tools to be a true star. Great handles and length, fearless attacking the basket and is very hard to defend on a 1 on 1 clear out. Not the best decision maker yet and SC seemed to figure her out as the game went on, and she wasn't able to adjust. The major area of improvement needed is on defense and rebounding. She just looked lost out there at times and didn't challenge nearly as many shots as I thought she should've. Nor did she box out hard like SC players did. Definitely plays with a lot of attitude/talks trash but I enjoyed it in the sense that it fired up both sides and it didn't seem like there was any dirty play, just a lot of emotion. Her and Miller are going to be an insane combination of size and athleticism if both can stay healthy.

-Owusu had one of the worst games I've seen her play. SC is tough defensively but her drives to the basket were just bad and she wasn't able to get anything going from midrange. Also didn't create for others. Just a bad game.

-Boston showed up again and added another outstanding performance for her POY campaign, which at this point she seems to be the clear frontrunner. She played phenomenal interior defense, did a good job scoring and was a monster on the glass. The segment about her working with Tim Duncan and staying patient in the post was great and it has shown up in her play. She looks very unrushed and is playing with great composure.

-Cooke I thought did a really nice job too. The game has slowed down a lot for her and she looks like a calm veteran now. If she continues to play smart and within the offense I think SC will continue to dominate.

-First time I saw big minutes from Rivers. Honestly I wasn't very impressed....not a great showing for her. Airmailed a couple of 3s. For all the hype of UCONN/SC's freshman classes, all of them have been quite underwhelming so far.

-Masonius should've played more minutes IMO, she was phenomenal finishing around the rim (as she usually is) and plays hard even though she's undersized. Maryland got next to zero contributions from Bibby and Collins who are typically pretty steady contributors. One of the worst plays of the game was Collins taking Boston 1 on 1 at the end and throwing up a tough shot (that actually nearly went in) and it would've tied the game or given MD the lead, but I thought it was a terrible shot to take. Not very good games for her/Bibby.

-I'm not sure why more plays weren't run for Benzan coming off screens. She has one of the prettiest shots in women's college basketball and a quick release. Especially when Maryland had a tough time manufacturing points vs SC, they should've worked harder to create looks for their hot shooter. I also thought Benzan got a couple of really tough calls go against her. The bad calls evened out but Benzan often seemed like the victim of them on MD's side.

Overall/big picture:
For South Carolina-another terrific win for the clear cut #1 team in the country. Very impressed that they were able to pull this off without either PG. They are in the midst of an absolutely brutal schedule, playing at Duke next followed by a home game vs. Stanford. They're just really difficult to beat due to their size and all out effort. They play very hard defensively and have so much depth in the front court. Hope Henderson comes back soon.

For Maryland- Considering they were without Miller, had an awful game from Owusu, and got clobbered on the glass but still made this a winnable game is a testament to this team. Much better showing than vs Stanford and NC State. Maryland showed a lot of toughness. Also, very happy to see Brenda has finally put together a terrific non conference schedule even if it means MD has a few losses. If they can get Miller healthy, MD will be incredibly dangerous.

Agreed regarding Masonius. I thought something had happened to her for a while during the game.

Reaction Score

-Major props to Amihere who did an admirable job at PG even if the statline is rough. I never would've expected her to take over PG duties or look somewhat comfortable operating out of the perimeter. SC definitely missed Henderson/Johnson but I was impressed by how fluid Amihere looked on the perimeter. She's still a major work in progress and will continue to get better, hopefully as a forward rather than a PG.

-Angel Reese is definitely a work in progress but has all the tools to be a true star. Great handles and length, fearless attacking the basket and is very hard to defend on a 1 on 1 clear out. Not the best decision maker yet and SC seemed to figure her out as the game went on, and she wasn't able to adjust. The major area of improvement needed is on defense and rebounding. She just looked lost out there at times and didn't challenge nearly as many shots as I thought she should've. Nor did she box out hard like SC players did. Definitely plays with a lot of attitude/talks trash but I enjoyed it in the sense that it fired up both sides and it didn't seem like there was any dirty play, just a lot of emotion. Her and Miller are going to be an insane combination of size and athleticism if both can stay healthy.

Overall/big picture:

Reese avgs in double figures in rebs she had 10 yesterday. It was stated early in the game that she had to watch her fouls bc she’s prone to pick up fouls early. That foul on her with Cardosa was BS as Reese had a great box out hands up & Cardosa just reached over her. Playing it back it was clearly over the back. Defense? She also picked the pockets of Cooke in the open court.
Reese played a good game overall yesterday besides her FT’s. Decision making? She also had some great assist to her teammates.
MD will rebound from this loss(no pun intended)

Reaction Score
I'm predicting the Terps 78-75.

Benzan, Bibby and Collins will hit their three pointers and spread South Carolina out. Especially Boston.

Owusu will play like an All American. She may be the best 1-on -1 player in college basketball.

Angel Reese will play as well as she did against Cunane and NC State.

And finally, Miller will play and make a difference.
I realize these comments were predictions, but I didn’t think Owusu looked good 1on 1 at all. Seemed very out of control much of the time. Often tried to bulldoze her way through… and that just didn’t work. She has great talent, but needs to better harness it.

Reaction Score
I realize these comments were predictions, but I didn’t think Owusu looked good 1on 1 at all. Seemed very out of control much of the time. Often tried to bulldoze her way through… and that just didn’t work. She has great talent, but needs to better harness it.
Noticed that during the Stanford game as well. Maybe she's trying to press things right now. Who knows?

Reaction Score

Overall/big picture:

Nice analysis on the game. Collins started off very well in the first quarter but disappeared the rest of the game. Bibby was a non factor the whole game. The 2nd and 3rd best players for the Terps were Benzan and Masonius and they were the two players who missed the Stanford and NC State games. They make a ton of difference for that team. I thought SC did a very good job limiting Benzan looks. Her first make was a pretty back screen where the defender went under the screen and she drained the three. Another three was made in transition which is her strength. But the rest of the time, when Benzan came off a screen, a SC player was there. I'm proud of the Terps that they played hard but other than Reese, Benzan and Masonius, they didn't play well.

Reaction Score
Amihere has her pros and cons. She frustrated Owusu and did a decent job taking care of the ball. What we missed from Henderson the most is her outside shooting. She is a 50% 3pt shooter, the best we got. Maryland is a pretty good defensive team with quick hands and we are not that great at passing the ball even with Henderson. Ball security, bad passes and turnovers overall is our number one thing we need to get better with.

I'm not sure Maryland is a good defensive team.

I am curious what pace-adjusted stats say about them the last few years though

Reaction Score
Nice analysis on the game. Collins started off very well in the first quarter but disappeared the rest of the game. Bibby was a non factor the whole game. The 2nd and 3rd best players for the Terps were Benzan and Masonius and they were the two players who missed the Stanford and NC State games. They make a ton of difference for that team. I thought SC did a very good job limiting Benzan looks. Her first make was a pretty back screen where the defender went under the screen and she drained the three. Another three was made in transition which is her strength. But the rest of the time, when Benzan came off a screen, a SC player was there. I'm proud of the Terps that they played hard but other than Reese, Benzan and Masonius, they didn't play well.

SC gives Bibby fits. Just the way it is.

Reaction Score

I think she looked good in the midrange in particular, but I don't think players who are used to scoring at the rim quite understand the first time around what the defense is going to be.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Reese avgs in double figures in rebs she had 10 yesterday. It was stated early in the game that she had to watch her fouls bc she’s prone to pick up fouls early. That foul on her with Cardosa was BS as Reese had a great box out hands up & Cardosa just reached over her. Playing it back it was clearly over the back. Defense? She also picked the pockets of Cooke in the open court.
Reese played a good game overall yesterday besides her FT’s. Decision making? She also had some great assist to her teammates.
MD will rebound from this loss(no pun intended)
Reese got 10 rebounds but consistently was beat out for boards by Saxton and Boston who combined for 13 offensive rebounds. Reese should've grabbed more boards IMO considering she was in the paint defensively all game rather than chasing players on the perimeter.

Defensively she had the great steal on Cooke, but that's one play in the entire game. I thought she was inconsistent defending in the paint. She has all of the tools to become a top tier defender.

Decision making is in reference to her continually attacking double teams in the paint and getting her shot blocked due to her low release point. In the second half she shot 3-10 on layups and had 5 of them blocked. Attacking the basket wasn't working and she should've chosen her moments more effectively. That'll improve with time and Brenda is one of the best coaches at developing talent.

I dont mean for this post to have a negative tone-- I was watching her more closely than others and came away extremely impressed by her ball handling and ability to create. She's a great player already and showed off a tremendous skill set. Definitely a bright spot for Maryland yesterday and she's living up to her HS ranking.

Reaction Score
Was the first time Rivers has played a ton of minutes. I thought it was pretty gutsy for Dawn to allow her to play 26 minutes in a game of this magnitude, but the game won’t slow down for you sitting on the bench. She missed 4 games with a concussion/broken nose/illness. I honestly thought her length bothered whoever she was playing defensively and maybe that was Dawn’s thought process.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom