Tennessee Postgame thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Tennessee Postgame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
One of the great pleasures I had today was watching the team actually do a bunch of things I'd been begging for them to do. Especially their screens. Now, I've said before that last game they got away with a lot of moving screens. But I also said I wanted to see an improvement with their execution of down screens, and low and behold, their effective down screens followed by their continuing good high screens, got Azzi and others open so many times today. I feel like a proud papa.
Well Papa, today was a great day. Notre Dame lost to Florida State 70-65, :D Tennessee lost to us...:D and WE WON!! :D Azzi finally had her breakout game. It doesn't get any better than that. ;)

Reaction Score
10 days ago they were 18-1with wins over Georgia Texas and Ole Miss and only an 11 point loss to Stanford. what would you have ranked them?
I wouldn’t. The only ranking I’m interested in is the one after the NC game.

Reaction Score

Freshman Azzi Fudd scores 25 to help No. 10 UConn women's hoops past No. 7 Tennessee.

Freshman Azzi Fudd made her first start for UConn and proved to the more than 13,000 fans in Hartford's XL Center why she is one of the most heralded young shooters in the country.

Fudd poured in a team-high 25 points as No. 10 UConn downed No. 7 Tennessee 75-56 on Sunday afternoon.

On her first touch of the game, Fudd buried a three from the left wing. She ultimately shot 7-of-9 from beyond the arc and also chipped in four assists.

"Today was a lot of fun," Fudd said. "I was smiling the whole time."

Reaction Score
They did babble some. There were a couple fouls called on UConn players and I never did learn who it was or what the foul was
Yeah, there were some rough edges. Like most commentators, some reports overlapped the play by play. But I thought they kept them to a minimum & they didn't use the game as a background for their network's upcoming events.

Reaction Score
Easily the most complete game of the season. UConn players feed off the crowd so today's win should eliminate all the ridiculousness that UConn would be moved out of Bridgeport. A starting lineup of Paige-Fudd-CD-AE-ONO, with Nika, EW, Dorka off the bench is a solid Final Four team. I still dont think thats enough to beat a Boston-dominated SC team or ultra-talented and physical Stanford, but they will have a puncher's chance.

Reaction Score
That's about all I can say...

I'd hate to think what the outcome would have been had Ducharme played. I should be thankful.

Sad Ice Hockey GIF by NHL
Interesting. I was reading the thread on the lady vol board and noticed your name as the one that stood out most for logic and rationale. I wasn’t sure based on your balanced posts in that thread which was your team of preference (not just between tenn and conn, but overall). Thanks for your balanced thoughts and insight!

Reaction Score
Nice win, but Tennessee is playing lousy. And to be expected because they really didn’t bring in any players this year. I know their fans had crazy high expectations, but they didn’t really seem realistic because they didn’t add anything to the team through recruiting.
Yikes, so many dislikes. I wasn’t intending to be offensive. If I counted correctly, the Vols lost 10 games last year (Including NCAAs). My point was that they didn’t bring in any big time recruits, so why would they expect to be vastly improved? I wasn’t knocking the UConn win, but it does seem the Vols we’re playing above their talent level until recently. Apologies to anyone I offended.

Reaction Score
Azzi's ZERO turnovers and 4 assists in 38 minutes. Shooting well over 50% including 9 3 point attempts. For God's sake put the ball in her hands.

What coaches and analysts like most about Azzi is her efficiency. It's a lot better to score 25 on 16 shots than scoring 25 on 22 shots. Her efficiency today was exceptional.
Azzi wasn't at her best today................when she's shooting really well the ball doesn't just go in the basket, it barely touches the net.......I'm sure she's not satisfied......

Reaction Score
Jorston looks like a great athlete and good basketball player but she tried to do too much 1-1.
Now I know why she always has so many turnovers. Partly bc the ball’s in her hands half the time.I think she’ll be an excellent pro though, particularly if she develops a 3PT shot. Great size.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Nice win, but Tennessee is playing lousy. And to be expected because they really didn’t bring in any players this year. I know their fans had crazy high expectations, but they didn’t really seem realistic because they didn’t add anything to the team through recruiting.
How about giving credit when credit is due???????

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One more comment on the game. When UConn was putting the game away in the 4th quarter, there was a transition play when I believe Evina fired a pass ahead to Azzi, who had run the court and was all by herself, behind the arc, on the left wing. As soon as Azzi caught the ball and squared up to shoot, the crowd began to emit a cheer, which built to a loud crescendo as Azzi knocked down her 7th and last 3 of the game. If that didn’t pump you up, nothing will.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I feel so much better! Azzi stepped up her game to what many were expecting of her. Our shooting efficiency (except for that scrum where we missed the shot and the following 3 rebounds) was good. Our defense was great and . . .

Most of all I feel great because we beat the crap out of TN!

Reaction Score
Dorka is smooth and Griffen quick but the two recruits are STRONG. Combined with Edwards next year, there will not be alot of finesse under the basket.
I think Ice is very much a finesse player. She replaces ONO pronbably.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed the Fox Sports coverage of the game. Kim Adams was well informed about both teams & she provided smart analysis without bombarding us with irrelevant stats or meaningless stories. Kim & Kevin Kugler stayed focused on the game despite the lopsided score.
Just shows that when it comes to art, music, or basketball announcers, opinions can vary widely. I though Kim Adams did one of the poorest jobs I have heard in some time. Her choice of adjectives revolved around words like "nice" or "good" (i.e. that was a "nice shot" or "good play"). High School announcers have a stronger vocabulary. Per Nan's comment about "babbling," Kim and her partner got the names of the players right about 60% of the time. At the end of the day, will look forward to hearing her again when I watch the replay of this great game.

Reaction Score
she's a classy coach..............didn't throw her own team under the bus and complimented UConn........that's the way losses should be handled...............hope to see much more of that from the opposing coaches in the next two months.......:rolleyes:
Interesting to read the Lady Vol site after a game like this. Surprised at the number of balanced posts. That being said, 2 weeks ago, Kelly was being anointed for her style, now many comments were how she needs to yell more. As we saw with CD's win when Geno was ill, many different styles can be effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom