Tennessee Postgame thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Tennessee Postgame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
One of the great pleasures I had today was watching the team actually do a bunch of things I'd been begging for them to do. Especially their screens. Now, I've said before that last game they got away with a lot of moving screens. But I also said I wanted to see an improvement with their execution of down screens, and low and behold, their effective down screens followed by their continuing good high screens, got Azzi and others open so many times today. I feel like a proud papa.

Reaction Score
Geno reported that Caroline was very depressed after being told that she wouldn't play today. But I'm sure that after spending a few minutes on the bench next to upbeat Paige, Caroline's mood changed in a hurry & she was smiling most of the game. Paige's enthusiasm is so contagious!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I enjoyed the Fox Sports coverage of the game. Kim Adams was well informed about both teams & she provided smart analysis without bombarding us with irrelevant stats or meaningless stories. Kim & Kevin Kugler stayed focused on the game despite the lopsided score.
They did babble some. There were a couple fouls called on UConn players and I never did learn who it was or what the foul was

Reaction Score
Good defense, this game, Tenn has 2 starters with zero point.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the TN game:
  • Whatever problems have plagued UConn this season, there is absolutely nothing that doesn’t feel a whole lot better with a HUGE win over Tennessee today!!! What a tremendous TEAM effort. UConn now has a very real opportunity to secure a 2-seed and a spot in the Bridgeport Region if they run the table in the BE.
  • The decision to start Azzi was made with the intention of providing more offensive punch in Caroline’s absence. UConn ran a lot of actions for Azzi all game long and she hit some monster shots today, looking every bit like the #1 recruit in the nation.
  • The sequence in the first half during which UConn had like 8? offensive rebounds in a row before Azzi knocked down a 3 was all about tremendous effort, hustle, and gave me the distinct feeling that UConn was not going to be denied today.
  • Welcome back Aaliyah Edwards!!!
  • Evina once again stepped up against her former team with a SOLID GAME that was yet another reminder to LV fans of how good a player they had in Knoxville.
  • I felt pretty good after the 1st half. UConn was up 7, hadn’t executed particularly well on offense, but the defense against TN was absolutely suffocating. UConn’s 23-11 edge in the 3rd quarter pretty much put the game out of reach for TN.
  • For a program that prides itself on consistency, it is difficult to comprehend that, 19 games into this season, UConn rolled out their 7th different starting lineup today. I will say once again, WHAT DOESN’T KILL YOU MAKES YOU STRONGER!
My look:
1. One of the most enjoyable UCONN games in a long time.
2. Began with another gut blow, when we learn Caroline can't play.
3. Rebounding was spectacular. By everyone. That one sequence where we got 5-6 offensive boards in a row was a killer.
4. Defense was suffocating ( sure, there were lapses, but Tennessee is good).
5. Best game I have ever seen from Edwards. Defending, rebounding, and hitting outside shots like we can depend on them. (Did you see her smile when Muhl said something to her about (Edwards) hitting that three)? That says a lot. I haven't seen her smile all year.
6. Dorka always hits her first three and then never again. But she contributed a lot. Good to see her moving so well.
7. Muhl has added her "found" shot to her overall game. She is simply great.
8. Williams should never take an outside shot until she has either made a lay-up or a foul shot.
9. What a great starting debut for AZZI. Her assists were as good as her threes. Soon, that pull-up jumper will hit as well. She can do it all. Including defend and handle the ball.
10. Liv dominated inside. How many blocked shots? And her outside shot worries the defense and opens up the inside.
11. The joy from the bench was like a sideshow worth the price of admission. Paige, Caroline and DeBerry in particular. ( camera did not focus on Piath ).
12. There is joy in Mudville.
13. Still too many unforced errors and turnovers ( no one is perfect ).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gotta give credit to Geno for the game plan, the approach of creating shots for Azzi with screens and trick plays. Azzi took and made a 3 with the first shot of the game. Azzi was the clear plan from the opening minute and both coaches read the memo. Great defensive approach made Tennessee one dimensional. Focusing ONO as more of a supplementary player today was huge. She wasn’t going to be able to dominate the paint offensively today. Just a terrific plan using what they had to work with strategically.

Reaction Score
C9558711-B3D8-4094-84AD-387920AF81EC.gif

This was without a doubt a big win and confidence enhancer for UConn. The team played well overall with an outstanding performance by Azzi as well as step up play by AE and EW. The victory improved significantly the team’s resume for the NCAA tournament by its defeat of a top 10 team. The win was made even sweeter by the fact that the opponent was UConn’s former arch rival Tenn. The team was given a challenge made harder by the absence of CD but responded with a decisive victory making the accomplishment even more gratifying.

Reaction Score
The past 3-4 games, just as UConn was going down the drain, Geno put Evina in and she immediately made a critical 3. Clutch!
Evina played great, up-tempo, drove the lane and posted up. Were now playing with depth with more to come. The coaches have some excellent combinations for all seasons. We didn't have to play inside much. Our bigs more than held their own and Ono was a defense force inside. Our excellent three point shooting will make for a more effective driving and more open passing lanes in the future. We are quickly becoming a tough out!

I did think the many foul calls away from the ball hurt the game flow. Also seemed like several fouls were called before the ball was put in play???? TN was able to keep it close in the first half with it's fine foul shooting. The refs didn't allow a good game flow and could have let both teams play more.

Reaction Score
The three best players on the roster, in my opinion, are Paige, Azzi, and Caroline. That's a sophomore and two freshman. How about that for an exciting future.
While I understand your premise and great thoughts of the future. This being today's post game thread, it would not have been won without the bigs. Every dog gets a bone today. ;)

Reaction Score
I enjoyed the Fox Sports coverage of the game. Kim Adams was well informed about both teams & she provided smart analysis without bombarding us with irrelevant stats or meaningless stories. Kim & Kevin Kugler stayed focused on the game despite the lopsided score.
spot on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon