Tennessee Lady Vols | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tennessee Lady Vols

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I get that, but you need a scorer. Someone to take over the game when needed. Kind of like what Jackson did.
I understand that. There are players who can score. I am going to wait and see what it looks like. I will have a better understanding then.

Reaction Score
This season it looks like Tennessee will be a middle of the road SEC team to me. I agree that the talent isn't there to compete with the top of the league. Additionally, were talking about a new coach at this level, so I expect some road bumps (i.e., bad losses or unexpected losses) while she acclimates to this level of competition. I think they'll be in that upper mid tier of the SEC which I think will look similar to teams like Alabama, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State and Auburn from this season -- so somewhere between the 5th and 9th best team in the league (and probably closer to 9th).

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I agree there are a lot of unknowns. The style sounds like something fun to watch.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Remember Caldwell took a Marshall team. That had not been in the NCAA tournament in years and made it. I think getting the ball over half court in two dribbles will be fun. No walking the ball up. And pressure defense creating turnovers.

Reaction Score
Remember Caldwell took a Marshall team. That had not been in the NCAA tournament in years and made it. I think getting the ball over half court in two dribbles will be fun. No walking the ball up. And pressure defense creating turnovers.
Caldwell did a great job in a single year at Marshall. I've read on VN how excited most of the fans are about her style of play and how she's finding the right athletes to run the system. As much as I loved Pat the LVs didn't win those games and titles because they had a great offense.

The last few years the LVs were incredibly slow. The players had length but most lacked quickness and there just wasn't a lot of team speed in general. Caldwell seems to want players who can move and her system requires it. I'm not convniced system that worked in the Sun Belt is going to fly in the SEC with SC, Texas, LSU and their highly talented rosters with five star, McDAA players. It may get them in the 5-8 range unless the staff begins to attract high level talent.

I'm convinced Harper and White had a falling out over something that led him to take this action. Maybe it's for the best for all involved but I don't see next year being an improvement for UT.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Caldwell did a great job in a single year at Marshall. I've read on VN how excited most of the fans are about her style of play and how she's finding the right athletes to run the system. As much as I loved Pat the LVs didn't win those games and titles because they had a great offense.

The last few years the LVs were incredibly slow. The players had length but most lacked quickness and there just wasn't a lot of team speed in general. Caldwell seems to want players who can move and her system requires it. I'm not convniced system that worked in the Sun Belt is going to fly in the SEC with SC, Texas, LSU and their highly talented rosters with five star, McDAA players. It may get them in the 5-8 range unless the staff begins to attract high level talent.

I'm convinced Harper and White had a falling out over something that led him to take this action. Maybe it's for the best for all involved but I don't see next year being an improvement for UT.
Pat built the program on defense and rebounding. The 98 team was a great example. They scored in bunches. The game could be tied. Then very quickly Tennessee is up 20. Having great players also helped. Yes I agree that Caldwell did a great job at Marshall. I think this style will attract some top talent. Spencer was SEC freshman of the year. If the season goes well 20 wins or more a good post season run. I expect more top talent to commit.

Reaction Score
Pat built the program on defense and rebounding. The 98 team was a great example. They scored in bunches. The game could be tied. Then very quickly Tennessee is up 20. Having great players also helped. Yes I agree that Caldwell did a great job at Marshall. I think this style will attract some top talent. Spencer was SEC freshman of the year. If the season goes well 20 wins or more a good post season run. I expect more top talent to commit.
Having great players did more than "also help". Without the Meeks and some of the fast, athletic players on the team, the gameplan wouldn't work. Pat couldn't recreate that by subbing out Randall and Catchings for Darby and Puckett. I think Caldwell will do the best she can with the players she inherited (many who were a fit for Kellie's style, less so for Kim's) and those portal players she was able to recruit. Next year won't be the tale of the tape. I think some of the experienced SEC teams or those with elite PGs will have no problem breaking the press...especially when the slower LV unit is on the court. But with an uptempo, more fun style to watch, the hope is that she'll start recruiting more talented players that are a better fit for her system.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Having great players did more than "also help". Without the Meeks and some of the fast, athletic players on the team, the gameplan wouldn't work. Pat couldn't recreate that by subbing out Randall and Catchings for Darby and Puckett. I think Caldwell will do the best she can with the players she inherited (many who were a fit for Kellie's style, less so for Kim's) and those portal players she was able to recruit. Next year won't be the tale of the tape. I think some of the experienced SEC teams or those with elite PGs will have no problem breaking the press...especially when the slower LV unit is on the court. But with an uptempo, more fun style to watch, the hope is that she'll start recruiting more talented players that are a better fit for her system.
Yes having fast athletic players is what will fit this new system. Three have already been added. So that is a upgrade from last year. We have not seen Boyd at this level. Cooper has played at SC. Strickland may fit better in this system also.

Reaction Score
That 98 team remains to me the 3rd best of all time in part due to their combustability and high pressure defense that was relentless. However, I always wondered why Pat didn't try to get more of those type of players. By the end of Catchings and Randall's time, the LVs were back to a largely halfcourt team with Snow, Robinson, Jackson down low and Lawson running the show. Randall and Clement struggled in the half court game and that's a major reason why their numbers got worse each year in the program (IMHO).

Back on topic I maintain year 1 will be rough and probably not go as well as most optimistic fans think.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
That 98 team remains to me the 3rd best of all time in part due to their combustability and high pressure defense that was relentless. However, I always wondered why Pat didn't try to get more of those type of players. By the end of Catchings and Randall's time, the LVs were back to a largely halfcourt team with Snow, Robinson, Jackson down low and Lawson running the show. Randall and Clement struggled in the half court game and that's a major reason why their numbers got worse each year in the program (IMHO).

Back on topic I maintain year 1 will be rough and probably not go as well as most optimistic fans think.
Both Robinson and Snow played in the W. So they were good players. Players like Holdsclaw don't come around every day. As for this year's team. I think Caldwell is a really good basketball coach. Just look at her record. Hung championships ever year but one. Yes this is a step up for sure. I think she will get it done. There are offers to several high school players. So I think she will bring in the players that fit to this style.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Caldwell wants to add one or two more players to the roster. One thing about last year's team. It took a last second shot for SC to beat Tennessee.

Reaction Score
Caldwell wants to add one or two more players to the roster. One thing about last year's team. It took a last second shot for SC to beat Tennessee.
Now that Rikea is gone I wonder who will be counted on in that lineup to take clutch shots. Maybe Jewel Spear, but that is far from a consistent outcome each game.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Now that Rikea is gone I wonder who will be counted on in that lineup to take clutch shots. Maybe Jewel Spear, but that is far from a consistent outcome each game.
Well the roster is better with these 4 transfers. So the are options.

Reaction Score
I agree there are a lot of unknowns. The style sounds like something fun to watch.
That is what I am looking forward to seeing. Everyone says they like to "push" the pace and play uptempo basketball. We will see. But like I have said before, I am loving this hire by Tennessee.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
That is what I am looking forward to seeing. Everyone says they like to "push" the pace and play uptempo basketball. We will see. But like I have said before, I am loving this hire by Tennessee.
I am also.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Congratulations Vols. Now yall have a good shot not to be mediocre next season. :rolleyes:

Seriously, where would the Vols be without the ACC transfers this season and last? Probably more like Tennessee Tech.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Congratulations Vols. Now yall have a good shot not to be mediocre next season. :rolleyes:

Seriously, where would the Vols be without the ACC transfers this season and last? Probably more like Tennessee Tech.
Well Arkansas lost a lot of players. ACC that's three players:p Maybe Lawson is directing them home:)

Reaction Score

Tennessee and Kentucky gonna use their ACC transfers to fight Ole Miss for 4th in the SEC. As with all portal-built teams, chemistry will be important. Which coach will handle it best?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I like all four transfers. I think they add to the depth and athleticism to the team. A point was made about Darby and Puckett not being as quick. I remember Leshonda Stevens started for the 98 team. I think that team was pretty good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom