Tennessee - just wow... | The Boneyard

Tennessee - just wow...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This is a Stanford team who lost by 18 to UCONN, and UCONN was without KML for most of the 2nd half, AND had a M.I.A. game from Stewie.

On a full strength night, IMHO,UCONN beats Stanford by close to 25-30. Tennessee almost never led in the entire game and was outclassed by a Stanford team who basically had a 1 woman wrecking crew.

Excellent win for Stanford, a team that is not one of the top 4 teams in the nation IMHO, and exposed the "new and improved" Lady Vols... Solid win, but by no means overly decisive. I do think it's shocking that Stanford won with their relative lack of star power, but on a neutral court at the end of the season, I'd expect another close game. Interesting that Russell got only 13 minutes and scored 2 points. It's easy to have big games against smaller and overwhelmed teams, but a lot harder to be effective against good competition...

Stanford, on paper, lacks anywhere near the "star power" that Tennessee has. Yet Stanford plays such a fundamentally sound game - I recall being surprised at how little UCONN's superior athletic advantage (IMHO) mattered when Stanford played defense. They are just so well coached and well prepared, and do a great job at maximizing strengths and masking weaknesses. ND is another fundamentally sound team, and as they continue to recruit top 5 players is the next real test for UCONN as the future of the WCBB landscape evolves...

I'm not sold on the strength of the SEC and it's highly possible that Tennessee is better than Kentucky. They certainly have more star power on paper. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the season progresses. Tennessee has their next big test at ND, and I really think ND is the #2 team in the nation. I'd be surprised if the final score is within 10 with ND winning somewhat handily...

I'd be really curious to see how Duke would stack up against Tennessee. Don't they play Kentucky soon? We will get to see them face off against ND, Maryland, and UNC... the ACC will be very interesting this year, as will the SEC...

UCONN
ND
Duke
Kentucky
Stanford

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Did you really have to make another thread to berate Tenn?!...Tgis is the reason the other threads were merged.
That thread was the game thread. This is a thread on the loss by the Vols. Not berating Tennessee at all. Just expressing my surprised amusement.

And just to educate you a bit, it's customary on our board that we have a game thread, and then once the game is over, people will post their thoughts and analysis of the game, sometimes in several different threads. Kudos to certain players, or the team, and comments questioning or criticizing etc.

I did not mean for my post to come across as "berating" Tennessee, but I will be the first to admit, and anyone who knows me on here would agree, Tennessee is my most disliked team. And yes I enjoy seeing them lose. A lot. But that doesn't take away from the fact that this is a Stanford team that may or may not be a final 4 caliber team, and they just took Tennessee's best punch and came away with an W.

Last edited:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
This is a Stanford team who lost by 18 to UCONN, and UCONN was without KML for most of the 2nd half, AND had a M.I.A. game from Stewie.

On a full strength night, IMHO,UCONN beats Stanford by close to 25-30. Tennessee almost never led in the entire game and was outclassed by a Stanford team who basically had a 1 woman wrecking crew.

Excellent win for Stanford, a team that is not one of the top 4 teams in the nation IMHO, and totally exposed the "new and improved" Lady Vols...

Stanford, on paper, lacks anywhere near the "star power" that Tennessee has. Yet Stanford plays such a fundamentally sound game - I recall being surprised at how little UCONN's superior athletic advantage (IMHO) mattered when Stanford played defense. ND is another fundamentally sound team, and as they continue to recruit top 5 players is the next real test for UCONN as the future of the WCBB landscape evolves...

UCONN
ND
Duke
Kentucky
Stanford

I do not agree with this post.

This Stanford team lost by 19 to UConn.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I do not agree with this post.

This Stanford team lost by 19 to UConn.
LOL I should edit my post to get the correct margin of victory, but that would take away from the humor of your post. Good one!

Reaction Score
"Expressing your surprise amusement".....Okay! Stanford most definitely played a mediocre game IMO....aside from Tenn's NON-EXISTENT defense on Chiney....they SHOULD have won this game...Chiney scorched them inside and still left room for Stanfords 3point shooters.....On the bright side Ariel really showed up tonight despite some critical down the strech errors....guard play and balanced scoring was impressive....but DEFENSE...?!?....IMO this that is what sets UCONN apart from EVERYONE....their defense AND balanced scoring...I love Tenn but I can recognize greatness when its there....BUT here's to hoping we meet in the NC game just for all of WCBB fans...blowout or not....it would be great!!!

Reaction Score
Did you really have to make another thread to berate Tenn?!...This is the reason the other threads were merged.

Probably not, but just did it to piss LV fans off like you. Happy Holidays...hopefully Santa Claus brings you a legit replacement for PHS within the next decade. It's a shame to have all that talent and not be able to utilize it properly. Does HW know how to teach the proper technique for "boxing out"? Graves and company were absolutely PA-THE-TIC in this department the entire game...and Simmons NEVER even attempts to box-out the person she is guarding. How LV fans tolerate this is beyond me...but they never speak up about this. Possibly the LV fans are as clueless as their coach!

Reaction Score
I would have glady talked about Holly's coaching until you said this.......I'm not a softie and I don't mind a good debate or disgruntled agreements but I didn't come here to be mocked or talked about.....How does the ignore button work?!?!
Possibly the LV fans are as clueless as their coach!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I would have glady talked about Holly's coaching until you said this.......I'm not a softie and I don't mind a good debate or disgruntled agreements but I didn't come here to be mocked or talked about.....How does the ignore button work?!?!
All joking, etc aside... Do you have access to see the Vols practice? do you know much about how the coaching works?

I've read comments recently that Holly said she's not taught this team any offense yet (this was as of several weeks ago). It seems a lot of focus on trying to play physical defense, going after O'boards, and not a lot of emphasis on passing, ball movement, motion offense, or other fundamentals like boxing out, etc. It seems a little bit to me that Tennessee is still trying to learn where their teammates will be at any given time on the court which leads to defensive lapses, or missed opportunities on the other end. But I've not seen enough games to make an informed judgment on that.

you seem like a reasonable and objective fan so i'd be curious your analysis of your team....

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
Like many here, I too find some guilty joy in any Vol loss but that shouldn't translate into unwarranted pokes at you.

You've been a respectful guest thus far and I am sorry that you haven't been treated better while here. Hang in... hopefully it gets better.

Your Ol' Pal Ho Ho Boo

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
"Expressing your surprise amusement".....Okay! Stanford most definitely played a mediocre game IMO....aside from Tenn's NON-EXISTENT defense on Chiney....they SHOULD have won this game...Chiney scorched them inside and still left room for Stanfords 3point shooters.....On the bright side Ariel really showed up tonight despite some critical down the strech errors....guard play and balanced scoring was impressive....but DEFENSE...?!?....IMO this that is what sets UCONN apart from EVERYONE....their defense AND balanced scoring...I love Tenn but I can recognize greatness when its there....BUT here's to hoping we meet in the NC game just for all of WCBB fans...blowout or not....it would be great!!!
I do get the rabid enthusiasm for a team in the face of all reality obstacles that pop up to block it, but how does "they SHOULD have won this game...Chiney scorched them inside...Ariel really showed up despite some critical down the stretch" piece together in any kind of way that a sentient creature can grok? Let's all try to keep our eye on the action and remain focused, and those comments just aren't.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

Let me get this straight: you are a Tennessee fan, coming onto a UConn board, after a Tennessee loss, and you complain about a thread about Tennessee's deficiencies - and you say "I didn't come here to be mocked or talked about"

If you have any understanding - any, at all - about the history between these two programs, this sort of exchange would not surprise you.

Or, more succinctly - "Boy, did you get a wrong number!"

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
OK - how many of you watching this game in the second half thought:
1. When Ariel Massengale made her one and only 3pt shot off some well run offense ... uh oh, no one is going to see the ball besides her on the next three possessions?
2. When Simmons made her one and only 3 pt shot - uh oh, no one else is getting a shot for the rest of the game?

This is the stat line for TN guards: 11-41 (27%), 3-14 (21%) on threes, 6 TOs and 5 Assist. The forwards and centers shot 50% 13 of 26 but only got 39% of the shots.
Both Massengale and Simmons exhibit what I call the hero mentality prevalent on playgrounds and in HS gyms all over the country - the 'ok, now I am going to win this game by myself' thinking that doesn't generally cut it once you get to college, and usually gets coached out of players. They have had 2+ and 3+ years at this level and they still revert to it in close games. I don't mind the shooting, it is the lack of running any kind of offense before chucking it up, often off balance or out of control.
Good win for Stanford, though they made it closer than they should have down the stretch.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Eric you're drawing awfully strong conclusions from one six point road loss.
I disagree. I think Stanford is not a lock for the final 4 either, which I said. I think both those teams will be lucky to make the final 4. As of right now, (just my $.02), I think the only 2 locks for the final 4 are UCONN and ND. We will know a lot more about Duke after the Kentucky game.

Again, just my opinion as of now, I think UCONN, ND and Duke are the 3 strongest teams and the fight for the 4th final 4 spot will come down to a fight between Tennessee, Stanford, Kentucky, and maybe Louisville or Maryland. Also a lot will depend on 1 and 2 seeds. If Tennesse truly is the class of the SEC and only loses 1 more game to ND, I could see them with a 1 seed and a potentially easy road to the final 4 - I'm not sure thought. We will see!

Reaction Score
Let me get this straight: you are a Tennessee fan, coming onto a UConn board, after a Tennessee loss, and you complain about a thread about Tennessee's deficiencies - and you say "I didn't come here to be mocked or talked about"

If you have any understanding - any, at all - about the history between these two programs, this sort of exchange would not surprise you
Or, more succinctly - "Boy, did you get a wrong number!"

UMMMM....like I stated I don't mind debate about the team but calling me clueless I can do without...and yea yea...I know the history...love Tenn...despise UCONN...I'm.one of those type of fansBUT I love WCBB and I RESPECT UCONN and what they've done....omce again I came here to talk BASKETBALL with some fellow WCBB lovers and where better to come than the UCONN board...that was just disrepctful.....but anyhow I would loveee to post more so I'm asking anyone that uses the app to post...is it worth getting cause I can't reply as quickly as I would like...

Reaction Score
The LV's done in again by Meighan Simmons, with another craptastic performance in a BIG game (5-18 shooting, including 1-6 on 3's). Simmons is by far the WORST shooter in the LV's rotation, but still has shot the ball at least 40 more times than any other player. Once again LV fans, why does your coach tolerate this non-sense. Simmons has personally had a huge part in the LV's lack of a signature win since she set foot on campus. The sooner Simmons starts losing minutes to a more efficient player, the better chance the LV's will have at actually winning a meaningful game!

Reaction Score
I disagree. I think Stanford is not a lock for the final 4 either, which I said. I think both those teams will be lucky to make the final 4. As of right now, (just my $.02), I think the only 2 locks for the final 4 are UCONN and ND. We will know a lot more about Duke after the Kentucky game.

Again, just my opinion as of now, I think UCONN, ND and Duke are the 3 strongest teams and the fight for the 4th final 4 spot will come down to a fight between Tennessee, Stanford, Kentucky, and maybe Louisville or Maryland. Also a lot will depend on 1 and 2 seeds. If Tennesse truly is the class of the SEC and only loses 1 more game to ND, I could see them with a 1 seed and a potentially easy road to the final 4 - I'm not sure thought. We will see!
I agree that ND and Duke are better than the next group of teams ... But not by much. I see UConn as a lock (of course) and then five teams fighting for three spots. So I'd say TN has almost a 50/50 shot. ND and Duke a bit better than that.

But now I see where you're coming from.

Reaction Score
The LV's done in again by Meighan Simmons, with another craptastic performance in a BIG game (5-18 shooting, including 1-6 on 3's). Simmons is by far the WORST shooter in the LV's rotation, but still has shot the ball at least 40 more times than any other player. Once again LV fans, why does your coach tolerate this non-sense. Simmons has personally had a huge part in the LV's lack of a signature win since she set foot on campus. The sooner Simmons starts losing minutes to a more efficient player, the better chance the LV's will have at actually winning a meaningful game!
Exactly the kind of thing that would never ever happen under Geno. Simmons would be getting splinters with Geno.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree that ND and Duke are better than the next group of teams ... But not by much. I see UConn as a lock (of course) and then five teams fighting for three spots. So I'd say TN has almost a 50/50 shot. ND and Duke a bit better than that.

But now I see where you're coming from.
Well there you go! I can see your point as well. This is turning into a really fun and interesting year. I never thought I'd be ranking ND ahead of Duke in my mind. I also thought Tennessee would beat Stanford. A lot of parity IMHO, outside of the UCONN Juggernaut.

Reaction Score
All joking, etc aside... Do you have access to see the Vols practice? do you know much about how the coaching works?

I've read comments recently that Holly said she's not taught this team any offense yet (this was as of several weeks ago). It seems a lot of focus on trying to play physical defense, going after O'boards, and not a lot of emphasis on passing, ball movement, motion offense, or other fundamentals like boxing out, etc. It seems a little bit to me that Tennessee is still trying to learn where their teammates will be at any given time on the court which leads to defensive lapses, or missed opportunities on the other end. But I've not seen enough games to make an informed judgment on that.

you seem like a reasonable and objective fan so i'd be curious your analysis of your team....

I can honestly say this....I love CHW and all she has done for Tenn...I mean she was there for all 8 championships but that was as an ASSISTANT...assistants dont always translate well into a head coach..at the time I wasn't an advocate for CHW to tale the position but I could certainly understand Pat wanting her to be her successor BUT IMHO they should have looked to bring in another big name...she just doesn't possess that FIRE of a good head coach....There defense is still mediocre....still no FLUID offense...Tenn has been running the "HORN" play for geesh all my life it seems...we need more offensive movement and sets...more moving with their feet on defense and not making sloppy tired fouls.....CHW HAS to toughen up and evolve or we will be a mediocre team for years to come DESPITE our great talent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom