Tennessee - just wow... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tennessee - just wow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can we get a Mercedes "#1 rated recruit" Russell sighting? Anybody? Is she really that soft that it warrants virtually no playing time in the 2nd half? Is it a matter of her being overrated or that the LV coaches can't help her improve, or BOTH?

Reaction Score
The LV's done in again by Meighan Simmons, with another craptastic performance in a BIG game (5-18 shooting, including 1-6 on 3's). Simmons is by far the WORST shooter in the LV's rotation, but still has shot the ball at least 40 more times than any other player. Once again LV fans, why does your coach tolerate this non-sense. Simmons has personally had a huge part in the LV's lack of a signature win since she set foot on campus. The sooner Simmons starts losing minutes to a more efficient player, the better chance the LV's will have at actually winning a meaningful game!

NOW THIS we can agree about...I cannot figure out why CHW plays Simmons so much....sure she can get hot but her wild play negates anything positive she does....I know some Tenn fans love Simmons but I've also noted since she has came to Tenn we've yet to have a signature win vs a team with GREAT guard play....I'm only looking to the bright side and putting on my orange colored glasses here...but I really think next year with Simmons gone and this crop of guards we have coming in plus Ms. Tucker...we will be better at that position!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
As I said on the other thread; hard to believe UTenn lost with all that talent…I picked them.

And what's all this respect for Duke…Where does that come from after their virtual no-show this week.

And Kentucky in the mix? You've got to be serious.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
NOW THIS we can agree about...I cannot figure out why CHW plays Simmons so much....sure she can get hot but her wild play negates anything positive she does....I know some Tenn fans love Simmons but I've also noted since she has came to Tenn we've yet to have a signature win vs a team with GREAT guard play....I'm only looking to the bright side and putting on my orange colored glasses here...but I really think next year with Simmons gone and this crop of guards we have coming in plus Ms. Tucker...we will be better at that position!

I mean Simmons is not the coach…this is not North Carolina (I hope)

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The LV's done in again by Meighan Simmons, with another craptastic performance in a BIG game (5-18 shooting, including 1-6 on 3's). Simmons is by far the WORST shooter in the LV's rotation, but still has shot the ball at least 40 more times than any other player. Once again LV fans, why does your coach tolerate this non-sense. Simmons has personally had a huge part in the LV's lack of a signature win since she set foot on campus. The sooner Simmons starts losing minutes to a more efficient player, the better chance the LV's will have at actually winning a meaningful game!
Hey, lay off Meighan! It's not her fault she's shooting 38% on the season and 25.7% from the arc, it's some creatures from planet Shakarim that are to blame.

It does make you wonder why when you have players like Russell, Graves and Harrison who are shooting between 53% and 60% that you don't just feed them most of the shots. Granted those stats were run up against mediocre teams, but so were Simmons and Massengale's horrific numbers. Go with the big girls.

Reaction Score
I mean Simmons is not the coach…this is not North Carolina (I hope)

Most def not NC...and never said Simmons was the coach...I said I can't figure out why the coach...CHW plays her so much......

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Most def not NC...and never said Simmons was the coach...I said I can't figure out why the coach...CHW plays her so much......

I was just being difficult.
If Simmons (and Massingale) are not getting the ball to the bigs, that is a problem that the staff have the power to control.
It's nice to run a sophisticated offense like we do but with so much forecourt talent, just get them the ball and play a little high-low.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
As I said on the other thread; hard to believe UTenn lost with all that talent…I picked them.

And what's all this respect for Duke…Where does that come from after their virtual no-show this week.

And Kentucky in the mix? You've got to be serious.

The FF has to have three other teams besides UConn. Some team has to make it even by default. Might as well be an SEC, ACC or Stanford team.

Reaction Score
I watched the game and thought Tennessee was the better team unless Simmons was on the floor. I like Stanford but this team has little talent outside of Chiney. Even though I dislike Tennessee, I think they have a better shot at a final four than Stanford.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Ummm - so lets play ... Massnegale with 4-13 (1-4), 4 assists and 4 TOs or maybe Carter at 2-8 (1-3) 0 assists 2 TOs, or Reynolds 0-2 (0-1) 1 assist 0 TOs more minutes? Just not sure there is a better option. I think it is a problem with the TN offense or lack there of. Guards got 4 assists to post or forwards in the game inside the 3 point line (one more assist on Burdick's 3 pt shot), the last one coming with 18+ minutes remaining in the game. They claim to have this fantastic front court, but no one from coaches to players seems concerned to try and get them the ball. I really like Graves, but if she doesn't get rebounds she doesn't see the ball. And the heralded freshman center got ONE shot in the game.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Playing a good team on the road is such a pain.............. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Hey, lay off Meighan! It's not her fault she's shooting 38% on the season and 25.7% from the arc, it's some creatures from planet Shakarim that are to blame.

Or maybe it's the same Navy Team Seal Six snipers that are plaguing the Southern Illinois Men's BB team?!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I can honestly say this....I love CHW and all she has done for Tenn...I mean she was there for all 8 championships but that was as an ASSISTANT...assistants dont always translate well into a head coach..at the time I wasn't an advocate for CHW to tale the position but I could certainly understand Pat wanting her to be her successor BUT IMHO they should have looked to bring in another big name...she just doesn't possess that FIRE of a good head coach....There defense is still mediocre....still no FLUID offense...Tenn has been running the "HORN" play for geesh all my life it seems...we need more offensive movement and sets...more moving with their feet on defense and not making sloppy tired fouls.....CHW HAS to toughen up and evolve or we will be a mediocre team for years to come DESPITE our great talent!
I thought CHW was really good last year in an impossible situation and I am not sure Vol nation could have handled an outsider coming in at that time, but I tend to think last year may have been her pinnacle achievement in successfully navigating that transition and having the team play respectably. She may have a better record and may get to the FF, but I don't think she will prove to be a really good head coach. If she can keep the recruiting strong, it may be hard to move on to someone else though.

Reaction Score
If she can keep the recruiting strong, it may be hard to move on to someone else though.

What makes you think that her recruiting has been strong? While she has definitely landed some good players, a few of whom are ranked highly, she has yet to land an IMPACT player. From my viewpoint, the true impact players have avoided committed to the LV's like the plague ever since the PHS coached LV teams started sliding in their performance.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Me, I want Tenn in the E8 game. I think shutting the door on a trip to Nashville would be much more satisfying. And I think it would sting LV nation, who are salivating for a FF. Nashville? DENIED!
That is my fantasy as well. Put them as the 2 seed in our bracket...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Both Massengale and Simmons exhibit what I call the hero mentality prevalent on playgrounds and in HS gyms all over the country - the 'ok, now I am going to win this game by myself' thinking that doesn't generally cut it once you get to college, and usually gets coached out of players.

Unless you are Kemba Walker! :D

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Don't need the app. Click your username profile in the top right. Then select 'Preferences' out of the pop down list. Under the style drop down box, select 'Mobile Style'. It probably says 'Default' or 'A&O' right now. The board will be much easier to read.

Sorry for helping the enemy. I figured some others might want this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom