Tenn trails at Missouri | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tenn trails at Missouri

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
First of all, as a Missouri grad and fan, congrats on a great win. (They never play UConn, so there's been no problem with divided loyalties.)
Eye was "on" today, Simmons was "off" and that was the biggest difference. (Although I'm sure there will be talk on the Tenn board about the lack of coaching strategy for the second half!)
Missouri had a good win against Florida. When the threes drop and they're at home this is a good team and can pull an upset. (Reminds me of some of the Purdue and Villanova teams of past years.) But they do not have the depth of talent to win consistently against good teams and on the road when the other team takes away the threes or they just aren't falling.
They had a nice crowd today (by MO standards!) and this win today -- arguably the biggest in their history -- should help MO recruiting.
I stopped posting on the Summitt when they started charging.... but I remember the comments from a few there (most were supportive) about Mizzou being a doormat in both football and women's basketball when we joined the SEC. Well, in our first year in the conference we've succeeded in beating TN in both. Feels pretty good.
By this time next year I might be living in Tennessee (my son lives in Nashville) and I might get to see them in person a lot more when they play Tenn or Vandy. I look forward to it.

Great win today.

The Eye was open too!

Reaction Score
From some recent comments I've read from a Tenn forum, some of Tenn fans realize that Massengale has so far been a bust. It's hard for her to stay front of anybody, and when she drives to the basket, she just jumps into people trying to get a foul called and throws the ball up hoping to hit something. Tenn's Sophomore class with exception of Harrison hasn't really performed up to expectations.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
From some recent comments I've read from a Tenn forum, some of Tenn fans realize that Massengale has so far been a bust. It's hard for her to stay front of anybody, and when she drives to the basket, she just jumps into people trying to get a foul called and throws the ball up hoping to hit something. Tenn's Sophomore class with exception of Harrison hasn't really performed up to expectations.
Massengale was the most over rated LV recruit in a very long time. Summitt made a big mistake in handing her the PG job while she was stil in HS.

Reaction Score
Massengale was the most over rated LV recruit in a very long time. Summitt made a big mistake in handing her the PG job while she was stil in HS.

More overrated than Burdick?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
ocoandasoc, thanks for a great post about your team. Your team played hard and smart today and really had it going in the second half. Yes, I really enjoyed it.....lol.

Tennessee has to be the most snakebit team I've seen when it comes to injuries. It looks like 2 more players are out. Hopefully not for long.

There appears to be a good possibility that Tennessee will have only Spani, Massingale, Simmons, Burdick,Graves, Moore and Phillips available to play on Thursday at LSU.

Burdick only played 12 mostly unproductive minutes today clearly still hurting from her hand injury.

Moore and Phillips have played 166 minutes scoring 68 points all season. Not sure how much they can contribute.

Should be interesting to see how Warlick and the players handle the minutes. Without their pressure defense, Tennessee is not as dangerous. Can they press when they have to go 38-39 minutes?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Postgame quotes

Senior Forward Taber Spani

On the difference between the game in Knoxville and the game today...
"We just didn't follow the game plan. We know that they shot great, especially in their home gym, give Missouri credit. They played great, and we didn't come in with that intensity. We just didn't follow our game plan."

On factors that influenced today's loss...
"I think it was mental and physical toughness. Like I said, I think they wanted it more. Also, it was our lack of education on defending the three."
eek.gif

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
More overrated than Burdick?
I was going to say that Burdick was at least as over rated, but Burdick has missed so much playing time that I though that might be premature. But Massengale has plenty of opportunity to show her stuff and there is no doubt in my mind about her.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Postgame quotes

"We just didn't follow the game plan. We know that they shot great, especially in their home gym, give Missouri credit. They played great, and we didn't come in with that intensity. We just didn't follow our game plan."

"I think it was mental and physical toughness. Like I said, I think they wanted it more. Also, it was our lack of education on defending the three."
eek.gif

I watched them screw up switching on baseline picks numerous times, with Spani committing that mistake at least one of those times.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Postgame quotes

eek.gif
I had to laugh at that quote, but in fairness, it's not always fair to pick on the specifics of what a player says right after a tough loss. They are only 18-22 years of age and often answering questions when emotional can sometimes be tough.

Having said that, it was Spani who said they weren't educated on defending the 3? Sounds like either poor coaching in practice, poor coaching in game prep, or poor coaching in the game-time adjustments needed... Maybe it was taking a shot at the coaching staff after they've often said the players lacked intensity and heart.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I was going to say that Burdick was at least as over rated, but Burdick has missed so much playing time that I though that might be premature. But Massengale has plenty of opportunity to show her stuff and there is no doubt in my mind about her.
Looks like we dodged a bullet on that one for sure...

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Looks like we dodged a bullet on that one for sure...
Remember, Massengale was a team mate of Morgan Tuck so the UConn coaches saw Masengale play a lot.. My guess is Geno never even considered offering her.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Remember, Massengale was a team mate of Morgan Tuck so the UConn coaches saw Masengale play a lot.. My guess is Geno never even considered offering her.
You think? you could be right but IIRC, there was a fair amount of mutual interest (maybe more so on Ariel's part) which is why they came to campus for their visit. It was shortly after that that we read/heard that UCONN was "no longer recruiting Ariel Massengale"... After thinking it over, I think you are right - Geno wouldn't have made an offer before the visit to campus and since that didn't go well, he probably never considered making offer.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Tough to gloat too much on a team that is getting whacked with injuries. What is the word on Harrison - could she come back this year?
On Massengale - I haven't seen enough of her to have an opinion, but I do think the situation in TN last year would mess with most freshmen's heads (as well as upper classmen.)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think Geno liked her a lot, but her Dad not so much.

I'm still bullish on Massengale based on her skills. She's strong, she's quick enough and she's a pretty good shot-maker. But as I've said on this board before, she plays too passively in too many games. It's almost like she checks out. If Warlick can ever convince her to play aggressively on a consistent basis, she'll be terrific.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
Yes, it was the overly involved parent that was the issue.
Nan, isn't this just speculation? I believe after Ariel's visit a reporter said from a source that it didn't go well and implied that it was her father. Her father hasn't been anything but supportive while she has been at TN and is not overly involved. I heard the reason the visit didn't go well was because UCONN wanted a decision and Ariel was still hoping to go to TN. Both are just rumors and we don't know what really happened.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Postgame quotes

eek.gif
Geez, 3-1/2 years of coaching, including 2-3 from an iconic HOF coach known for defense. What does it take?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Various sources indicated that Geno did not get along with Ariel's dad. She wanted UConn, then shopped her wares in Palo Alto, with no offer from Tara. Tennessee was next. The orange people may say that UT was her first choice, but that is simply not true. It's their delusion.

Given that, Omar Calhoun, Sr. should know to cool it. If he rubs Geno the wrong way, the offer to Sierra will disappear.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Nan, isn't this just speculation? I believe after Ariel's visit a reporter said from a source that it didn't go well and implied that it was her father. Her father hasn't been anything but supportive while she has been at TN and is not overly involved. I heard the reason the visit didn't go well was because UCONN wanted a decision and Ariel was still hoping to go to TN. Both are just rumors and we don't know what really happened.

What you heard originated on the Tenn message board and doesn't even rise to the level of a rumor. It made no sense then and makes even less sense now. Why would Geno have insisted on an on-the-spot decision? He's never done that before. I know the less-than-a-rumor from the Tenn board said that Geno wanted to nail down his 2011 class because he would have less time to recruit with his USA coaching duties. But Geno didn't insist on commitments from Brianna Banks or Kiah Stokes (who were also being recruited); nor did he subsequently pursue any other point guards in that class. If he had offered and waited he would have ended up in the same position. He was also willing to wait for commitments from Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck the following year when he was still in the middle of coaching USA Basketball.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
Various sources indicated that Geno did not get along with Ariel's dad. She wanted UConn, then shopped her wares in Palo Alto, with no offer from Tara. Tennessee was next. The orange people may say that UT was her first choice, but that is simply not true. It's their delusion.

Given that, Omar Calhoun, Sr. should know to cool it. If he rubs Geno the wrong way, the offer to Sierra will disappear.
So it is a delusion to believe what is actually said by the player? She has said on record that TN was her dream school and I believe her. All we have here are rumors except what was actually said by the player.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Stanford? Really? I wasn't aware of that.

In terms of timing, the Massengales visited Knoxville in December before their January 2011 trip to Storrs (for the UNC game). Summitt didn't make an offer during their initial visit either. In fact, Summitt didn't make an offer to Massengale until the following August after watching her play in the U-17 championship in France. Massengale committed shortly thereafter.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
So it is a delusion to believe what is actually said by the player? She has said on record that TN was her dream school and I believe her. All we have here are rumors except what was actually said by the player.

If she said Tenn was her dream school, that's good enough for me. I believe her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom