Tenn @ LSU [MERGED THREAD] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tenn @ LSU [MERGED THREAD]

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Lord, lord almighty. I just listened to Margo. Save yourself Margo before it's too late Step away from the Evil Empire and embrace the light! The queen of the run on, parenthetical peppered thought. Margo consistently starts on a thought and loses it somewhere in the middle (maybe), and drifts to something else and so on and so on ....

Reaction Score
They need a motion offense. Everyone just goes to their spots and stands there lol. all plays are one on one... sad to watch lol

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I hate Tennessee as much as is possible, but boy that presser was hard to watch. Holly close to tears, no idea why her team played the way they did, no idea what to do, and no idea how to coach them. But the thing is, if Tenn played the way they were supposed to (meaning, doing what they are supposed to be good at), they should have won.

Tennessee is supposed to be good at defense and rebounding. Part of the problem is no one on the coaching staff seems to understand the concept of help defense, rotational assistance, etc., and therefore, none of the players understand it either. And Holly lacks the fire in her belly that Pat perpetually had.

Combine that with anything resembling any kind of offense, and you have what you have a - a team reeling with 4 losses in their last 6 games, and one of those wins was against a Wilson-less SC. With the sheer amount of HS AA's on that team (7 currently, and they will have 7 again next season), even a chimp could coach successfully there. And truthfully, if you listen to what a good number of BY'ers (and even Tenn fans) have to say, it appears that they could coach better too.

BUT... the problem is that Holly is recruiting gangbusters. Not sure there's any other coach who could recruit better. Probably coach better, but not recruit better.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
And I just read a post the other day about women's coaches in decline.

What a great win for Nikki Fargas! Even the great LSU teams of the 2000s had trouble with TN

They are 13-6 and SEC play isn't easy. Hope she surpasses 20 wins this year

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I don’t think I’m alone in my view that the mighty LV’s just aren’t a very good team. The operative term being “team.” They have a post who often declares siesta time in the second half, they don’t stop the ball, nor box out.

Reaction Score
I truly believe Holly is on borrowed time in Knoxville, they'll give her one more year after this and have her resign. I just looked and seen they hired 3 new coaches in the 17-18 season, baseball, football, and volleyball. In 2016 they hired a new track n field coach, so your time is coming Holly.

Reaction Score
I truly believe Holly is on borrowed time in Knoxville, they'll give her one more year after this and have her resign. I just looked and seen they hired 3 new coaches in the 17-18 season, baseball, football, and volleyball. In 2016 they hired a new track n field coach, so your time is coming Holly.

I used to think the same thing.... but then year after year went by.... she had control of the team..... de facto head coach in 11-12 and now this is 6 more years .... not to mention 30 plus years sitting next to best in the business....

She just does not have control of the team.... and more importantly.... they do not respect her... IMHO only!!!!.....

I used to think.... they are going to make a change.... but the last 3 years or so I have thought that TN athletic department is happy with good fan base.... winning record and Elite 8 finishes....

Many changes I would make if I was coach, but I am not Holly..... she has a good team.... she just has to get results from them

Reaction Score
I used to think the same thing.... but then year after year went by.... she had control of the team..... de facto head coach in 11-12 and now this is 6 more years .... not to mention 30 plus years sitting next to best in the business....

She just does not have control of the team.... and more importantly.... they do not respect her... IMHO only!!!!.....

I used to think.... they are going to make a change.... but the last 3 years or so I have thought that TN athletic department is happy with good fan base.... winning record and Elite 8 finishes....

Many changes I would make if I was coach, but I am not Holly..... she has a good team.... she just has to get results from them
I can see it become more real now that the leadership they had at UT is no longer there. They got rid of the Pesident and AD beginning of last year, I would think they would cut their losses with Warlick and go in a different direction since they're upgrading all other sports. With Fulmer there now I gotta think that the alumni are going to be in his ear along with boosters.

I don't think she's lost control what I see is girls abundance of talent that is getting railroaded by Warlick. She doesn't maximize they potential at all. The players are confused on offense when other teams take Mercedes away, it's been drilled in their heads they have to get it to Russell, so they force it inside even when she's tripled teamed. New year different teams same problem.

Last edited:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
That press conference was hard to watch...agreed.

Honestly I feel really bad for Holly. If she worked ANYWHERE else and had record below she would be considered a great coach.....

Some coaches would love to have that record below and be in the NCAA tourney every season.

If you replaced Tennessee below with any school below we would be talking about what a great coach she is.

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Tennessee
(Southeastern Conference) (2012–present)
2012–13 Tennessee 27–8 14–2 1st NCAA Elite Eight
2013–14 Tennessee 29–6 13–3 T–2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2014–15 Tennessee 30–6 15–1 T–1st NCAA Elite Eight
2015–16 Tennessee 22–14 8–8 T–7th NCAA Elite Eight
2016–17 Tennessee 20–12 10–6 5th NCAA Second Round
2017–18 Tennessee 17–4 5–3

Reaction Score
That press conference was hard to watch...agreed.

Honestly I feel really bad for Holly. If she worked ANYWHERE else and had record below she would be considered a great coach.....

Some coaches would love to have that record below and be in the NCAA tourney every season.

If you replaced Tennessee below with any school below we would be talking about what a great coach she is.

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Tennessee
(Southeastern Conference) (2012–present)
2012–13 Tennessee 27–8 14–2 1st NCAA Elite Eight
2013–14 Tennessee 29–6 13–3 T–2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2014–15 Tennessee 30–6 15–1 T–1st NCAA Elite Eight
2015–16 Tennessee 22–14 8–8 T–7th NCAA Elite Eight
2016–17 Tennessee 20–12 10–6 5th NCAA Second Round
2017–18 Tennessee 17–4 5–3
The record is not shabby, but there aren’t many teams stuffed with tha many AA players either. I guess one needs to compare apples with apples. Someone needs to come up w a statistics on how many healthy AA players on each team at any given years, then we can truly find the coach with good record.

Reaction Score
I can see it become more real now that the leadership they had at UT is no longer there. They got rid of the Pesident and AD beginning of last year, I would think they would cut their losses with Warlick and go in a different direction since they're upgrading all other sports. With Fulmer there now I gotta think that the alumni are going to be in his ear along with boosters.

I don't think she's lost control what I see is girls abundance of talent that is getting railroaded by Warlick. She doesn't maximize they potential at all. The players are confused on offense when other teams take Mercedes away, it's been drilled in their heads they have to get it to Russell, so they force it inside even when she's tripled teamed. New year different teams same problem.

Yes Bernie when I say that she does not have control.... what i mean is the players do not listen to her.... good example is couple of year back.... she said "I tell them to assume a defensive stance, and they just do not want to".... and about the same time.... at start of season.... Massengale said that the team realizes that they really need to listen to what head coach is trying to tell them.... but that didn't last long.... what I have seen over Hollys tenure is the players pretty much doing what they want..... There are no repercussions..... and Fulmer and Holly are good buddies.... so perhaps TN will continue to be happy with 25 and 10 finish. I don't know

Reaction Score
That record is bloated also. She has 3 top 5 wins in 6 years is that right and two came last year. The coaching is failing the talent.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
and I believe Margo lives in "South Carolina"

Reaction Score
Holly is a perfect example of the nepotism that is prevalent in WCBB. She was Pats personal pick to replace herself. Pat might have known basketball but she sure was no expert on what it takes to be a good coach.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
good point about the "personal pick"... guess they're respecting Coach Summitt's wishes

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So... Tennessee loses to an unranked LSU team? And LVol fans nationwide melt down?

47v9R_s-200x150.gif
You took the gif right out of my...mmm, keyboard. :D

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
There were 19 ranked teams playing yesterday. In every single game, with one exception, the higher ranked team won.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Holly is a perfect example of the nepotism that is prevalent in WCBB. She was Pats personal pick to replace herself. Pat might have known basketball but she sure was no expert on what it takes to be a good coach.
I don't know that it's "nepotism" but "old-boy" or "who you know" networking. It's also about pedigree as successful coaches bread top assistants who are considered for jobs. Nikke Fargas nee Caldwell played for Pat, was an assistant under Pat, got the UCLA job parlayed that into LSU. Jamelle Elliott played for Geno, coached under Geno, parlayed that into Cincinnati. The list goes on and on like that. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Choosing Holly at the time was not the problem. The question is when does it look egregiously like the program is failing? Is 17-4 and a current top 10 (soon to be top 16) ranking ok? What is the new reality for this program or any program not UConn with Geno? What will be the UConn reality sans Geno/CD? These are all uncomfortable questions with no clear cut answer. She is bringing in talent-last count was 9 McDonald's AAs since 2012 plus her two for next year is 11. Will the next coach be able to get that talent? Fargas down in LSU has not and that program also has a pretty good history of WCBB.

The record itself is pretty good, and yes, numbers can lie. What assistants were responsible for those early records? Do the new ones know or are they able to make change? Does Fulmer with his long-time relationship with Pat/Holly assess this as "a need for a change"? Do they have an idea of who they would want? Would they dare break from the Summitt Legacy? That school is so tighly linked to it, how could they break from it? As noted, she has one year left at $650K so I doubt she is fired. The best outcome would be for her to step down as LVFL but I seriously doubt that as she is above all else, a competitor. Whether she's renewed for more years is probably doubtful. We can all just sit and watch-either in horror or glee.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom