Tenn @ LSU [MERGED THREAD] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tenn @ LSU [MERGED THREAD]

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
LSU is a tough team - they play very physical and make games ugly. UCONN has played them several times post Fowles and it's never an easy W. Having said that, when you don't teach any offense, and rely on the old model of Pat's mantra of "play hard physical defense, get O-boards and putbacks, and run no discernible offense", it's likely you will lose no matter how much talent you have.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I didn't get to see this game, and I wasn't really interested in watching — but ya better be damn sure I'm gonna cue up the replay for later :)

A huge win for LSU. They were looking like a tenuous bubble team until today, with an RPI in the mid-40s and their only good win bearing the asterisk of a Sophie Cunningham-less Missouri team.

Also, by extension, a good result for South Florida, who really needs its win over LSU to shine for the committee.

As for Tennessee? Fourth loss in five games. The Vols are in the same late January slump that Rutgers and Ohio State and Iowa have fallen into. I continue to insist that their heavy diet of OOC home cooking has done them no favors.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
LSU is a tough team - they play very physical and make games ugly. UCONN has played them several times post Fowles and it's never an easy W. Having said that, when you don't teach any offense, and rely on the old model of Pat's mantra of "play hard physical defense, get O-boards and putbacks, and run no discernible offense", it's likely you will lose no matter how much talent you have.

Coach Summitt's system was successful bc she was one of the best at motivating and getting the most out of her players. Holly tries to emulate it, but she doesnt motivate, and she doesnt discipline her players, and this is the result..

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So... Tennessee loses to an unranked LSU team? And LVol fans nationwide melt down?

47v9R_s-200x150.gif

Reaction Score
LSU tried to help by missing 13 free throws.

They more than made up for it though by snagging 23 offensive boards. Tennessee thought blocking out was something you do in a parking lot. Even a casual basketball fan can see the LV’s lack discipline and toughness.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The road is always a difficult place for SEC and Big12 teams especially and it is appearing to raise issues for Pac12 teams now, too.

We are spoiled by our 40+ road winning streak (a record that advances by 25+% the previous record.) Baylor and ND are the only teams to consistently have the talent and cohesion to be decent road warriors. Stanford used to be in that camp as well, and SC until this year had a nice couple of years run. Ms St may be in the process of going a full season with a perfect road record for the first time in memory. (NCAAs and SEC tournament are neutral.) That issue will be interesting when they play at Missouri, with the unbalanced schedule they only play SC and Tx A&M at home. They get doubled up with Florida, Ole Miss, and Kentucky. In the whole of their schedule this year the only currently ranked teams they will have played on the road was last weeks game at TN and the upcoming game at Missouri .

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just one correction, it is a very long time since TN played 'smart' defense. They typically play man, but the next TN player who provides timely weak side help will be the first in my memory which dates back to the backdoor lay-up drill Uconn ran in the Philly NC game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Coach Summitt's system was successful bc she was one of the best at motivating and getting the most out of her players. Holly tries to emulate it, but she doesnt motivate, and she doesnt discipline her players, and this is the result..
Just one correction, it is a very long time since TN played 'smart' defense. They typically play man, but the next TN player who provides timely weak side help will be the first in my memory which dates back to the backdoor lay-up drill Uconn ran in the Philly NC game.
I think both of you nailed it. Pat was pretty famous for not teaching much in the way of offense (hence, her famous "dalliance" with Peretta of 'Nova to learn some offensive schemes)...

But as Boxer said, she DEMANDED defensive excellence, intensity, effort, etc etc at all times. And if she did not get it from her team, they would face the consequences. By sheer force of will, she was able to get the max defensive effort from her teams.

Flash forward to Holly - she simply lacks the ability to be as intense (or use any other adjective) as Pat, therefore, with no new offense, no new teaching, she tries to employ Pat's techniques on offense/defense. Sadly for Tenn fans, Holly lacks Pat's... everything. They keep making coaching changes/additions (Law, Reaves, Gordon, etc), but none of them have any clue how to run/teach offense, and without Pat's ability to motivate, sheer talent will continue to lose out more often than it should...

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Tennessee doesn't deserve to be in top 15. UT is on a roll, downhill.

Top 15? Im not even sure the way they are playing now they deserve top 25..really bad effort today from players to coaches

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Tennessee doesn't deserve to be in top 15. UT is on a roll, downhill.
Ha ... "But they beat Texas!" the cries will be heard.

Reaction Score
You know I have always been a big Margo fan in the sense that she is so passionate for the Lady Vols.... but some of the time she really does say some stupid stuff..... she leads her broadcast today with the notion that LSU just wanted it more...... they had nothing to lose..... when she should have led with the LVs just did not come to play a basketball game today..... let's call it for what it is .... And the second thing Margo talks about is the referees and the way the game was being called..... this is a common theme.... and a very weak defense of TN's effort..... if the game is being called a certain way..... it does not happen in an instant... it happens over the course of a few minutes a few calls..... giving the coaching staff ample opportunity to adjust to the situation..... if I was a Lady Vol fan I would be depressed about now.... SOS happening again.... How many times would another coach have sat down players who weren't adding positively to the game..... take Diamond for example.... talented player... and a force.... but positive or negative force....?? How many times have i seen Mercedes not even compete for rebounds? The no pass possessions.... What would I do? Instill discipline.... reward only those who truly care about the program..... teach the fundamentals.... make appropriate in game adjustments..... For crying out loud... this is "We Back Pat" week.... and it was the LSU Tigers who payed best homage to Pat.... not the LVs.....

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Margo’s video is, in fact, a rant of typical same old, same old. She tries not to lay blame at Holly’s feet but by trying not to, she clearly points out the obvious. I am tired of the regular complaints by this fan base on refs having it out for them and their bemoaning that other teams want to beat them due to their past dominance. Really? Teams who were regularly pounded on by you want revenge?

Why do I delight in this fan base ina free fall spiral Down? Just when I think they hit rock bottom, they find a new abyss...:cool:

Reaction Score
Well. LSU leads 45-40 after 3. The effort undersized LSU has made on the offensive boards is embarrassing to TN. Win or lose. Playing on the SEC channel

Embarrassing to watch Holly Warlick's post game interview. Vol Nation's response was negatively unremitting. The coach was close to tears. I wonder about the other coaches, the bench coach? When do they call a time out to stop the bleeding, the second-half let downs?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Embarrassing to watch Holly Warlick's post game interview. Vol Nation's response was negatively unremitting. The coach was close to tears. I wonder about the other coaches, the bench coach? When do they call a time out to stop the bleeding, the second-half let downs?

If your the assistant coach who teaches them the concept of boxing out, that coach should be fired. The freshman have alot to learn but unlike Geno who is in a position not to let freshman play until they learn a few things like holding onto the ball, he has little choice but to play them gigantic and critical minutes. Good luck with that little "accountability thing"

Finally, why call a time out when there is not likely to be much help from the bench except platitudes and to run her press defense. Well LSU just kept throwing over the press.

Reaction Score
All good points..... Someone said earlier in this thread .... allowing 23 offensive rebounds.... wow.... Tenn out rebounded 44 to 32.... where is the pride.... Mitchell, not even a top 50 player coming out of high school.... had 9 offensive boards..... who allows a shorter and less heralded player get 9 offensive boards vs their team

Reaction Score
Holly looks distraught and doesn’t seem to have any idea what to do. She is sooo over her head. Sad to watch...for a major program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom