Temple to the Big East? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Temple to the Big East?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Just when you think it cant get any less compelling. The BE is a laughable football product and UConn Football will suffer as a result. The attendance is going to take a major hit. There is very little to be excited about in this tier 2 conference and even less so given there are no real rivalries. For those Herbst fans out there, this whole process demonstrates maximum ineptitude. Seriously considering whether renewing is worth the time or money with a program destined for nothing special in a glorified MAC like conference. I can't be the only person incredibly pissed off.

Damn. President Herbst should have never turned down those Big10 and ACC offers!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This more than anything else is why BCU, SU, Uconn, PSU, Rutger's, Pitt and WVU aren't all in the same conference. There isn't a large enough critical mass of people around here who gives a rats patootey about college football to make sure all these team play each other.

Laugh all you want at anecdotes of brides-to-be checking football schedules before announcing wedding dates but that's a reality down south. You literally couldn't pay Auburn enough money to join a conference that meant not playing Bama annually. Down here it really is a foe of my enemy is a friend of mine mentality. Hatfield vs. McCoy. Damn near half of a schools' fanbases' identity is their rival. That doesn't exist up here.

Your overall point is understood but even money and greed has ruined rivals in the South now with Texas and Texas A&M splitting up. The whole thing is enough to make you sick!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
our fanbase needs to become a ECU type in fball. they support the out of that team, pack the home place and do everything well as a group. there just patiently waiting for a invite to the BE or somewhere. we need to be like that no matter who we play.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Seriously considering whether renewing is worth the time or money with a program destined for nothing special in a glorified MAC like conference.

You're the second person tonight that I've read about wanting to not renew their season tickets. My ticket money is to watch UConn, not the other team. Is it more exciting when it's a big name like a Notre Dame? Sure. But if it's Temple, I'm still rooting for the Huskies. So if you are wondering whether you should continue to buy the ticket based on the fact that we're playing against Temple instead of WVU, my advice to you is.....don't.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Just when you think it cant get any less compelling. The BE is a laughable football product and UConn Football will suffer as a result. The attendance is going to take a major hit. There is very little to be excited about in this tier 2 conference and even less so given there are no real rivalries. For those Herbst fans out there, this whole process demonstrates maximum ineptitude. Seriously considering whether renewing is worth the time or money with a program destined for nothing special in a glorified MAC like conference. I can't be the only person incredibly pissed off.
Yah, she really shouldn't have invited all those other schools to join the Big East. :rolleyes:

Be pissed, but you are directing your anger at the completely wrong person...

Reaction Score
What i dont get is why we couldn't figue out which team we needed to be our 12th. Honestly its maddening to think that the Big East did not have a contingency plan for scheduling when WVU left. One of Memphis or Temple would have been fine to fill out the schedule and get to 12 members. But going beyond 12? Our membership would have been fine where it was, but I guarantee we wont stay at 13, so what we're going to have a 14/19 constituancy? 16/21? and who the hell is going to be added to get there? Buffalo? UAB? I mean this is getting out of control. When the Big East knew they were going to settle with WVU, they should have gone to Memphis and Temple and asked which one would be able to join next year and be done with it.

Reaction Score
our fanbase needs to become a ECU type in fball. they support the out of that team, pack the home place and do everything well as a group. there just patiently waiting for a invite to the BE or somewhere. we need to be like that no matter who we play.
which is why I hope they are getting consideration to join!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
which is why I hope they are getting consideration to join!

yea at this point i wanted them before every single add cept bsu, ucf and uh. they are fball ready like ucf but its right in the heart or dippers road. uconn playing fball down there and thrashing ecu's bball team(front page just for the visit in the newspaper) goes a long way middle finger wise for me. plus they play great baseball:p.
and btw, tailgating down there is good and the smoke shows are always out in force:eek:

Reaction Score
What's laughable is seeing people go incredibly emo when we've only been top-tier for approximately one decade and immediately expect our program to be included with other programs who have been top-tier for several decadeS. Have to earn our stripes. Don't be so petty and spoiled and expect to be handed a silver platter. The fact we went straight into an BCS conference is plenty to be thankful for. So many fans of other programs are jealous of our present position and we whine worse than toddlers. If you're going to whine, don't go to football games or be a fan of the football program. Go to the Mystic Aquarium, Mark Twain's house or something like that. Or play with your Barbie dolls. What an ungrateful fan base we have. If I am correct, we have a losing all-time record against Temple. Temple accomplished more in their program's history than we have.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
temple was so good that they had to drop the level of competition they play in a era where teams who never had a touch football game on campus before did nothing but upgrade. they may have tradition but they fell off a cliff like no other. meanwhile uconn has won ships in other sports and build/invested in a program like no other is such time. f the idea that we should be happy playing temple and others every single year instead of bc/cuse/pitt/psu/wvu/ruty/md etc. just becuase were a new guy doesn't mean we have to sit around for a while and prove ourselves, we already did that more than about 20 bcs schools in big confs today in the past 5 years. uconn put the time and money into this to play with the big boys just like we do with baskletball. now were hear and we seeing them above us. i want to join not look up and cry one day and balme youth. noise.

Reaction Score
With that attitude I hope you do stay away from UConn athletics. There are plenty of real UConn fans and supporters that will be there.

Reaction Score

to be fair it hasn't worked out so well for ECU.
all of the bellyaching is really getting tiring. the situation is what it is, deal with it. what else can you do? Temple and Memphis were probably the best two options on the table and we took them. why can't people get excited to play some different teams over the next few years? odds are we won't be in the Big East in five years but you might as well enjoy games against Houston and Boise St in the meantime. if Memphis and Temple are lousy, we get some wins.

Reaction Score
temple was so good that they had to drop the level of competition they play in a era where teams who never had a touch football game on campus before did nothing but upgrade. they may have tradition but they fell off a cliff like no other. meanwhile uconn has won ships in other sports and build/invested in a program like no other is such time. f the idea that we should be happy playing temple and others every single year instead of bc/cuse/pitt/psu/wvu/ruty/md etc. just becuase were a new guy doesn't mean we have to sit around for a while and prove ourselves, we already did that more than about 20 bcs schools in big confs today in the past 5 years. uconn put the time and money into this to play with the big boys just like we do with baskletball. now were hear and we seeing them above us. i want to join not look up and cry one day and balme youth. noise.

Doesn't matter what we deserve. The ACC or B1G decides who they want and why. If we don't make the cut, it doesn't matter. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that we can't pack a 40,000 person stadium every week? Maybe it's because we're the new kid on the block? It doesn't matter. You don't think Temple deserves to play in our league, well, I'm sorry you feel that way, but until ACC or B1G or anybody else invites us to the big boy table, this is apparently what we deserve.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I love the "if you hate the schedule so much, don't go!" people. A crappy conference and awful schedule isn't enough, now you want to voluntarily run people away from the program who were considering buying season tickets.

If you don't think these schools should matter when buying tickets, you really are clueless. Nobody is going to go watch UConn play them at the Rent. They will travel no fans. They almost universally have no history, no buzz. UConn being a newbie changes none of these facts.

It is what it is. Don't make it something it isn't- good news.

Reaction Score
I love the "if you hate the schedule so much, don't go!" people. A crappy conference and awful schedule isn't enough, now you want to voluntarily run people away from the program who were considering buying season tickets.

If you don't think these schools should matter when buying tickets, you really are clueless. Nobody is going to go watch UConn play them at the Rent. They will travel no fans. They almost universally have no history, no buzz. UConn being a newbie changes none of these facts.

It is what it is. Don't make it something it isn't- good news.
You're entitled to stay away, so just do it.

Reaction Score
Stunned at some of the pollyannas on this board. People who advocate retreating/settling for the Temple/East Carolina level conveniently forget that this state invested almost $150 MILLION in football facilities to accommodate REAL, BIG TIME I-A FOOTBALL, not a Double or Triple A version and the taxpayers who helped build those facilities are being charged REAL, BIG TIME I-A prices. Want to talk all-in? Hold Gene DiFilippo personally, legally responsible for devaluing those investments and locking UConn out of the cartel.
And by the way, as one who grew up near Philly, the addition of Temple does not "lock up" the Philly market. Their place in market is worse than BCU's in Boston. Ever been to a Temple-Penn State game in Philly? Place is 90 percent white and blue.

Reaction Score
Stunned at some of the pollyannas on this board. People who advocate retreating/settling for the Temple/East Carolina level conveniently forget that this state invested almost $150 MILLION in football facilities to accommodate REAL, BIG TIME I-A FOOTBALL, not a Double or Triple A version and the taxpayers who helped build those facilities are being charged REAL, BIG TIME I-A prices. Want to talk all-in? Hold Gene DiFilippo personally, legally responsible for devaluing those investments and locking UConn out of the cartel.
And by the way, as one who grew up near Philly, the addition of Temple does not "lock up" the Philly market. Their place in market is worse than BCU's in Boston. Ever been to a Temple-Penn State game in Philly? Place is 90 percent white and blue.

Sort of like when UT plays Memphis. Even in Memphis the stadium will look orange.

Reaction Score
to be fair it hasn't worked out so well for ECU.
all of the bellyaching is really getting tiring. the situation is what it is, deal with it. what else can you do? Temple and Memphis were probably the best two options on the table and we took them. why can't people get excited to play some different teams over the next few years? odds are we won't be in the Big East in five years but you might as well enjoy games against Houston and Boise St in the meantime. if Memphis and Temple are lousy, we get some wins.

The fact that Memphis and Temple were the best options is the real reason for concern.

I also agree with zls here. Telling people to shut and deal with it is silly. This is an internet message board. 99% of the banter is people complaing about something. Telling folks to make the most out of it ignores the reality of the situation. Let me know in a few years when we have less than 15k season tickets sold that the opponents don't matter.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Stunned at some of the pollyannas on this board. People who advocate retreating/settling for the Temple/East Carolina level conveniently forget that this state invested almost $150 MILLION in football facilities to accommodate REAL, BIG TIME I-A FOOTBALL

Yet again, I ask this board what on earth they wanted the Big East to do! I've heard crazy things from forcing Notre Dame to pitching a deal to Penn State to blowing up the Big East altogether and going independent! None of these things....NONE....are realistic options.
And let me explain to you what "REAL, BIG TIME I-A FOOTBALL" is; it's a fanbase that doesn't say it's dropping season tickets because they have to play Temple (or Savannah State), even if they might be upset by it. They just show up in full school colors, tailgate their rears off, dress their kids up in said colors, paint their cars and pickups that color, and drink that color KoolAid.

Do you know what would have made the Big East a bigger laughing stock than adding Temple? Making Syracuse play Rutgers twice! We would never have heard the end of it from the media outlets, especially from our friends in Bristol.

Look, I'm not an idiot, so I understand why the WVU's of the world are a bigger draw and a more attractive game for the season ticket holders. But we are not in a position of leverage right now. I'm going to continue to support my university through thick and thin. Do what you desire to do.

Sincerely,
Pollyanna

Reaction Score
Yet again, I ask this board what on earth they wanted the Big East to do! I've heard crazy things from forcing Notre Dame to pitching a deal to Penn State to blowing up the Big East altogether and going independent! None of these things....NONE....are realistic options.
And let me explain to you what "REAL, BIG TIME I-A FOOTBALL" is; it's a fanbase that doesn't say it's dropping season tickets because they have to play Temple (or Savannah State), even if they might be upset by it. They just show up in full school colors, tailgate their rears off, dress their kids up in said colors, paint their cars and pickups that color, and drink that color KoolAid.

Do you know what would have made the Big East a bigger laughing stock than adding Temple? Making Syracuse play Rutgers twice! We would never have heard the end of it from the media outlets, especially from our friends in Bristol.

Look, I'm not an idiot, so I understand why the WVU's of the world are a bigger draw and a more attractive game for the season ticket holders. But we are not in a position of leverage right now. I'm going to continue to support my university through thick and thin. Do what you desire to do.

Sincerely,
Pollyanna

You are barking up the wrong tree here. Most of us here on this board are diehards and will support the program no matter what. What we're concerned with is that there won't be as many paying customers.

It will take a long, long time before college football is treated as big time in the northeast as it is in the south. I don't think we'll see it in our lifetime. I've been to a lot of venues down south and out west. It's a completely different experience than what we see anywhere around here. That includes BCU, Cuse, Pitt, and Rutgers. The only comparable experience is State College.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You are barking up the wrong tree here. Most of us here on this board are diehards and will support the program no matter what. What we're concerned with is that there won't be as many paying customers.

I'm not barking up any tree; I'm asking those who are threatening to stop coming to the games to offer us solutions better than the ones I laid out in my post. Those complaints aren't stemming from concern for others not being paying customers....those complaints are saying that THEY NO LONGER WISH TO BE PAYING CUSTOMERS!!! Again, what other solutions are out there? I willing to listen to the other ideas out there.

By the way, Jimmy, I'm not trying to attack anyone on the board. I'm just trying to figure out what they want to have happen (options that are based in reality, of course).

Reaction Score
#RootHarder ...

Agreed. Why don't we control what we can control. If you don't go out and support the team play, no good recruits would want to come here. Performance takes a turn for the worst and then UConn will never have a chance of getting into the ACC or any other good conference. We need to support this team no matter who they play. Create exact and make the Rent a tough place to come play. This program needs to make some noise on the national level and they can't do it without support from their fan base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom