Temple to the Big East? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Temple to the Big East?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Memphis & Temple. vs. Marquette & DePaul. .

if we'd added Memphis and Temple instead of Marquette and DePaul 8 years ago i have a feeling we'd still have Pitt, Cuse and WVU today, but adding teams better than Marquette and DePaul really shouldn't be the benchmark because they were crackpot additions. all that said, these are unfortunately probably the two most attractive realistic options at this point. the worst part about the recent additions/subtractions is that BE football is going to be stronger than it's been the last 5 years on the field, but we'll actually get even less respect. even if the BE is lousy, we could make a name by winning 9-10 game seasons. now it'll be tougher to do that.

Reaction Score
And you would lose that argument. Just what the NE needs: Another BCS mouth to feed.
On the field performance Mark, Boise, Houston, SMU is definitely stronger than WVU, Pitt, and SU. Perception and ratings wise, you are correct, and it's not even close.

I hate the decision of adding Temple by the way. Hate it even more than adding Memphis (which consisted of a lot of hate).

F'ng DeFillipo. The pox on him, the Pox I say!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

My problem with this is not the addition of Temple. It's that this is being presented as a preemptive move for when Louisville leaves for the Big 12. I'm sorry but that's an issue that this conference is just assuming and accepting that this will happen. That's not OK. UConn truly will be in C-USA when that happens. I know we have no control over staying/going but we truly need to be pushing hard to get out ASAP.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
If the Big East really cared about football, they'd have given Boise State the $10 million.

The Big East is all talk, no action. No guts. No conviction. And as a result, UConn's 2012 schedule is a joke, to be played before crowds of 33,000.

Reaction Score
Get.....us.....out.....now.....

Scary thing is, if Temple did join for 2012, they'd have just as good a shot of winning the BE as anybody not named Louisville. I put Louisville as a slight favorite to win the league, followed closely by any one of UConn, RU, USF, UC, Pitt (all in no particular order), and then Cuse as not having any chance what-so-ever. You could easily lump Temple into that middle 5.

But as I started to say.....Get.....us.....out.....now.....

You, want to be a slave to the interests of tobacco road and ESPN. I do not.

Have a nice day. The grass is always greener where the dogs are tting. - Chris Cornell. Remember that.

Reaction Score
Figures I'd get that kind of response. Oh well. I try. Lead a camel to water, but can't make em drink.

The big east conference leadership, and their response to this situation, with Oregon bill boards being paid for by Nike across the street from Madison Square Garden, and advertising Harrington for the Heisman, while Miami and Nebraska are playing for the national title, and Crouch actually wins the trophy...and Miami wins the title, and the which is announced, well hell - every heard of the Heisman Trust of NEW YORK CITY!????

Big East media day lasts 3 hours and is held at the stadium in East Rutherford, new JERSEY?

Yeah, but I don't make any sense with all of this, do I?

Honestly, you are confusing the hell out of me. Are you implying that Oregon's success is tied to some billboards they ran in NYC 10 years ago?

The Big East just added Temple and Memphis. If that isn't a clear indication that we have to get the hell out of this conference, I don't what is.

Reaction Score
If the Big East really cared about football, they'd have given Boise State the $10 million.

The Big East is all talk, no action. No guts. No conviction. And as a result, UConn's 2012 schedule is a joke, to be played before crowds of 33,000.

....and there we go....I look over there, and realize you've got a hockey rink on the field at Rentschler, that you choose to put up for all the public to see, and think to myself.....oh yeah.....and move on.

Thanks for your support of UConn football, hockey man.

Reaction Score
San diego State, Boise State, SMU, Houston, Louisville, Memphis, Cincinatti=BEWest
UCONN, Rutgers, USF, UCF, Temple, Navy, BEEast...seems like we need one more, no?

Reaction Score
One thing I think the Temple moves tells us is that the Big East is committed to football for the long haul. There will be no basketball / football split ever. The ACC could announce that they are adding UCONN and Rutgers tomorrow and the Big East would probably respond by adding UMASS and another team. This is the first real proactive move by the league, adding a new school before we lose another school. Each move up to this point has to some extent been reactive.

I also think there is a solid offer from NBC in the bag. Villanova had to swallow hard for this to happen.

Reaction Score
If true, they fill the hole in the schedule this year so no FCS opponent which is good. That's about it.

Reaction Score

And we're supposed to do what exactly? Pissing and moaning is not going to accomplish anything. Nor is begging to join the ACC, which is becoming its own disaster.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
air force would be the 14th i would think. no way they don't with navy in. 16 would be ideal with a east/west. but also lville is all but gone and uconn/ruty are begging hard. still alot to happen the next 2 years...

i would be a very happy camper if come 2015 the big east looed like this
east-temple/ecu/usf/ucf/cincy/memphis/navy/army or tulane or smiss or uab
west-smu/uh/bsu/sdsu/fresno//school from nevada/school from utah

Reaction Score
You, want to be a slave to the interests of tobacco road and ESPN. I do not.

Have a nice day. The grass is always greener where the dogs are tting. - Chris Cornell. Remember that.
Slave to tobacco road? Please. More like a slave to Providence. You over state things like no one I've ever experienced.

Not that we have an offer, and we may never have an offer, but the B1G or ACC are significantly better landing spots than what is happening around us right now. This isn't the league we joined. Give me the B1G, please. But short of that, nearly half of the ACC will be schools we were originally joining the BE FB conference to be with. There is only 1 remaining BE school left from when we moved up - RU (well, 2 if Temple does come back - they were such a huge hit the first time aaround). We have significantly more in common with the members of the ACC and B1G. Even if this next BE TV contract is more money, get us out.

"I'd rather be a dog tting in the plush green grass with all the other dogs, as opposed to scabbed over rodent scurrying around every dumpster wondering where my next scrap is coming from" - SAMCRO. Remember that.

Reaction Score
San diego State, Boise State, SMU, Houston, Louisville, Memphis, Cincinatti=BEWest
UCONN, Rutgers, USF, UCF, Temple, Navy, BEEast...seems like we need one more, no?
Take Louisville out of your West, they'll be in the B12 East in a year or two.

Reaction Score
Honestly, you are confusing the hell out of me. Are you implying that Oregon's success is tied to some billboards they ran in NYC 10 years ago?

The Big East just added Temple and Memphis. If that isn't a clear indication that we have to get the hell out of this conference, I don't what is.

and go where?

I suppose it all comes down to whether or not your follower or leader kind of mentality. I don't want anything to do with the ACC. I didn't in the past, and I don't now. What I"ve wanted all along, is for us to get our priorities straight. In 2012 and going forward, should we actually align elsewhere in the country with new institutions and leave the conference we've been affiliated with since 1979..... we'd be a better fit for the big 10 alliance of schools, than we are the ACC anyway.

But as said, what I've wanted all along, was to get our priorities straight. I want a northeastern all sports intercollegiate athletic conference competiting at the highest levels in all sports, most importantly FOOTBALL, and at the same time, that has it's duckign priorities flying f8cking straight. We've competed in the northeast at the top level, but up until 2010, the priorities in the league weren't right, and what's happened all along since 1990, has happened because of the priorities. Up until this past year, I wanted out.

Even when we were winning our basketball national championship in 1999, by beating Duke at Tropicana Field, and Ricky Moore was scoring like a maching in the first half and locked down Trajan Langdon like Randy Edsall on a quarterback in the second - I wanted out of the Big East. I didn't want IN to the ACC though.

I no longer want out, because those priorities, have clearly, CLEARLY changed.

We're in the process of building that northeast conference right now, with any and all of the pieces that are left, and we're going to be the leaders in making it happen, not followers. Football is going to spread out nationwide now, because establishing this kind of athletic conference in the northeast, solidly, is happening 20 years late.

Basketball is only suffering right now, because of the basketball oriented leadership of this conference and it's decision making by it's members for the past 30 years. Get a grip on it, and it won't seem so bad, it was all brought on by ourselves, themselves.

Football is NOT suffering becuase of anything that's happening, football has gotten stronger actually, and basketball can continue to be just as strong as ever. Memphis and Temple basketball is not a terrible thing, and NCAA tournament appearances are what matter in b-ball.

It's a generation of television involvement in college sports since 1984, that has led to the opinion, that anything else, besides actually winning, is most important. That who you play, is actually more important, than winning.

Nonsense. You compete to win, and you're only limited as to how far you can go, as to how high you set your goals.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
"I'd rather be a dog tting in the plush green grass with all the other dogs, as opposed to scabbed over rodent scurrying around every dumpster wondering where my next scrap is coming from" - SAMCRO. Remember that.

I hope you will give the ok for me to add that as a sig line. hahahahaha perfect.

Reaction Score
before I pay for season tix March 1 (to avoid the $20 ordering fee) I plan on calling Storrs and ask if they plan on bringing down the cost of the package if Temple takes WVU's place. I welcome others to do the same #wardepleasesaveusfromthisnightmare

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
We're in the process of building that northeast conference right now, with any and all of the pieces that are left, and we're going to be the leaders in making it happen, not followers.

-The additions to the NNBE, such as SDSU, BSU, Memphis, etc... kind of fly in the face of your "northeast" premise.
-I can challenge a bunch of midgets to a height contest and go undefeated. And so what? To crown myself tallest midget in the Northeast? Blech.

Reaction Score
and go where?

I suppose it all comes down to whether or not your follower or leader kind of mentality. I don't want anything to do with the ACC. I didn't in the past, and I don't now. What I"ve wanted all along, is for us to get our priorities straight. In 2012 and going forward, should we actually align elsewhere in the country with new institutions and leave the conference we've been affiliated with since 1979..... we'd be a better fit for the big 10 alliance of schools, than we are the ACC anyway.

But as said, what I've wanted all along, was to get our priorities straight. I want a northeastern all sports intercollegiate athletic conference competiting at the highest levels in all sports, most importantly FOOTBALL, and at the same time, that has it's duckign priorities flying f8cking straight. We've competed in the northeast at the top level, but up until 2010, the priorities in the league weren't right, and what's happened all along since 1990, has happened because of the priorities. Up until this past year, I wanted out.

Even when we were winning our basketball national championship in 1999, by beating Duke at Tropicana Field, and Ricky Moore was scoring like a maching in the first half and locked down Trajan Langdon like Randy Edsall on a quarterback in the second - I wanted out of the Big East. I didn't want IN to the ACC though.

I no longer want out, because those priorities, have clearly, CLEARLY changed.

We're in the process of building that northeast conference right now, with any and all of the pieces that are left, and we're going to be the leaders in making it happen, not followers. Football is going to spread out nationwide now, because establishing this kind of athletic conference in the northeast, solidly, is happening 20 years late.

Basketball is only suffering right now, because of the basketball oriented leadership of this conference and it's decision making by it's members for the past 30 years. Get a grip on it, and it won't seem so bad, it was all brought on by ourselves, themselves.

Football is NOT suffering becuase of anything that's happening, football has gotten stronger actually, and basketball can continue to be just as strong as ever. Memphis and Temple basketball is not a terrible thing, and NCAA tournament appearances are what matter in b-ball.

It's a generation of television involvement in college sports since 1984, that has led to the opinion, that anything else, besides actually winning, is most important. That who you play, is actually more important, than winning.

Nonsense. You compete to win, and you're only limited as to how far you can go, as to how high you set your goals.

You have lost it. Completely lost it.

I know this is a free board, but the mods should seriously consider charging a fee to read your posts.

Reaction Score
before I pay for season tix March 1 (to avoid the $20 ordering fee) I plan on calling Storrs and ask if they plan on bringing down the cost of the package if Temple takes WVU's place. I welcome others to do the same #wardepleasesaveusfromthisnightmare

exactly what I'm talking about. I went absolutely crazy when the possibility of losing a UConn football game entirely, happened last year. (not the first time it's happened)......

people are like - what the heck is this guy so worked up about? It's UConn v. Fordham. We potentially would have lost an entire game, had that not been rescheduled so quick.

Now, with this mess with WVU and the big 12 broadcasting contracts, you've got fans that are more concerned about who the opponent is, rather than our own team.

It all goes back to that supreme court decision in 1984, and an entire generation of Americans that have grown up with the college football broadcasting and the shifting intercollegiate landscape, ever since.

I really want UConn football fans, to be the Husky maniacs that Jim Calhoun created in the late 1980s. The fans that froth at mouth for UCONN.

Not people that are concerned about what the other color jerserys are.

"Line up the opponents, I don't care who they are." ........Jim Calhoun.

So, you go ahead, and call the ticket office, and ask your question. That's being really supportive of UConn. They already dropped the price significantly this year. jack wagon.

Reaction Score
You have lost it. Completely lost it.

I know this is a free board, but the mods should seriously consider charging a fee to read your posts.

As long as the majority of the proceeds go to me, I'm all for it.

Reaction Score
For now, the big east is the only conference in the country, that can lay legitimate claim to the broadcasting region that is the northeast corridor from D.C. to Boston. In both football and basketball. We are also tied to Notre Dame.

And that folks - in this intercollegiate world we live in now, whatever organization holds those claims, is the one that I want to be part of, until there is a playoff system to determine a true national champ among conference winners in 1-A football, becuase until there is, this chaos in conference shifiting is only going to continue to get more and more shifty.

That's it. Had enough for today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog