Temple to the Big East? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Temple to the Big East?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
People can complain all they want about Temple. People complained about UConn once, too. The ACC didn't invite us. Period. No matter how many people say "get us out of here," this is our home for the foreseeable future. If the ACC calls, we'll be gone. If they don't, we'll have to accept our place in the New Big East.

I don't have a problem with the additions of Memphis and Temple. The Big East is in a bad position and had to make tough choices without any real obvious solutions. We can blame the BE Leadership or we can blame the Basketball Schools or we can blame WVU/Cuse/Pitt or we can blame a weak culture of college football in the Northeast. It doesn't really matter.

This is our home and we have every opportunity to step up and make the best of it by supporting out program. If we continue to support this program, everything else will come in time.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
People can complain all they want about Temple. People complained about UConn once, too. The ACC didn't invite us. Period. No matter how many people say "get us out of here," this is our home for the foreseeable future. If the ACC calls, we'll be gone. If they don't, we'll have to accept our place in the New Big East.

I don't have a problem with the additions of Memphis and Temple. The Big East is in a bad position and had to make tough choices without any real obvious solutions. We can blame the BE Leadership or we can blame the Basketball Schools or we can blame WVU/Cuse/Pitt or we can blame a weak culture of college football in the Northeast. It doesn't really matter.

This is our home and we have every opportunity to step up and make the best of it by supporting out program. If we continue to support this program, everything else will come in time.
Fair and reasonable.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Seriously, Carl, what does hockey have to do with this? Ive had FB season tix since 2002. You're the moron who thinks the Big East has more bargaining power than the SEC. You are completely deranged and delusional.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i cracked the code today fellas.
carl is john marinate. it explains everything from the train of thought tv wise to the additions and subtractions that have happened. all the history links he gives us are his daily reading his intern gives him to check out so that eventually with enough knowledge of past d1 football he can become a average commish of a bcs football league. those links are teaching him about how much tradition is worth and now he thinks that if he builds a bunch of teams he can create tradition becuase he now knows its important. amazing stuff.:p

for the record becuase this has been in several threads lately, drop the whole zls is a hockey guy thing, its a freaking avatar chesus. at least he puts one up. thats just another thing that grinds my gears here, the pride is down. so many here don't have avatars or put links to things or twitter or something in there signatures. how come we dont have championship banners on top of pages like other forums or avatars of a football helmets and uconn basketballs on the forums page etc. i have posted pics of things that would have easily worked well before but it just never happened. some 1 i thought did do banners also....end rant

Reaction Score
I'm about to drop $1,200 plus for four season tickets and I have no right to complain when Temple is subbed in for West Virginia?
If I'm paying BCS prices, I expect a BCS product.
"jackwagon"? You're better than that Spack. You're also smart enough to know when Calhoun started UConn had a ton of marquee opponents. The quality of Big East opposition helped sell UConn tickets.
sorry, UMass, Buffalo, Temple plus N.C. State, Pitt, Cincinnati does not equal $50 per person per game.
Maybe we should go back to playing Rhode Island in November in Storrs before 1,000 people. But they'll all be bleeding Husky blue, by god

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
First of all, HuskyfanDan has a point about having an avatar, and I hope he digs mine as much as I dig his. I don't think Notre Dame digs it, though...

Second, I think that the Temple move (if completed) is a very solid move. It adds a good football team as well as a good basketball team in the fifth largest city in the country. They're a regional fit that could establish good rivalries with UConn, RU, and Navy. For all of those people on the Boneyard who continue to moan and groan about the fact that we are adding Temple and not Notre Dame or Penn State, please stop. Who else do you really want the Big East to add?!? We are trying to stabilize the conference with good football teams willing to join our league and follow it with a pitch to the cable companies such as, "Hey, we are in big cities in multiple time zones with a current AQ tie in and fantastic basketball to boot. Give us money..."
However, I actually think that some of you believe UConn would be better off as an independent. They won't be. They'll turn into Army. If this conference is so easy and cupcake-like, we should have no problem winning it. If it isn't, what are we all whining about?

In summation, welcome to all the new Big East members (including possibly Temple), and GO UCONN!!!!! U....C.....O....N.....N.... UConn! UConn! UConn! (yeah, I am "that guy")

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
So much RutgersAl in you, Mr. Spackler - and I mean that in the most positive, sincerest way.

God bless you, and God bless America...

Reaction Score
Come on guys, this locks up the Philly market. Huge power move.

I agree and I like adding a northeastern team. Their football is on the rise and I think their sophomore QB last year was very impressive and they have a very nice RB that will replace their Nfl back (forget his name). People forget about basketball and they have a very nice bball program Adding SDSU,Memphis, and know Temple to the BE means the BE doesn't really lose a step in hoops.

Reaction Score
First of all, HuskyfanDan has a point about having an avatar, and I hope he digs mine as much as I dig his. I don't think Notre Dame digs it, though...

Second, I think that the Temple move (if completed) is a very solid move. It adds a good football team as well as a good basketball team in the fifth largest city in the country. They're a regional fit that could establish good rivalries with UConn, RU, and Navy. For all of those people on the Boneyard who continue to moan and groan about the fact that we are adding Temple and not Notre Dame or Penn State, please stop. Who else do you really want the Big East to add?!? We are trying to stabilize the conference with good football teams willing to join our league and follow it with a pitch to the cable companies such as, "Hey, we are in big cities in multiple time zones with a current AQ tie in and fantastic basketball to boot. Give us money..."
However, I actually think that some of you believe UConn would be better off as an independent. They won't be. They'll turn into Army. If this conference is so easy and cupcake-like, we should have no problem winning it. If it isn't, what are we all whining about?

In summation, welcome to all the new Big East members (including possibly Temple), and GO UCONN!!!!! U....C.....O....N.....N.... UConn! UConn! UConn! (yeah, I am "that guy")
i'm w/ ya 97, & for that matter w/ CArl as well.
the tools among us are the crybabies begging 4 an acc invite, or BIG10, forget it already

UConn is not considered of the upper echelon amongst state U's that inhabit the BIG5 BCS leagues, wrap your mind around that reality & suddenly the world of BIGtime college athletics makes much more sense

& the ND pipe-dream is just that, it is nauseating to read continual posts of how the BIG east needs to get tough, w/ ultimatums & such, the Irish laugh @ the notion.

these are all marriages of convenience, & right now UConn is not a hot-enough property to live in the most expensive neighborhood

& to that i say: so what?

it shouldn't hinder coach P from building a high-quality product on the field, being in a BCS league isn't a guarantee of anything, there are plenty of middling fb programs filling out BCS conference rosters.

& i'm w/ 97, that if this new BE is so bad, i suppose the expectation is that the Huskies will simply walk-off w/ multiple championships in coming years, yes? well, let's see that happen...

Reaction Score

I agree....The purpose here is to support UCONN.. Although the loss of West Virginia stings a little bit we have to continue to be fans. Temple is competitive . They had Penn State on the ropes and walloped Maryland. Also they beat us a few years ago. This is a season for Uconn to rise to the occasion. We have a guaranteed BCS bid no matter who we play during the season. If I still lived in CT I would have season tickets unquestionably and attend every game. You guys are lucky. I see them play USF one year and I fly up the next year for a game. Its about supporting the school and the program. The more support we give the more it can grow and attract better players. Next year we will have Boise, Houston , UCF, SMU and others coming in. I for one am excited about these matchups.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If it makes people feel any better (and it won't), we are likely replacing the West Virginia game with Temple......Florida State is replacing the West Virginia game with Savannah State.....ouch! How's that for ticket purchase regret...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
i'm w/ ya 97, & for that matter w/ CArl as well.
the tools among us are the crybabies begging 4 an acc invite, or BIG10, forget it already

UConn is not considered of the upper echelon amongst state U's that inhabit the BIG5 BCS leagues, wrap your mind around that reality & suddenly the world of BIGtime college athletics makes much more sense

& the ND pipe-dream is just that, it is nauseating to read continual posts of how the BIG east needs to get tough, w/ ultimatums & such, the Irish laugh @ the notion.

these are all marriages of convenience, & right now UConn is not a hot-enough property to live in the most expensive neighborhood

& to that i say: so what?

it shouldn't hinder coach P from building a high-quality product on the field, being in a BCS league isn't a guarantee of anything, there are plenty of middling fb programs filling out BCS conference rosters.

& i'm w/ 97, that if this new BE is so bad, i suppose the expectation is that the Huskies will simply walk-off w/ multiple championships in coming years, yes? well, let's see that happen...

Unfortunately, the reality is that College football is quickly becoming the haves and the have nots and if the current trend continues, UConn will be with the have-nots. The Big East is not going to be part of the new conference alignment. It can easily be seen that when all the dust settles in a few years there will be a new echelon of college football. If the conferences go to 16 teams each those 64ish teams will form the new college football world. The MACs, C-USA, Sun Belt, and Big East's of the world will be relagated to another level. Does this mean UConn needs to leave now, no but it needs to happen. Being n the ACC or B1G brings stability. So if people want to see UConn get to that stability, they have every right to say so.

I've loved watching this program grow but to assume it will continue to grow if UConn stands still and doesn't think beyond it's current situation is just dumb. The New Big East won't last another 5 years and if it does, it won't bring UConn anything. Recruits don't wanna play in a conference that doesn't get national attention. Say what you want about the ACC but because they get ESPN money, they get the national attention that recruits want. Money also is key and I'm very skeptical of the Big East getting a network pay day that will help keep this program competitive.

UConn is where it is. There's nothing that can be done right now. However, hoping to move to less shaky pastures is NOT a bad thing and something every UConn fan should be hoping for.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
UConn will be with the have-nots. The Big East is not going to be part of the new conference alignment. It can easily be seen that when all the dust settles in a few years there will be a new echelon of college football. If the conferences go to 16 teams each those 64ish teams will form the new college football world.

With all due respect, UCFBfan, I want to touch on your point above, because it's something that many on this board are talking about but the math doesn't add up to me. If we look at the other conferences going to 16:

ACC - 14 teams (would need 2 more)
Big12 - 10 teams (would need 6 more)
Big10 - 12 teams (would need 4 more)
SEC - 14 teams (would need 2 more)
Pac-12 - 12 teams (would need 4 more)

So therefore, 18 more teams will be swallowed up by the "haves" conferences. Are you saying that there would be 18 options better than UConn in that scenario??? Seriously?? I know I am a "homer", but there is no way in hell that there are 18 teams better than UConn in that scenario. And if you think there are, please list them so that I can see the error of my ways...
Otherwise, we make the best of our situation now, and when the "Great Apocalypse" happens, we will be sitting at a "bigger table" anyways......Go UConn!!![/quote]

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Dan,

Easy. I don't see the Big 12 lasting either. So now split that conference up and add those teams to the mix. I see UConn as being at the end of the remaining spots. So that leaves:

ACC - 2 spots
B1G - 4 spots
SEC - 2 spots
Pac-12 - 4 spots

That's 64 teams, like I said. So now you're looking at Texas, Oklahoma, OK St, Texas Tech, WVU, TCU, ND, Louisville, Cincy, UConn, Rutgers, Kansas, K-State, Iowa St, Baylor, USF, Boise St. That's 17 teams for 12 spots. Not sure how many of those teams UConn would beat out.

Now, if the Big 12 does survive and go to 16, sure UConn is fine. But there wouldn't be enough incentive for all of that. If they wanted to split the money in less ways and make it elitist, then the Big 12 goes and the remaining teams go in different directions.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
By the way, if the argument is that there will only be 4 "haves" conferences (64 teams) and not 5 "haves" conferences, then you are suggesting one of two things:

1) The conferences will keep current members without culling them out (i.e., Duke, Indiana, Wake, Washington State, Iowa State, Minnesota, etc.) and add a couple of teams presumably from a cannibalized ACC, leaving the rest of the ACC in the cold? If that's the case, why does it matter if we "begharder" and get into the ACC now?

2) The conferences will cull out their "runts" (see the aforementioned list with a couple of other names) and add as much quality as they can from outside the conference. If that is the case, why does it matter if we "begharder" and get into the ACC now?

I just need some assistance figuring out the logic behind the "begharder" movement....

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
For now, the big east is the only conference in the country, that can lay legitimate claim to the broadcasting region that is the northeast corridor from D.C. to Boston. In both football and basketball. We are also tied to Notre Dame.

And that folks - in this intercollegiate world we live in now, whatever organization holds those claims, is the one that I want to be part of, until there is a playoff system to determine a true national champ among conference winners in 1-A football, becuase until there is, this chaos in conference shifiting is only going to continue to get more and more shifty.

That's it. Had enough for today.
When UConn and Rutgers join the ACC, they should get rid of Atlantic/Coastal and have North/South. We'd be with RU, Pitt, Cuse, BC, Maryland, UVA and either VT or Miami (which is full of ex-New Yorkers) How's that for Northeastern (slash midatlantic) football? On the whole, football, markets, TV money, all sports competition, academics, intangibles, would UConn really turn that down for Navy, UCF, SMU, Temple, etc? Maybe Jim Calhoun would prefer to keep Louisville, Georgetown and Nova for bball over UNC/Duke, but it's not a bball only decision.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Dan,

Easy. I don't see the Big 12 lasting either. So now split that conference up and add those teams to the mix. I see UConn as being at the end of the remaining spots. So that leaves:

ACC - 2 spots
B1G - 4 spots
SEC - 2 spots
Pac-12 - 4 spots

That's 64 teams, like I said. So now you're looking at Texas, Oklahoma, OK St, Texas Tech, WVU, TCU, ND, Louisville, Cincy, UConn, Rutgers, Kansas, K-State, Iowa St, Baylor, USF, Boise St. That's 17 teams for 12 spots. Not sure how many of those teams UConn would beat out.

Now, if the Big 12 does survive and go to 16, sure UConn is fine. But there wouldn't be enough incentive for all of that. If they wanted to split the money in less ways and make it elitist, then the Big 12 goes and the remaining teams go in different directions.

Sorry, my post below this comment was being typed as you typed yours. So you are saying to me that with the additions of WVU and TCU (and possibly Louisville if you believe most reports on it), you believe that the Big12 will be less stable than the ACC?? Even if you are correct, take what I typed in the last message and flip it. Either we are considered part of the "haves" or "have nots" in the apocalyptic scenario, and that will not hinge on our being in the ACC at the time of the Great Reckoning. It will hinge on things like bowl games, good fan support, and good results on the field. All are possible (perhaps even more possible) in the New Big East until said time comes...

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I agree and I like adding a northeastern team. Their football is on the rise and I think their sophomore QB last year was very impressive and they have a very nice RB that will replace their Nfl back (forget his name). People forget about basketball and they have a very nice bball program Adding SDSU,Memphis, and know Temple to the BE means the BE doesn't really lose a step in hoops.
I was being 100% sarcastic, but that's ok. :)

Reaction Score
When UConn and Rutgers join the ACC, they should get rid of Atlantic/Coastal and have North/South. We'd be with RU, Pitt, Cuse, BC, Maryland, UVA and either VT or Miami (which is full of ex-New Yorkers) How's that for Northeastern (slash midatlantic) football? On the whole, football, markets, TV money, all sports competition, academics, intangibles, would UConn really turn that down for Navy, UCF, SMU, Temple, etc? Maybe Jim Calhoun would prefer to keep Louisville, Georgetown and Nova for bball over UNC/Duke, but it's not a bball only decision.
I hope that we NEVER join the ACC. I am happy with the situation as is. The ACC will just bring us down down down!!!!!!

We did not go through all this trouble to leave. We are in it for the long haul.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If it makes people feel any better (and it won't), we are likely replacing the West Virginia game with Temple......Florida State is replacing the West Virginia game with Savannah State.....ouch! How's that for ticket purchase regret...

And as someone who lives in the Florida panhandle, the FSU fans are none too happy.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Irish Loop, you nailed it. Amazing post.

The only thing UConn can realistically control is beating who's on our schedule and as fans all we can control is supporting the team and going to the games.

That doesn't mean we can't complain or be upset with our current situation, but what can we do about it?

I won't lie this post got me pumped up. Just win, baby.

Reaction Score
Just when you think it cant get any less compelling. The BE is a laughable football product and UConn Football will suffer as a result. The attendance is going to take a major hit. There is very little to be excited about in this tier 2 conference and even less so given there are no real rivalries. For those Herbst fans out there, this whole process demonstrates maximum ineptitude. Seriously considering whether renewing is worth the time or money with a program destined for nothing special in a glorified MAC like conference. I can't be the only person incredibly pissed off.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

This more than anything else is why BCU, SU, Uconn, PSU, Rutger's, Pitt and WVU aren't all in the same conference. There isn't a large enough critical mass of people around here who gives a rats patootey about college football to make sure all these team play each other.

Laugh all you want at anecdotes of brides-to-be checking football schedules before announcing wedding dates but that's a reality down south. You literally couldn't pay Auburn enough money to join a conference that meant not playing Bama annually. Down here it really is a foe of my enemy is a friend of mine mentality. Hatfield vs. McCoy. Damn near half of a schools' fanbases' identity is their rival. That doesn't exist up here.

Literally, the only rivalry north of the Mason/Dixon line that is absolute is Michigan/OSU football. Everything else in college is negotiable.

Uconn is in a pro sports section of the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom