Temple to the Big East? | The Boneyard

Temple to the Big East?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, I was against propping up another program to BCS levels in UConn's backyard, but at this point WTF. The Big East needs bodies ASAP. BCS autobids appear to be going the way of the dodo bird soon. If that happens we need teams with a more geographical fit than Boise and San Diego State.

Reaction Score
This is a major bummer if they are WVU's replacement next year. The Big East is negotiating with Boise (or so we assume), maybe this is their leverage.

Dobbs ends up in the Big East after all, just for the wrong team.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
They are rumored to be the replacement for Louisville and thought they had the Memphis slot sewn up.

They attended the MWC-CUSA merger talks but the BE decision was holding them back as well as the MWC CUSA looking at a good chunk of A-10 basketball to go to 24 teams in basketball

Reaction Score
will be VERY disappointed if Temple is replacement for WVU this year. Boise or a BCS team.
guess BE needs the bodies, but also not looking forward to watching Addazio on other sideline once a year either
C'mon ND makeup ur mind

Reaction Score
If this comes to fruition, I will laugh in the face of anybody who claims the league gives a rat's ass about football just because they put up some silly billboards in Times Square.

And I thought Memphis was ridiculous.....

Reaction Score
I think Temple football is on the rise. Al Golden did a good job re building and Adazzio is doig a good job maintaining and improving. A lot of improvements are being made to the facilities and program.
Football wise they are doing pretty good and have won some good games and been close with other so called "powerhouse" teams ie. Penn State. They also play at the LIncoln Financial Center.
I will also say they had a good year recruiting wise this year in PA. As I said in an earlier post PA is wide open right now with the Penn State and Pitt mess.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Temple is higher on my list than Memphis, primarily for northeastern regionalism / market (Yeah I know, I know, only a tiny fraction of eyeballs in Philly will actually tune in, but still). There's just no great options out there, the best we can do is a drivable road game and probably a better football product than Memphis, so... *shrug*

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Whatever. At this point the only thing UConn can control is winning their games. If the conference isn't quite as good as it used to be (I would argue adding Boise and Houston while losing WVU/Pitt/Cuse is a net positive for football though), UConn can still win 10 games and get national recognition. The goal is still the same and the results will largely be the same. The BCS might not even exist by the time realignment finally finishes.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Come on guys, this locks up the Philly market. Huge power move.

Reaction Score
Temple, I'll wait for the official announcements.

But if so, yet again, another sign that the conference leadership on top, and down through the universities, is finally understanding. I wrote as recently as last week that I didn't believe that Temple would ever be on board as long as Father Donohue is in charge at Villanova, and it appears that there hasn't been any change at Villanova, yet the reports that Temple may be in, seem legit on the surface.

Just have to win games. When the conference members had the wins, and the national champion contenders regularly, and a winner, they did every possible thing to let it fall apart. Now they're doing the right things, but we'll all need to go out and get the wins.

Villanova, at some point, is going to regret failing to commit to the upgrade to 1-A, that's been on the table now since 1997.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
But if so, yet again, another sign that the conference leadership on top, and down through the universities, is finally understanding.

SMH

Seriously, stop talking.

Reaction Score
SMH

Seriously, stop talking.

He's right. The league finally appears to recognize that top priority is to add the best football teams it can from a performance and market standpoint. The unfortunate thing is that the long delay in coming to that realization means we've lost some more attractive programs and the potential new members aren't that exciting.

Reaction Score
My first reaction to this development, if true, is a resounding "YUCH." The additions of Memphis and Temple clearly make the conference weaker if you are measuring the average performance of all the teams in the conference. (OF course, while computers do this, talking heads seem only to care about the strongest teams anyway.)

Having said that, you have to assume that every membership decision being made at the moment is being made because the Big East's media advisors, whomever they are, are telling the conference to do this because it increases per capital TV revenues. And, for the most part, that is, at the moment, and should be, the primary goal of the conference (as opposed to the primary goal of Rutgers, UConn and LV, which is to get the heck out of Dodge.)

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Sounds like they wasted $500,000 on billboards for no reason. Which, God Bless Phil Knight, is his prerogative.

Reaction Score
My first reaction to this development, if true, is a resounding "YUCH." The additions of Memphis and Temple clearly make the conference weaker if you are measuring the average performance of all the teams in the conference. (OF course, while computers do this, talking heads seem only to care about the strongest teams anyway.)

Having said that, you have to assume that every membership decision being made at the moment is being made because the Big East's media advisors, whomever they are, are telling the conference to do this because it increases per capital TV revenues. And, for the most part, that is, at the moment, and should be, the primary goal of the conference (as opposed to the primary goal of Rutgers, UConn and LV, which is to get the heck out of Dodge.)

Memphis & Temple.

vs.

Marquette & DePaul.

That's all I need to say, but I won't stop there of course. Memphis and Temple don't hurt the basketball conference one bit, they will help the basketball side. They also compete in division 1-A football. Once again, there's more than enough evidence to show that the Big EAst has a track record of bringing 1-A programs to national relevance. No reason to think that Memphis and Temple won't have the same opportunities.

On the eastern seaboard. UConn, Rutgers, Temple, Navy. Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, Villanova, Georgetown.

I'll go right out and say that UConn and Providence together have a greater new england market share in football and basketball, than boston college.

That's Boston to D.C., via Manhattan, in football and basketball.

Add in Notre Dame?
No other conference in the country has the television power that the Big East has. With priorities in line, this thing can be very powerful, as the SEC commissioner in the 1990's predicted and was fearful of.

Reaction Score
Whatever. At this point the only thing UConn can control is winning their games. If the conference isn't quite as good as it used to be (I would argue adding Boise and Houston while losing WVU/Pitt/Cuse is a net positive for football though), UConn can still win 10 games and get national recognition. The goal is still the same and the results will largely be the same. The BCS might not even exist by the time realignment finally finishes.

And you would lose that argument. Just what the NE needs: Another BCS mouth to feed.

Reaction Score
Get.....us.....out.....now.....

Scary thing is, if Temple did join for 2012, they'd have just as good a shot of winning the BE as anybody not named Louisville. I put Louisville as a slight favorite to win the league, followed closely by any one of UConn, RU, USF, UC, Pitt (all in no particular order), and then Cuse as not having any chance what-so-ever. You could easily lump Temple into that middle 5.

But as I started to say.....Get.....us.....out.....now.....

Reaction Score
Sounds like they wasted $500,000 on billboards for no reason. Which, God Bless Phil Knight, is his prerogative.

Figures I'd get that kind of response. Oh well. I try. Lead a camel to water, but can't make em drink.

The big east conference leadership, and their response to this situation, with Oregon bill boards being paid for by Nike across the street from Madison Square Garden, and advertising Harrington for the Heisman, while Miami and Nebraska are playing for the national title, and Crouch actually wins the trophy...and Miami wins the title, and the which is announced, well hell - every heard of the Heisman Trust of NEW YORK CITY!????

Big East media day lasts 3 hours and is held at the stadium in East Rutherford, new JERSEY?

Yeah, but I don't make any sense with all of this, do I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom