Temple to the Big East? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Temple to the Big East?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Boise wasn't happening. Just too much money. Of course it was a better alternative, just wasn't going to happen. It would cost the Big East way too much money. The BE football conference doesn't carry the same prestige as other conferences. It isn't as attractive an option for other programs that are consistently in the top 25. Quite frankly who would want to come to the Big East? We aren't in the negotiating room. We don't have any insider information. Who knows what kind of leverage if any either side had, but they definitely play a part. They weren't dealt a bad hand, and they aren't responsible for it either.
If the BE wanted Boise in this year, they'd be in this year. That's the problem. The B12 all pitched in to help get WVU in, the BE has approx $20 millions to spend. I'm now speculating, but I would bet it was discussed, and the likes of PC, SH, SJU, GTown, Nova, Marq, and DePaul felt we could wait a year.

I'm tired of people posting "well what else could the BE offices have done, realistically. it is what it is". The BE could have made a lot of different decisions over the last 7 years to solidify this league. They could have added 2 more FB schools instead of DePaul and Marquette. Shoot, Memphis w actually a decent FB team back in those days. The BE could have funded Boise's early exit from the B12 settlement, the BE offices could have listened to the FB schools instead of trying to force Nova down their throats.

This isn't all on Marinatto. the Prez's and AD's are accountable too. But, JM's job is to find consensus, common ground, and getting peoplemtomunderstand the broader impacted certain decision/non-decisions, and he has failed at that. This is why SyraPitt and WVU (who also have some accountability here) are gone, and why Louisville has their bags packed ready to go, and why UConn, RU, Cinci, and USF are all making calls, and waiting for those calls to be returned.

Ya, it is what it is alright, and what it is - is crap. I will buy tickets, I will go to the games, and I will pull for whoever our conference-mates are to win their OOC games, doesn't mean I am happy with it or like it at all.

Reaction Score
Say what you will, but I'm getting excited to travel to Memphis, Orlando, Houston, Dallas, Boise, and San Diego. It may not be The Big 10, but it will make for some outstanding road trips.

Reaction Score
Say what you will, but I'm getting excited to travel to Memphis, Orlando, Houston, Dallas, Boise, and San Diego. It may not be The Big 10, but it will make for some outstanding road trips.

don't forget Annapolis. i think if you look at this from a fan's point of view, instead of an ad executives, it should be an exciting time. we traded trips to play some old-timer dinosaurs in the gray hinterlands of Syracuse and Pittsburgh with trips to Memphis, Orlando, and Houston to see some teams we haven't played before. Houston, Boise and SDSU play an exciting style of football we haven't seen a lot of in the Big East. the Big East has been a stodgy, old style, nose in the dirt type of conference and now we'll have some innovators similar to when Petrino and RRod were here. it'll be fun to play against SMU with Jones there, and that's a situation where a highly sought after coach chose to go to a non BCS school, so maybe he'll stay a while. and in the meantime we've traded the TV regions Pittsburgh and Syracuse for Houston, Memphis, etc.

Reaction Score
don't forget Annapolis. i think if you look at this from a fan's point of view, instead of an ad executives, it should be an exciting time. we traded trips to play some old-timer dinosaurs in the gray hinterlands of Syracuse and Pittsburgh with trips to Memphis, Orlando, and Houston to see some teams we haven't played before. Houston, Boise and SDSU play an exciting style of football we haven't seen a lot of in the Big East. the Big East has been a stodgy, old style, nose in the dirt type of conference and now we'll have some innovators similar to when Petrino and RRod were here. it'll be fun to play against SMU with Jones there, and that's a situation where a highly sought after coach chose to go to a non BCS school, so maybe he'll stay a while. and in the meantime we've traded the TV regions Pittsburgh and Syracuse for Houston, Memphis, etc.

LOL hope you have lots of vacation time and $$$ for airfare. You lost three drivable games for a mishmash of schools. Sure it is fun to fly to Orlando or San Diego but do you really see any of these schools are long term rivals? So who is going to be your new big BB rival? Rutgers, Houston, UCF Yeah those schools sure are powerhouses.

At least you'll have Temple and their exciting game day atmosphere for a drivable game.

Reaction Score
duck Saracuse and their fans.

And I say that knowing that TexanMark is generally a good poster with a nice tailgating website. But if you're going to come here and talk about the situation we are stuck in, that your university helped create, then go kick rocks.

Reaction Score

And I say that knowing that TexanMark is generally a good poster with a nice tailgating website. But if you're going to come here and talk about the situation we are stuck in, that your university helped create, then go kick rocks.

Plus 1000. And that post is very unlike Texas Mark. Did he have to spend the week in Syracuse or something?

Reaction Score

I know Matt is trying to make lemonade outta of lemons...but it is what it is. Bottomline: UConn will survive. Your school and fanbase are too strong to be left in the lurch too long.

Reaction Score
LOL hope you have lots of vacation time and $$$ for airfare. You lost three drivable games for a mishmash of schools. Sure it is fun to fly to Orlando or San Diego but do you really see any of these schools are long term rivals? So who is going to be your new big BB rival? Rutgers, Houston, UCF Yeah those schools sure are powerhouses.

At least you'll have Temple and their exciting game day atmosphere for a drivable game.

Been to BCU lately? Have fun.

Douchey post.

Reaction Score
I know Matt is trying to make lemonade outta of lemons...but it is what it is. Bottomline: UConn will survive. Your school and fanbase are too strong to be left in the lurch too long.

Keep your pep talk and go pound sand. duck Saracuse, always and forever.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
TexanMark: thank you for your interest in Connecticut Athletics.

Now please pick up your things and go; they're in the box To The Left...

Reaction Score
Just when you think it cant get any less compelling. The BE is a laughable football product and UConn Football will suffer as a result. The attendance is going to take a major hit. There is very little to be excited about in this tier 2 conference and even less so given there are no real rivalries. For those Herbst fans out there, this whole process demonstrates maximum ineptitude. Seriously considering whether renewing is worth the time or money with a program destined for nothing special in a glorified MAC like conference. I can't be the only person incredibly pissed off.

Right. Because somehow the beer won't taste good in the parking lot. It will matter for a small number of purists that care more about football than they do about UCONN or tailgating. But it won't be meaningful. As long as P rights the ship and we win at home it will be fine.

Reaction Score

long term rivals? i don't really consider the Big East to be our long term solution, but i'm looking forward to playing some different teams over the next 4-5 years.

for the record i'm lucky if i can travel to one game a year much less all of these, but if you're going to call Pitt or WVU driving distance, than Annapolis and Temple are driving distance, and i actually did drive from NJ to Memphis once, so i'll include it on a technicality. Houston and UCF may not be powerhouses, but they're hands down better than Pitt and Cuse in football. it sucks losing WVU, but it's not the worst thing to lose our two bottom feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom