Temple headed for ACC? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Temple headed for ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nicky.......Not that I doubt you, but you know that there is a difference in being a "bookie" and writing books?
Even though you're a "southern guy" and I'm yankee through and through I feel we have a lot in common ha ha! I love the way you see things then express it..honestly! I think if you don't write...you should ? Good luck against Auburn!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The whole Temple to the ACC thing was started by a sore Rutgers fan trying to troll. Nothing more. UCONN will be in the PAC-12 before Temple gets into the ACC.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How in the hell is this thread still going, and still sitting at the top of the CR board? This is a new low folks. Maybe I'll start a thread about Alaska-Fairbanks going to the SEC. Can we at least focus on things that are within the realm of possibility?

Reaction Score
I don't see Temple going to the ACC anytime soon. The only reason that the ACC might want them is to get the Philly TV market, but it's questionable the Temple can deliver. Philly is an overwhelmingly Pro sports town. There is occasionally buzz for Big-5 basketball (City-6 if you count Drexel) but the buzz is for all the city college teams, not just Temple. There is virtually no buzz for Temple football. Penn St. probably ranks ahead of Temple when it comes to Philly college football interest. If Temple starts winning I suspect that interest will increase, but that will take time.

Agreed. Temple has no shot at ever getting into the ACC. They would not deliever Philadelphia in any way, shape, form, or fashion. UConn IS the absolute best choice for No 16.

Reaction Score
We were actually the best choice for No. 13, but fair enough, we accept your invitation as No. 16.

Absolutely right, you were the choice for No 13 by Tobacco Road, UVA, and, UMD.

If it were up to me, you'd have the invite tomorrow, and, be here this coming fall.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
We'll take whoever calls first, even the Big 12.

Reaction Score
How long can WVU be competitive as an island in the east?

It would seem to me that the Big 12 has the most incentive to expand....add an eastern pod of four....pick up UConn, Cincinnati, UCF, USF...or the like...to make 14.

Reaction Score

It would seem to me that the Big 12 has the most incentive to expand....add an eastern pod of four....pick up UConn, Cincinnati, UCF, USF...or the like...to make 14.

Agreed and they need a conference championship game to appeal to the playoff committee.

IMO the big question is if they add 2 or 4. If it's 2, I can't see them splitting up the Florida schools. They'd just end up with another island...making 11 & 12 UCF and USF. If 14, the next logical move is someone nearby WVU...making 13. Cincinnati.

It's tough to figure out who they would bring in at 14. The best available non P5 school is easily UCONN, but is there any chance they would want to extend the footprint that far?

pj

Reaction Score

That would strengthen the Big 12 ... until Texas and Oklahoma left for the B1G or SEC. A cross-country goulash that would be less stable than the Big East.

Reaction Score
That would strengthen the Big 12 ... until Texas and Oklahoma left for the B1G or SEC. A cross-country goulash that would be less stable than the Big East.

This year's playoff reps would've been ACC, SEC x2, and the B1G. The Big 12 may need these 2/4 teams from somewhere or risk being one of the "First Four Out" year in and out. That means extending their footprint due to lack of available local options.

Reaction Score
How in the hell is this thread still going, and still sitting at the top of the CR board? This is a new low folks. Maybe I'll start a thread about Alaska-Fairbanks going to the SEC. Can we at least focus on things that are within the realm of possibility?

90% of this forum used to say that hell would freeze over before RU were selected to join the BigTen. And yes, I'm not kidding!

Reaction Score
This year's playoff reps would've been ACC, SEC x2, and the B1G. The Big 12 may need these 2/4 teams from somewhere or risk being one of the "First Four Out" year in and out. That means extending their footprint due to lack of available local options.

It certainly will be interesting to watch the conference commissioners, school ADs and even coaches from the 5 power conferences fall all over each other to lobby for their teams to be included in the playoff. It may be that there are 4 obvious entrants; however, I suspect the more likely scenario is that year after year representatives for each of the 5 conference champions will press their case that they are deserving - Notre Dame at times too - which will just lead to continued controversy about the system similar to the BCS. I think the lack of a CCG may adversely affect the Big 12 at times during the selection process and could be an impetus for them to expand. However, even if the Big 12 does expand to get a CCG, the issue still remains that you will have at least the 5 conference champions- Notre Dame at times too - vying for 4 slots year after year. It is difficult to envision this lasting for too long. Every conference is going to want at least their conference champion to get a shot at the NC. I suspect the playoff expands to 8 entrants - 5 conference champions plus 3 at large - sooner rather than later which may make the need for the Big 12 to have a CCG a nonfactor. The more intriguing possibility I wander about would be, if there is resistance to expand from a 4 team to an 8 team playoff, could that provoke a consolidation from 5 to 4 power conferences, push Notre Dame into the ACC, create openings for a UConn et al. in order to get to the oft mentioned 4 conferences with 16 teams model so the 4 team playoff always consists of the 4 conference champions.

pj

Reaction Score
90% of this forum used to say that hell would freeze over before RU were selected to join the BigTen. And yes, I'm not kidding!

Those same folks were saying the same about UConn to the B1G. People like me thought both Rutgers and UConn would join the B1G, because we bring such large population areas to the BTN. Changing business model = changing criteria for attractiveness.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

They aren't competitive now. If they lose their first three games next year (and at a glance only Maryland is winnable) that would be a 5-17 run against FBS teams.

pj

Reaction Score

What the B12 needs may be impossible to obtain. The B12's big advantage to Texas is it is a local conference with easy travel that they dominate. Once the conference is geographically sprawling and Texas's influence is diluted, they might as well be in a more lucrative conference that is stronger in football. Add Texas/Oklahoma/Kansas/UConn to the B1G and split in two divisions and the western B1G is similar to the B12 in its heyday -- Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, among others. Far superior to the diluted B12.

Reaction Score
If the Big12 were stable I think UCONN would already be in the ACC or BiG. It's not, and I think the Pack5 conferences are seeing which of those big kahoonas in the Big12 becomes available before making any moves. Just my sense.......

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'ld be willing to bet that the percentage of this board that think you are a complete is well above 90%......

No need to worry about Flood anymore (I think). If I understood Nan's post correctly, he is gone from the BY...

Reaction Score

I don't think that's true. The rumors were always there, as inexplicable and unjustifiable as they may have seemed.

This board was 100% certain, however, that Rutgers would never, ever, ever win the Big East in football, however (and we were right).

Reaction Score
I'd love for UCONN to be in a conference with UVA and the Carolina schools. It's the rest of those jabroni's from the ACC that UCONN fans want nothing to do with. For me it's B1G or bust.

It was a damn shame that those of us already here could not have come to an agreement that would've brought UConn onboard. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I still think Swofford hasn't given up on getting you all in.

Call it unfounded optimism, or, naievete (sp?), but, thats just me. :)

Reaction Score
It was a damn shame that those of us already here could not have come to an agreement that would've brought UConn onboard. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I still think Swofford hasn't given up on getting you all in.

Call it unfounded optimism, or, naievete (sp?), but, thats just me. :)
There's no reason for him to give up. Delany is going to have to deal with perception issues, too. Someone is going to add us.

Unless UConn can magically form a new conference that would include the traditional powers of the northeast and mid-Atlantic. Rutgers is not nor has ever been a power in anything. The ACC does fit the best, from a demographics point of view. I am not normally one who holds grudges.

Do have to wonder who the SEC will add.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member