Temple headed for ACC? | The Boneyard

Temple headed for ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Copy and paste from the Pitt Rivals board....I can't link that forum here for some reason.

I was literally just told this by a coach. The school just cut 7 sports and apparently is going all in on football and basketball.
They're anticipating an eventual split between the haves and have-nots and want a seat at the big boy table while they still have the chance. They're even maneuvering to build a stadium, as discussed earlier, which I find shocking and maybe a little overly ambitious considering the strained relations between the school and the longtime locals in the neighborhood.

A little too late if you ask me. They didn't pony up to keep either of their last two successful coaches, and now they're panicking, cutting successful sports, and throwing money at a problem they actually could've avoided had they reached this obvious conclusion in a more timely manner.

Reaction Score
I find it confounding that a low-level in excellence school like Rutgers got rewarded in Conference Realignment ... and UConn, with established NCs and success throughout our Program, isn't in the P5. Temple? They've been more successful than RU ... imho.

Something is wrong.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
The thread exists...and the claim is made by a guy with 10k+ posts, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. This certainly isn't worth a horribly titled thread.

Reaction Score
Tell us something we don't know. Temple would like a conference upgrade? Shocking. The same could be said for every team in the AAC.

Might as well have started a thread telling us the sun is hot or Rutgers sucks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wish Temple (and Cincy) all the best in getting into the ACC the minute UConn gets into the B1G...

Reaction Score
Hypothetical question........Rutgers and BC play a basketball game.....does anyone attend?

Better question - Does a basketball school get picked to go to the Big 10 or ACC during realignment when football is what matters? I guess time will tell but it will likely be a while!

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Better question - Does a basketball school get picked to go to the Big 10 or ACC during realignment when football is what matters? I guess time will tell but it will likely be a while!

As a Big10 fan, I can say that BB is important to the picture, especially for the conference networks. The need for quality content is greater now than ever before. The Big10 pushed the hockey conference on it's members (Minnesota balked) to have more live content that people cared about. Lacrosse was started to give an option during the spring sports season and I will assume that baseball and soccer will be pushed as well.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As a Big10 fan, I can say that BB is important to the picture, especially for the conference networks. The need for quality content is greater now than ever before. The Big10 pushed the hockey conference on it's members (Minnesota balked) to have more live content that people cared about. Lacrosse was started to give an option during the spring sports season and I will assume that baseball and soccer will be pushed as well.

Based on the last three new additions to the Big 10, quality basketball ranks behind access to corn and high end gobagool.

Reaction Score
Sometimes I forget that PITT left the conference. Didn't make much of an impression on me I guess!

Reaction Score
Also, Coach Flood:

Didn't you say you were done posting here after we beat you in football? Now you posting drivel from a PITT board? What do you do when you're not dicking around on other school's message boards?

dayooper

Reaction Score
Based on the last three new additions to the Big 10, quality basketball ranks behind access to corn and high end gobagool.

It all comes down to money. Each of the three recent additions, theoretically, bring in money (football brand and market). Basketball can bring in money as well. IIRC, The BTN brings in more money from advertisements than in does subscriber fees. Placing a national brand such as UConn in the B10 can really help with advertising dollars.

IMO, the targets for the B10 include Kansas (I think they go to 20 as an end game). With 2 King programs (Kansas and Indiana) along with several "prince" programs like UConn, Michigan State and Ohio State, the ad money would be tremendous. Throw in solid programs like Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Maryland, there are great games every week. Advertisers love big games.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It all comes down to money. Each of the three recent additions, theoretically, bring in money (football brand and market). Basketball can bring in money as well. IIRC, The BTN brings in more money from advertisements than in does subscriber fees. Placing a national brand such as UConn in the B10 can really help with advertising dollars.

IMO, the targets for the B10 include Kansas (I think they go to 20 as an end game). With 2 King programs (Kansas and Indiana) along with several "prince" programs like UConn, Michigan State and Ohio State, the ad money would be tremendous. Throw in solid programs like Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Maryland, there are great games every week. Advertisers love big games.

I'd love to see documentation that shows the BTN collects more revenue on advertising than fees because quite frankly that seems impossible.

Reaction Score
The B1G needs to realize soon that expansion to include quality basketball teams is critical for the athletic success of the conference. I spent the weekend watching present and future B1G teams in their bowl games ... WTF :eek:

I think this tweet from Stewart Mandel sums up the predicament for the B1G as it relates to football "Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel20h Current and future #B1G members 0-4 to start bowl season with Stanford, Clemson and three ranked SEC teams still to come."

It pains me to admit it but the B1G has a serious football problem and it is more likely that invites for the 4 team playoff will go to SEC, ACC, Big 12 and PAC teams starting next year if B1G football teams continue to choke on the national stage. Perhaps a couple of our teams like OSU and MSU may be able to play their way in here and there but it will be difficult to do it on a consistent basis given the strength of schedule and national perception.

Basketball is an entirely different story. If the B1G is willing to use their financial resources, more money than God I believe Gee said, to go after Kansas and then drop the AAU obsession and get Uconn, then holy s&!t that will be a great basketball conference that can compete with anyone and strengthen the athletic success of the conference.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Temple is a good choice for the ACC when UConn is in the B1G.
It's actually their only choice.

Reaction Score
Georgetown without football would be a better choice, no? 16 hoops schools, 14 football schools since ND won't likely join a conference.
Temple is a hideous choice academically and athletically compared to UConn. But there is no threat to Cuse or BC when it comes to Temple, so it does make sense that Temple would get the nod.

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
(Temple fan delurking.)

Temple needs a lot of chaos in the leagues above the ACC to get into the ACC. It's a nice goal to have, and the ACC is the only league in the Cartel leagues that could possibly take Temple, but the ACC GOR needs to be broken open for it to happen, with multiple defections to the B1G and SEC. But improving the program so it can be swapped into an ACC spot when the time comes is absolutely the right thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom