Temple headed for ACC? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Temple headed for ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There's no reason for him to give up. Delany is going to have to deal with perception issues, too. Someone is going to add us.

Unless UConn can magically form a new conference that would include the traditional powers of the northeast and mid-Atlantic. Rutgers is not nor has ever been a power in anything. The ACC does fit the best, from a demographics point of view. I am not normally one who holds grudges.

Do have to wonder who the SEC will add.

The SEC, B1G, and PAC will add the leftover high profile programs (UConn, BYU, Cincinnati, etc.) and couple of schools in major markets (UNLV, San Diego St, Central Florida, SMU, Houston, etc.) once the P5 reduces to the P4 after either the ACC or XII (my bet) implodes and those schools are dispersed.

Reaction Score
There's no reason for him to give up. Delany is going to have to deal with perception issues, too. Someone is going to add us.

That is very true. But, the B1G's issues are far less that what the ACC's are. The realignment nonsense from summer 2012 left the ACC perceived as weakened. Even after the school approved the GOR, and, the Orange Bowl agreement was finalised, that perception remained.

Unless UConn can magically form a new conference that would include the traditional powers of the northeast and mid-Atlantic.

Just from an outsider's POV, not bringing Penn State into the original Big East was a horrible mistake. That Big East Conference would have been one of the most stable leagues around. There would've never been the FB v BB H2H battles for control of the league's future, like what would eventually evolve.

Rutgers is not nor has ever been a power in anything.

Maybe not, but, for the B1G's stated purpose (new markets for the BTN), its in a prime location. Thats not debatable (sp?).

The ACC does fit the best, from a demographics point of view. I am not normally one who holds grudges.

Neither does Swofford, but, some here in ACC country do. Which is why things played out like they did.

Do have to wonder who the SEC will add.

Unless the ACC collapses, which I do not foresee in the near future, the SEC will likely have to look west. Its well known that their commissioner, Mike Slive, wants UNC and UVA. The UVA Board of Visitors will NEVER allow their school to join the SEC. That is set in stone, IMHO. No way they'd join. UNC is another story. The vast majority of the fanbase want the SEC. The administration and large part of the faculty would want the B1G. You want to talk about a war for UNC's future? You'd see one in Chapel Hill.

Reaction Score
The SEC, B1G, and PAC will add the leftover high profile programs (UConn, BYU, Cincinnati, etc.) and couple of schools in major markets (UNLV, San Diego St, Central Florida, SMU, Houston, etc.) once the P5 reduces to the P4 after either the ACC or XII (my bet) implodes and those schools are dispersed.

If the Big 12 does implode, Texas might decide to go independent. They could pull it off. Setting up a national schedule would be no problem for them. Up to half of their schedule would/could be Texas schools. They could play ND annually. Thats a game the majority of CFB fans would enjoy. I know I would.

Oklahoma (FB) and Kansas (BB) would be desireable to maybe the SEC or the B1G. The rest of the B12 would be in a tough spot. Oklahoma State might be able to force whomever takes OU to take them, too. I do not think Kansas State has that same political clout within their home state.

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 does implode, Texas might decide to go independent. They could pull it off. Setting up a national schedule would be no problem for them. Up to half of their schedule would/could be Texas schools. They could play ND annually. Thats a game the majority of CFB fans would enjoy. I know I would.

Oklahoma (FB) and Kansas (BB) would be desireable to maybe the SEC or the B1G. The rest of the B12 would be in a tough spot. Oklahoma State might be able to force whomever takes OU to take them, too. I do not think Kansas State has that same political clout within their home state.

The B1G would love to get Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas (hopefully adding UConn as team #18) out of the XII while the PAC would take Texas Tech and Oklahoma State as a package to get Texas and Oklahoma. Not sure if the SEC needs Texas right now as A&M is thriving in the SEC out from the shadow of it's big brother from Austin and I am not sure if the SEC would allow Texas to have special privileges like the PAC may allow because such arrangement would not go over well with the other, nearly same size football programs at LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Florida and Georgia.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
As much as I would like to see the college world burn, I suspect the grant of rights will keep the Big 12 together - there really is no motivation for anyone to leave.

I think the "leftover" schools in the Big 12 underplayed their hand and perhaps doomed themselves to an AAC purgatory down the road. They should have taken West Virginia, Louisville and Cincinnati when they had the chance.

But...they didn't.

And, so, in a decade or so when the top of the conference breaks off to form the new four-team Longhorn Conference, Iowa State and Kansas State and the like can look forward to waking up to "Sure nice to be pals with ya" posts from some random Memphis fan.

Reaction Score
btstimpy said:
I too am 100 percent pro-UConn, and would like to see UConn in the ACC some day, and UConn is the best choice IMO.
Wayyyyy OT, but how does bstimpy feel about the Wahoos losing Poindexter and Brown to UCONN?

Reaction Score
Wayyyyy OT, but how does bstimpy feel about the Wahoos losing Poindexter and Brown to UCONN?

It's a great opportunity for both of them. Bob Diaco was on the staff with Anthony Poindexter before he left to work for Brian Kelly. Brown was a Grad Assistant then. They did well when they were together in 2007.

Reaction Score
The B1G would love to get Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas (hopefully adding UConn as team #18) out of the XII while the PAC would take Texas Tech and Oklahoma State as a package to get Texas and Oklahoma. Not sure if the SEC needs Texas right now as A&M is thriving in the SEC out from the shadow of it's big brother from Austin and I am not sure if the SEC would allow Texas to have special privileges like the PAC may allow because such arrangement would not go over well with the other, nearly same size football programs at LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Florida and Georgia.

I do not know that any of those three could join the B1G, and, leave their fellow state schools...Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, and, Kansas State...without a solid place to land. About Texas, if Mike Slive knew he could get them into the SEC, he would make a way for that to happen, IMHO. And, they would have to walk the same line as the rest of the members. No exceptions.

The Pac-12 would take Texas Tech and Oklahoma State in order to land Texas and Oklahoma. The B1G would not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom