Temple game thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Temple game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Okay, with presumably the final substitutions made with an 18 point lead at 2:40, the obvious question has to be asked: is Saniya hurt or what? The 2nd obvious question: how amazing has Gabby become?
okay: at 1:20 final substitutes, including Courtney....but no Saniya!
Saniya played in the fist half. Her IT Band syndrome would make it hard for her to move laterally and guard the quick Temple players.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno's pretty chipper in the postgame interview. He rightfully gives Temple credit, chuckles about Morgan's tough day.

Reaction Score
Nice long post-game interview w/Geno:
"Gabby was phenomenal today"
"Someone is going to have to knock down outside shots"

Reaction Score
Geno in the post-game says he'll treat the girls to cheese steaks. Geno knows Philly! I miss Pat's!

Reaction Score
61 game win streak is the 4th longest men's or women's streak. So I guess it's the 3 UConn streaks and UCLA's?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Not Morgan's best game, not Kia's best. Yet, enough to win by 25. Even Superman occasionally burped. Give Temple credit. They worked their tails off and never backed down. For the Huskies, back to the drawing board on dribble penetration and protecting the ball.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'll say it again. Give Temple credit. Sure UCONN had an off day, but they played hard, got into passing lanes, and gave UCONN everything they could handle. We outscored them by 11 in the 4th, but it was still a 10 point game with 7 minutes to go in the game (actually 11 points to be exact). UCONN ran off a string of 10 straight points over a 4 1/2 minute time frame. Bottom line, Temple played inspired. Look at their balanced scoring.

I've been hard on Tonya in the past - saying that Staley was able to recruit and perform much better and that Tonya didn't seem to be leading them in the right direction. This season has completely changed my opinion of Tonya and Temple. She needs to start getting some top 100, and even more so, some top 50 kids, but I'm proud of her and her team...

I really believe at this point that Temple is a NCAA team and deserves to be in the big dance. I hope the rest of their season goes on to prove that and show the committee that they deserve to be there too. They have a tough schedule the rest of the year - Tulane is right behind them and they need to win that game. They play USF again, Memphis (no slouch) and a pretty bad UCF team. They need to at least go 3-1 and make the semi's of the American tourney to have a shot...

Reaction Score
Geno made a good point in the post game interview (duh!). Morgan seems to play better when she goes up against taller/slower players vs today, going up against smaller and quicker Temple players. Seems like a good observation.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'll say it again. Give Temple credit. Sure UCONN had an off day, but they played hard, got into passing lanes, and gave UCONN everything they could handle. We outscored them by 11 in the 4th, but it was still a 10 point game with 7 minutes to go in the game (actually 11 points to be exact). UCONN ran off a string of 10 straight points over a 4 1/2 minute time frame. Bottom line, Temple played inspired. Look at their balanced scoring.

I've been hard on Tonya in the past - saying that Staley was able to recruit and perform much better and that Tonya didn't seem to be leading them in the right direction. This season has completely changed my opinion of Tonya and Temple. She needs to start getting some top 100, and even more so, some top 50 kids, but I'm proud of her and her team...
I think that Temple may have turned the corner. They are very undersized, but Tonya does what she can with the kids she has. Certainly, they compete.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
61 game win streak is the 4th longest men's or women's streak. So I guess it's the 3 UConn streaks and UCLA's?
Right. The Bill Russell/K.C. Jones-led San Francisco men's team won 60 straight back in the 1950s. So the current UConn streak now stands alone in 4th place.

Reaction Score
UConn has so many weapons. This time, Stewie, Moriah and the gabbious Gabby.

Reaction Score
Moriah almost had a triple double. 25 points, 8 assists and 8 steals. Would love to see her get a T-D like that...

Can you spell "Liebermann Award Winner?" Again! Moriah is simply incredible; there is none better. Against a team built on speed, Moriah showed Temple her unique brand of unbelievable, absolutely next-level supersonic quickness. She's just amazing.

And not to forget Stewie's truly 'sick' statline: 24 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists, 4 steals, 6 blocks...Holy mackerel!

And Gabby's marvelous 19 points, 11 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals. She was the top rebounder in the SC game, and again today. While coming off the bench. Her game just gets better and better. Go, Gabby!

As for Morgan, everyone throws in a stinker now and then. She never grabbed at her knee brace, so in light of her fantastic, consistent season, I'm not worried a bit about her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not so sure about the off day notion. Stewie, Gabby and Mo - couldn't ask for better. Kia was what Kia too often times is and that's predictable with passes and careless with the ball. She needs to get a better and quicker feel for the game and the competition and it's not a one size fits all as far as approach - you need to temper it to the competition. KLS - glad to see her not settle for the three but she needs to stay out of foul trouble. Butler - those hands need to get stronger. Collier and Chong - tentative as all heck. Tuck - what are you going to do, the best of 'em lay and egg from time to time and when you play against an undersized opponent, well it's not like playing against a traditional 4 or 5.

Reaction Score
Don't you mean Geno's? :)
Maybe in Storrs. But in Philly, for cheese steaks, it's Pat's forever! Of course, in Norristown, it's Lou's on lower Main Street, which had pretty good steak sandwiches and great conversation (and part of ESPN's bio of Geno was filmed there). Then on to water ice down the street, and life was good in the summer.

Reaction Score
Not so sure about the off day notion. Stewie, Gabby and Mo - couldn't ask for better. Kia was what Kia too often times is and that's predictable with passes and careless with the ball. She needs to get a better and quicker feel for the game and the competition and it's not a one size fits all as far as approach - you need to temper it to the competition. KLS - glad to see her not settle for the three but she needs to stay out of foul trouble. Butler - those hands need to get stronger. Collier and Chong - tentative as all heck. Tuck - what are you going to do, the best of 'em lay and egg from time to time and when you play against an undersized opponent, well it's not like playing against a traditional 4 or 5.

2 of the fouls she was called for today were questionable at best.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
temple= best team we played this year

Well perhaps the best game of basketball played against us all year but not the best team on a consistent basis.
We've had other close games when we have played better ourselves so I'd say a few other teams have played decent games against us.
We don't often miss this many threes which could have changed the complexion of this game drastically.
Very happy that Tonya's girls played so hard and well.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

Foul trouble? Somebody was in foul trouble today? How can that be as they didn't call any.

Reaction Score
Nice long post-game interview w/Geno:
"Gabby was phenomenal today"
"Someone is going to have to knock down outside shots"

I think next year two big parts are
1-- I think it sooo important that KLS can hit 3's well. If she hits three's well- she opens the game up for Gabby on the inside along with Collier. Makes Nurse's driving better and ofc Dangerfield would also benefit. I think Dangerfield is going to be very, very good as a frosh because she'll have good support on the outside.

2-- Chong's health. She has to be able to be pretty good that we'll need scoring / outside shooting.

Overall KLS has to hit 3's. Has to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits