Team Summer Activity | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Team Summer Activity

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
buddy, we are more stacked this year. Those practices are going to be brutal. Man, it would be fun to press like the old Calhoun teams of old, considering the depth and athleticism we have. And if you try to slow us down, well....we also have the best offensive scheme in basketball. Yikes!
Hurley indicated in an interview he’s thinking of going 9 or 10 players deep this season and employing the press much more than we’ve been seeing.

That was his first impression based on who we have. He cautioned he wanted to observe the players. But logically we have several defensive dogs on this team to press full court. And enough depth to employ it.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
That has to be a quote taken out of context by the author, because it's the type of thing Hurley should say to every player as part of a lengthy end of season conversation.

I'm thrilled Diarra is back, but the quote sounds like Hurley was trying to hint Diarra out the door, which I doubt was the case.
I think you could easily interpret that as wanting him back in the same role. Or being able to accept a reduced role later in the season if certain(expected) players break out.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
From what I've seen and heard in interviews. He's a quiet dude. If you're a baller from Queens and play at UConn-You have to be confident or you'll get crushed by the next man up on your team. He'll be fine. Danny needs him to be more vocal this year as a leader -Like AK. Who is also a quiet dude as is Samson.
Well spoken and humble (which definitely could come across as “quite”). But he’s a hell of a competitor, insanely hard worker and has tons of confidence.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Hurley indicated in an interview he’s thinking of going 9 or 10 players deep this season and employing the press much more than we’ve been seeing.

That was his first impression based on who we have. He cautioned he wanted to observe the players. But logically we have several defensive dogs on this team to press full court. And enough depth to employ it.
Could definitely see that for this team. They have the athletes and guards to really get out and run this year. Might be one of the more fast paced teams Hurley has had.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I think you could easily interpret that as wanting him back in the same role. Or being able to accept a reduced role later in the season if certain(expected) players break out.

Telling a player he isn't expected to start next year, and may have an even smaller role is a polite way of saying goodbye. Hurley would be a fool to push a valuable 6th man out the door.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I read Hurley’s quote as just not guaranteeing starting spot but he’ll have to earn it.

Yep. That's why I think he was either misquoted or misspoke.

The actual quote seems even more stupid every time I read it.

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
true, but this time last year we were lamenting losing Ajax because of his defense....and then we all met Castle. I think Stewart will be a solid defender. Perhaps better than solid. I think Abraham will be solid. And I think that Aidan will be solid too. And we know that Hassan is super solid.
Good summary. I have a feeling that our defense next year is going to be an absolute nightmare for our opponents. Our depth will allow substitution to run other teams into the ground defensively just like our offense makes the opponent run all over the place. The word dread comes to mind. "You better get us now" Hmmmmmm.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Telling a player he isn't expected to start next year, and may have an even smaller role is a polite way of saying goodbye. Hurley would be a fool to push a valuable 6th man out the door.
I must’ve missed the part where he said “smaller role.” I think your interpretation of that quote is way too aggressive. You don’t think Hurley would love Diarra back as the 6th man, if he accepts it?

Reaction Score
That quote was about a week after the Natty. To me it sounds generic. He's talking to the whole team through a media quote about Diarra. He needs Diarra, not just his defense but his understanding of the overall scheme, his understanding of how we practice and the culture. AK can't do it by himself.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I must’ve missed the part where he said “smaller role.” I think your interpretation of that quote is way too aggressive. You don’t think Hurley would love Diarra back as the 6th man, if he accepts it?
This is how I read it too. Not a smaller role but more the same one as last year ideally.

Reaction Score

You’d have to think that running and some full court d will be in the cards this season. It’ll give Hurley a chance to maximize his roster and allow for a more even spread or minutes.

Reaction Score
This is how I read it too. Not a smaller role but more the same one as last year ideally.
He said we discussed his role next year. He didn't say same, bigger, smaller or different. They discussed each other's expectations for the next season. To ensure they were in alignment.

Diarra probably wants the chance to start and be a vocal captain. And expressed what he wants to get out of next season to prepare him for a chance to play pro ball, somewhere.

Hurley probably wanted Diarra to understand the mix of players they were targeting to bring in that could see time at PG, including Nowell and Mahaney. Hurley probably reiterated that starting and minutes running the point would be earned. But staying in the 6th role might be a possible outcome if it was best for the team.

Diarra took his time and decided to come back with an understanding and acceptance of the parameters that Hurley laid out for him.

Reaction Score
He said we discussed his role next year. He didn't say same, bigger, smaller or different. They discussed each other's expectations for the next season. To ensure they were in alignment.

Diarra probably wants the chance to start and be a vocal captain. And expressed what he wants to get out of next season to prepare him for a chance to play pro ball, somewhere.

Hurley probably wanted Diarra to understand the mix of players they were targeting to bring in that could see time at PG, including Nowell and Mahaney. Hurley probably reiterated that starting and minutes running the point would be earned. But staying in the 6th role might be a possible outcome if it was best for the team.

Diarra took his time and decided to come back with an understanding and acceptance of the parameters that Hurley laid out for him.
pretty much how I read it as well, don't understand how anyone could take a negative slant towards that quote.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I must have missed that quote from Hurley. Diarra is too good on both ends to not play significant minutes.
No one said he isn’t going to play significant minutes. Starting and coming off the bench playing significant minutes are two different things.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

I agree with everything here as far as how the conversation probably went.

But the way everyone keeps leaving Ball out of the PG mix, y’all better hope he’s not our starter next year. Even now saying Mahaney can play it but still not Ball is lol.

If people think I’m annoying now.
Excited Party GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Reaction Score
No one said he isn’t going to play significant minutes. Starting and coming off the bench playing significant minutes are two different things.

Nah not really. In the Hurley era the most MPG logged by a bench guy was Brendan Adams back in 2019 at 22mpg. Diarra played 19mpg last year and now Newton, Cam and Castle are off the team. Significant minutes = starter minutes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom