Team Fall Activity | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Team Fall Activity

Reaction Score
“In your mind you have people that you want to win it,” Hurley said. “But they’ve got to earn it. Because if you don’t start the people that have been the best, you lose the respect of the team and everyone in that circle. So you can’t gift it, it’s got to be earned. Again, this is Day 117 so we’ve been – it’s this giant collection of plays that are running through your mind from June.”

Alternate access:
Competition for minutes in full swing as UConn men’s basketball holds first official day of practice

Reaction Score
Solo is not going to relegate Mahaney to the bench: they may split time at the 2.
With Stewart and McNeeley, I don't see much room for Solo at he 3.
Add Lewis, and Mullins might get real nervous asking Murray about available minutes.

Reaction Score
Alex Karaban, two-time national champion and first-team All-American candidate, emerged from the UConn men's basketball team's first official practice of the season with a little blood on his uniform.

"We try to make the practices more physical than the Big East," Karaban shrugged. "So, a little blood doesn't matter to anybody."

Alternate access:
UConn coach Dan Hurley looking for leadership from veterans after a bloody first practice

Reaction Score
My takeaways are Liam is acting like a leader and that Solo has taken a big jump (including being consistent).

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Hurley uses these press conferences to send messages to his players. His answers are so much the markings of a great coach. My takes:

1) He knows as we have all seen from a physical talent and size standpoint Samson in an NBA player. But he has lacked strength and over all BBIQ which is understandable since he started only a few years ago. If he can get Samson anywhere close to OSO who is far inferior in physical talent to Samson then not only is UConn better so are Samson chances at sticking at the next level. We may see Taris and Samson on the court some this year.
2) Ball is playing good to very good. And followed by Aiden needs to figure out how to get going and fit in. Fit in may not have been the words used but what they were exactly is not relevant. I think the message is more important. Like pick it up because right now we got an incumbent Sophomore that is outplaying you.
3) Liam yes there was a lot of good but he better make defense a focus because he is going to have to be able to cover three positions to maximize his floor time. And I think Hurley said he is a bit behind in his defense.
4) Let’s not sleep on Nowell he may just be the best passer we have and I think Hurley sees him pushing Diarra for the starting PG. But practice is different the games even if he wins I still see Freshmen growing pains and Diarra settling in as starting point guard.

One full practice but over one hundred days of working on what his vision is for this years team. So he already knows more about what he has than we will at the end of December.

Reaction Score
Solo is not going to relegate Mahaney to the bench: they may split time at the 2.
With Stewart and McNeeley, I don't see much room for Solo at he 3.
Add Lewis, and Mullins might get real nervous asking Murray about available minutes.
It's not about religating anyone to the bench but knowing we have many weapons/players to put in depending on a in game situation. Both players will see plenty of minutes.

Reaction Score
As some others have stated-Pretty interesting that DH/staff have Samson studying Oso. He was an outlier as a point center in CBB. Getting Samson comfortable with the ball in his hands to help facilitate our offensive sets/actions so that the ball doesn't stop once in his hands would be huge. Sam will never be Oso and Oso could never be Sam.

Just an example of player development that can really help the player and team. In their own unique way-Tarris and Sam are going to be a difficult matchup tandem this year.

Reaction Score

Absolutely fabulous interview. Danny Hurley is the biggest reason we are two-time champs. The basketball program is molded to his vision, passion, and lifelong experience, with some help from his friends, and here we go, let's get #3

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Feels like Ball is starting based on all the hype. Diarra vs Mahaney for the point, whoever comes off the bench wins our second straight 6th man of the year.

Reaction Score
Feels like Ball is starting based on all the hype. Diarra vs Mahaney for the point, whoever comes off the bench wins our second straight 6th man of the year.
Would be shocked if it’s not Diarra.

Reading into what I’ve seen so far, rewiring transfers going slower than hoped.

Reaction Score
Reading into what I’ve seen so far, rewiring transfers going slower than hoped.
It's just day 1/117. Newton was getting beat out by Diarra when he first arrived, too, until he wasn't.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's just day 1/117. Newton was getting beat out by Diarra when he first arrived, too, until he wasn't.
I’m not sure what people saw at Saint Mary’s to think that Aidan is definitely going to beat Hassan. I would be stunned if that happened. Aidan will be a good player for us but Hassan has been here and from what I can see has too much pride and has progressed too much here to lose out to a player like Aidan…. Won’t happen period! I’m sure there will be some situational things with the players but cmon.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I’m not sure what people saw at Saint Mary’s to think that Aidan is definitely going to beat Hassan. I would be stunned if that happened. Aidan will be a good player for us but Hassan has been here and from what I can see has too much pride and has progressed too much here to lose out to a player like Aidan…. Won’t happen period! I’m sure there will be some situational things with the players but cmon.
I think after seeing the success of Cam people equated that to what Aidan could do.

Think we are better off with a Solo breakout over an Aidan breakout seeing the natural talent Solo has.

Reaction Score
I think after seeing the success of Cam people equated that to what Aidan could do.

Think we are better off with a Solo breakout over an Aidan breakout seeing the natural talent Solo has.
I’m thinking they are both going to breakout this year

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I’m thinking they are both going to breakout this year
That’s of course is ideal. It comes down to who wins the job between him and Diarra it seems. Even if Diarra wins it it’s great to have that kind of veteran experience coming off the bench. He can be an elevated Joey C.

Their size and numbers from the same conference honestly aren’t that far a part from their sophomore years.

Reaction Score
That’s of course is ideal. It comes down to who wins the job between him and Diarra it seems. Even if Diarra wins it it’s great to have that kind of veteran experience coming off the bench. He can be an elevated Joey C.

Their size and numbers from the same conference honestly aren’t that far a part from their sophomore years.

You can't possibly be serious with this. Mahaney's advanced stats are not in the same ballpark as Joey Calcaterra at San Diego

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom