OT: - Teachers of Boneyard...Back to School Time | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Teachers of Boneyard...Back to School Time

Reaction Score
So is the teacher subreddit (r/Teachers) just overblown and only attracting a small subset of angry, disgruntled and/or very tired teachers, or is it, in any way, representing how teachers in the US feel? Man, it is just horror story after horror story over there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So everyone, what resources do you love using? Especially ones that make your job easier.

I will provide a few, some paid, some free, and some kind of half and half.

Achieve3000
IXL
Khan Academy
Twinkl
Kahoot
Quizizz
Quizlet
Prezi
Schoology
GoFormative

The best curricular supplement I've ever used: CommonLit

Game changer, absolute GAME CHANGER.

Reaction Score
So is the teacher subreddit (r/Teachers) just overblown and only attracting a small subset of angry, disgruntled and/or very tired teachers, or is it, in any way, representing how teachers in the US feel? Man, it is just horror story after horror story over there.
I think it's a bit of who it attracts and a bit of what this job is like in a decent amount of the country. The job has gotten more rigorous over the last two decades and more prescribed, and a bunch of people who never really wanted to be teachers have started taking leadership roles in both traditional public and especially through charters. They don't understand teaching, don't love it, and so it feels to many as though they're being demeaned.

I'd say there have been more and unique frustrations in the last few years, but I work at a private school outside of Boston and my wife at a large public inside the city. Teaching during COVID was the worst time we had teaching (online classes and cohorts): exhausting both physically and mentally without the relationship building. But it's largely back to normal now, though we're just dealing with a batch of kids who are about as smart as they were before but who lack a great deal of skills.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
So everyone, what resources do you love using? Especially ones that make your job easier.

I will provide a few, some paid, some free, and some kind of half and half.

Achieve3000
IXL
Khan Academy
Twinkl
Kahoot
Quizizz
Quizlet
Prezi
Schoology
GoFormative

Brainpop.com
horrible histories videos

british museum sites:

Reaction Score

Reddit skews young. What, 50% of new teachers quit in 3 years? I always just envision it as a venting space primarily. Nothing productive goes on in that sub.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
What, 50% of new teachers quit in 3 years?

That's the reason the Massachusetts teacher retirement fund does so well. Those teachers who quit after a few years can take their contributions out, but get very little interest.

Their money works for the fund, they leave and never draw a pension.

When I started teaching in the 80s the first couple pages of the seniority list had teachers who had been in district for 35 years or more. When I retired the first page had people with 20 years. I was 53 and the 2nd oldest in my building.

Reaction Score
That's the reason the Massachusetts teacher retirement fund does so well. Those teachers who quit after a few years can take their contributions out, but get very little interest.

When I started teaching in the 80s the first couple pages of the seniority list had teachers who had been in district for 35 years. When I retired the first page had people with 20 years. I was 53 and the 2nd oldest in my building.

In Indiana it is very similar. I am in my 15th year of teaching and there are many new teachers every year at my High school with 1800 kids. I live where the RVs are manufactured and dozens of teachers quit and start working for the factory because they can make more money and it has overtime. I have thought about it.

The old governor back in 2012 really screwed over teachers by not really allowing any difference between a Masters and a Bachelors. I should be earning $10k+ more per year if those new rules were not put in place. I am currently at $55,000 with 15 years and a MS degree plus additional teaching of Dual Credit classes.

Reaction Score

When I started teaching in the 80s the first couple pages of the seniority list had teachers who had been in district for 35 years or more. When I retired the first page had people with 20 years. I was 53 and the 2nd oldest in my building.

From what I understand, CTs system relies on the same effect.

Also, can we talk about the VULTURES that are Equitable "financial analysts"??? These folks are all over new teachera in my building like gravy on potatoes selling crappy overpriced mutual funds.

Reaction Score
I should be earning $10k+ more per year if those new rules were not put in place. I am currently at $55,000 with 15 years and a MS degree plus additional teaching of Dual Credit classes.

And we wonder why our education system sucks and the best and brightest college grads aren't thinking of teaching for a millisecond.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
From what I understand, CTs system relies on the same effect.

Also, can we talk about the VULTURES that are Equitable "financial analysts"??? These folks are all over new teachera in my building like gravy on potatoes selling crappy overpriced mutual funds.

I had a principal who set up annuity salesman to pitch at teachers' meetings. She then tried to require each teacher to sit with the salesman during one prep time over the next three days.

Reaction Score
I had a principal who set up annuity salesman to pitch at teachers' meetings. She then tried to require each teacher to sit with the salesman during one prep time over the next three days.

I would imagine that principal got hit with a grievance so hard it turned her head sideways lol.

One of my subtle ways of subverting the man is to throw out all the Northwest Mutual, Equitable etc. business cards that got left in the office. I'm a petty guy.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I would imagine that principal got hit with a grievance so hard it turned her head sideways lol.

One of my subtle ways of subverting the man is to throw out all the Northwest Mutual, Equitable etc. business cards that got left in the office. I'm a petty guy.

The principal wasn't in school the day of the teachers' meeting. Most teachers walked out of the presentation.

Reaction Score
The principal wasn't in school the day of the teachers' meeting. Most teachers walked out of the presentation.

As they should have. Good for them.

What really grinds my gears is these folks market themselves as "the retirement guy for the district" or something. When the Equitable advisor walked into my classroom unannounced one day after school my first year teaching, I really thought he was the 403b guy for the district, and that I had no other option. It's how they present their services and it's super misleading. I've got no problem with fee-based financial advisors even if I don't use one. I've got serious beef with guys that take advantage of naive, overworked teachers.

I'm lucky that I only invested with them for a year before I ended up taking control of finances myself. It takes months of calls and ridiculous fees to close their accounts. One of my coworkers had something like 30,000 in an account with them and it cost 1000$ in fees to close the account!

temery

What?
Reaction Score

What really grinds my gears is these folks market themselves as "the retirement guy for the district" or something. When the Equitable advisor walked into my classroom unannounced one day after school my first year teaching, I really thought he was the 403b guy for the district, and that I had no other option. It's how they present their services and it's super misleading. I've got no problem with fee-based financial advisors even if I don't use one. I've got serious beef with guys that take advantage of naive, overworked teachers.

I'm lucky that I only invested with them for a year before I ended up taking control of finances myself. It takes months of calls and ridiculous fees to close their accounts. One of my coworkers had something like 30,000 in an account with them and it cost 1000$ in fees to close the account!

'My grandmother and her sisters were born in 1908, 1909, and 1910. Their father was loaded, but lost a bundle in the '29 stock market crash.

He made another bundle in the '30s and bought an annuity for each of his daughters. My grandmother died in her 80s, one sister in her 90s, and another at 101.

Outside of those who sell annuities, they are the only three people I've known who benefited from an annuity.

Im sure others have made out well, but there's a reason companies make money selling annuities.

Reaction Score

What do you do instead? I got caught by the same trap my first year teaching. Thought the guy was the financial advisor for the district. I stayed in that district for 3 years, and now that 403b is just sitting there.

Reaction Score

If you pay attention, a lot of the teachers in that subreddit that are complaining teach in places like Florida where it genuinely is miserable to be a teacher. I don't know why anyone would subject themselves to that. In most places in the northeast being a teacher isn't a half bad profession. I worked in the private sector before becoming a teacher and I never want to go back to working for a company.

Reaction Score
If you pay attention, a lot of the teachers in that subreddit that are complaining teach in places like Florida where it genuinely is miserable to be a teacher. I don't know why anyone would subject themselves to that. In most places in the northeast being a teacher isn't a half bad profession. I worked in the private sector before becoming a teacher and I never want to go back to working for a company.

I think it also matters that you teach where education is valued. Most conservative states education isn't valued near as high and thus teachers get the short end of the stick. Certain districts in Indiana aren't bad to be in, but they have much more money than most because of their tax base of the houses are higher.

Reaction Score
I worked in insurance. Teaching is in a number of ways much harder and more time consuming, and in others ways much better for me. The work (for me) feels more rewarding, and while there's a lot of work, the summers and regular schedule is worth it.

Reaction Score
I only use Reddit to find streams of games, but I would assume that thread would feature a solid proportion of teachers that would complain regardless of the situation.

FWIW, my older sister who teaches in a large, well-funded Fairfield County public high school has had a pretty normal year. No complaints/stresses that are worse than normal.

I teach in a private school in the same area and there's a lot of catch up. What can we do to make this year the best? That type of mentality. Unfortunately, not everyone is a capable and independent doer, so my wife and I are succumbing to the Competency Curse.

Lots of talk of retention and more time of my day spent on stuff that isn't teaching. We have a new head of middle school, who I really like, but we have a soft head of school who caters to the board's wants. He's well into retirement age, so I'm rooting for him to step down at the end of the year so we can get some real leadership.

Most of the what I do more this year is all good stuff: still coaching and now took on the lead for our competition math team, so that gives me a solid stipend. However, adding it all up (my department head stipend is pathetic), my best guess is that I'd get paid still less than 10k (up to 30k for some of the high paying districts) of the the median salary of systems in my area, so I'll go through the process again this year of selectively looking for public middle school math jobs. Being at my school for 13 years (and the only school I've worked for post student teaching) there's definitely a hard precipice feeling of avoiding change.

Better pay in the short-term, better financially stability long-term and the idea of just teaching sounds lovely. Working at a school that fights to thrive financially amongst a competitive private school market is draining and while I am currently the department head at my school, I kinda got that role by default (other people left) and would have no problem no longer having a leadership role in a department.

Reaction Score
What do you do instead? I got caught by the same trap my first year teaching. Thought the guy was the financial advisor for the district. I stayed in that district for 3 years, and now that 403b is just sitting there.

Obviously we have the TRB in CT, so that's the bulk of my retirement plans. The extra saving is more for my wife since she just recently started saving for retirement. We'll have the house paid off by then, so we'll probably be fine without me saving too (I'll be in the 75% bracket on TRB), but I figure extra money never killed anyone, and I can certainly afford to save right now with no kids around.

I max out my HSA and invest it as a retirement vehicle, and max out a Roth IRA. Last year that was, what, 10,000$? I just put all the money in VTI/VXUS and call it a day. I'm sure I'll need to hire someone to help me out when it comes time to start shifting allocation towards bonds in my 40s and 50s, but I'm only 30 and pretty willing to absorb a huge hit to the markets if needed. I just don't look at my accounts more than once or twice a year, so I forget about it.

If you happen to be in Equitable right now, it can usually be worth it despite the fees. When I did the math for myself and the two coworkers I've helped wiggle out of their clutches, the expense ratios they were costing were more than taking the money and putting it elsewhere, so I took the hit and moved it to where my other accounts are.

Reaction Score
I think it also matters that you teach where education is valued. Most conservative states education isn't valued near as high and thus teachers get the short end of the stick. Certain districts in Indiana aren't bad to be in, but they have much more money than most because of their tax base of the houses are higher.

Conservative places are weird. Research shows that people generally love their local schools, but have a negative view of education in general. The school board crazies will always be out there, but the vast majority of parents like their teachers and schools. But when it comes time to vote for state funding and things like that... schools end up underfunded with underqualified teachers.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I only use Reddit to find streams of games, but I would assume that thread would feature a solid proportion of teachers that would complain regardless of the situation.

FWIW, my older sister who teaches in a large, well-funded Fairfield County public high school has had a pretty normal year. No complaints/stresses that are worse than normal.

I teach in a private school in the same area and there's a lot of catch up. What can we do to make this year the best? That type of mentality. Unfortunately, not everyone is a capable and independent doer, so my wife and I are succumbing to the Competency Curse.

Lots of talk of retention and more time of my day spent on stuff that isn't teaching. We have a new head of middle school, who I really like, but we have a soft head of school who caters to the board's wants. He's well into retirement age, so I'm rooting for him to step down at the end of the year so we can get some real leadership.

Most of the what I do more this year is all good stuff: still coaching and now took on the lead for our competition math team, so that gives me a solid stipend. However, adding it all up (my department head stipend is pathetic), my best guess is that I'd get paid still less than 10k (up to 30k for some of the high paying districts) of the the median salary of systems in my area, so I'll go through the process again this year of selectively looking for public middle school math jobs. Being at my school for 13 years (and the only school I've worked for post student teaching) there's definitely a hard precipice feeling of avoiding change.

Better pay in the short-term, better financially stability long-term and the idea of just teaching sounds lovely. Working at a school that fights to thrive financially amongst a competitive private school market is draining and while I am currently the department head at my school, I kinda got that role by default (other people left) and would have no problem no longer having a leadership role in a department.
Good luck.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom