OT: - Teachers of Boneyard...Back to School Time | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Teachers of Boneyard...Back to School Time

Reaction Score
I work in a district in receivership, in transition from CT -> MA it was a challenge getting anyone to give me a shot once I had jumped through all of their hoops for certifcation (ZERO RECIPROCITY) and they gave me a huge raise to come, which in turn handcuffed me from going elsewhere as I've stated before in this thread.

That being said, the Superintendent is taking a hard line with technology this year, and admin is punching down hard which I REALLY like, and it's getting mixed results in the building. In my classes it's working for the most part, still write-ups daily for kids who refuse to put their phones away but overall I give my first reminder as we're getting ready to start that phones and ear buds have to go away and they actually do for the most part.

My only gripe is that they are NOT allowing kids to listen to music while doing independent work, which is someting I've never had a problem with, but the belief is that if you allow it there you are going to have difficulty getting them to keep it away otherwise which I also understand.

Again, I have very very very little problems in my classroom, to the point where administration asks me on a daily basis "how do you do it, because no one else can". I really do take it as a compliment in year 16 to get this level of professional respect from admin - and even the assistant superintendent who did a walkthrough one morning and wrote me an email essentially saying "I had to see it myself" so it's super flattering.

The building is chaos mostly everywhere else though. I told them the only way I would stay this year (oh and trust me I tried like hell to get another job) was if they let me move up with my 10th graders to 11th grade this year and it's just been a pleasure. Even the students who struggle with behavior don't pull stuff with me because they know my expectations from last year. The school really bent over backwards for me, but loooooooooooooooooooord.. Am I a BCBA or a teacher? I forget sometimes.

These kids come from nothing and have nothing, I truly do like the kids, they absolutely crack me up they are just ridiculous.. SO well adjusted because of what they have to live through but at the same time so naive to the real world because the bar is just so low for them.

/rant over

Reaction Score
I have my weirdest schedule I think I've ever had:

I teach the first five periods in a row Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and have only one post-lunch class total. Also, all of my meetings are between Monday-Wednesday.

Basically, between 1:15 Thursday and 4 Friday, I have only three classes.

Totally imbalanced, but oddly, a lot of teachers have been complaining how the schedule is super imbalanced. For example, another teacher has all of her double periods on one day and then doesn't have any classes for one day.

The schedule was shoddily and quickly made by our lame duck head of middle school, who was known for her non-existent work/life balance, so I guess it was an embodiment of her personality.

Reaction Score

I teach the first five periods in a row Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and have only one post-lunch class total. Also, all of my meetings are between Monday-Wednesday.

Totally imbalanced, but oddly, a lot of teachers have been complaining how the schedule is super imbalanced. For example, another teacher has all of her double periods on one day and then doesn't have any classes for one day.

The schedule was shoddily and quickly made by our lame duck head of middle school, who was known for her non-existent work/life balance, so I guess it was an embodiment of her personality.

I have no classes after lunch on every day. One day I teach 8am, 845am, and 10:20am, the other day just 8am and 845am. If I didn't have a kid in daycare up the road, I'd be going home early all the time.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

In my district the best job going is dept chair. 20% bump in pay for most, and one less class per day. Each teacher teaches three 80 min blocks, so the dept chair teacher less than three hours per day, and being the dept chair, most assign themselves the classes they want to teach.

Reaction Score
This question is for public school teachers in an urban area.

My school in Indiana is potentially looking at changing the schedule for next year and I want to have as much info as possible. Currently we are on Block schedule with 8 periods. So 4 periods per day with all 8 classes meeting on Mondays (when we have them).

1) What schedules do you have at your school? Block 8, Block 7 with study hall, 7 period day, some modified schedule?

2) What do you like about your schedule?

3) What would you change about your schedule?

4) Do you get a prep period everyday or every other day?

I will probably have some other questions for you later.

Thanks.

Reaction Score

My school in Indiana is potentially looking at changing the schedule for next year and I want to have as much info as possible. Currently we are on Block schedule with 8 periods. So 4 periods per day with all 8 classes meeting on Mondays (when we have them).

1) What schedules do you have at your school? Block 8, Block 7 with study hall, 7 period day, some modified schedule?

Thanks.
My school has 8 period days 3 days/week and block two days/week. One block day is all odd periods, the other is all even periods. As a science teacher it works well for me because I can have regular classes on the 8 period days, then do labs on the blocks. I wouldn't want every day to be a block though, I think that would be brutal. I like the schedule the way it is.

Out of the 8 periods, I have two periods that are preps, and one period that is a duty (I have lunch duty this year). I have 5 classes.

Reaction Score

Thanks.
1. 7 period day - does not rotate
2. We have a prep and a duty period each day - sometimes we end up with 2 preps in a given day and that is GREAT
3. We had included a guided study period, which amounted to 30 mins lunch / 30 mins guided study - that was a HUGE benefit for most. Class periods were 5 mins shorter and EVERYONE (except the kids who cut it every day) had a 30 min breather study hall right before or after lunchtime.
4. Every day, sometimes a different period

Reaction Score
I have no classes after lunch on every day. One day I teach 8am, 845am, and 10:20am, the other day just 8am and 845am. If I didn't have a kid in daycare up the road, I'd be going home early all the time.
Are you at a private school? If not and if you're district is close to Norwalk, lemme peep a PM and let me know which district you teach in so I can apply. That schedule is luxurious, IMO.

Reaction Score

Thanks.
I teach in Bridgeport, CT so I got you

1) 7 period day with 2 specials on Monday and Wednesday (I teach elementary)

2) My schedule is terrible, I also coordinate the VIP Lighthouse After School program so maybe it’s me LOL, but sometimes I won’t get a lunch or I have to work through it

3) The dismissal part of our day is chaos, and we have to wait with our students who get picked up THEN put our bus kids on their bus

4) I’m suppose to prep during their special which run 35 min

Reaction Score
Any advice on how to collaborate/work with someone who’s personality sooooo different than anyone in the room.

There’s a second year teacher at our school in a new role who goes to every meeting and her energy is always “on edge”, like she’s always about to break.

Not only is her energy intense, but she doesn’t like collaboration, she likes things her way. She thinks she has all the answers even in a room with people with way more experience and at a role that is higher up than her.

What stinks is that she’s the only person on our middle school team who a lot of people have trouble working with, and she takes up a lot of attention/the floor from others.

I’m pretty good at tuning out, but not with her. It’s like I leave any meeting with her feeling like a crazy person because I pick up on her chaos.

Reaction Score
Any advice on how to collaborate/work with someone who’s personality sooooo different than anyone in the room.

There’s a second year teacher at our school in a new role who goes to every meeting and her energy is always “on edge”, like she’s always about to break.

Not only is her energy intense, but she doesn’t like collaboration, she likes things her way. She thinks she has all the answers even in a room with people with way more experience and at a role that is higher up than her.

What stinks is that she’s the only person on our middle school team who a lot of people have trouble working with, and she takes up a lot of attention/the floor from others.

I’m pretty good at tuning out, but not with her. It’s like I leave any meeting with her feeling like a crazy person because I pick up on her chaos.

People like that are the worst. No real advice... but I know the type. Everything is always an emergency and they are the only ones with the narcan.

You might have to ask her for a pretty uncomfortable conversation at some point, if trying to remain professional and show her how collaboration through your example is a good thing.

Reaction Score

I think we all work / have worked with someone like that.

One thing we did last year to avoid that was set meeting rules for faculty meetings. Something to the effect of "Everyone has a voice - but one voice should not rule over all". That way the rules can be referred to if someone is attempting to dominate, which allows someone else to share a viewpoint.

She's likely got something going on in her life that's feeding this neurosis.. But who knows? This iis also how some people's anxiety manifests, when working in large groups of people or when they are seemingly "on stage" with others.

My wife tends to dominate conversation. We went to Newport for a weekend and this nice bartender is trying to give us the history of the Vanderbilt family and she interrupted him like 10x and I had to whack her on the leg like what is wrong with you? After a few Oktoberfests she just never stops talking.. Thankfully it's only after a few Oktoberfests.

Reaction Score
I think we all work / have worked with someone like that.

One thing we did last year to avoid that was set meeting rules for faculty meetings. Something to the effect of "Everyone has a voice - but one voice should not rule over all". That way the rules can be referred to if someone is attempting to dominate, which allows someone else to share a viewpoint.

She's likely got something going on in her life that's feeding this neurosis.. But who knows? This iis also how some people's anxiety manifests, when working in large groups of people or when they are seemingly "on stage" with others.

My wife tends to dominate conversation. We went to Newport for a weekend and this nice bartender is trying to give us the history of the Vanderbilt family and she interrupted him like 10x and I had to whack her on the leg like what is wrong with you? After a few Oktoberfests she just never stops talking.. Thankfully it's only after a few Oktoberfests.

Discussion protocols can be a good thing too if the teacher is THAT bad @Hey Adrien! ... but they really hamstring creativity at times and are exhausting to stick to. I've had to use them a couple times with, let's call them "spirited," colleagues who couldn't play nice and it wasn't particularly fun. But it was effective.

@Dream Jobbed 2.0 and I know far too much about discussion protocols after our grad program lol

Reaction Score
I'm an ISS coordinator/teacher at a middle school. Can really see how the lost time from Covid has really seet some kids back emotionally and socially. Expected it to be quiet with only a few grade levels at my school due to a massive building/construction overhaul. It's been kind of a strange surreal expxerience so far.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Late on this one... Already 6 weeks into the year at my middle school in the Columbus Ohio area. We have 8 Periods with a 30-minute daily block with a group of 18 or so kids to work on SEL and Career Conversations. We also use that time for academic assistance since we also see the huge impact being out for COVID had on my 7th and 8th graders. Especially in my math classes.

@Hey Adrien! I have dealt with those teachers as well and the best thing you can do is talk to them one on one. Would they be receptive?

Reaction Score
@Hey Adrien! I have dealt with those teachers as well and the best thing you can do is talk to them one on one. Would they be receptive?
Absolutely. This person is easily the most sensitive person I've ever worked with (I'm liberal, but she's "snowflake") and responds really well with one-on-one conversations.

We had our Curriculum Night parent thing on Tuesday and after feeling like a zombie on Wednesday, I'm definitely in the swing of things now.

Honestly, summer was so low-key, it takes me a solid four weeks to get into the wavelength of middle school kids. That same energy that felt overwhelming in the beginning is now that energy that powers me through the day. The kids are awesome, just feeling the stress of others has an impact for me. Plus, also getting into the other parts of work that I enjoy (coaching cross-country and the math team, busting chops with the kids who are on our school's fantasy football) has been awesome.

I basically wrote down a list of changes this year compared to the other 12 years at my school and it was really eye-opening, so that gave me some perspective to ease up on myself and just let it happen.

Reaction Score
Quite a mix on Apple Music shuffle today while grading my first assessments of the year:

Cardi B + Megan Thee Stallion - WAP
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
Nine Inch Nails - Closer
Commodores - Nightshift

I was movin' !!!

Reaction Score
UNIQUE update on my teaching situation.. Looking for some insight or ideas, or perhaps just a sense of how to play this.

I was a finalist at 2 strong schools this summer, they went with either cheaper alternatives / former graduates.. Always difficult to overcome those situations, both stung because it was indicated to me how much the committees liked me..

Fast forward to this week.. Both schools suddenly have openings - one of them wants to me to interview, with the potential of a 2nd interview (sample lesson - godddd I hate it when they make you do those) and the other one just flat out wants to send me to the Superintendent to negotiate.

Problem is, I really want the school that is going through the interview process but at the same time I don't think the principal loves me, we had a great rapport in the room, I was roasting the Phillies fan about my Mets (oh the irony)! So talking to a teacher there, who would have preferred me the first time, I get the sense that it will be a heavily scrutinized interview.

I don't just want to go for low hanging fruit and just take the other one just because it's easier, to be honest I hate that drive. I know that's nitpicky thing but when you get 15 years into your career those things matter.

All that being said, I am gainfully employed but my school is in receivership and I'm growing tired of admin being in my room twice a week giving me notes and basically using me to raise their stats because I'm one of the stronger teachers in the building. To me I just feel that all this admin intrusion just gives them the opportunity to knife you in the back if they decide to turn on you.

Any thoughts or insight?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My staff is officially hitting the “well the newness of the school year has worn off is it Christmas break yet?” Wall. Gotta get these folks over the hump!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Top piece of advice: interview at both.

If you can only interview at one, interview at the job you most want.
Yep, where things get tricky is if the school with the worst commute offers you while you are still in the interview process with the other school. At that point, I think you can say to them “ I have an offer on the table. I would very much like to be a part of this team given all I’ve learned in the interviews, but I’m at a point where I need to make a decision. If you are prepared to make an offer, I would very, very seriously consider it, if not it is probably best that I withdraw at this time.”

The thing that I would not do is turn down the offer with the worst commute in the hopes that the offer on the other side will materialize. It is a bad sign that they didn’t offer you initially, and the worst one that they are asking to re-interview you. That doesn’t mean that you won’t get the job there, but it is an indication that there was some thing that gave them pause, for whatever reason.

Good luck!!

Reaction Score
UNIQUE update on my teaching situation.. Looking for some insight or ideas, or perhaps just a sense of how to play this.

I was a finalist at 2 strong schools this summer, they went with either cheaper alternatives / former graduates.. Always difficult to overcome those situations, both stung because it was indicated to me how much the committees liked me..

Fast forward to this week.. Both schools suddenly have openings - one of them wants to me to interview, with the potential of a 2nd interview (sample lesson - godddd I hate it when they make you do those) and the other one just flat out wants to send me to the Superintendent to negotiate.

Problem is, I really want the school that is going through the interview process but at the same time I don't think the principal loves me, we had a great rapport in the room, I was roasting the Phillies fan about my Mets (oh the irony)! So talking to a teacher there, who would have preferred me the first time, I get the sense that it will be a heavily scrutinized interview.

I don't just want to go for low hanging fruit and just take the other one just because it's easier, to be honest I hate that drive. I know that's nitpicky thing but when you get 15 years into your career those things matter.

All that being said, I am gainfully employed but my school is in receivership and I'm growing tired of admin being in my room twice a week giving me notes and basically using me to raise their stats because I'm one of the stronger teachers in the building. To me I just feel that all this admin intrusion just gives them the opportunity to knife you in the back if they decide to turn on you.

Any thoughts or insight?

Tough one. I will say that commute matters A LOT. I am commuting now 45 minutes (for a 50k pay raise, so I'm not complaining too much), and it really does impact my mood after work. I wouldn't discount the commute.

TBH this seems like a go-with-your-gut situation. Holding out for the potentially better job could be a good choice... so could just going straight to the super.

Reaction Score
Yep, where things get tricky is if the school with the worst commute offers you while you are still in the interview process with the other school. At that point, I think you can say to them “ I have an offer on the table. I would very much like to be a part of this team given all I’ve learned in the interviews, but I’m at a point where I need to make a decision. If you are prepared to make an offer, I would very, very seriously consider it, if not it is probably best that I withdraw at this time.”

The thing that I would not do is turn down the offer with the worst commute in the hopes that the offer on the other side will materialize. It is a bad sign that they didn’t offer you initially, and the worst one that they are asking to re-interview you. That doesn’t mean that you won’t get the job there, but it is an indication that there was some thing that gave them pause, for whatever reason.

Good luck!!
Spot on with that 2nd paragraph. I am learning that the principal is a curriculum freak, obsessed with UBD and he expects all of his teachers to be the same - along with being versed in all of the curriculum buzz words. He put me on the spot with a curriculum question in my finalist interview this summer and I dropped the ball with it a little, so that was what separated myself and the other candidate (in his mind). A teacher there reached out last weekend to get me to re-apply, and she said how I blew them away in the 1st interview and the committee was irritated that he went rogue so to speak and made his choce based on that.

Reaction Score
Tough one. I will say that commute matters A LOT. I am commuting now 45 minutes (for a 50k pay raise, so I'm not complaining too much), and it really does impact my mood after work. I wouldn't discount the commute.

TBH this seems like a go-with-your-gut situation. Holding out for the potentially better job could be a good choice... so could just going straight to the super.
Great insight! I appreciate this. I'm just going to do my best to stall to make it to Thursday, then I have that re-interview. The guy is seeming like a secret with this curriculum obsession, do I really want to work there? I mean.. It is a substantially better school, but at the end of the day we've all dealt with administrators that are difficult to deal with.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom