OT: - Teachers of Boneyard...Back to School Time | The Boneyard

OT: Teachers of Boneyard...Back to School Time

Reaction Score
To the Teachers of Boneyards, godspeed to you all and hope everyone has an excellent school year.

I'm back for meetings on Tuesday with students coming the following Tuesday and an overnight camping trip in NW NJ from that Wednesday-Friday. Nice way to start the school year without anything heavy content wise.

Also, I'm in a new classroom after staying in the same room for the first twelve years at my school, so I'm looking forward to that change.

Best of luck to all!

Reaction Score
To the Teachers of Boneyards, godspeed to you all and hope everyone has an excellent school year.

I'm back for meetings on Tuesday with students coming the following Tuesday and an overnight camping trip in NW NJ from that Wednesday-Friday. Nice way to start the school year without anything heavy content wise.

Also, I'm in a new classroom after staying in the same room for the first twelve years at my school, so I'm looking forward to that change.

Best of luck to all!

This will be my first year with an office instead of a classroom. Very weird feeling.

I'm running new teacher orientation next Monday and Tuesday. And we hired my ex's sister. Everyone pray for me, please!

Reaction Score
Yes, thanks. I just finished my week of teacher/ staff meetings, and can't wait to get back in the classroom. The freshmen who arrived on campus this week look so excited to start the next chapter of their lives...in person!

Admin creep is real, and the meetings are seemingly neverending. (For reference, I teach at a state liberal arts college.).

Good luck to all the teachers. Especially primary and secondary levels. It's the toughest job you'll ever love. So critical for society.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Best of luck to all!

What subject?

Reaction Score
I'm so glad someone made this thread... I have had the strangest experience with interviews this summer..

Background, I'm a 15 year veteran who just transitioned to Massachusetts last year, got a big raise to work in an inner city-ish district.. I was wary going in, and all of my worries were pretty much spot on, I have been trying to get out since the Spring.

I was / am a finalist at 2 great schools this summer. First one I interviewed and was incredibly strong, total radio silence from them for over a week. I finally get a call, assuming it will be the "thanks, but no thanks" but he tells me I'm a finalist and that "HR will be in touch for next steps...." That was Wednesday morning, no contact since...

The 2nd one was even more ridiculous. Crushed the 1st interview, great rapport with the committee and principal, they brought me back for a finalist interview yesterday, had me fill out reference paperwork. Principal told me to reach out to those people because he would be calling them after the interview. Interview goes quite well, I walked out of there thinking it was in the bag. None of my references got called and I got a Dear John email that I wasn't their choice at 3pm. What the heck???

At this point I'm battling the issue that I cost too much, was my absolute biggest fear taking the inner-city job, along with considering how long I've been in education.

Now my current school made a curriculum shift that I am 100% not on board with, and I for sure have one foot out the door, but what is even going on with the other job? I don't know what to think.. So frustrating!

Any insight? I could write a book on interview processes that have been so unprofessional and just flat out bizarre things that have happened to me on the trail. I don't know whaaaaaaaaaaaaat to think.. The clock is ticking too, ugh......

Reaction Score
My sister is starting up her 20th year at Greenwich High. She’s heading back next week for the meetings.

Glastonbury where my kids go start school this Thursday.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
in Connecticut, we're only short 1000 bus drivers as of now.
expect delays.

Reaction Score
Year 15 teacher here in the RV production capital of the US in Indiana. Teach High School math at a public school.

Our 1st day with students was last Wednesday. We were the last district in the area to start school this year. Other districts started the 1st Friday in August.

Really need to get out!!!

Reaction Score
I'm so glad someone made this thread... I have had the strangest experience with interviews this summer..

Background, I'm a 15 year veteran who just transitioned to Massachusetts last year, got a big raise to work in an inner city-ish district.. I was wary going in, and all of my worries were pretty much spot on, I have been trying to get out since the Spring.

I was / am a finalist at 2 great schools this summer. First one I interviewed and was incredibly strong, total radio silence from them for over a week. I finally get a call, assuming it will be the "thanks, but no thanks" but he tells me I'm a finalist and that "HR will be in touch for next steps...." That was Wednesday morning, no contact since...

The 2nd one was even more ridiculous. Crushed the 1st interview, great rapport with the committee and principal, they brought me back for a finalist interview yesterday, had me fill out reference paperwork. Principal told me to reach out to those people because he would be calling them after the interview. Interview goes quite well, I walked out of there thinking it was in the bag. None of my references got called and I got a Dear John email that I wasn't their choice at 3pm. What the heck???

At this point I'm battling the issue that I cost too much, was my absolute biggest fear taking the inner-city job, along with considering how long I've been in education.

Now my current school made a curriculum shift that I am 100% not on board with, and I for sure have one foot out the door, but what is even going on with the other job? I don't know what to think.. So frustrating!

Any insight? I could write a book on interview processes that have been so unprofessional and just flat out bizarre things that have happened to me on the trail. I don't know whaaaaaaaaaaaaat to think.. The clock is ticking too, ugh......
@M.S.G. ....not sure if this will help. I have heard some crazy stories as well.

My girlfriend is a school psychologist. Top of the scale. Over 20 plus years of experience, plus it's a shortage area in CT right now. Was offered a job in early July at one of the better districts in the state after interviewing twice, and after getting glow reviews from her references. She accepted.

It took HR a week to get back to her to set up an appointment to finalize everything. The HR director was almost an hour late to her meeting, and then said the district was offering her 25 grand less than top of the scale because she had taken 2 years off total during her career (1 each for the birth of her children, which were complicated births).

The HR manager met with her on a Tuesday afternoon, and gave her a Wednesday deadline of 5 p.m to take it or leave it as he put it. He said any questions let me know.

She had one question, emailed him, left 3 voice mail messages over 2 days, and he never got back to her. Finally, on THURSDAY, at 6 p.m. he emailed her and said they were pulling the offer because they never heard from her, and he had consulted with someone in the district who wasn't even part of the interview process. She called the principal who hired her, the Super, and no one would take her call.

Beyond this being ridicilous, unprofessional, etc. she lost almost 2 weeks of time where she could have applied at other places.

Luckily, she just found another job, but it is a wacky world out there.

At my school, we can't find anyone for our psychological services team. Everyone seems to be leaving the field...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This will be my first year with an office instead of a classroom. Very weird feeling.

I'm running new teacher orientation next Monday and Tuesday. And we hired my ex's sister. Everyone pray for me, please!
Please tell me you don't have to do her observations...

Reaction Score
@M.S.G. ....not sure if this will help. I have heard some crazy stories as well.

My girlfriend is a school psychologist. Top of the scale. Over 20 plus years of experience, plus it's a shortage area in CT right now. Was offered a job in early July at one of the better districts in the state after interviewing twice, and after getting glow reviews from her references. She accepted.

It took HR a week to get back to her to set up an appointment to finalize everything. The HR director was almost an hour late to her meeting, and then said the district was offering her 25 grand less than top of the scale because she had taken 2 years off total during her career (1 each for the birth of her children, which were complicated births).

The HR manager met with her on a Tuesday afternoon, and gave her a Wednesday deadline of 5 p.m to take it or leave it as he put it. He said any questions let me know.

She had one question, emailed him, left 3 voice mail messages over 2 days, and he never got back to her. Finally, on THURSDAY, at 6 p.m. he emailed her and said they were pulling the offer because they never heard from her, and he had consulted with someone in the district who wasn't even part of the interview process. She called the principal who hired her, the Super, and no one would take her call.

Beyond this being ridicilous, unprofessional, etc. she lost almost 2 weeks off time where she could have applied at other places.

Luckily, she just found another job, but it is a wacky world out there.

At my school, we can't find anyone for our psychological services team. Everyone seems to be leaving the field...
Hoooooooooooooooooooooooly moly.. Appreciate the perspective, thank you!

Reaction Score
Hoooooooooooooooooooooooly moly.. Appreciate the perspective, thank you!
Not saying your situation doesn't suck...but there seems to be so many stories of people pulling offers, situations like yours where you think you have the job. I still think there will be openings in the fall. Not sure how much notice you would have to give...

Reaction Score
Not saying your situation doesn't suck...but there seems to be so many stories of people pulling offers, situations like yours where you think you have the job. I still think there will be openings in the fall. Not sure how much notice you would have to give...
The way my tdistrict works, they actually had us come in 2 days last week, then 2 more next week so there is no pause / hiccup in salary. Very odd. Anyway.. Before PD this week I felt terrible and would have felt like the lowest form of human life resigning a week before school starts, but after the lack of administrative policy changes (cell phones / grading policy) I won't feel bad in the least walking away at the last moment, utterly ridiculous. I wanted to stand up and say, "so what did you guys do for 2 months???????"

Instead of adjusting the grading policy, that we met about 3 different times last year... They instead just renamed Summative - Mastery Plus / Formative - Mastery. Unbelieveable.

Reaction Score
Just got back from my beach vacation today. Still have until the 31st before I have to go in, but we just found out our new head of school was canned this week because everyone absolutely hated his guts. So it's going to be extremely weird.

Reaction Score

My guess is that When the recommendation to the superintendent, he's shooting it down for budget reasons. If you're not sped, math, or science that is likely the reason. I've been on 23 hiring committees in the past year and justifying hiring a 15 year English teacher vs some brand new kid from Central is tough. We had a few recommendations for hires shot down for that reason.

If you're sped, math or science it's probably something else. Are you white and straight? Right or wrong, that's a factor working against you too if you are.

@Dream Jobbed 2.0 and I have gone on and on and on about how ridiculous hiring can be via DM (including my own district shafting him pretty bad).

Good luck.

Reaction Score
Please tell me you don't have to do her observations...

I don't have my 092 yet, but I'm in the program. I'm a dean right now, so I won't be her supervisor per se, but I'm still doing the discipline for kids in her classes, and expected to coach teachers on their management... so definitely not ideal.

Reaction Score
The way my tdistrict works, they actually had us come in 2 days last week, then 2 more next week so there is no pause / hiccup in salary. Very odd. Anyway.. Before PD this week I felt terrible and would have felt like the lowest form of human life resigning a week before school starts, but after the lack of administrative policy changes (cell phones / grading policy) I won't feel bad in the least walking away at the last moment, utterly ridiculous. I wanted to stand up and say, "so what did you guys do for 2 months???????"

Instead of adjusting the grading policy, that we met about 3 different times last year... They instead just renamed Summative - Mastery Plus / Formative - Mastery. Unbelieveable.

Don't feel bad about leaving at the last minute. You owe no one any loyalty, even in teaching.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom