OT: - Teachers of Boneyard...Back to School Time | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Teachers of Boneyard...Back to School Time

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Great insight! I appreciate this. I'm just going to do my best to stall to make it to Thursday, then I have that re-interview. The guy is seeming like a secret with this curriculum obsession, do I really want to work there? I mean.. It is a substantially better school, but at the end of the day we've all dealt with administrators that are difficult to deal with.
In my experiences, you will have difficult administrators no matter where you go. I feel that way about my current school - There's one admin who's crazy about curriculum stuff that you mentioned - but I like my colleagues and students so that's why I've stayed here as long as I have. Do what you think will make you happiest!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
@M.S.G. ....not sure if this will help. I have heard some crazy stories as well.

My girlfriend is a school psychologist. Top of the scale. Over 20 plus years of experience, plus it's a shortage area in CT right now. Was offered a job in early July at one of the better districts in the state after interviewing twice, and after getting glow reviews from her references. She accepted.

It took HR a week to get back to her to set up an appointment to finalize everything. The HR director was almost an hour late to her meeting, and then said the district was offering her 25 grand less than top of the scale because she had taken 2 years off total during her career (1 each for the birth of her children, which were complicated births).

The HR manager met with her on a Tuesday afternoon, and gave her a Wednesday deadline of 5 p.m to take it or leave it as he put it. He said any questions let me know.

She had one question, emailed him, left 3 voice mail messages over 2 days, and he never got back to her. Finally, on THURSDAY, at 6 p.m. he emailed her and said they were pulling the offer because they never heard from her, and he had consulted with someone in the district who wasn't even part of the interview process. She called the principal who hired her, the Super, and no one would take her call.

Beyond this being ridicilous, unprofessional, etc. she lost almost 2 weeks of time where she could have applied at other places.

Luckily, she just found another job, but it is a wacky world out there.

At my school, we can't find anyone for our psychological services team. Everyone seems to be leaving the field...

That suuuuucks, but sounds like maybe not the best place to work!

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Don't feel bad about leaving at the last minute. You owe no one any loyalty, even in teaching.
I totally disagree. I teach my students to do what they say they are going to do. No one can honor every commitment, but everyone should feel badly when they fall short.

Reaction Score
I totally disagree. I teach my students to do what they say they are going to do. No one can honor every commitment, but everyone should feel badly when they fall short.

I can't say you're wrong; I think this is maybe just a values difference. Or maybe semantics more than anything. My opinion isn't really about feeling bad or not... that's a secondary concern. It's probably inevitable to feel "bad." It's more "do whatever you can to support your career goals, mental health, and your family financially. Always. Regardless of who is negatively affected."

I got a new job this school year as a quasi-administrator on the teacher contract, but was bumped up to top step for sixth-year. I got a call last Friday from the job I quit six months ago about coming back on a DSAP to be an assistant principal in 2 months. I don't feel "bad" about the move I mad, or potentially quitting a job after 4 months--I will have bumped my salary by 72,000$ in the last 6 months if the DSAP license goes through.

I don't feel "bad" about either. That money means my wife can take a year maternity leave and to finish writing her second book; it means we can finally buy a house despite these god forsaken interest rates, and I can stop driving a car with 200,000 miles. I can travel in the summer without staying in rat-infested dumps. My wife can visit her brothers and sisters down south more than once a year if she wants. I can pay off my student loans.

These are certainly all priveleges the vast majority of people don't have, but I'm not going to avoid pursuing more lucrative opportunities because I might feel bad or be a poor example for kids.

I certainly will miss my coworkers and will do my best to ease the transition to life without me in the building, but I don't feel "bad." It will potentially be awkward as hell, though.

Reaction Score
In my experiences, you will have difficult administrators no matter where you go. I feel that way about my current school - There's one admin who's crazy about curriculum stuff that you mentioned - but I like my colleagues and students so that's why I've stayed here as long as I have. Do what you think will make you happiest!
Great advice.

I'm entering Year 13 in my current school and around Year 10, I was in the "questioning stage". There are definitely issues at my school, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Reaction Score
Update... Met with the first school this afternoon, offered me the job the minute I sat down. We talked for a good hour, got a great tour. When the principal got up and walked away to tend to something, the department head leaned in and said "sorry this took so long, we just had to get the Superintendent to agree to pay you at the correct step". Which is a little vague, but either way the paperwork is starting and her office will call me tomorrow morning to set up a meeting.

I am likely still taking the interview tomorrow at the other school with the Emperor of Curriculum, but I won't feel bad canceling on them at the last minute.

The teacher who called me over the weekend who desperately wanted them to hire me the first time has gone radio silent since her text yesterday saying "slight snafu, I'm on the hiring committee now so I don't feel comfortable giving you the interview questions"... Whatever... That principal has come off as a giant since day 1..

I'll probably still take the interview unless they get me all sealed up tomorrow by lunchtime which I doubt.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Update... Met with the first school this afternoon, offered me the job the minute I sat down. We talked for a good hour, got a great tour. When the principal got up and walked away to tend to something, the department head leaned in and said "sorry this took so long, we just had to get the Superintendent to agree to pay you at the correct step". Which is a little vague, but either way the paperwork is starting and her office will call me tomorrow morning to set up a meeting.

I am likely still taking the interview tomorrow at the other school with the Emperor of Curriculum, but I won't feel bad canceling on them at the last minute.

The teacher who called me over the weekend who desperately wanted them to hire me the first time has gone radio silent since her text yesterday saying "slight snafu, I'm on the hiring committee now so I don't feel comfortable giving you the interview questions"... Whatever... That principal has come off as a giant since day 1..

I'll probably still take the interview unless they get me all sealed up tomorrow by lunchtime which I doubt.
Congratulations! I definitely would take the interview up until the time you have accepted a written offer. But, that’s great news given the financial health of your current employer.

Reaction Score
Final update (I hope)...

School A, which had me in for a "meeting" rather than an interview and immediately offered me the job when I sat down, dragged their feet in getting the Superintendent's office to call with their offer.. So I decided to take that interview with School B.

I will say that School A 100% passed the vibe check, had a great meeting, conversation, and tour. Very positive all around. I was so put off by School B making me re-interview. Full round table - literally the same questions as 2 months ago. I will say that I rocked it (I did last time too) but something just felt off. Maybe it was the distaste for having to go through the whole process again, maybe it was the phone call from the teacher there last weekend who kinda insinuated that the prinicpal needed to be "convinced" to interview me again, or it just simply didn't pass the vibe check.

School A called with their offer - 12k below my current salary. YIKES. I said I cannot accept that offer as it is more than 10k below my current salary. She asked what my current number was, and I said I'd prefer to match that salary but gave another number which was a paycut that would serve as my basement. They called back 2 hours later and accepted my counter offer. Not enough of a paycut to make a difference, but these districts are sooooooooo shady when it comes to money. I am glad they didn't die on their sword over that small amount of money.

Sent in my email declining the meeting with the Super @ School B, and then sent in my resignation at my current school.

Time to celebrate.

Reaction Score
Final update (I hope)...

School A, which had me in for a "meeting" rather than an interview and immediately offered me the job when I sat down, dragged their feet in getting the Superintendent's office to call with their offer.. So I decided to take that interview with School B.

I will say that School A 100% passed the vibe check, had a great meeting, conversation, and tour. Very positive all around. I was so put off by School B making me re-interview. Full round table - literally the same questions as 2 months ago. I will say that I rocked it (I did last time too) but something just felt off. Maybe it was the distaste for having to go through the whole process again, maybe it was the phone call from the teacher there last weekend who kinda insinuated that the prinicpal needed to be "convinced" to interview me again, or it just simply didn't pass the vibe check.

School A called with their offer - 12k below my current salary. YIKES. I said I cannot accept that offer as it is more than 10k below my current salary. She asked what my current number was, and I said I'd prefer to match that salary but gave another number which was a paycut that would serve as my basement. They called back 2 hours later and accepted my counter offer. Not enough of a paycut to make a difference, but these districts are sooooooooo shady when it comes to money. I am glad they didn't die on their sword over that small amount of money.

Sent in my email declining the meeting with the Super @ School B, and then sent in my resignation at my current school.

Time to celebrate.
You were worried that asking for your current salary would be a deal breaker?

Reaction Score
Have any of you experience teacher burnout before? If so, what was it like and what do you think was the cause?

Reaction Score
Have any of you experience teacher burnout before? If so, what was it like and what do you think was the cause?

It's a normal and expected part of teaching (or most jobs, really). I would say I was really really really burnt out the second half of my 4th year. I had a resignation letter written in my desk for months. I hear a lot about burnout from teachers in my role and always remind people of 3 things:

1) Make sure you aren't putting too much on your plate. Learn how to say "no," because people are going to ask for a lot from you whether you like it or not.
2) Self-care. Make time for yourself and for your non-teacher hobbies. Relax at least 2 hours a day.
3) Do not (EVER) answer an email after 4:00pm. Don't even look at it. If I email you at 4:05pm, I am not expecting a response until the next day.
4) Manage your time better. Teachers spend way too much time complaining and doing projects that are cute instead of practical, then wonder why they are so busy.
5) See a therapist once a month and hear from someone who knows a hell of a lot more about this than me.

For me, it was a combination of not feeling supported by admin and being WAY too busy. I had a principal who was the kind of person to stand by the front door and put a letter in your file if you were 5 seconds late (seriously). I was competing in boxing still and training every day, teaching full-time, and coaching 3 sports. I had WAY too much on my plate.

What it was like? I was tired all the time, getting sick, no motivation to see friends or family. I was negative about the kids, admin, my coworkers, the curriculum... everything. My patience was really low in and outside of the classroom. I couldn't find time to lesson plan. It wasn't good.

I moved to a different school with a WAY better administrative team and my career changed completely.

Reaction Score
In my final week of the 2 week's notice. As of this post the principal has yet to acknowledge or have a personal discussion with me. Another administrator gave me the bigtime cold shoulder a week ago when I tried to touch base with her to talk about "where they go from here".. Other than that my colleagues have been amazing, that deep sigh and "I'm so jealous" is so telling.

I took a personal day yesterday, and I am legitimately sick on top of it - assumed it was Covid but tested negative so I'm staying out as well. After how I was treated last week, I considered just taking sick days the whole rest of the way. So the optics / timing of this 3 day vacation is not ideal.

I guess I didn't know what to expect from admin, I've never made a move like this during the year before. I didn't expect a party or anything but a handshake and a discussion would have been just fine.

Reaction Score
In my final week of the 2 week's notice. As of this post the principal has yet to acknowledge or have a personal discussion with me. Another administrator gave me the bigtime cold shoulder a week ago when I tried to touch base with her to talk about "where they go from here".. Other than that my colleagues have been amazing, that deep sigh and "I'm so jealous" is so telling.

I took a personal day yesterday, and I am legitimately sick on top of it - assumed it was Covid but tested negative so I'm staying out as well. After how I was treated last week, I considered just taking sick days the whole rest of the way. So the optics / timing of this 3 day vacation is not ideal.

I guess I didn't know what to expect from admin, I've never made a move like this during the year before. I didn't expect a party or anything but a handshake and a discussion would have been just fine.

It says a lot about your admin being personally upset (and showing it!) after you gave 2 weeks. You know you've made the right decision.

Reaction Score
Curious if other teachers across the board feel this way:

Do you feel like your 'to-dos' have drastically increased this year?

Reaction Score
My son who is an elementary math teacher took a job at another school to be their K~8 Math Coordinator when theirs quit. He took that job 3-4 weeks into this term (gave 2 weeks) because it was a step up in all ways and he couldn’t pass it up. His old school which was smaller was not happy but they told him that they understood completely and wished him well. Every situation is not the same but you gotta do what’s best for your career your family IMO.

crazyUCfan23

Reaction Score
Curious if other teachers across the board feel this way:

Do you feel like your 'to-dos' have drastically increased this year?
100%. In my district, admin expects all teachers to make daily, detailed lesson plans, teach, grade, and assign detentions, referrals etc and then track to make sure they get served. Super unrealistic expectations for the amount of students we all have and limited amount of prep time. Will be searching for a new district for next year.

Reaction Score
100%. In my district, admin expects all teachers to make daily, detailed lesson plans, teach, grade, and assign detentions, referrals etc and then track to make sure they get served. Super unrealistic expectations for the amount of students we all have and limited amount of prep time. Will be searching for a new district for next year.

It's crazy that districts are making teachers write detailed lessons plans in 2022. There's no research with decent methodology that supports it. Teacher retention is my district is abysmal because of this kind of stuff. I've written 3 recommendation letters already for teachers in my department of 24 people!

Reaction Score
It's crazy that districts are making teachers write detailed lessons plans in 2022. There's no research with decent methodology that supports it. Teacher retention is my district is abysmal because of this kind of stuff. I've written 3 recommendation letters already for teachers in my department of 24 people!
I 100% agree. I’m so thankful to teach in a school that doesn’t require daily lesson plans. So much of what I do breathes from what I observe and react to it. Teaching is a living, breathing job and having a scope and sequence of what you’re doing in a unit and throughout a school year is paramount, but the day-to-day part of it is like water.

Reaction Score
I 100% agree. I’m so thankful to teach in a school that doesn’t require daily lesson plans. So much of what I do breathes from what I observe and react to it. Teaching is a living, breathing job and having a scope and sequence of what you’re doing in a unit and throughout a school year is paramount, but the day-to-day part of it is like water.

The district I'm in is super, super into sticking to the scripted curriculum. It's brutal for teachers. To the point where folks are being docked on evals if they don't have the book open in front of them. 13/24 teachers are new because of this crap and the ridiculously demanding assessment schedule. I'm sitting here getting paid 100k to supports these folks (I'm a dean) and thinking "I would never, ever EVER work here as a teacher."

We're basically just hiring a bunch of brand new teachers, beating the snot out of them knowing they're going to quit and rinse and repeat the next year. Our superintendent and curriculum people are hearing this from teachers, department heads, APs and deans like me... they just keep digging their heels in. I genuinely don't see how you can watch over half your department quit year over year (with TERRIBLE test results) and expect that doing the same thing will work.

Compare that to when I was teaching HS in a wealthier town. I did whatever I wanted every day all year, basically. We had a curriculum of different resources, standards, scope and sequence, etc. But I could teach what I wanted based on my strengths and the needs of the kids. If my evaluator walked in there was no script to read. I had my objectives for the day, resources, lesson, etc. and I explained afterward how that fit into the broader curriculum. That's how it should be!!

crazyUCfan23

Reaction Score
I totally agree. My district has a high turnover rate as well. And the district wonders why they have trouble hiring and retaining people...

Reaction Score
2 days into my new school after the big move... Calling it utopia would be very strong, but it is 100% utopia compared to my old school. No tension in the halls all day long, kids are polite, no nonstop F words or N words from kids.. Kids do their work and don't just stare at their phones non-stop (phones are a problem everywhere ugh it's an epidemic). Faculty and staff have been awesome so far, but geez, I can't understate enough how much teaching at my previous school prepared me anything.. So blessed, couldn't be happier!

Reaction Score
100%. In my district, admin expects all teachers to make daily, detailed lesson plans,
I quit my last school because of lesson plans. Ordinarily, I do whatever is asked of me, but in this case I refused because I have a rule against doing stupid crap. The school instituted a new math program which we were required to teach with fdelity, no improvising, no skipping topics, and no supplementing. The lessons came with pre-done lesson plans. During a meeting a new assistant principal told the math teachers we had to write special lesson plans in a format that she wanted. Her rationale was that even though we were provided with lesson plans that matched our content and curriculum, she did not want the other teachers to be upset that we did not have to use her format as they did. I refused and it became an issue. Another math teacher offered to write them for me if I agreed to stay. She stated that the first one she wrote took three hours, but she was able to get it down to an hour once she got the hang of it. During our first meeting the administrator condescendingly remarked about how I had succumbed to her wishes even after my original complaint, basically suggesting that I was all talk. I explained I absolutely did not, and that the other teacher wrote my lesson plans for me because she really wanted me to stay. Within a week I left the school, and they were never able to find a certified math teacher to fill my position. In that case I wouldn’t question who won, but I surely know who lost.

We lead our district in suspensions last year, 2 weeks in…..none so far, we are happy lol
I worked at a school in an urban center in North Carolina. We averaged 36 major referrals per day, I know the number because I was on the committee that handled discipline and my role was to keep track of infractions. That is an average of 36 major referrals, per day, for the year. To put that in perspective, my last school did not have 36 major referrals in the two years I was there. The funny thing is I had one office referral in two years. The procedure was that if you were having a classroom disruption you buzz the office and an administrator would come. The eighth grade principal stated, “The day that you buzz the office, we are sending in a SWAT team. “At a previous school I had a 12 year stretch without missing a school day or writing up a student. However, I personally was in trouble almost daily doing things that if I posted on here, most other teachers wouldn’t believe to be true.

For those writing about cell phones, the one write up I had at the urban school was for a student who would not put away a cell phone and it became an issue. Other than that, I never once had a cell phone issue in all my years of teaching. I did not care what the school rule was, I did not care about anything other than I was not going to let phones disrupt my class. No warnings. No leniency. If I saw a phone, I took the phone. Students knew I was serious. Hence, never had a phone issue. Plus, we did math bell to bell, and sometimes after the bell.

Reaction Score
Tonight tested positive for ‘vid for third time since last December. Felt a cold coming in on Sunday and full aches, chills, fever after dinner tonight.

I haven’t been following the “what to dos” outside of home isolation. What about close contacts, especially those who live with you?

Part of me is “cool, get to ride this out before winter break” but then also there’s so much crap going on where others will have to take the brunt.

Reaction Score
So everyone, what resources do you love using? Especially ones that make your job easier.

I will provide a few, some paid, some free, and some kind of half and half.

Achieve3000
IXL
Khan Academy
Twinkl
Kahoot
Quizizz
Quizlet
Prezi
Schoology
GoFormative

Online statistics

Members online