Taurasi almost with a triple-double, nice game by Griner | The Boneyard

Taurasi almost with a triple-double, nice game by Griner

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UCONNfan1

Diana with 18 points, 9 rebounds, and 8 assists, and a 26 point outburst by Griner. Maybe Phoenix is learning how easy points can be to come by when your center is a giraffe...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
BG is really starting to adapt to the open style of play of the WNBA. She is moving very well and is finishing well around the basket.

DT is the ultimate game manager. There is nothing she can't do.

I can hardly wait to see Taylor return. They are getting better and better.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
ETT, just think how good Griner might have been with some coaching in college.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
ETT, just think how good Griner might have been with some coaching in college.

I'm not sure that's fair. Griner was pretty raw as a freshman since she'd probably dominated with just her height in high school. She came an awful long way in her development in college even if there are still some areas in which she can improve. That's not unusual, btw. Think how much Asjha grew as a pro.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that's fair. Griner was pretty raw as a freshman since she'd probably dominated with just her height in high school. She came an awful long way in her development in college even if there are still some areas in which she can improve. That's not unusual, btw. Think how much Asjha grew as a pro.
Just teasing ETT, Nan. Some was overstatement but I do no think that BG was well coached in college in many fundamentals. Her footwork can still be greatly improved, as well as, her court awareness.

But as to Asjha I don't think she grew very much in skills as a pro but was more revealed for what she could do because there was less to obscure what she was doing. If she and the UCONN she was on went to the pros together she might remained hidden except to those with the best eyes.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Well, then, look at how well Charde Houston has done in the pros. Did she need better coaching in college? ( Now I think I opened a can of worms...)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well, then, look at how well Charde Houston has done in the pros. Did she need better coaching in college? ( Now I think I opened a can of worms...)
Nope, she needed to be in a different system because she was incapable of playing in a disciplined way. I assume her TOs are down in the pros, too, because she isn't, continually, called for traveling.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Won't ipad allow you choose one of the icons that are available when you post a reply?

Brittney did improve significantly while at Baylor. However IMHO she could have used more tough love like Geno provided to Tina Charles. In comparison with Tina Charles, it appears that Brittney was able to coast while at Baylor.

Can't do emoticons on my iPad.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Won't ipad allow you choose one of the icons that are available when you post a reply?

Brittney did improve significantly while at Baylor. However IMHO she could have used more tough love like Geno provided to Tina Charles. In comparison with Tina Charles, it appears that Brittney was able to coast while at Baylor.
Not that I have ever been able to sort out.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Can't do emoticons on my iPad.

It's besides the point but, yeah, you can. Emoticons

I've known you for 10 years and thought you were taking a potshot at Mulkey. How's ETT supposed to know you were kidding?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

I've known you for 10 years and thought you were taking a potshot at Mulkey. How's ETT supposed to know you were kidding?

You're right I can use the old forms and I do some of the time. Frankly, whether teasing or mocking is irrelevant. Since there is plenty of mocking that goes on around here including by you. I was, however, in this case just teasing which I have done before with ETT.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
How can someone tell the difference between teasing and mocking?

There has been a few unkind things said by the other party, and certainly not teasing in any way. At the beginning of the season, any attempt to reign in expectations no matter how worded was met with some unpleasent comments.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Diana with 18 points, 9 rebounds, and 8 assists, and a 26 point outburst by Griner. Maybe Phoenix is learning how easy points can be to come by when your center is a giraffe...

Yea...after that disasterous 3rd quarter, it was great to see the Taurasi/Griner show take off and run.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I actually have Icebear on my "Ignore" list so I wouldn't have seen the comment had I not chosen to log out and read the comment since others were commenting on it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
pbbfffttt, 10 years. ice is such a newbie. :cool:

How long have you been around? I think you had a different handle on a previous incarnation of the Boneyard.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
How long have you been around? I think you had a different handle on a previous incarnation of the Boneyard.
Could have been jdmeyers, jdmeyers7, meyers77, 7meyers7????, but was always something like meyers. I have been around through a few incarnations. I think I remember some board linked from the Courant?? Had to be back in the late 90's (97,98? before I switched jobs - actually maybe even earlier could have been the 95 or 96 season?, I can't remember that far back)??

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Anyway getting back to Griner and Dee - It was a great game by Dee. I think the score was closer than it should have been - Phx gave up a 10 point and actually were down a bit (not a lot) in the 3rd quarter at least. It was a tight game. But it was great to see them find Griner.

I'm not sure I can find too much to pick at regarding Mulkey's coaching of Griner - she was pretty raw coming in and while she had height and nice ball handling skills, she had a lot to learn. Could she have been taught more? Maybe. But Mulkey was able to win 1 NC with her, and while many feel that was an underachievement, I do think some of that goes to the supporting cast being over rated.

Of the remaining 4 seniors (Pope, Hayden, Williams, Madden), only Pope was drafted, and she was cut. So while certainly competent, the supporting staff was not as good as people may have thought.

Anyhoo... it's great to see Griner have a really solid game. Maybe she's turned the corner? I did think she would struggle her first year given I believe she needs to get stronger and learn to do a bit better on court awareness and positioning since she can't just rely on her 6'8" height alone as much as she could in college. But Phx needs her to be competent and good, and she's already at that level. I think she has a pretty high ceiling given how much i think she can continue to improve, and working with Dee is the perfect place for her IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom