Tamika Catchings and Geno Auriemma ... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tamika Catchings and Geno Auriemma ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
No where in that comment did he say Candace was not a good teammate. He is simply saying Catchings is a great teammate. Drink the blue kool aid if you will, but those closer to the situation know that Catchings wants more minutes, but she has "accepted" her role and not happily either. This is nothing but a spin piece.
Not sure where you are coming from, except it's more orange kool aid, but he flat out wrote "there's something to be said for the value of being a great teammate" when specifically discussing Parker vs. Catchings making the team. If you see the conclusion of what he said (there was NO reason for him to draw the difference between the 2 - NONE), then there's no point in even discussing it. The fact that a non-UCONN reporter is making comments comparing Catch's "being a great teammate" as one reason why she was chosen over Parker speaks volumes.

As for Catch being disappointed or whatever at taking a lesser role, she was replaced as the starter on Team USA years ago by Maya Moore at least in 2012 for the Olympics and possibly earlier (I think their PT was pretty even in the 2010 WC's in Prague). So Catch hasn't been a starter for a while. She's been "accepting her lesser role" for at least 6 years now.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It could have been Moe, Larry, and Curly vying for that final spot with Candace. Bottom line is if Geno wanted her on the team, she'd be there.
There it is again - the misconception out there that Geno actually selects the team. It's been pretty well noted that Parker lost out by a 2-3 vote in favor of another player. Since there were 5 people on the committee, I don't see where Geno had a vote. It wasn't 4-2 or 3-3 vote...
It's right if you want a player that knows they should be on the court, but will sit there and go along with the program of making sure UConn players get all the shine. I would imagine Candace knows she's too good to be playing back up to any of them. She should be on the team and she should be starting.
This is such sour grapes that I'm actually surprised you bother coming over here. If that's really how you feel, then you really should limit your basketball forum experience to VolNation or the Summitt.

Haven't seen the final stats for MPG but I have to imagine Stewie is receiving the least minutes. If you've actually watched any of the games objectively, it's easy to see the best players on the team, in no particular order, have been Dee, Maya, Brit, Sue and Tina. And the MPG for the rest of the players has been fairly even with most everyone getting at least 10 MPG and no one really getting over 25 MPG. The rest of the subs have all played amazingly at times as well so it's also pretty easy to see why they are all on the team - Siemone's a starter now, EDD, Sylvia, Lindsay and Angel have all been terrific and Stewie and Catch have impacted in their own way when they got in.

I can't speak to what Parker may or may not know, and maybe she does "feel she's too good". Maybe that's one of the reasons she's not on the team. Your words of course, not mine.

Reaction Score
It could have been Moe, Larry, and Curly vying for that final spot with Candace. Bottom line is if Geno wanted her on the team, she'd be there.
When Holly becomes the best ever coach :rolleyes:, and is thus selected to head the Olympic team, she can then veto all UConn players by telling the committee how to vote.

As Lou Holtz once said, Never tell your problems to anyone: 20% don't care, and the other 80% are glad you have them.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
He may have wanted 14 players, but there are only 12 slots.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Sylvia, Seimone, and Angel played well, but I'd include Diana and Maya in the group.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It's right if you want a player that knows they should be on the court, but will sit there and go along with the program of making sure UConn players get all the shine. I would imagine Candace knows she's too good to be playing back up to any of them. She should be on the team and she should be starting.
If she thinks she's too good to be playing backup, she doesn't belong on the team. It's a TEAM game. There is no room for egos.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
No where in that comment did he say Candace was not a good teammate. He is simply saying Catchings is a great teammate. Drink the blue kool aid if you will, but those closer to the situation know that Catchings wants more minutes, but she has "accepted" her role and not happily either. This is nothing but a spin piece.

Ahem. "Those closer to the situation"? You have inside sources to confirm this?

Reaction Score
Tennessee fans sound like teenagers because they keep complaining over and over about Parker not on the team and as parents we tell them to just let it go! But the real reason for the complaining is Geno and Uconn has supplanted Pat and Tennessee as the No.1 Coach and Program in WCBB History! Since 2000 Huskies 10 NCs vs 2 for The Vols. That includes 3 of the 4 times they have beaten Tennessee for the National Championship! It is time to let it go!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Tennessee fans sound like teenagers because they keep complaining over and over about Parker not on the team and as parents we tell them to just let it go! But the real reason for the complaining is Geno and Uconn has supplanted Pat and Tennessee as the No.1 Coach and Program in WCBB History! Since 2000 Huskies 10 NCs vs 2 for The Vols. That includes 3 of the 4 times they have beaten Tennessee for the National Championship! It is time to let it go!
angif-hit-the-nail-on-the-head.gif

Reaction Score

It's quite likely that there were more than 12 players that Geno wanted on the team and made those names known to the committee. No matter how many times some insist it was his decision, the only fact we know is that USA basketball gave the final say to the committee and it was they that kept Parker off the team. However "those in the know" are convinced that USAB lied.

There are some who promote a theory that Parker is loved throughout wbb with the sole exception being Geno,whom they "know for a fact"* hates her. That "theory" breaks down quickly if anyone but Geno was responsible for Parker's absence from the team. In their reality only Geno fails to recognize the absolute dominance Parker has over the rest of the world of WBB.

* "knowing for a fact" in the eyes of those who "believe by faith" requires no evidence.

Head bang

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You know I was going to walk you through all the facts that show just how silly this statement is and ask for your source for any statements to the contrary. That usually causes trolls to put their tails between their legs and move on. I actually had typed it out and was about to hit send and then I realized that I'd rather not bother and just celebrate a great Olympics for the USWBBT. Just outstanding and unselfish play. They played the game the way it ought to be played, with beautiful ball movement and record assists.

I realize that some people are never quite so happy as when they are complaining about something. I'll leave you to that while I bask in the glow of the outstanding basketball these women played. I hope you've enjoy your sulking as much I've enjoyed the games.

Thank you for your interest in US Woman's Basketball Olympic Team.

Reaction Score
I felt bad for Tamika Catchings as her minutes were almost nonexistent! I guess we can put to bed the Stewie or EDD took Parker's spot on the roster. Tamika Catchings was the last choice on the roster! Geno and Tamika understood that her playing time was going to be minimal! But she took what cards she was dealt and made the best of it! And she was a class act through the medal ceremony! She was crying tears of joy the whole time! She loved the whole Olympic experience!

Reaction Score
Such hatred. It must be tough for you if the only outlet you have is to troll a UConn board. Of course if this is true:
No, it's not. My life is quite delightful.
...then I guess that is all that your life is.

I suspect that next you'll yell for all of us to get off your lawn...

Reaction Score
I felt bad for Tamika Catchings as her minutes were almost nonexistent! I guess we can put to bed the Stewie or EDD took Parker's spot on the roster. Tamika Catchings was the last choice on the roster! Geno and Tamika understood that her playing time was going to be minimal! But she took what cards she was dealt and made the best of it! And she was a class act through the medal ceremony! She was crying tears of joy the whole time! She loved the whole Olympic experience!

It could also be that Catchings was never on the roster for the minutes she was going to play, but instead for her qualities as a teammate, her work ethic in practice, her ability to mentor the younger players, all the qualities that USA basketball wants to have passed along to the next generation of greatness. A lot of what goes into making a great program takes place where we fans don't see it, and I am certain that Tamika Catchings excels at all the little things that make the difference between a bunch of really good players and one really great team.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
About 3 years ago John Altavella wrote an article in the COURANT that at the end asked the question "by the way name the two WNBA players that are the most disliked by their own team mates?" The next day the answer was Candice Parker and Skylar Diggins!
To paraphrase as Sparky Lyle said about Reggie Jackson, "There's not enough mustard to cover those hot dogs!"
That says a lot about exactly nothing! 3 years ago (2013) CP was the WNBA MVP, and Skylar had not completed her first WNBA season. Regardless of what teammates thought of them, those teammates were not involved in the 2016 Olympic team decision. This is clearly an attempt to extend the shade to CP and Skylar, in a thread intended to Big Up Catch-shameful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom