Tamika Catchings and Geno Auriemma ... | The Boneyard

Tamika Catchings and Geno Auriemma ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I remember some of Geno's comments about Tamika when they were in Philly in 2000 around the time of that final four.
[LadyVol over Rutgers and UConn over Penn State in the semis...UConn blowing out Tenn. in the finals...with Schumacher getting '10'
blocks]. I believe that Tamika was getting some very high award....maybe National POY. Geno's praise for her was off the charts....I think at one point he said if there was one player he had always wanted to coach that he hadn't...it was her. Well...he now has had that chance and it sure sounds as if he wouldn't retract a single thing he said in Philly.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"She's been an essential part of the U.S. international effort for years, so while some would argue that Candace Parker was a better choice to make the team than Catchings, there's something to be said for the value of being a great teammate."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"She's been an essential part of the U.S. international effort for years, so while some would argue that Candace Parker was a better choice to make the team than Catchings, there's something to be said for the value of being a great teammate."

Thank God Geno did not say that! That was the article writer.

Tamika has absolutely floored me with the efficiency of the few minutes she gets, but she has always be that way. What way: Ready. Just ready. What a class, class act.

The lessons about the men's game are there too. It boils down to something we already new. Int'l ball is basketball and the NBA is flash, slash entertainment. 9 of the NBAers were in the stands for Japan. I can hear the talk between two of them right now: "Man, what was that! If I had people do that for me I'd score 16 more points a game." 2d guy, dryly: "That was a screen. One of those things you've never set."

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I remember some of Geno's comments about Tamika when they were in Philly in 2000 around the time of that final four.
[LadyVol over Rutgers and UConn over Penn State in the semis...UConn blowing out Tenn. in the finals...with Schumacher getting '10'
blocks]
. I believe that Tamika was getting some very high award....maybe National POY. Geno's praise for her was off the charts....I think at one point he said if there was one player he had always wanted to coach that he hadn't...it was her. Well...he now has had that chance and it sure sounds as if he wouldn't retract a single thing he said in Philly.

Thank you for saying 10 even though it was 9... we all know she got robbed on that last one.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
From Catch, on the men compared to the women and international teams:

"With our men, there's a lot of one-on-one. Get the ball to one person, then you watch him, and if he gets in trouble, he passes it to the next person. (The international teams) play so well. They move. They're like us (the women's team): We move, we pass, we cut, we screen for each other and help each other out."

Reaction Score
Gotta hand it to you. In a blog originating in New England, to cite a Bob Kravitz article positively takes really big stones. (Is a great article, but won't catch me admitting it....)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
LOVED that quote from the article. Here's the full comment from the writer:

"That's what this is all about now for Catchings, who is the oldest player on the team. One more gold medal, one final goodbye. She's been an essential part of the U.S. international effort for years, so while some would argue that Candace Parker was a better choice to make the team than Catchings, there's something to be said for the value of being a great teammate".

The LVol fans and some others went bonkers when this was alluded to at the time of Candace's initial exclusion as one of the reasons. So glad to see it being addressed, even tangentially (with no direct quotes from anyone). I wonder what the writer's (Bob Kravitz) sources are??!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The lessons about the men's game are there too. It boils down to something we already new. Int'l ball is basketball and the NBA is flash, slash entertainment. 9 of the NBAers were in the stands for Japan. I can hear the talk between two of them right now: "Man, what was that! If I had people do that for me I'd score 16 more points a game." 2d guy, dryly: "That was a screen. One of those things you've never set."
0.jpg

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have also wondered if the final spot came down to Catchings vs Parker. If that was the case, they made the right decision.
Always thought the choices were EDD, Catchings, and Parker - pick two of three. Stewart was always part of the plan as the 'rookie' that USA always includes, and Fowles, Griner, and Charles were always the centers the team needed to deal with the interior. The rest of the team were the wings/guards to defend the there point line. EDD was chosen for offense, and Catchings for defense and leadership - end of story.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
LOVED that quote from the article. Here's the full comment from the writer:

"That's what this is all about now for Catchings, who is the oldest player on the team. One more gold medal, one final goodbye. She's been an essential part of the U.S. international effort for years, so while some would argue that Candace Parker was a better choice to make the team than Catchings, there's something to be said for the value of being a great teammate".

The LVol fans and some others went bonkers when this was alluded to at the time of Candace's initial exclusion as one of the reasons. So glad to see it being addressed, even tangentially (with no direct quotes from anyone). I wonder what the writer's (Bob Kravitz) sources are??!

No where in that comment did he say Candace was not a good teammate. He is simply saying Catchings is a great teammate. Drink the blue kool aid if you will, but those closer to the situation know that Catchings wants more minutes, but she has "accepted" her role and not happily either. This is nothing but a spin piece.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Always thought the choices were EDD, Catchings, and Parker - pick two of three. Stewart was always part of the plan as the 'rookie' that USA always includes, and Fowles, Griner, and Charles were always the centers the team needed to deal with the interior. The rest of the team were the wings/guards to defend the there point line. EDD was chosen for offense, and Catchings for defense and leadership - end of story.

It could have been Moe, Larry, and Curly vying for that final spot with Candace. Bottom line is if Geno wanted her on the team, she'd be there.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
I have also wondered if the final spot came down to Catchings vs Parker. If that was the case, they made the right decision.

It's right if you want a player that knows they should be on the court, but will sit there and go along with the program of making sure UConn players get all the shine. I would imagine Candace knows she's too good to be playing back up to any of them. She should be on the team and she should be starting.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No where in that comment did he say Candace was not a good teammate. He is simply saying Catchings is a great teammate. Drink the blue kool aid if you will, but those closer to the situation know that Catchings wants more minutes, but she has "accepted" her role and not happily either. This is nothing but a spin piece.
Just like your trying to spin us. So which player on the team wants less minutes?

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
It's right if you want a player that knows they should be on the court, but will sit there and go along with the program of making sure UConn players get all the shine. I would imagine Candace knows she's too good to be playing back up to any of them. She should be on the team and she should be starting.

Tough to be a Lady Vols fan these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc