Taliek Brown Joining Staff | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Taliek Brown Joining Staff

Reaction Score
You can’t be serious @Huskybass. Coach Calhoun last season at the helm he went 20-14 with a roster consisted of Drummond, Lamb, Napier, Oriakhi, Roscoe Smith, DeAndre Daniels, Niels Giffey, Tyler Olander Enosch Wolf. Coach Calhoun left the team banned from postseason play. The team also lost one scholarship, reduced from 13 to 12, and was restricted in other recruiting activities. Minus Drummond, Lamb, Oriakhi and Roscoe Smith, Kevin Ollie went 20-10 in his first season at the helm. In 2013-2014 coach Ollie went 32-8. One year after being banned from postseason play for sanctions, the Huskies defeated Villanova, Michigan State and the Florida Gators in the national semifinal round and the Kentucky Wildcats in the 2014 National Championship Game. They were only 2 players that received playing time consistently under Coach Calhoun and that was Napier and Boatright. Hurley’s team this season can be as good as the 2013-2014 team. I expect a minimum of 23 wins this season. Anything less is a failure.

37BDDBCD-CF09-4C8F-A6BC-89E88F06298A.gif

What?

Reaction Score
He would probably be better than our last coach. You know, the one who keeps getting associated with the words "victim" and "entitled". At least Taliek smiles (not a crying puss face) and displays a positive attitude. (isn't just a regurgitator of cute catch phrases)

Yeah this post was really needed huh? Maybe a private messaging celebration for you and bass is overdue?

200w.gif

So you know Taliek's not a "coach' never mind a head coach.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, I do. Do you know that you have a hard time keeping up with a conversation?

No explain please. You went out of your way to throw KO under that bus of yours that have left tracks for year now, what was different about this one Paesy? Oh I did get that you think he could have done a better job than KO probably but even you can't be that stupid so I thought maybe you were confused with the position he was hired for.

KO blows...Rinse, repeat.

Reaction Score
It was either Calhoun's coach at AIC, or the AD, who once told me Taliek Brown = JC when he played college ball. I'm told JC defended like a swarm of bees. That's the way I remember Taliek.

I can honestly see him coaching UConn some day.

I played against JC when he was at AIC and later after I graduated scouted AIC while he was still there. He was a ferocious defender and rebounder (no surprise). He also had (or still has) rabbit ears, he was very susceptible to being riled up and taken off his game, a tendency he overcame as a coach as he never lost his cool:)

Reaction Score
So much of the back and forth in this thread talks about win-loss records, and recalls players mostly as mere names. Close your eyes a moment and reimagine the games you saw during the last two years (and even the two prior if you like). I submit that you did not see much memorable and well-played basketball. I don't know if that adds up to much or not, but I do think it's worth mentioning.

I am hopeful for much more enjoyably watchable basketball in the coming season.
Bingo. It seems like the vibes are actually good again.

I don’t think it can be understated how bad the body language of this team looked in the second half of the season. I fully expect Hurley to get this team playing to it’s potential. However many wins that adds up to be, I’m excited for it.

Reaction Score
I played against JC when he was at AIC and later after I graduated scouted AIC while he was still there. He was a ferocious defender and rebounder (no surprise). He also had (or still has) rabbit ears, he was very susceptible to being riled up and taken off his game, a tendency he overcame as a coach as he never lost his cool:)

That's amazing! I'd tell tell that story to every single person I met if I were in your shoes. Multiple times per day, haha

Reaction Score
Khalid was the most natural leader ever to play for UConn. The team had a different swagger when he was on the floor. Kemba was right behind him but only as a Jr.
Having said that being any kind of player is meaningless in the coaching field as it’s the guys who are the exceptional students of the game who usually have the most successful careers.

Reaction Score
Bingo. It seems like the vibes are actually good again.

I don’t think it can be understated how bad the body language of this team looked in the second half of the season. I fully expect Hurley to get this team playing to it’s potential. However many wins that adds up to be, I’m excited for it.
The season ended on Jan 25th last year.
This team should be very good
Experienced and talented guards with an somewhat experienced front court is something we’ve lacked.
It’s 2019-20 that’s a bigger concern
Counting on Gilbert and an untested unknown freshman to lead that team is my biggest concern.
A Freshman PG was needed this year. Gilbert’s miraculous recovery or hitting lotto with a recruit is rolling the dice.
I see 23 wins a possibility this year
A drop off the following year unless Gilbert is 100%
and depending on the 19/20 recruiting class a real good team in 20-21.

Reaction Score
That's amazing! I'd tell tell that story to every single person I met if I were in your shoes. Multiple times per day, haha

The full story is, when I scouted AIC in JC's senior year, I again noted his tendency to be taken off his game. I suggested that our home crowd get on him every time he touched the ball, which they (about 1,500 of them) did, chanting "Calhoun Calhoun" during warmups and during the first half on every JC ball touch. JC did indeed lose his concentration and picked up four fouls in first half, fouled out early in second half, and I'm feeling pretty good, my suggestion worked - almost. A kid named Sal Salari comes off the bench to replace JC and throws in like 50 points, the coach (who was my brother) looks over at me at gives me the WTF look, I tell him you didn't ask me to scout the entire team, I gave you a path to get JC off the court, make an adjustment, which we did, and still managed to lose by around 6 points. Totally true story.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Khalid was the most natural leader ever to play for UConn. The team had a different swagger when he was on the floor. Kemba was right behind him but only as a Jr.
Having said that being any kind of player is meaningless in the coaching field as it’s the guys who are the exceptional students of the game who usually have the most successful careers.

AJP was up there too as a leader. Injuries are the only thing that's stopping him from being named in the top group of UCONN pgs.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You can’t be serious @Huskybass. Coach Calhoun last season at the helm he went 20-14 with a roster consisted of Drummond, Lamb, Napier, Oriakhi, Roscoe Smith, DeAndre Daniels, Niels Giffey, Tyler Olander Enosch Wolf. Coach Calhoun left the team banned from postseason play. The team also lost one scholarship, reduced from 13 to 12, and was restricted in other recruiting activities. Minus Drummond, Lamb, Oriakhi and Roscoe Smith, Kevin Ollie went 20-10 in his first season at the helm. In 2013-2014 coach Ollie went 32-8. One year after being banned from postseason play for sanctions, the Huskies defeated Villanova, Michigan State and the Florida Gators in the national semifinal round and the Kentucky Wildcats in the 2014 National Championship Game. They were only 2 players that received playing time consistently under Coach Calhoun and that was Napier and Boatright. Hurley’s team this season can be as good as the 2013-2014 team. I expect a minimum of 23 wins this season. Anything less is a failure.
Jav - don't waste your breath or your time
Don't know what he said but the reaction of some tells me it's run of the mill for him and the ilk

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom