Syracuse self imposes one year ban for THIS season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Syracuse self imposes one year ban for THIS season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How can there be a plea deal when the NCAA hasn't ruled on the violations. Doesn't the NCAA have to dole out the punishment?

Reaction Score
uconngb said:
Please, please tell me this can't happen..... Here's a quote from their press release: Syracuse initiated the investigation when it self-reported possible infractions to the NCAA in 2007. According to the school, "Much of the conduct involved in the case occurred long ago, and none occurred after 2012. No current student-athlete is involved." So they spend 7 years investigating, wait until they suck, and then self-impose a ban for this year with a month to go in the season? From the category of you can't make this up.....and I assume there are good odds that they will get away with this, right?

So if I read this correctly, they initiated the investigation in 2007, then proceeded to continue breaking rules while they were investigating. Sounds wonderful.

Reaction Score
the timing of this is so disingenuous. it tells you all you need to know about that program. that program, that coach, the way they continuously their players under the bus....... simply reeks. they and their 1 title(olander has 2) are dead to me.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Bilas is saying this is basically a plea deal worked out with the NCAA.

If so, then there'd be nothing more.
Eh, I just think the school wants to get out ahead of the bad news coming. Hopefully there is more to come.

Reaction Score

I'm not buying it. Bills is a good analyst, but he doesn't have many sources on these types of matters.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
So if I read this correctly, they initiated the investigation in 2007, then proceeded to continue breaking rules while they were investigating. Sounds wonderful.
It's a process.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
They will tack on more punishment. They have to account for UNC's discretions and any discretions UK might have in the future.

Reaction Score
Do we even know what it is truly for yet? There were leaks left and right during our investigation. How is this being kept so close to the vest? Congrats to boeheim for being banned from double the amount of tourneys he has won though.

caw

Reaction Score
They really screwed over Rakeem Christmas in this scenario. Him being the sole senior. Assuming the NCAA didn't dictate this. Of course if the NCAA gives them two years this is just an attempt at face-saving.

Next question I have is how soon does Boehiem get the Calhoun treatment. He now has two postseason bans on his record. Is there a coach at one school with more?

caw

Reaction Score
Do we even know what it is truly for yet? There were leaks left and right during our investigation. How is this being kept so close to the vest? Congrats to boeheim for being banned from double the amount of tourneys he has won though.

Most of the leaks were because UConn is a public school and many were not accurate even with that.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Cuse is trying to prevent transfers with this move.

Reaction Score
caw said:
Most of the leaks were because UConn is a public school and many were not accurate even with that.

Thanks. Had a feeling there had to be a better answer than Emmert getting drunk and bragging about it to to Greg doyel over martinis.

I don't even remember what was true or false anymore. Such a lousy time for the program.

Reaction Score
They're banned from the ACC Tournament too. Funny how nobody here is whining about how unfair this is. Yet when we were banned from the Big East Tournament because of our NCAA Tournament ban, that was so horrible. LOL.

Reaction Score

If this is true, shame on the NCAA the blood sucking pieces of shat. Shame on the Cuse. I hope we ride them on this for years the way the rode us. Cheaters.
Uconn is the example of what happens when a school is honest. Other schools take notice.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
They're banned from the ACC Tournament too. Funny how nobody here is whining about how unfair this is. Yet when we were banned from the Big East Tournament because of our NCAA Tournament ban, that was so horrible. LOL.
Our league didn't stick up for us after we lost scholarships in addition to a double jeopardy ban. It was the leagues choice to follow suit, and was a joke.

Reaction Score
I will give Syracuse message boards mods credit that you have to be a member to look at any threads discussing the ban. Our board would be full of trolls kicking our teeth in with no lifeboat from the higher ups.

Reaction Score

I don't get the joke. Why would we care if they are banned from their tournament? I hate, HATE Cuse.

You have a weird sense of humor.

caw

Reaction Score

The difference is that apparently they are being banned for violations they have known about for 7 years. Rules and punishments that were in place for awhile now. Also they self imposed the ban.

UConn was banned based on a change in rules punishment and the BET ban was forced on UConn by the league.

Huge difference.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Banning yourselves for the current year when you know you aren't doing anything in the tourney anyway is a joke. Real punishment is being banned NEXT season because that hurts recruiting. Banning yourselves in the current year only hurts the kids on the team but doesn't punish the school.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The difference is that apparently they are being banned for violations they have known about for 7 years. Rules and punishments that were in place for awhile now. Also they self imposed the ban.

UConn was banned based on a change in rules punishment and the BET ban was forced on UConn by the league.

Huge difference.
UConn had a vote in the rule change that led to the BET ban being imposed on us, and judging by the fact that it passed unanimously, evidently voted for it themselves. I said back when the Big East passed that rule that it was a good rule but I didn't want to see them going and granting a waiver to Syracuse when they were inevitably banned. Well, 'Cuse is not in the Big East anymore, and neither are we (though I believe that rule along with everything else Big East except the name carries over to the AAC) but I'm glad to see it being applied to them too. The merits of our ban versus theirs are another issue, but the Big East didn't issue our postseason ban, and made the right decision in making the rule change. Think about it - there's a decent chance SMU gets a postseason ban before the tournament starts, self-imposed or otherwise. They're probably getting one eventually, it's a matter of when rather than if. Suffice it to say, either this year or next, SMU will probably be banned from the postseason. Imagine if they were allowed to participate in, and win, the AAC Tournament. At this point, it's highly unlikely we're going to the NCAA Tournament unless we win the conference tournament. Considering how the selection committee hated The American last year and will hate them even more now that Louisville's gone, it's possible the same will be true next year even if we have a better season. Imagine if SMU were postseason banned and we faced them, and lost, in the AAC Title Game, costing us a tournament berth. Would that be fair? Of course not. We'd all be complaining about it, and justifiably so.

Postseason bans should include conference tournaments. When you allow the conference to determine the merits of the postseason ban, you start up a very slippery slope that I don't particularly want to get into. And it could also cost a team a spot in the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom