Syracuse self imposes one year ban for THIS season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Syracuse self imposes one year ban for THIS season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cuse is trying to prevent transfers with this move.
Not really, I think they're just trying to sell this low season when they're not that good. If anything, they're hoping for a couple under-performers to transfer. Look up Ron Patterson and BJ Johnson.

Reaction Score
And I love how they claim the last year this was going on was miraculously the season before they went to a Final Four.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
How can the NCAA allow a team to make this self imposed penalty during a season?
I can't believe that they are going to let this stand
If it does- UConn should do something legally against the NCAA - who made this decision, Eric Holder????
This decision, if it stands, my anger will far surpasses the anger I hold at the UConn mens BB performance this year.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Looks like the Syracuse-educated higher ups at the ESPN machine are instructing Dino Gaudio to tread lightly on this topic during this halftime show. Gaudio is crying how it's not fair to current players to be banned from the postseason for actions committed before they even got to campus.

Where was he two years ago when everyone was crucifying us and saying the (retroactive) ban was just? Or is the ban just a problem because the personnel at ESPN, who all attended Syracuse, are now witnessing it happen to their beloved team?

Reaction Score
I won't complain about the ban too much, Bazz used it effectively and publicly.

Reaction Score
Not really, I think they're just trying to sell this low season when they're not that good. If anything, they're hoping for a couple under-performers to transfer. Look up Ron Patterson and BJ Johnson.
Maybe there are some legs to that 2-year ban thing, and they are hoping they can make one of those years this one. That still stings if 2016 is a lost year, but not nearly as bad as if the years were 2016 and 2017, and they missed the tourny this year anyway.

Reaction Score
Nice try Cuse but the NCAA almost always more severe penalties than the self imposed kind.

caw

Reaction Score
UConn had a vote in the rule change that led to the BET ban being imposed on us, and judging by the fact that it passed unanimously, evidently voted for it themselves. I said back when the Big East passed that rule that it was a good rule but I didn't want to see them going and granting a waiver to Syracuse when they were inevitably banned. Well, 'Cuse is not in the Big East anymore, and neither are we (though I believe that rule along with everything else Big East except the name carries over to the AAC) but I'm glad to see it being applied to them too. The merits of our ban versus theirs are another issue, but the Big East didn't issue our postseason ban, and made the right decision in making the rule change. Think about it - there's a decent chance SMU gets a postseason ban before the tournament starts, self-imposed or otherwise. They're probably getting one eventually, it's a matter of when rather than if. Suffice it to say, either this year or next, SMU will probably be banned from the postseason. Imagine if they were allowed to participate in, and win, the AAC Tournament. At this point, it's highly unlikely we're going to the NCAA Tournament unless we win the conference tournament. Considering how the selection committee hated The American last year and will hate them even more now that Louisville's gone, it's possible the same will be true next year even if we have a better season. Imagine if SMU were postseason banned and we faced them, and lost, in the AAC Title Game, costing us a tournament berth. Would that be fair? Of course not. We'd all be complaining about it, and justifiably so.

Postseason bans should include conference tournaments. When you allow the conference to determine the merits of the postseason ban, you start up a very slippery slope that I don't particularly want to get into. And it could also cost a team a spot in the tournament.

Ummm, still widely different having it enforced by the conference and self imposing it. A lot of the angst was due to the other part of my post, the events surrounding the conference tournament bans must be considered in how people react/ed to the two.

Reaction Score
Boeheim has a big class coming in for next year so it's very transparent for him to do this and try and protect that class. The NCAA has to call him on this and ban them next year too because aside from a couple seniors this is hardly any punishment.

Reaction Score
Boeheim has a big class coming in for next year so it's very transparent for him to do this and try and protect that class. The NCAA has to call him on this and ban them next year too because aside from a couple seniors this is hardly any punishment.
I'm not sure they ultimately deserve 2 years in a vacuum, but your point is right. If this is the only punishment, it is no punishment, because the team wasn't making the tournament and so the program doesn't feel the stink they deserve...the stink we felt leading up to and after the ridiculous APR ban.

Reaction Score
There was talk on their board last week according to some here about a 2 year ban. Anyone have any info on what they are saying? I was kicked off recently.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can we self-impose a ban for this season, and then go break some recruiting rules?
handing_money.jpg

"Yeah it is not a problem at all son. We got a get out jail free card."

We'd be a lock for the SEC....

Reaction Score
UConn had a vote in the rule change that led to the BET ban being imposed on us, and judging by the fact that it passed unanimously, evidently voted for it themselves. I said back when the Big East passed that rule that it was a good rule but I didn't want to see them going and granting a waiver to Syracuse when they were inevitably banned. Well, 'Cuse is not in the Big East anymore, and neither are we (though I believe that rule along with everything else Big East except the name carries over to the AAC) but I'm glad to see it being applied to them too. The merits of our ban versus theirs are another issue, but the Big East didn't issue our postseason ban, and made the right decision in making the rule change. Think about it - there's a decent chance SMU gets a postseason ban before the tournament starts, self-imposed or otherwise. They're probably getting one eventually, it's a matter of when rather than if. Suffice it to say, either this year or next, SMU will probably be banned from the postseason. Imagine if they were allowed to participate in, and win, the AAC Tournament. At this point, it's highly unlikely we're going to the NCAA Tournament unless we win the conference tournament. Considering how the selection committee hated The American last year and will hate them even more now that Louisville's gone, it's possible the same will be true next year even if we have a better season. Imagine if SMU were postseason banned and we faced them, and lost, in the AAC Title Game, costing us a tournament berth. Would that be fair? Of course not. We'd all be complaining about it, and justifiably so.

Postseason bans should include conference tournaments. When you allow the conference to determine the merits of the postseason ban, you start up a very slippery slope that I don't particularly want to get into. And it could also cost a team a spot in the tournament.
In 2013, I felt that they easiest way for a team to not feel jipped about that was to beat us. I still feel that way if it's SMU in that position.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This isn't final. NCAA may tack on an additional year to the ban, and vacated wins & scholarship losses look likely at this point.
If it's just one, Syracuse will have gotten off easy.

Reaction Score
*shrug*

what did you guys expect? They're P5 now. It's not the same standards and we've known that, so we may as well just worry about our own team. And I'm not trying to take the high road or anything, either.

Their championship drought continues.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if the NCAA doesn't tack on an additional year or years. They aren't getting away with self-imposing a ban on a lost season. Well, on second thought, this is the NCAA I'm talking about. It wouldn't surprise me to see UCONN have to serve the Fruit's penalty.

Reaction Score
Do you know what the violations were?

I would check the Syracuse Board part you guys set up about it, but I was banned on your board for posting HERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom