Syracuse Postgame Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Syracuse Postgame Thread

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the idea of "because teams haven't seen it" is a debatable topic. Most kids in America (unfortunately) grow up with 2-3 zone. It's easy to teach. Here in Alaska, nobody plays man-to-man. (til I do next season) Remember how Arkansas torched us off the dribble. It's partly because young players don't know man-to-man fundamentals. An absolute tribute to all concerned at UConn that they developed defensively over the course of the season.
I think what seems to be hard for kids is the art of flashing to the middle, getting the ball there, and making good decisions from the middle. I think next year I am going to concentrate heavily on those skills. 1) the timely cuts to the gaps 2) pivoting, especially toward the basket, hi-low 3) wings relocating to openings for jumpers, defense loses track of them 4) skip passes. I had a player last year that was really good at cutting to those gaps and making plays. He missed that shot a lot though.
Most zones have two weak areas - foul line and short corner - they are the borders of two of the zones, and stress either/both the perimeter and the restricted area near the basket. Whatever has happened in HS, most top end college teams don't play a lot of zone so college teams don't have as much experience attacking a zone, and a lot really struggle doing more than trying to shoot over the top of it.

Syracuse zone also made Christyn's driving and cutting game less effective than it has been recently. It also makes standard screening offense less effective.

And Uconn's zone last night was very effective at stopping Cardoso's offensive onslaught. Syracuse had a hard time just getting the ball into her hands once Uconn went primarily zone.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Despite the near- perfect game that UCONN played vs. Syracuse in the Championship game, the most memorable play will always be Briana “Polly” Pulido's basket in the last minute. That is an all- time Hall of Fanme UCONN moment.
Wait till Autumn

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
There is a uncalled for bravado among some posters (I noted a sample) that to my mind is
completely misplaced regarding the likelihood of our shutting down Iowa.

Not doubting Clark's talent or scoring ability. I think they learned their lesson with Chelsea Dungee. They will make others besides Clark beat them.

Reaction Score
Watched the replay... As then ball nears the rim I think I see 19 on the clock...
They actually did reset it right after she shot, or just as she shot. But CW looked up and saw the shot clock at 2 and let it fly. The human reaction time from the clock operator (or hesitation in making the decision) basically forced her into that shot. She didn’t have time to argue or see if the clock would go to 20.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
They actually did reset it right after she shot, or just as she shot. But CW looked up and saw the shot clock at 2 and let it fly. The human reaction time from the clock operator (or hesitation in making the decision) basically forced her into that shot. She didn’t have time to argue or see if the clock would go to 20.
Just to back that up, this is just before the ball hits the backboard. You can see the shot clock is at 20.
clock_20.jpg

Reaction Score
I bet it will be a combination of NM, CW, EW. I wouldn't risk putting Paige on Clark and get her into foul trouble.
I think PB will be the best at it. She knows Clark better than the rest. Can't protect her, she just has to get it done.

Reaction Score
Did you happen to watch the Big East tournament this year - CW on the best offensive player in three games over three days - 1-5 2 points, 1-10 3 points, 3-18 7 points. It is team defense but credit starts with the primary defender.
She was good no doubt. did you see the majority of this year, last year and the year prior? She can't handle clark. Nobody she has faced is remotely as good except, maybe Dungee and she scorched CW the entire game.

Reaction Score
I think you're spot on with that analysis.
It just seemed so non-effective. (not even reaching the level of ineffective) UConn was never rushed on offense even with the 5-7 seconds of BS to get the ball up court. Notice too that UConn never tried to exploit the defense for scores. Just passivity on top of passivity. Of course, I understand what you mean regarding slowing the game down. Bull Crap!
Maybe now that the sweet 16 awaits, teams will start playing basketball against each other. High Point with their 35 foot heaves as a part of their offense. Cuse with that "half-court trap" and 2-3 zone. I am a proponent of the famous Herm Edwards philosophy, "you play to win the game".
Loyola-Chicago men now have made their second run in the tournament in recent years. Twice means it ain't no fluke. Like Gonzaga in the late 90's, early 00's. Casey Calvary, Matt Santangelo, Dan Dickau. They did it with fundamentally sound basketball. Pressure D, cutting, screening, working for open shots on offense. They win/won with toughness, commitment to what they're doing, respect for the game itself.
Not tricked up, goofy YMCA crap, like in the women's game. SWEET SIXTEEN! Like when Beth Harmon, walked through the court in Moscow and lined up her chess pieces, "let's play".
Yes, ideally, no one wants to see the game "slowed down", eh?
I luv your reference to Beth Harmon, when she - the newly minted world chess champion - sat down with some chess die-hards in a Moscow public park and said, "Let's play!" .. to me, those two words captured the essence of the wonderfully entertaining series, "The Queen's Gambit" .. and I agree, the metaphor can and should apply to women's hoops.

Reaction Score
I replayed that sequence, and the funny thing is that even with moving (and she did) she still didn't contact the player as far as I could see - the Syracuse player looked around in surprise after the whistle, not knowing why it was blown.
yeah you are right Miami, but......she knows better than to poke out her hip which is what drew the foul. No contact but the ref was looking for it...had to get his quota of offensive fouls on uconn. All our bigs and wings have this propensity of sticking out their hips. I think it is the cutter's job to run the defender off the pick. just run shoulder to shoulder (or as close as possible) with the 'picker' and then no need for the 'pickers' to poke out their hips.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think mixing it up and keep her guessing is a pretty good strategy, but then I like the possibility of using Aubrey as well. I think Iowa is more dependent on one player than almost any team we could face. They also get efficient inside scoring from their big body but not that tall C, often depending on a timely Clark pass. So shut down Clark, not just the scoring but the passing as well and you take out their outside and inside game.

That makes using a-lot of Aubrey on her potentially very valuable. If you hold down their top two, the rest of their team can't beat us. Liv may be a good enough defender/shot blocker to neutralize their inside scoring without much help. Basically Clark is a great player, but we have a variety of good tools to try to slow her down. CW has done well as a perimeter stopper recently. We switch often and with Nika, Evina and Paige, none of those would be a liability. Then we have a versatile defensive star on the bench in Aubrey.

I'm not sure what the best game-plan is for Clark. Whatever approach we start with, we can easily switch to another if it isn't working.
good switching and communication is key and not losing the plot even for a split second. i think clark is every bit as good as PB.

Reaction Score
you haven't watched any junior high games. dribbling coast to coast with somebody on you is not easy. you exaggerate like nobody i have ever heard.

For the record, I really dont care what you find funny!

Reaction Score
there are only 4 other starters. who would you like it to be then?

CW's defense has improved in the latter half of the season. In the BET didnt she shut down the opponent's top scorer?

In any event it will be a team effort.
She was much better and I gave her credit for that in my previous posts. I don't think she has any chance to stop Clark. Nobody she has faced in the BE tournament is even close to Clark's level. We will need to switch a lot and CW will be on her at times for sure. But that is not a favorable matchup for us.

Reaction Score
I understand where you're coming from but disagree. CW has the size and quickness to bother Clark. Nika is too small. AG can step in as well to spell CW but I think that's our best matchup.
i hear ya Calby and hope you are right.

But there is nothing I have seen that will make me think that CW can slow down Clark. IMHO, CW doesn't have good defensive instincts. Don't underestimate NM. She is the pest and gnat. I think our best bet is PB, AG off the bench and maybe some EW (still not a great matchup but she has size and length)

Reaction Score
She was good no doubt. did you see the majority of this year, last year and the year prior? She can't handle clark. Nobody she has faced is remotely as good except, maybe Dungee and she scorched CW the entire game.
Sheesh, of course, the way she played then is much more relevant than the way she is playing now. Clark more than likely will get hers, evidently nobody has “handled” her but I will be very surprised if Williams does not start out on her. Didn’t you notice Auriemma challenging Williams to up her defensive game by putting her on Correa in the 2nd St. John’s game and giving her the tough assignments since then? Assignments which she has handled very nicely, thank you, in the context of the switching defense Uconn employs.

Reaction Score
Sheesh, of course, the way she played then is much more relevant than the way she is playing now. Clark more than likely will get hers, evidently nobody has “handled” her but I will be very surprised if Williams does not start out on her. Didn’t you notice Auriemma challenging Williams to up her defensive game by putting her on Correa in the 2nd St. John’s game and giving her the tough assignments since then? Assignments which she has handled very nicely, thank you, in the context of the switching defense Uconn employs.
I hope your are right. :)

Correa can't hold Clark's jock strap.

Reaction Score
i hear ya Calby and hope you are right.

But there is nothing I have seen that will make me think that CW can slow down Clark. IMHO, CW doesn't have good defensive instincts. Don't underestimate NM. She is the pest and gnat. I think our best bet is PB, AG off the bench and maybe some EW (still not a great matchup but she has size and length)
More sheesh, you really think Auriemma is going to risk Bueckers getting early fouls by putting her on Clark? You don’t have to be a HOF coach to know what a bad idea that is.

Reaction Score
More sheesh, you really think Auriemma is going to risk Bueckers getting early fouls by putting her on Clark? You don’t have to be a HOF coach to know what a bad idea that is.
nope but I think she can handle her and not get into foul trouble. tall order but that is what i think. we will see. cant protect her, she just has to get it done and then score 25 on offense too.....

Reaction Score
who guards clark? Better not be CW.
Against Iowa, we should start Paige, Nika, Aaliyah, Liv and Aubrey with the latter guarding Clark. Aubrey has the athleticism to disturb Caitlin's rhythm.
Iowa is small, so we'll destroy Iowa in the paint with our big lineup, eh? Therefore, no need for much perimeter shooting via Ania, CW or Evina.
We should 'front' Cinzano. They can't lob to Cinzano over Liv.
Fortunately, UConn is a bad matchup for Iowa in so many ways
However, I have seen Caitlin Clark play .. she is the real deal .. her first half against Kentucky was one for the ages .. in comparison, she buried Rhyne Howard, no contest .. too bad she doesn't have more of a supporting cast; if she did the Huskies coulda been in trouble and we coulda had an exciting game.

Reaction Score
Against Iowa, we should start Paige, Nika, Aaliyah, Liv and Aubrey with the latter guarding Clark. Aubrey has the athleticism to disturb Caitlin's rhythm.
Iowa is small, so we'll destroy Iowa in the paint with our big lineup, eh? Therefore, no need for much perimeter shooting via Ania, CW or Evina.
We should 'front' Cinzano. They can't lob to Cinzano over Liv.
Fortunately, UConn is a bad matchup for Iowa in so many ways
However, I have seen Caitlin Clark play .. she is the real deal .. her first half against Kentucky was one for the ages .. in comparison, she buried Rhyne Howard, no contest .. too bad she doesn't have more of a supporting cast; if she did the Huskies coulda been in trouble and we coulda had an exciting game.
sit CW?? are you crazy man??!?! :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom