Syracuse Postgame Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Syracuse Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Yes, ideally, no one wants to see the game "slowed down", eh?
I luv your reference to Beth Harmon, when she - the newly minted world chess champion - sat down with some chess die-hards in a Moscow public park and said, "Let's play!" .. to me, those two words captured the essence of the wonderfully entertaining series, "The Queen's Gambit" .. and I agree, the metaphor can and should apply to women's hoops.
Wasn't that last episode awesome! I watched it 5X.

Reaction Score
sit CW?? are you crazy man??!?! :)
Hold on, I have read in many treads on the Bone Yard that Anna M is a lock down deffender. I have read that she is very fast and is a shoot blocker plus a steals machine. Her 3 point shot was money its in a lot of Bone Yard treads. Why not put Anna on Clark??

Reaction Score
Hold on, I have read in many treads on the Bone Yard that Anna M is a lock down deffender. I have read that she is very fast and is a shoot blocker plus a steals machine. Her 3 point shot was money its in a lot of Bone Yard treads. Why not put Anna on Clark??
Never heard most of that

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
They actually did reset it right after she shot, or just as she shot. But CW looked up and saw the shot clock at 2 and let it fly. The human reaction time from the clock operator (or hesitation in making the decision) basically forced her into that shot. She didn’t have time to argue or see if the clock would go to 20.
I didn't see that until I looked again. Heady play and smooth.

Reaction Score
AE had 15 and 5 before anyone said her name. She doesn't quite get the spotlight she deserves.
She will soon enough. Better to have teams focus on others and she’ll take them apart in the paint.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Against Iowa, we should start Paige, Nika, Aaliyah, Liv and Aubrey with the latter guarding Clark. Aubrey has the athleticism to disturb Caitlin's rhythm.
Iowa is small, so we'll destroy Iowa in the paint with our big lineup, eh? Therefore, no need for much perimeter shooting via Ania, CW or Evina.
We should 'front' Cinzano. They can't lob to Cinzano over Liv.
Fortunately, UConn is a bad matchup for Iowa in so many ways
However, I have seen Caitlin Clark play .. she is the real deal .. her first half against Kentucky was one for the ages .. in comparison, she buried Rhyne Howard, no contest .. too bad she doesn't have more of a supporting cast; if she did the Huskies coulda been in trouble and we coulda had an exciting game.
Not going to happen!!!

Assuming Nika is a go, the starters are Nika, Paige, Christyn, E and Liv. If Nika can't go, it's Paige, Christyn, E, Liv and Aaliyah.

Reaction Score
i hear ya Calby and hope you are right.

But there is nothing I have seen that will make me think that CW can slow down Clark. IMHO, CW doesn't have good defensive instincts. Don't underestimate NM. She is the pest and gnat. I think our best bet is PB, AG off the bench and maybe some EW (still not a great matchup but she has size and length)
There is no way PB will be guarding Clark. She’s playing 40 min a game as is, I don’t see Geno giving her that matchup it would exert too much energy that’s needed for offense. And Geno hasn’t had PB be the lock down defender yet why would she now?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
The shot clock should have reset, but it did not, so when Christyn looked up there was only 2 seconds on the shot clock.
Why? Nobody ever got possession from Syracuse.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Looks like a shootout coming up, I have faith tht Uconns defense will drastically cut into their efficiency, and cut their defense to ribbons.
Everybody has cut up their defense, they are what 315 of 316 D1 teams.

Reaction Score
I think you're spot on with that analysis.
It just seemed so non-effective. (not even reaching the level of ineffective) UConn was never rushed on offense even with the 5-7 seconds of BS to get the ball up court. Notice too that UConn never tried to exploit the defense for scores. Just passivity on top of passivity. Of course, I understand what you mean regarding slowing the game down. Bull Crap!
Maybe now that the sweet 16 awaits, teams will start playing basketball against each other. High Point with their 35 foot heaves as a part of their offense. Cuse with that "half-court trap" and 2-3 zone. I am a proponent of the famous Herm Edwards philosophy, "you play to win the game".
Loyola-Chicago men now have made their second run in the tournament in recent years. Twice means it ain't no fluke. Like Gonzaga in the late 90's, early 00's. Casey Calvary, Matt Santangelo, Dan Dickau. They did it with fundamentally sound basketball. Pressure D, cutting, screening, working for open shots on offense. They win/won with toughness, commitment to what they're doing, respect for the game itself.
Not tricked up, goofy YMCA crap, like in the women's game. SWEET SIXTEEN! Like when Beth Harmon, walked through the court in Moscow and lined up her chess pieces, "let's play".
If every team played the same style, with the same offensive and defensive schemes the game would be very boring.

Exactly how many championships have the teams you mentioned won ?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
If you read further in the thread you will see that the shot clock was reset but the reset was a little slow and after the shot had been executed.
Researched, the reset came momentarily after the shot went in flashed to 20 then 30.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I replayed that sequence, and the funny thing is that even with moving (and she did) she still didn't contact the player as far as I could see - the Syracuse player looked around in surprise after the whistle, not knowing why it was blown.
It was a bad call. First half CW gets a charge player in the circle and has a foot out of bounds.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If you read further in the thread you will see that the shot clock was reset but the reset was a little slow and after the shot had been executed.
On a play like that the time keeper has to be signaled by the ref to reset the clock so the process has a little delay built in. When it is a shot that clearly hits the rim, the time keeper does not need a signal from a ref (I think.)

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Researched, the reset came momentarily after the shot went in flashed to 20 then 30.
I have a hard time understanding what you are saying. When the ball was in the air before it reached the backboard, the shot clock had been re-set to 20 seconds (due to judgement that Syracuse had momentary possession). Just as the shot entered the basket, the shot clock decremented to 19 (see that moment below).
And yes, after the made basket, the shot clock was reset to 30 seconds to start the new Syracuse possession.

clock 4.jpg

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Just another thought on Q and Syracuse. I don't think any of the players or the coach complained about Uconn setting up a play with the shot clock off and up by 29 points.

I suspect if say ND tried that against Uconn, the BY might just break!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why? Nobody ever got possession from Syracuse.
It was pointed out by another poster that the shot clock did in fact reset. I subsequently looked closer at the game film, and sure enough the shot clock operator had in fact reset the clock to 20 seconds. So evidently, I wasn’t the only person who felt that the Syracuse player had gained possession of the ball.

On the other hand, Christyn believed, as you do, that Syracuse did not have possession, so she let it fly. If you look further at the game film, as Christyn is running back on defense, Paige is smiling away, looking at the shot clock, wondering why Christyn took a 40’ shot with 20 seconds on the clock.

The bottom line is that the shot went in. 3 points for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
If every team played the same style, with the same offensive and defensive schemes the game would be very boring.

Exactly how many championships have the teams you mentioned won ?
None. But IMO they played a style that respected the game. They didn't come out in clown suits. Why don't you read up on the teams I mentioned. Those Gonzaga teams were the heritage of the current team. Mark Few was an assistant coach of Dan Monson in those years. Try to actually know something.

Reaction Score
Just another thought on Q and Syracuse. I don't think any of the players or the coach complained about Uconn setting up a play with the shot clock off and up by 29 points.

Who started that, dribbling the clock out? IMO it's stupid. Give the backups a chance to do something. I can see it in a close game in which the starters are still out there and the team trailing backs off fouling. Not a blowout. So, Saylor and Piath get a chance for some small amount of time and you have to just dribble it out. That's crap!

Reaction Score

Who started that, dribbling the clock out? IMO it's stupid. Give the backups a chance to do something. I can see it in a close game in which the starters are still out there and the team trailing backs off fouling. Not a blowout. So, Saylor and Piath get a chance for some small amount of time and you have to just dribble it out. That's crap!

They did ask Q after last night's game why he left his starters in after UConn took our starters out. He just said, "I have 9 players."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom