Syracuse Postgame Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Syracuse Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Against Iowa, we should start Paige, Nika, Aaliyah, Liv and Aubrey with the latter guarding Clark. Aubrey has the athleticism to disturb Caitlin's rhythm.
Iowa is small, so we'll destroy Iowa in the paint with our big lineup, eh? Therefore, no need for much perimeter shooting via Ania, CW or Evina.
We should 'front' Cinzano. They can't lob to Cinzano over Liv.
Fortunately, UConn is a bad matchup for Iowa in so many ways
However, I have seen Caitlin Clark play .. she is the real deal .. her first half against Kentucky was one for the ages .. in comparison, she buried Rhyne Howard, no contest .. too bad she doesn't have more of a supporting cast; if she did the Huskies coulda been in trouble and we coulda had an exciting game.
You want a 3 year starter to not start? LOL LOL>>LOL>>LOL>>LOL>>LOL>>LOL> and also LOL.

Reaction Score
Wow! Texas A&M escaped in OT. Once again, the refs bailed them out by calling a held ball in the last few seconds & Iowa State up by 2 with the ball. But there was no double possession & the Aggies should have been called for foul. Instead, they tie the game & win in OT.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I have a hard time understanding what you are saying. When the ball was in the air before it reached the backboard, the shot clock had been re-set to 20 seconds (due to judgement that Syracuse had momentary possession). Just as the shot entered the basket, the shot clock decremented to 19 (see that moment below).
And yes, after the made basket, the shot clock was reset to 30 seconds to start the new Syracuse possession.

View attachment 66261
I was looking at the clock on the broadcast. If Syracuse was granted possession then turned it over again when CW "stole" the pass, the clock should have gone to 30 first when Syracuse had possession then when UConn got the ball back, no? What were the officials signaling?

Reaction Score
Clark's jock strap? Really? You are so confused about so many things, but this is the topper. :p
thought we needed a bit of humor on the subject....:)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is no way PB will be guarding Clark. She’s playing 40 min a game as is, I don’t see Geno giving her that matchup it would exert too much energy that’s needed for offense. And Geno hasn’t had PB be the lock down defender yet why would she now?
you are probably right Hey. But PB knows her better than anybody else. I wouldn't sell PB short on anything. I don't think playing defense against an excellent player will cause her game to go in the tubes or tire her out unnecessarily. I also don't think it will get her in foul trouble.

I think it is as important to minimise the damage that clark does since she could easily go for 30 as it is for PB to score 25. Defense is as important as offense.

If we could hold clark to 20 and PB was a major part of that and she herself put up 20, then I think that is a win for us given our superiority at the other positions.

Reaction Score
Hold on, I have read in many treads on the Bone Yard that Anna M is a lock down deffender. I have read that she is very fast and is a shoot blocker plus a steals machine. Her 3 point shot was money its in a lot of Bone Yard treads. Why not put Anna on Clark??
well it's a thought....If that happened, I think this board would blow up.

In all seriousness, Anna's length on the perimeter might bother Clark....but you have to guard Clark as soon as they cross half court. The best defense I think is to deny her the ball. The best deny defenders we have are PB, NM and AG.

Could go zone....

Reaction Score
well it's a thought....If that happened, I think this board would blow up.

In all seriousness, Anna's length on the perimeter might bother Clark....but you have to guard Clark as soon as they cross half court. The best defense I think is to deny her the ball. The best deny defenders we have are PB, NM and AG.

Could go zone....
As I have said before, put Aubrey on Clark from the giddyap .. on offense, we are going to beat Iowa in the paint and Aubrey can help there too, eh?

Reaction Score
you are probably right Hey. But PB knows her better than anybody else. I wouldn't sell PB short on anything. I don't think playing defense against an excellent player will cause her game to go in the tubes or tire her out unnecessarily. I also don't think it will get her in foul trouble.

I think it is as important to minimise the damage that clark does since she could easily go for 30 as it is for PB to score 25. Defense is as important as offense.

If we could hold clark to 20 and PB was a major part of that and she herself put up 20, then I think that is a win for us given our superiority at the other positions.
IMO a complete team like UConn does not need to change everything up for one player. In fact, I would argue that the way the team is playing man-to-man now is exactly the right remedy to keep Clark in check. Sometimes over-thinking disrupts the team’s mojo.
I like the idea of picking her up at half court and then aggressive team defense from there. We switch on all screens, so everyone will be guarding her. Start out with CW, E, or NM on her. We are better at all other positions, maybe a wash at center.

Reaction Score
IMO a complete team like UConn does not need to change everything up for one player. In fact, I would argue that the way the team is playing man-to-man now is exactly the right remedy to keep Clark in check. Sometimes over-thinking disrupts the team’s mojo.
I like the idea of picking her up at half court and then aggressive team defense from there. We switch on all screens, so everyone will be guarding her. Start out with CW, E, or NM on her. We are better at all other positions, maybe a wash at center.
Thank you for the reply MD.

I don't think my proposal is changing everything we do is it? If we went entirely to zone, then yes, that would be true. Just looking at the starters, I just think PB and NM are our best shots at slowing down Clark and NM may be compromised a bit.

But maybe GA challenges CW or EW to take on the responsibility and maybe a rotation is there as well so they aren't on her all game.

Clark will need a great performance I think for them to win, so as long as we keep her less than great, we will win..

Reaction Score
As I have said before, put Aubrey on Clark from the giddyap .. on offense, we are going to beat Iowa in the paint and Aubrey can help there too, eh?
I like it, but you you are going to get us in big trouble with boneyard by suggesting AG should start the game......:)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was looking at the clock on the broadcast. If Syracuse was granted possession then turned it over again when CW "stole" the pass, the clock should have gone to 30 first when Syracuse had possession then when UConn got the ball back, no? What were the officials signaling?
Cluelessness?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Well that's actually what happened (sort of). If you watch the shot clock at the bottom of the screen in this video you will see that when Williams got the ball the shot clock was at about 3. So she turned and with 1 on the clock let go the prayer shot. Immediately after that the clock resets to 30 for a fraction of a second and very quickly after that it gets set to 20. All of that was a reaction of the timekeeper to resetting the shot clock as possession changes.

I think one of the questions to ask is why did it go from 30 to 20 instead of from 30 (for the Syracuse possession) to 30 to begin the new Uconn possession. Why did it go to 20? What happened doesn't fit the rules I know about when the clock gets set to 20. Is there a rule that covers this or was this a clock keeper mistake? (that doesn't matter at all in this case of course)

Reaction Score
The first 10 minutes will decide this game. We need a solid start with defense leading the way. Establish our inside game early. Our eight starters will defeat their three. Our coaches will adjust to what needs to be done as the game progresses. Play with intensity and find the joy during the game. Respect the other team as we do.

Reaction Score
I don’t think CW had to shoot that long 3 that she banked in. I think the shot clock reset to 20.
The shot clock light and buzzer went off right after the shot went in.

Reaction Score
I like it, but you you are going to get us in big trouble with boneyard by suggesting AG should start the game......:)
Nothing is cast in stone, eh? Nika Muhl is a prime example of that!

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
The shot clock light and buzzer went off right after the shot went in.
That is what is weird and has been discussed in this thread. It was clock operator error. If it didn't reset, it should have. There was change of possession.

Reaction Score
I understand where you're coming from but disagree. CW has the size and quickness to bother Clark. Nika is too small. AG can step in as well to spell CW but I think that's our best matchup.
CW is 5'11, Nika is 5'10

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
That is what is weird and has been discussed in this thread. It was clock operator error. If it didn't reset, it should have. There was change of possession.
Paige was confused. That proves it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom