Syracuse Postgame Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Syracuse Postgame Thread

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Not sure about that. While the Cuse player was on the floor she had two hands on the ball and tried to pass it to a teammate. That would be possession in my book.
We we need someone , an expert, to review ,as the Syracuse player clearly had two hands on the ball, was falling out of bounds and passed to CW.
Two hands on the ball falling out of bounds does not constitute possession. A player needs to have the ball under control. This wasn't even close. In fact, she only had one hand on the ball! It's at 4:10 in the 1Q if you want to check.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As @UcMiami and @Childhood both noted the similarities on the score until the 3rd quarter, I would add that Stanford has shown a propensity for earning big leads early in games and then letting the opponent back into the game in the 4th and that is one of their flaws, they don’t always put away the opponent. Part of that problem is Tara employs way too many combinations of players and their play gets out of sync.

Our team of “youn’ens” has not such compunction, they see an opportunity and press on. The team is improving each game as they now know what the other is going to do and what to expect and it all starts on the defensive end. Truly a joy to watch.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I read all of the numerous posts in this thread about who should guard Caitlyn Clark (which really should be a whole separate thread), and there was one name that no one seemed to mention:

Evina Westbrook!

She has the size to contend with Clark. She probably isn't as quick, but her technique and experience should go a long way to compensate for that. And she will position herself smartly to move Clark to where the help is.

Another possibility is a 3-2 zone. I remember a game a few years ago against Ohio State when they had Kelsey Griffin. She had just sliced up South Carolina's man-to-man defense in the previous game, but she was totally frustrated with UConn's front line of Kia Nurse, Gabby Williams, and Saniya Chong. Two of them were on her when she got within 10 feet of the 3-point line, and the third was covering her passing lane to her backcourt partner. She was completely unable to pass into the post, since she had no visibility to do so. She had to dribble around, far from the basket, until she could find a safety valve to pass to.

Clark is taller than Griffin, so she may have more visibility. But a front line of Paige, Evina, and Christyn / Nika could give her problems.

If she has fewer than 25 points and 10 assists, UConn will win the game by double digits.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I read all of the numerous posts in this thread about who should guard Caitlyn Clark (which really should be a whole separate thread), and there was one name that no one seemed to mention:

Evina Westbrook!...

Another possibility is a 3-2 zone...
This makes a lot of sense, Joe. I bet we see a combo of these two.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
If she has fewer than 25 points and 10 assists, UConn will win the game by double digits.

Clark will have fewer than 25 and 10. The team has a history of shutting down the other team's top scorer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Liv certainly had her big girl pants on. Aaliyah one of the top freshman in the nation getting her due. Was she the assist leader? Anna”Finally “ and a steal. Good job Aubrey. Nice to see the sophomores contribute. Steady E smooth and in control. Good job Christyn.
Today we learned Cardosa makes Liv look really small. But that’s all she is is BIG.

Getting Ready for the Caitlin/Paige show! Saddle up
I disagree. She's very coordinated, athletic, and runs the court very well. AND she is only a freshman. Cardoso will be a handful and a likely AA as a senior.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
they need a new shot clock guy, another time , the shot clock ( which sounds like the game clock) went off when CW and PB were running up the floor.
Happens a lot. Especially when a shot doesn't hit the rim. The guy has to wait until he is sure the defensive team has gained complete possession.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Enters the game in the 2nd half, scores within 20 secs, gets called for a moving screen
I replayed that sequence, and the funny thing is that even with moving (and she did) she still didn't contact the player as far as I could see - the Syracuse player looked around in surprise after the whistle, not knowing why it was blown.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
unless she has vastly changed her defence, it will be dungee all over again with 3s and blow byes. I think CW is playing better defense now than she was then, but I dont think a CW-Clark matchup favors us in the least bit
Did you happen to watch the Big East tournament this year - CW on the best offensive player in three games over three days - 1-5 2 points, 1-10 3 points, 3-18 7 points. It is team defense but credit starts with the primary defender.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Two hands on the ball falling out of bounds does not constitute possession. A player needs to have the ball under control. This wasn't even close. In fact, she only had one hand on the ball! It's at 4:10 in the 1Q if you want to check.
For those that want to micro-examine

Reaction Score
I understand where you're coming from but disagree. CW has the size and quickness to bother Clark. Nika is too small. AG can step in as well to spell CW but I think that's our best matchup.
I think we’ve found that this team has a very high basketball I.Q., is a quick study and is unusually adaptable. I think they were looking forward to another meeting with the player that burned them to 30+ points last time.
I think they will apply those lessons learned to stopping Clarke.
Either that, or they will more or less shut down the rest of her team and force her to put her team entirely on her back.
That will not be a recipe for success for their opponent.
I’m really enjoy watching this UConn team’s growth, maturation and adaptability.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
For those that want to micro-examine

I have seen that called both ways as she did control and direct the ball. But I have no problem with them not resetting it - I often think the refs reset it too quickly on similar questionable possessions by the defense.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Did you happen to watch the Big East tournament this year - CW on the best offensive player in three games over three days - 1-5 2 points, 1-10 3 points, 3-18 7 points. It is team defense but credit starts with the primary defender.
It seems that people watch the game but can't really tell how offenses and defenses work. UConn generally plays a switching defense for most teams, most of the time. I'd expect nothing less against Iowa. That means CW will probably (if Nika plays) be the primary defender, but as to who will be on her at any given time depends on the circumstance, the switch, and where Clark is on the court at any given moment.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I know all the boneyard reasons to dislike coach Q and Syracuse, and I certainly take special pleasure in Uconn beating them (and any previous BE teams that jumped ship) but ...

I can't help enjoying him and respecting what he has done with the Syracuse program - a definite also ran in the hearts and minds of the Syracuse athletic department. Before he came they were nowhere. He has given them an identity, has had moderate and building recruiting success, and has taken a team that should not have been competitive to an NC game. He seems genuine with his players and gracious as a winner and loser in his press appearances.

Syracuse before Q 3 ncaa tournaments, one since 1990
Syracuse with Q (2007) 9 ncaa tournaments and the last 8 consecutively.

Reaction Score

Evina Westbrook!

She has the size to contend with Clark. She probably isn't as quick, but her technique and experience should go a long way to compensate for that. And she will position herself smartly to move Clark to where the help is.

Another possibility is a 3-2 zone. I remember a game a few years ago against Ohio State when they had Kelsey Griffin. She had just sliced up South Carolina's man-to-man defense in the previous game, but she was totally frustrated with UConn's front line of Kia Nurse, Gabby Williams, and Saniya Chong. Two of them were on her when she got within 10 feet of the 3-point line, and the third was covering her passing lane to her backcourt partner. She was completely unable to pass into the post, since she had no visibility to do so. She had to dribble around, far from the basket, until she could find a safety valve to pass to.

Clark is taller than Griffin, so she may have more visibility. But a front line of Paige, Evina, and Christyn / Nika could give her problems.

If she has 40 points, I think UCONN will still win by double digits. Czinano scoring is reliant on passes to her in the paint from Clark for lay ups. I just don’t see UConn’s defense allowing much of that. We shall see. Can’t wait.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom