Syracuse Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Syracuse Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Syracuse game:
  • Dealing with Cardoso’s size posed a real challenge for UConn. This game reminded me of the Sweet 16 game in 2014 against BYU and Jennifer Hamson, their 6’7” center.
  • UConn started a bit slow but seemed to pick up once Christyn hit a 40’ bank shot with time running out on the shot clock. I’m sure she called “BANK.”
  • Liv really demonstrated tremendous toughness battling Cardoso in the paint and holding her own on the boards. It bodes well for the big matchups to come.
  • Aaliyah continues to introduce herself to the rest of college basketball with authority.
  • I would really like to see Anna get back to being a key contributor and it was great to see her finally knock down a 3, but at this point those minutes should go to Aubrey, who continues to make good things happen every time she enters a game.
  • Not a great game for Paige, but plenty good enough, including some highlight reel dimes.
  • Survive and advance. Every round presents a new challenge. High Point was an undersized, athletic team UConn had to defend all over the court. Syracuse is one of the biggest teams in the tournament and plays a tough 2-3 zone. Next up, the high scoring Iowa Hawkeyes and a dream matchup between the two best freshmen in the country.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
So, you're not shooting particularly well...how do you get 80-something points.
Break their ineffective zone and turn the game into a lay-up drill.
They must have run that play 10/15 times...always worked
Great coaching to find it, terrible coaching to not adjust.
Also the D was suffocating..14-12-9-12, the last in garbage time
and the kids were still playing good D.

But the next game should be more interesting...Catlin's highlight reel shows that she doesn't have to set her feet; extraordinary internal balancing...no distance too far...
Should be fascinating.

Reaction Score
  • Dealing with Cardoso’s size posed a real challenge for UConn. This game reminded me of the Sweet 16 game in 2014 against BYU and Jennifer Hamson, their 6’7” center.
  • UConn started a bit slow but seemed to pick up once Christyn hit a 40’ bank shot with time running out on the shot clock. I’m sure she called “BANK.”
  • Liv really demonstrated tremendous toughness battling Cardoso in the paint and holding her own on the boards. It bodes well for the big matchups to come.
  • Aaliyah continues to introduce herself to the rest of college basketball with authority.
  • I would really like to see Anna get back to being a key contributor and it was great to see her finally knock down a 3, but at this point those minutes should go to Aubrey, who continues to make good things happen every time she enters a game.
  • Not a great game for Paige, but plenty good enough, including some highlight reel dimes.
  • Survive and advance. Every round presents a new challenge. High Point was an undersized, athletic team UConn had to defend all over the court. Syracuse is one of the biggest teams in the tournament and plays a tough 2-3 zone. Next up, the high scoring Iowa Hawkeyes and a dream matchup between the two best freshmen in the country.
Actually thought it was a strong game for Paige, other than maybe her jumper not being there enough - no Nika so she handled more PG stuff as Cuse was trying to press and trap. Don’t think they forced a single TO with it (there was a trap in the first half on Anna that I think ended in a held ball). She managed the game well, got us into offense, and a lot of her good passes resulted in fouls or hockey assists. And her offensive push came at the best time to give us separation heading into the half.

On the down side, her patented fading to the right jumper that buried SC missed every time, so she better fix that!

Reaction Score
Overall a very, very, good win.
Paige did exactly what was needed tonight, no more, no less.
Liv was outstanding, though I still cringe on some of those weak efforts close to the basket.
Evina, steady Eddy, a little bit of this and that.
Christyn, hit some big shots and played within the flow
Aubry terrific defensive pressure, rebounding, cutting to the basket - outside shot, well...
Anna, nice rebounds, solid defense, a couple of sloppy passes, and finally...a made 3!
Aaliyah, a warrior inside, and she makes her foul shots.
CD, excellent adjustments
I can't figure out how Cardoso just vanished

Reaction Score
I thought Anna really helped with the ball movement against the zone, seemed like we started to separate at that point. Aubrey was great at getting into good spots to score from.

Reaction Score
This is the game we have been waiting for from Olivia. She absolutely outplayed Syracuse's center, both offensively and defensively. Great game from the entire team. Also, Anna made a three.

Reaction Score
Liv certainly had her big girl pants on. Aaliyah one of the top freshman in the nation getting her due. Was she the assist leader? Anna”Finally “ and a steal. Good job Aubrey. Nice to see the sophomores contribute. Steady E smooth and in control. Good job Christyn.
Today we learned Cardosa makes Liv look really small. But that’s all she is is BIG.

Getting Ready for the Caitlin/Paige show! Saddle up

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Well played game on both sides of the ball.

May have been Liv's best game. Good, solid defense on Cardoso and her offensive explosion in the 3rd quarter was amazing.

Paige gives the team what it needs when its needed. She needed to score in the first half. The second half was her time to get everybody involved in the offense. Her passing is becoming contagious to others.

Aaliyah continues to excell. Defense, offense, you name it. She played tough and physical inside. Cuse couldn't handle her.

E was steady as usual. Christyn with the "bank shot" three!!!. Both ladies played hard nose defense and frustrated Cuse' guards.

Aubrey with great minutes.

And finally, Anna with a 3!!!!!!!!!

Onto to meet Iowa. The Beast of the East is alive and well.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Nothing really much to say. My player of the game was Aaliyah Edwards. This child beast took 5 shots and scored 19 points. She and Liv held Cardosa to 2 points and one shot in the second half. Aaliyah Edwards, the new beast mode. Liv though was a very close second.

Reaction Score
Stupid statisticians called Paige’s shot in the third quarter a missed 3 - it was a 15-foot runner on the baseline, so they have her 1-4 instead of 1-3. Costs her some percentage points.

Reaction Score
Great play with some great contributions by everyone. The team has to continue playing like this. If they do, I’m confident we will be in the championship game.

BTW, I just checked my bracket and, ESPN is reporting UConn will play on Sunday. I hope it’s a late game because I have to be at my internship that day

Reaction Score
Actually thought it was a strong game for Paige, other than maybe her jumper not being there enough - no Nika so she handled more PG stuff as Cuse was trying to press and trap. Don’t think they forced a single TO with it (there was a trap in the first half on Anna that I think ended in a held ball). She managed the game well, got us into offense, and a lot of her good passes resulted in fouls or hockey assists. And her offensive push came at the best time to give us separation heading into the half.

On the down side, her patented fading to the right jumper that buried SC missed every time, so she better fix that!
Exactly. She did what she does, controlled and orchestrated the game, scored when they needed it to open the game up, and kept everybody involved. The maestro.

Reaction Score
Great play with some great contributions by everyone. The team has to continue playing like this. If they do, I’m confident we will be in the championship game.

BTW, I just checked my bracket and, ESPN is reporting UConn will play on Sunday. I hope it’s a late game because I have to be at my internship that day
I'm pretty sure it will be in prime time to appease ESPN

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom