Syracuse Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Syracuse Postgame Thread

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I checked, and unless I overlooked something, this is by far the biggest margin of loss for Syracuse all year. Louisville beat Syracuse twice by 13-point margins. NC State appears to have played Syracuse only once, at Syracuse, and beat the Orange by only 7 points. Syracuse's worst defeat before tonight was to North Carolina, on the road, by 24 points; later, at home, Syracuse won by 12. So the margin is truly impressive, especially considering that Stanford won its game tonight by only 12 or so.

It should be noted that the margin of victory in tonight's game exceeded either the Championship game in 2016 (with Stewie and company) or the 2017 victory in the same round of the NCAA tournament at Storrs. I re-watched the 2017 game last night and it looked like a complete beatdown, despite Syracuse having good players like Brittany Sykes and Alexis Peterson in that game. But tonight was an even bigger margin. (Of course, I don't think this year's Orange team is as good as its 2017 team.)

I was also REALLY impressed by how well the UConn offense ripped apart the Syracuse zone defense once they got the hang of it in the third quarter. Every point UConn scored in that quarter was in the paint, according to the announcers. Considering that Syracuse has played that zone all year against what should have been good ACC competition, whereas UConn was facing it for the first time in this game, that was and is a serious accomplishment.
It was the coaching. :cool:
(at least that is CD's story and she is keeping to it!)

I was actually tracking both games by box score, and Stanford and Uconn were tracking almost identically - slow first quarter and then a dominant second and leading by 15 at the half, and then a short spurt to take it to a 20 point lead at the beginning of the second half. At that moment, the games changed dramatically as Uconn continued a gradual expansion of the lead, whole OkSt suddenly woke up and started to score, and gradually cut into the lead - never got below 10 in the third, and only once did it drop to 9 in the fourth so Stanford was really sweating.

Reaction Score
It was the coaching. :cool:
(at least that is CD's story and she is keeping to it!)

I was actually tracking both games by box score, and Stanford and Uconn were tracking almost identically - slow first quarter and then a dominant second and leading by 15 at the half, and then a short spurt to take it to a 20 point lead at the beginning of the second half. At that moment, the games changed dramatically as Uconn continued a gradual expansion of the lead, whole OkSt suddenly woke up and started to score, and gradually cut into the lead - never got below 10 in the third, and only once did it drop to 9 in the fourth so Stanford was really sweating.
exactly the same here. How funny the scores are really similar until the 3rd Q.

Reaction Score
Great game but the one thing I would have liked to see them do was attack the basket after breaking the press.

Reaction Score
I think ONO has finally grown into herself. She finally has learned how to play in big games. Great game by everyone. Syracuse is a legit team not like the Big East. They gave them their worst loss in a long time. Time for Iowa, then maybe the 2nd best team in the country Baylor. Each game gets harder but that's the way its supposed to be. We'll learn alot about this team the next game.

Reaction Score
If Maryland can blowout Iowa twice I’m 100% sure UConn will do it worse because UConn actually plays defense. I expect an easy against Iowa and Clark to be shut down.
UCONN should dominate in the paint, start one player taller than 6’ and the other taller players are only used sparingly.

Reaction Score
It should be noted that the margin of victory in tonight's game exceeded either the Championship game in 2016 (with Stewie and company) or the 2017 victory in the same round of the NCAA tournament at Storrs. I re-watched the 2017 game last night and it looked like a complete beatdown, despite Syracuse having good players like Brittany Sykes and Alexis Peterson in that game. But tonight was an even bigger margin. (Of course, I don't think this year's Orange team is as good as its 2017 team.)

I was also REALLY impressed by how well the UConn offense ripped apart the Syracuse zone defense once they got the hang of it in the third quarter. Every point UConn scored in that quarter was in the paint, according to the announcers. Considering that Syracuse has played that zone all year against what should have been good ACC competition, whereas UConn was facing it for the first time in this game, that was and is a serious accomplishment.
Tonight was another well-deserved beatdown for Q ? ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I checked, and unless I overlooked something, this is by far the biggest margin of loss for Syracuse all year. Louisville beat Syracuse twice by 13-point margins. NC State appears to have played Syracuse only once, at Syracuse, and beat the Orange by only 7 points. Syracuse's worst defeat before tonight was to North Carolina, on the road, by 24 points; later, at home, Syracuse won by 12. So the margin is truly impressive, especially considering that Stanford won its game tonight by only 12 or so.

Our defense is very good. I wonder if UConn is the better defensive team or it is Baylor.

Reaction Score
Syracuse was a one trick pony. Once UCONN broke the zone & exploited their weak inside defense, Syracuse had no answer. Their coach never changed defenses or tried to adjust their zone.
His coaching Philosophy is to make opponents adjust. Not a winning formula.

Reaction Score
the game changed when Aubrey entered the game in the 2nd quarter. Pressured the perimeter, forced turnovers into layups, and cut the passing lanes. built a comfortable lead at halftime.

Paige was Paige - in complete control. She is the Floor General out there!

Reaction Score
AE continues to impress. She was all over the court & not afraid to shoot. More importantly, she has cut down on the number of mistakes she made at the beginning of the season. I would say she is a Top 5 "Big" in the country right now, even as a freshman.

She adds another dimension that UConn hasnt had the past few years - 2 Bigs that can match up against Baylor, SC & Stanford's size & physical play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom