Syracuse Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Syracuse Postgame Thread

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Every good passer loses a lot of assists to players getting fouled and players missing bunnies - just part of the game. They also get extra assists from very ordinary passes to wide open jump shooters.

Reaction Score
UCONN should dominate in the paint, start one player taller than 6’ and the other taller players are only used sparingly.
I disagree, I have watched them a lot this year to see Clark. Yes they were easily beaten by Maryland, but they have learned from their losses and have gotten better as they go along. Their center is tough and competes HARD and she is actually good. Liv will have her hands full with her. They can get hot and give us a lot of problems. I think we beat them, but it will be anything but easy. Also as a side note, I’ve watched Maryland and they are good. Different from the typical Maryland teams, I’m surprised because everyone keeps transferring out so I thought they would be kinda rebuilding, but, I believe they can sneak up and win it all with some things falling their way. No one hates Maryland like me either so it’s tough to even say that. Basically these two teams will be no easy outs and don’t be surprised to see Maryland go deep...real deep.

Reaction Score
I checked, and unless I overlooked something, this is by far the biggest margin of loss for Syracuse all year. Louisville beat Syracuse twice by 13-point margins. NC State appears to have played Syracuse only once, at Syracuse, and beat the Orange by only 7 points. Syracuse's worst defeat before tonight was to North Carolina, on the road, by 24 points; later, at home, Syracuse won by 12. So the margin is truly impressive, especially considering that Stanford won its game tonight by only 12 or so.

It should be noted that the margin of victory in tonight's game exceeded either the Championship game in 2016 (with Stewie and company) or the 2017 victory in the same round of the NCAA tournament at Storrs. I re-watched the 2017 game last night and it looked like a complete beatdown, despite Syracuse having good players like Brittany Sykes and Alexis Peterson in that game. But tonight was an even bigger margin. (Of course, I don't think this year's Orange team is as good as its 2017 team.)

I was also REALLY impressed by how well the UConn offense ripped apart the Syracuse zone defense once they got the hang of it in the third quarter. Every point UConn scored in that quarter was in the paint, according to the announcers. Considering that Syracuse has played that zone all year against what should have been good ACC competition, whereas UConn was facing it for the first time in this game, that was and is a serious accomplishment.
Excellent offensive halftime adjustment by Big C and Big J.

Reaction Score
It was the coaching. :cool:
(at least that is CD's story and she is keeping to it!)

I was actually tracking both games by box score, and Stanford and Uconn were tracking almost identically - slow first quarter and then a dominant second and leading by 15 at the half, and then a short spurt to take it to a 20 point lead at the beginning of the second half. At that moment, the games changed dramatically as Uconn continued a gradual expansion of the lead, whole OkSt suddenly woke up and started to score, and gradually cut into the lead - never got below 10 in the third, and only once did it drop to 9 in the fourth so Stanford was really sweating.
Big C and Big J dominated Little Q.

Reaction Score
I disagree, I have watched them a lot this year to see Clark. Yes they were easily beaten by Maryland, but they have learned from their losses and have gotten better as they go along. Their center is tough and competes HARD and she is actually good. Liv will have her hands full with her. They can get hot and give us a lot of problems. I think we beat them, but it will be anything but easy. Also as a side note, I’ve watched Maryland and they are good. Different from the typical Maryland teams, I’m surprised because everyone keeps transferring out so I thought they would be kinda rebuilding, but, I believe they can sneak up and win it all with some things falling their way. No one hates Maryland like me either so it’s tough to even say that. Basically these two teams will be no easy outs and don’t be surprised to see Maryland go deep...real deep.
If we were the same defensive team from earlier in the year, I think this would be a tough game. But the team we are now, we win this game by a minimum of 15 points.

Reaction Score
Mowins had a choice of doing play- by- play or giving erroneous information. She chose the latter!
At one point I screamed "Shut up!" and scared the hell out of my family. I never do that. But it was an impossible stoppage of play to figure out, yet they just kept on prattling. I'm through criticizing these people though; they're just watching TV like we are and they don't know what's going on

It's the networks, and the producers: they just don't care.

How hard would it be to wire up someone to actually watch the game and the officials' signals, and feed info into their earphones when something happens?

Reaction Score
Kudos to CD and Jamelle.....let's give credit where it's due. These 2 great coaches kept the team together and followed the plan. Yes, they made nice adjustments when necessary. There was a lot on their respective plates and the kids did their wonderful job and showed them tremendous respect. The Maestro returns tomorrow along w/Shea... Hope Nika will be ok for Iowa.
The maturity shown by our very young girls comes from our great coaching staff. They always have their eyes on the prize..no jinxing!

Reaction Score
Great game but the one thing I would have liked to see them do was attack the basket after breaking the press.
You beat the 1-3-1 half court trap for a quick score by getting it in the middle and/or the corners. Same as if it was just a packed in zone. We don’t really have anyone to hit that 3 in the corner if Paige is bringing it up. (CW?) The long cross court pass to the corner is there but the pass is a long one. Baseball pass for women. We were content with just walking it up. The only possible purpose of that press was to slow the tempo. Other than that a total waste of time.

Reaction Score
who guards clark? Better not be CW.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Excellent offensive halftime adjustment by Big C and Big J.
it was a good test for uconn against zone and they beat the hell out of it without much of a 3 pt threat which is practically impossible to achieve. The great passing & execution got it done from PB to AE to Liv and a little EW sprinkled in. It was a beautiful thing to watch.

Now if we can hit the 3 with any sort of regularity, no team would dare throw a zone at us again. They will think twice about it as it is.

Reaction Score
Liv was outstanding. She had confidence on her little 10' shots and she was great boxing out. Really kept Cardoso on her back.
She was really really good.

Her performance gives me and more importantly her team confidence that she can hold her own against big players. Cardosa also has excellent movement skills, making Liv's performance that much better.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Every good passer loses a lot of assists to players getting fouled and players missing bunnies - just part of the game. They also get extra assists from very ordinary passes to wide open jump shooters.
But since we dont make open jump shots,

Reaction Score
GA = Geno, CD = Chris Dailey, J = Jamelle, PB= Paige, NM = Nika, EW = Evina, Liv = Liv, CW = Christyn, AE = Aaliyah, AG = ‘The great Aubrey Griffin’, Mir = Mir, PG= Piath, AM = Anna, the Polish Rifle, PS or Poff = Saylor, AC = Autumn.

My 2 cents overall and the guard play and wings:

Good defense. Switching was good. Hands in the passing lanes. Bigs playing tough. Penetration held to a minimum. Offense adapted and had very good success against the zone, despite little 3 pt threat. Great passing by PB, AE, Liv and some EW as well to get it done. Impressive to pick apart a zone without busting it with the 3.

PB – Another very good game. I think she forced a few shots and missed more than usual but got to the line a lot and hit all of them. Another excellent passing game and she disrupted the passing lanes on defense.

CW – solid game. Must have played about 35+ minutes. Seemed to never leave the court despite 3 fouls. Got in some trouble a few times on defense when guarding the smaller, quicker guards and picked up some fouls, but to her credit she battled. Shot pretty well. Hit a couple threes in rhythm and looked really good doing it. Bad early call on the charge when the player was in the circle. Nice play to get her hands in the passing lane causing the TO.

EW – Had a solid game – not so much on offense this game with her scoring but had some good moments on the boards and passing the ball.

AM – Movement and defense looked good. Frist three looked bad, second was dead on but a bit long and then she drained the third one. Does she have her stroke back? I hope so, because I am certain GA will play her minutes above and beyond AG for instance.

Reaction Score
GA = Geno, CD = Chris Dailey, J = Jamelle, PB= Paige, NM = Nika, EW = Evina, Liv = Liv, CW = Christyn, AE = Aaliyah, AG = ‘The great Aubrey Griffin’, Mir = Mir, PG= Piath, AM = Anna, the Polish Rifle, PS or Poff = Saylor, AC = Autumn.

My 2 cents overall on the bigs:

Despite being outsized with Cardosa, it seemed like we held our own on the boards and dominated with our scoring in the paint. We finished really well.

Liv – Thought she had a great game and IMHO, finally showed that she could hold her own against a quality big. She was terrific and played tough! She rose to the occasion and was not intimidated by Cardosa. Really tough on the boards and on the box outs which is as important as getting the board.

There was a short sequence where she hit the short jumper, got her hands on a pass a few seconds later to cause a TO and then raced down the court to get a nice assist to AE. Foul should have been 3 secs on Carodosa- I counted 5 secs. Loved the strong take with the high kiss off the glass with the left hand. As I mentioned earlier in the year, she is at her best when AE is in the game. Thought she had a double-double but not sure. She was big time in this game and if we can get this from her, along with what he got from AE, we are cutting down the nets!

AE – just a beast! Hit the little 8 footer, then later raced down on the break twice for layins or got fouled. Got an old fashion 3 pts on Cardosa. Took it at Cardosa a couple of times – she is not afraid and is growing game by game. Must have had 10 points from the line. Unstoppable and had a great game. Had a great steal and coast to coast layin after the spin move. Wow!!! She is 6'3 and doing that in the open court!

I will say it again as I did a week or so ago, AE is key to us winning it all. I am pretty confident that we can count on her for 15 pts and 7-10 rebounds. That is a tall order for a freshman big and something we haven’t gotten out of any freshman big in decades other than Stewie. I think GA has to get her 30 minutes per game going forward. Can’t have her on the bench. That means less minutes for NM which I hate, but if CW can hit jumpers, then we can afford to have PB at the point more often.

AG – does what she always does – changes the game and does it immediately and in a variety of ways. Showed off her defense and superior dribbling skills with the coast to coast steal. She has done this 3-4 times this year. Came in at 5:48 in the 1st half and we stretched a close game of 7 pts to a commanding lead at 15 pts at the half. She had 4 pts, 2 steals and a rebound in this short period of time while harassing the hell out of the opposition.

Enters the game in the 2nd half, scores within 20 secs, gets called for a moving screen but then immediately draws the charge, gets a steal, scores and dishes to AE for another score. Stretches a 27 pt lead to 35. Also shows her versatility by setting solid screens and guarding the smaller quicker guards on Cuse while CW gets to guard the slower player. Interesting match-up showing what you can do with AG’s multifaceted skillset. Hit all her shots -finished well. Played less than I would have liked as CD and GA are trying to get AM back in the grove, and extended minutes, as is the norm, for CW.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom