Syracuse at Oregon on Saturday Afternoon (who wins?) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Syracuse at Oregon on Saturday Afternoon (who wins?)

Will Syracuse Beat Oregon?

• Yes, I think they will.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • No way, Oregon dominates.

Votes: 52 65.8%
  • Oregon wins, but not by much.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • Shocker, Syracuse dominates.

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Look, u keep talking about the past with these teams as if that is a direct indicator of what will happen in the present. These teams change every year, and THIS YEAR Oregon is comparable to UConn. As for something being "weird," I think you should reflect on your desire to continue to quote the past like that has anything to do with what Oregon or Oregon St will do this year. At the end of the day this is all opinion and speculation, so, as I've said before, we will see how it plays out... Starting today. Go Huskies!
It's early, but I've got Mike Blue down for the quote of the season "....THIS YEAR Oregon is comparable to UConn." Not sure that bodes well for UConn.

Reaction Score
Interesting in that Oregon had this massive reputation coming into the season. They are very beatable and the Pac teams will probably not fear them at all.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
This OR team is very slow and plays no defense, wow, we may be able to give them a game :cool:

Reaction Score
Sabrina is pure clutch. And she nearly had another triple double. Ducks are talented, I just don't know how talented?

Reaction Score
One things for sure Ionescu and Cazorla will need help against much quicker and deeper teams. Despite their shooting prowess, Boley and Sabally aren’t guards and they will struggle defending quicker perimeter players all year.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Syracuse badly lacks discipline how are you going to leave the best play on the floor open on consecutive trips?

The first 3 from the corner, I think she was covered and made a tough shot. The second 3 was very careless. And Boley for all her misses made the go ahead 3. They had plenty of open shots but I would not view this game as representative. OU just had a poor shooting game in general.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Engstler reminds me of a smaller version of Jessica Shepard. She can play the 3/4 and is wide for someone 6'1". She uses her size to battle in the point very well.

When I saw her during her sophomore year, she was "the big kid" beating up on the slightly smaller other HS players. She worked hard to add the intermediate, then outside game. Tough player...I wish ND had given more of a look: gosh knows they were close enough given that Engstler's St. Francis team played in the same league as Nixon's Mary Louis Academy.

Reaction Score
Cazorla got going late, finished w/ 14 and 5 assists. Kinda quiet game for Hebard, 11 points but 14 big rebounds. Sabally was invisible today. After a good first half Gildon disappeared. Not much from the bench. Enough to the Ducks to get the win but just barely. I'm sure they will improve, but they certainly did not look like they are going to be head and shoulders above the rest of the Pac 12.
Have to agree with nwhoopfan. I'll be surprised if any team in PAC-12 has less than 2 losses in league play this year.

Reaction Score
The first 3 from the corner, I think she was covered and made a tough shot. The second 3 was very careless. And Boley for all her misses made the go ahead 3. They had plenty of open shots but I would not view this game as representative. OU just had a poor shooting game in general.

Well for the most part I thought they game planned well. If I were coaching though, I would have went man to man the last two minutes to throw them off and keep the ball out of Ionescu’s hands.

Reaction Score
It's early, but I've got Mike Blue down for the quote of the season "....THIS YEAR Oregon is comparable to UConn." Not sure that bodes well for UConn.
That's right folks, I said it and won't walk it back. They're talented and have more than a lot of teams out there...but I guess that's why they're ranked #3 in the nation. So, for those of you like Lotrader who won't admit the obvious please pay attention. Of course, Lotrader hasn't offered his educated opinion on who he deems better, but that's what ppl who don't really offer anything relevant do, they criticize, hoot and howl, but offer nothing of substance. My hat off to you, Lotrader, you have proven yourself already this season... and we're only on day 4! ;) Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
That's right folks, I said it and won't walk it back. They're talented and have more than a lot of teams out there...but I guess that's why they're ranked #3 in the nation. So, for those of you like Lotrader who won't admit the obvious please pay attention. Of course, Lotrader hasn't offered his educated opinion on who he deems better, but that's what ppl who don't really offer anything relevant do, they criticize, hoot and howl, but offer nothing of substance. My hat off to you, Lotrader, you have proven yourself already this season... and we're only on day 4! ;) Go Huskies!
Mike, I'll stop. Peace

Reaction Score
I noticed that Oregon likes to play Sabrina in that high post spot above the paint. She's good there because she can pass and hit the mid range floater. But that left Sabally just standing beyond the arc. I think they should give her a few more high post plays

Reaction Score
I predicted Oregon would win but not by a landslide......................I don't think this game will be representative of Oregon's play throughout the season.................there are really very few teams out there that play ball like Syracuse and it's not easy to replicate their speed in practice..............who wants to play a team like that this early in the season................it was clearly a trap game....................were they to play them again, I think the game would not be as close........

Reaction Score
Mike, I'll stop. Peace
No need to, Lotrader. Just some friendly banter. I know I'm new to the Boneyard, but I've been watching women's basketball pretty intensely for over 20 years. It doesn't make me an expert, but sometimes we fall into this trap of thinking the past is a direct indicator of the present and future. Oregon's talent is there, short of Notre Dame and UConn, but not by much. We recruited Ionescu and Boley and I'm sure Geno would take Hebard and Sabally without a second thought. No team out there aside from the 2 ranked above them can compare, whether they show it night in n night out that's another matter altogether. Add to that they're still relatively young. Notre Dame has 4 seniors and a junior starting by comparison, it's why us UConn fans do all this hand wringing early in the season. The talent is there, but will the mature come quick enough for us to hold it together in NCAA's? I see Oregon being in the same place regarding that maturity and their diversity in size and talent makes them comparable to UConn. And say what you want, I remember that game in the 16-17 season we barely escaped Tulane. We had all the talent and Tulane was Tulane, granted it was an aberration, I would not sleep on Oregon or undervalued what they have as a team because they lack speed and athleticism. They have things in areas we are deficient. So if they're making their shots and killing us on the boards, if we have an off day shooting we're in trouble. Just some thoughts, my friend. And, again I ask you, who do you truly put ahead of them? Go Huskies!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The game was closer than I expected.

Sabrina is very skilled, but does lack foot speed. That’s her one negative.

I think Geno and several of us wanted Erin Boley a few years ago.

Reaction Score
Basically, yes.

ouch!!.................as ND proved last year and sadly as UConn proved the past two years.............individual wins and losses during the regular season mean very little when it comes to determining the eventual national champion...........

Reaction Score
ouch!!.......as ND proved last year and sadly as UConn proved the past two years...individual wins and losses during the regular season mean very little when it comes to determining the eventual national champion......
A 10-point win vs Ohio State could portend a much-unexpected season of total incompetence. I think we win by 40+, and that's only because we take the foot off the pedal and play lots of different combos early.

Reaction Score
If Syracuse shots the ball from outside(5-28, 17.9%) even remotely close to their norm and Oregon does not receive some "home cooking" calls from the officials(21-12 pf difference and 25-7 ft difference), Syracuse wins this game by double digits!

Reaction Score
A 10-point win vs Ohio State could portend a much-unexpected season of total incompetence. I think we win by 40+, and that's only because we take the foot off the pedal and play lots of different combos early.

well I too certainly wouldn't be thrilled by that outcome but one game doesn't a season make.................especially a game so early in the year..............the ND game is coming up fast and if they manage to beat UConn I'm not going give up on the team...........as Geno always says a loss can be a good thing for a team as it gives them something to get angry about for the rest of the season........

Reaction Score
well I too certainly wouldn't be thrilled by that outcome but one game doesn't a season make.......especially a game so early in the season....the ND game is coming up fast and if they manage to beat UConn I'm not going give up on the season......as Geno always says a loss can be a good thing for a team as it gives them something to get angry about for the rest of the season...
Me either, but ND is WAY better than Ohio State.

(And “loss” = “good thing” is an oxymoron.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom