Syracuse at Oregon on Saturday Afternoon (who wins?) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Syracuse at Oregon on Saturday Afternoon (who wins?)

Will Syracuse Beat Oregon?

• Yes, I think they will.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • No way, Oregon dominates.

Votes: 52 65.8%
  • Oregon wins, but not by much.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • Shocker, Syracuse dominates.

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Back court depth could bite UO at some point during the season. There isn't much beyond Ionescu and Cazorla. Yaeger played sparingly and didn't produce much as a Fr. before missing last year with an injury. Chavez is a Fr., don't know what to expect from her. That's it. Boley and Sabally really aren't guards. If either of the starters gets injured or in foul trouble they could be in trouble.

Reaction Score
I agree with your comments about guard depth. The first month should be telling. I also agree that running the table in the PAC-12 will be almost impossible. We’ll all get a good read on how good they are when they play Mississippi St. in December.

The one player I’m curious to see play this year is Satou Sabally. In some games last year she looked like the best player on the floor. In others she disappeared and appeared to defer to the older players. Will she make a big freshman to sophomore jump. If she does that will make it tough on the rest of the conference.

Reaction Score
Yes, time will tell my friends. Or St and Stanford have a chance, to quote Chris Berman, " ...and that's why they play the game." However, barring a meltdown and injury (this goes for any team), I stand by my prediction that they will go undefeated into the NCAA's. I just don't see it in their schedule where there is one team you could say, "Yeah, they're can lose that one." It will be fun to watch and kick around til then. As it stands, Ms St is the hardest game on their schedule, so we will see.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I agree with your comments about guard depth. The first month should be telling. I also agree that running the table in the PAC-12 will be almost impossible. We’ll all get a good read on how good they are when they play Mississippi St. in December.

The one player I’m curious to see play this year is Satou Sabally. In some games last year she looked like the best player on the floor. In others she disappeared and appeared to defer to the older players. Will she make a big freshman to sophomore jump. If she does that will make it tough on the rest of the conference.

I also believe that Sabally's development (or not) will be a key for Oregon this year. She had a very good summer. During the FIBA U20 European Tournament she was both the leading scorer (20 points/game, 48% fgp) and rebounder (10/game), so she averaged a double/double. She also led the tournament in efficiency (24.6/game) and averaged 3.4 assists--and all of this without much help. See

My top 10 players from #FIBAU20Europe in Sopron

If she does anything close to that this season then Oregon will be a really tough out. She looked good in Alaska as did both reserve guards (Chavez, especially, was quite a surprise), but that wasn't much of a challenge. How they do against Syracuse should provide a better measuring stick.

Reaction Score
I understand your reservation but I don't believe there is another team, particularly in the Pac-12, that has the chemistry and arsenal that they have. I would think Oregon St and Stanford are their contenders in your mind, and if so... Oregon St., until proven, does not have the fire power to run with Oregon. Yes, they are tall, but not all of that length will be on the floor and that length isn't proven either in its talent or ability. Oregon is tall too, but Hebard, Sabally and Boley are all proven in a competitive environment. As for Stanford, I think they are on a lesser level than Oregon St. I believe it has to be a slow 'em down and beat ' em down game for either Oregon St or Stanford to have a chance. Either way, both teams bring less to the table and though they have a chance I wouldn't put money on either one.
The statement "Oregon St., until proven does not have the fire power to run with Oregon" is interesting. The one thing OSU has this year is firepower, more so than ever before. Rueck's single biggest challenge is how to manage and substitute this offensive firepower. Destiny Slocum, Mikayla Pivec, Katie McWilliams, Kat Tudor, Taya Corosdale, Aleah Goodman, are more firepower than OSU has ever had on a single team. OSU's single biggest question mark is post defense, and post rebounding. OSU is going to put up a lot of points this year. Oregon could run the table, they are that good, but, in the PAC-12, it is nearly impossible to run the table.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
A pressing team in their first or 2nd game of the year playing a team with two PG level ball handlers, one who is the best passer in the country...this could be pretty ugly for Syracuse. Game is over by halftime IMO.

Reaction Score
The line is Oregon -14 with a total of 146.

I think Syracuse keeps it close, but loses.

Reaction Score
The statement "Oregon St., until proven does not have the fire power to run with Oregon" is interesting. The one thing OSU has this year is firepower, more so than ever before. Rueck's single biggest challenge is how to manage and substitute this offensive firepower. Destiny Slocum, Mikayla Pivec, Katie McWilliams, Kat Tudor, Taya Corosdale, Aleah Goodman, are more firepower than OSU has ever had on a single team. OSU's single biggest question mark is post defense, and post rebounding. OSU is going to put up a lot of points this year. Oregon could run the table, they are that good, but, in the PAC-12, it is nearly impossible to run the table.
OSU you having their best team ever has exactly what to do with the level Oregon is on? That's like saying USF has their best team ever and so UConn shouldn't expect to run the table in the AAC. Time will tell... Go Huskies!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
OSU you having their best team ever has exactly what to do with the level Oregon is on? That's like saying USF has their best team ever and so UConn shouldn't expect to run the table in the AAC. Time will tell... Go Huskies!

That's a bit of an odd analogy. Oregon isn't at UConn's level and OSU is a better program than USF (Final 4 and Elite 8 2 of the last 3 years for OSU, USF can't ever get out of the first weekend). Not to mention UO and OSU split their games last year and the Ducks win broke a 14 game losing streak against the Beavers. USF has never beat UConn, right? So, again, that's just a weird analogy.

Reaction Score
That's a bit of an odd analogy. Oregon isn't at UConn's level and OSU is a better program than USF (Final 4 and Elite 8 2 of the last 3 years for OSU, USF can't ever get out of the first weekend). Not to mention UO and OSU split their games last year and the Ducks win broke a 14 game losing streak against the Beavers. USF has never beat UConn, right? So, again, that's just a weird analogy.
Look, u keep talking about the past with these teams as if that is a direct indicator of what will happen in the present. These teams change every year, and THIS YEAR Oregon is comparable to UConn. As for something being "weird," I think you should reflect on your desire to continue to quote the past like that has anything to do with what Oregon or Oregon St will do this year. At the end of the day this is all opinion and speculation, so, as I've said before, we will see how it plays out... Starting today. Go Huskies!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There ought to be a law against floors painted like that !

PS. Pretty empty arena, but starting to look better. Avg 4250 =/-.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Boley is not shy about chucking up shots. Ionescu and Hebard invisible so far. So...if you have 2 players that good returning, having a newcomer shoot the ball every possession doesn't seem like the best strategy. I know it's early.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
ESPN has no box score. Lame. I think Hebard is scoreless. Ionescu got going w/ a couple jumpers. Ducks 20-10 after Q1. UO can play quite a bit better, Syracuse is gonna have a hard time keeping this close.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Cazorla is struggling a bit w/ Syracuse pressure. A couple TOs in a row for the Ducks. 20-14.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Boley has shot the ball almost every time she's touched. Too many other talented players for her to be playing like that.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think Boley is 3-11 or 3-12. She's gotta stop shooting so much. Selfish.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Hebard getting going, Gildon has giving them a nice lift too. 31-16 Ducks.

Reaction Score
Cuse keeps chucking it up from deep... they are not Oregon State. If they could shoot like them, this would be an exciting game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Syracuse looks undisciplined and out of control, poor shot selection. I'm not impressed at all w/ the Orange.

Reaction Score
Pretty poor game. I started watching during the second quarter. I seen Boley's pump fake, dribble pull up inside the arc and it looked sweet. Then I seen her chuck up four more shots, and she seems to be having the same struggles she did at ND. Her shot is too low and she's not athetical enough unless the shot is wide open. And a few were.

Syracuse I chucking up 3s and they haven't been close.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom