Syracuse at Oregon on Saturday Afternoon (who wins?) | The Boneyard

Syracuse at Oregon on Saturday Afternoon (who wins?)

Will Syracuse Beat Oregon?

• Yes, I think they will.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • No way, Oregon dominates.

Votes: 52 65.8%
  • Oregon wins, but not by much.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • Shocker, Syracuse dominates.

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Can #18 Syracuse go to Eugene and come home with a win against #3 Oregon? Both are 1-0 winning their first game easily. Game is at 5 p.m. eastern.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Oregon will win and they could win huge. They way Coach Q likes to play (up-tempo, pressing) works to Oregon's advantage. Pressing can backfire against a good passing team and a team with good ballhandlers and Oregon fits both descriptions.

Ionescu should go nuts in this one. They are going to be finding the open player on the backside of the press all day long.

Reaction Score
Oregon will win but because Syracuse has so many new players, I have zero idea how competitive a game it will be...........if they play their usual style it should be a pretty high scoring game unless Oregon decides they don't want to run..........

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see OR strength of schedule come tournament time.

Reaction Score
Yes Cuse is young but they have a very talented team with depth. I expect Oregon to win but if Engstler and Lewis have big games off the bench and their starters play well it could be a close one.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I believe this is the first matchup of ranked teams this season. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Reaction Score
I believe this is the first matchup of ranked teams this season. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

1541787295506.png

Reaction Score
So, I watched Syracuse's first game from mid-court. In the first half Q used too many subs, but man, he can rotate people in and out and play pressure D. I suspect though, that the Oregon guards will be able to break the press consistently. Syracuse plays a good 2-3 zone in the half court as well. Syracuse's D can disrupt Oregon, but they will no be able to score with them at the rate to make this close. I see Oregon by 20-25.

However, the most talented player on that floor not named Ionescu just might be Engstler of Syracuse. She is just a stud.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Minnesota and Central Michigan tried to match Oregon going up tempo in the Tourney last year. That resulted in a pair of easy wins for the Ducks. I think they'll beat Syracuse fairly easily as well.

I know last year is last year, but UO only lost once in Eugene last year. That was against Stanford when Brittany McPhee turned superhuman and scored 31 points after halftime.

Reaction Score
Minnesota and Central Michigan tried to match Oregon going up tempo in the Tourney last year. That resulted in a pair of easy wins for the Ducks. I think they'll beat Syracuse fairly easily as well.

I know last year is last year, but UO only lost once in Eugene last year. That was against Stanford when Brittany McPhee turned superhuman and scored 31 points after halftime.

And don't forget the 2OT victory over USC where the Trojans played six players.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Oregon will win but because Syracuse has so many new players, I have zero idea how competitive a game it will be......if they play their usual style it should be a pretty high scoring game unless Oregon decides they don't want to run.....

I agree not only with the "so many new players" but the "many players."
Q is something of a mad mixologist when he's throwing in different players to do everything from full-court pressure to dropping back to a zone on defense, while all the time launching shots ... fast.

That said, it takes a bit to see how what ingredients work best and doing that on Oregon's home court is probably too much to ask, particularly when playing against a team led by "Cool Hand Sabrina."

This could be a run and gun game for the smart-board set: look at this outlet pass; here's a 3 on 2; and, how about that drop pass to Boley for a three!

On the other hand, Syracuse will also run the break and Tiana Mangakahia might raise her game here, particularly given the help she has once Ohio State transfer Kiara Lewis and super frosh Emily Engstler come on court. (I've seen Engstler play in person and she's tough as nails and has developed a nice outside touch.)

As the season comes on, I'm looking to see how those three get on, aided by French players Kadiatou Sissoko and Maeva Djaldi-Tabdi, both of whom are over 6' tall, as is Engstler.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To me, Engstler looks like she is at least 6'2"

I watched her in layup lines and she is tall.

Reaction Score
Sissoko and Engstler are going to be a duo to look out for in the future! They both looked good in the first game - Engstler was particularly impressive.

Reaction Score
I agree not only with the "so many new players" but the "many players."

On the other hand, Syracuse will also run the break and Tiana Mangakahia might raise her game here, particularly given the help she has once Ohio State transfer Kiara Lewis and super frosh Emily Engstler come on court. (I've seen Engstler play in person and she's tough as nails and has developed a nice outside touch.)

As the season comes on, I'm looking to see how those three get on, aided by French players Kadiatou Sissoko and Maeva Djaldi-Tabdi, bot of whom are over 6' tall, as is Engstler.

I was disappointed that UConn didn't take a longer look at Engstler............she's skilled and tough............they certainly could have used her this year and next

Reaction Score
I was disappointed that UConn didn't take a longer look at Engstler..she's skilled and tough..they certainly could have used her this year and next

Me too! She has a very well rounded game. Good shooter, ball handler and great passer!

Reaction Score
Oregon by 20+. I'm thinking the Sabally girl is going to be a real problem for a lot of teams, then you add Go let who is very comfortable and efficient around the perimeter...smh... It's gna be rough for a lot of teams! Ionescu and Hebard are their steady forces... What is this team lacking? Unless they have a meltdown look for Oregon to go into NCAA undefeated!

Reaction Score
Oregon by 20+. I'm thinking the Sabally girl is going to be a real problem for a lot of teams, then you add Boley who is very comfortable and efficient around the perimeter...smh... It's gna be rough for a lot of teams! Ionescu and Hebard are their steady forces... What is this team lacking? Unless they have a meltdown look for Oregon to go into NCAA undefeated!

Reaction Score
Syracuse returned all 5 starters, but I think their 3 most talented players come off the bench. The comments above are right on, Sissoko and Engstler are legit, so is the transfer Lewis. Syracuse is incredibly deep, which is how they like it. But this game is too early in the season, I think Oregon will slice through the press and win, just like UConn did in the final a three years ago. Syracuse would need an exceptional three point shooting performance to have a chance. I wish the game was later in the season.
I’ve watched a lot of Engstler, and she is big and offensively talented. I think UConn passed because of lack of defensive motor.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
That's bold. I will all but guarantee they aren't running the table in the Pac 12.

Wish I could predict otherwise, but I agree. As for Syracuse, I think they'll have to shoot a lot better than they have typically to have a chance.

Reaction Score
That's bold. I will all but guarantee they aren't running the table in the Pac 12.
I understand your reservation but I don't believe there is another team, particularly in the Pac-12, that has the chemistry and arsenal that they have. I would think Oregon St and Stanford are their contenders in your mind, and if so... Oregon St., until proven, does not have the fire power to run with Oregon. Yes, they are tall, but not all of that length will be on the floor and that length isn't proven either in its talent or ability. Oregon is tall too, but Hebard, Sabally and Boley are all proven in a competitive environment. As for Stanford, I think they are on a lesser level than Oregon St. I believe it has to be a slow 'em down and beat ' em down game for either Oregon St or Stanford to have a chance. Either way, both teams bring less to the table and though they have a chance I wouldn't put money on either one.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Yeah OSU and Stanford are the two most likely teams to beat UO, they both did it last year. But it's more the fact that hardly anybody has run thru the Pac 12 18-0. Maybe Stanford a few times when they were truly dominant? Oregon might be marginally better this year than last year, but they are a far cry from those Stanford teams that went to the Final 4 6 out of 7 years.

Okay, I looked it up. Tara has run the table 7 times in conference! That's more than I expected. Last time was 2011-12. There's a LOT more competitive balance in the conference than there used to be. The regular season champ has had at least 2 losses 4 years running, I think that's more likely this season than undefeated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom