Syracuse: AD out, Boeheim retiring in 3 years | The Boneyard

Syracuse: AD out, Boeheim retiring in 3 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
How much better could that timing be for Boeheim? Whoever takes over (Hopkins, et al.) will be left with a tire fire while Jimmy solidifies his legacy as SU's greatest of all time.

caw

Reaction Score
Interesting, new AD means he potentially isnt beholden to Boeheim or his "coach-in-waiting."

Unless they make the coach in waiting legit, they will be fighting with UK for one and domes the next few years.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
This is what I see going down. Jimmy B announces that he's going to be here for 3 more years. This provides some level of certainty to recruits they have coming in next year and in 2016. Then, at the end of the 2015-16 season, he abruptly announces that he's retiring and Hopkins steps in. Naturally they may have 1 or 2 recruits ask for a release, but it also doesn't allow other programs to recruit over them for very long using the "your HOF coach will be gone while you're a sophomore" line.

caw

Reaction Score
They are also apparently appealing the scholarship reduction.

Reaction Score
@EvanDaniels: This Jim Boeheim news is bound to hurt recruiting, unless they go ahead and name Mike Hopkins their next coach. He's earned it, IMO.

Reaction Score
This is all about reducing the NCAA sanctions. They have already appealed and now that the AD is gone and the offending coach is on his way out the NCAA can save face and pull a Penn State (i.e. significant reductions in sanctions).

Reaction Score
This is all about reducing the NCAA sanctions. They have already appealed and now that the AD is gone and the offending coach is on his way out the NCAA can save face and pull a Penn State (i.e. significant reductions in sanctions).
Penn State is a completely different situation.

Did USC get their penalties reduced at all through appeal?

Reaction Score
Penn State is a completely different situation.

Did USC get their penalties reduced at all through appeal?
Nope: http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2011-05-26/infractions-decision-stands-usc

Agreed about Penn State vs. Syracuse - the NCAA had to save face with Penn State because they really shouldn't have gotten involved in the first place. The violations at Syracuse, though, are completely different. And Syracuse isn't exactly endearing itself to the NCAA, so I don't know why they would grant them any sort of appeal.

Reaction Score
Nope: http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2011-05-26/infractions-decision-stands-usc

Agreed about Penn State vs. Syracuse - the NCAA had to save face with Penn State because they really shouldn't have gotten involved in the first place. The violations at Syracuse, though, are completely different. And Syracuse isn't exactly endearing itself to the NCAA, so I don't know why they would grant them any sort of appeal.
Since 2008, only one appeal of NCAA sanctions has been successful.

I thought USC's penalties were too severe considering what they have doled out to other places, but the NCAA also has no rhyme or reason.

I would be surprised if Cuse gets any reduction through appeal.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Because the P5 will order them to. Syracuse is going to skate.

Reaction Score
It makes sense from a recruiting standpoint in the short term, giving guarantees to their incoming class that JB will be there.

Again, it's extremely weird for someone to announce their retirement three years in advance.

Reaction Score
Because you don't want to effect next year's recruiting class.
A lot of these recruits believe they will be in the NBA in 3 year.

Reaction Score
Definitely a surprise to see him announce this. Pointing out the obvious as others have said but this is definitely going to impact recruiting.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This is all about keeping this class together. JB wants one more run. He's saying 3 years because none of the incoming kids think they will be there.

I half expect JB for follow Calhoun' so lead. Coach next two years and split right before year three.

He must be under some pressure to resign otherwise he's dumb to announce this.

Reaction Score
This will stabilize recruiting. He is going to stay through the tough part of the sanctions (if they stand) and then turn the keys over to the next guy. If he left sooner, it would be a problem. His name and their brand will make this already too soft blow even softer.

Reaction Score
All the crap that happened directly under his nose and he stays for 3 more years and the AD is looking at the exhaust system of a Fung Wah? Amazing.....:rolleyes:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The next person who mentions Penn State as an example for Syracuse getting their penalty reduced gets banned for the rest of their lives. That ain't how it works on infraction cases, so just stop.

Hopkins is f---ed.

His stock is down after the penalties and whatever association he may have and he apparently doesn't interview well. His boss has just announced that he 'plans' on retiring in three years, which could mean three years or two years or five years or until they find him slumped over at his desk. He can't move up to the head job at Syracuse, he has shown no ability to get a decent high-major gig....

He should fax his resume to Fordham today.

Reaction Score
It finally all caught up with Boeheim. Big difference between him and Calhoun. Calhoun's kids did not meet an academic standard that was put in place after the fact. Nate Miles was a disaster but Boeheim's penalties are all about cheating. Let's see what people say about JB. They never hesitated to all over Calhoun. Can't wait for Calipari to implode.

Reaction Score
Lets hope the Zone lives on even when he's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom